Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Anyone see Guardians? I’m thinking about marathoning some non-US superhero films and as much as I like The Return of Captain Invincible and Zebraman, I don’t think I can sit through either of them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Black Widow solo movie with Jennifer Lawrence is out before that. :v:

I still can't believe that movie isn't just Black Widow. Isn't it even called some kind of Color Animal thing?

McCloud posted:

There are plenty acts of selflessness and heroism in both movies that don't end in death, perhaps you just don't remember them? You also seem confused about Ghost dads message. It's not that death is a result of doing good, it's that doing good can sometimes result in undesirable consequences. In this case, it's half of society freaking out over Superman, and the other half deifying him. He also doesn't say that you should move on " via a woman" but that he himself coped by having a person who reminded him that our world, imperfect though it is, still had good in it, and worth fighting for. Your interpretation of this scen seems seems infinitely more cynical than mine and you're projecting your own cynicism on this scene.

Supermans powers are explicitly limited and not an infinity sign, because if they were, he'd be boring. That's what this movie is trying to get away from. If you want a SpaceDad to come in and solve all the problems by turning back time with a fatherly smile then yeah, you won't like this Superman because again, this movie isn't trying to appeal to the authoritarian fantasy of a strongman solving all our problems by punching them away. In fact, in these movies, violence only compounds the problems Superman faces. Violence comes at a cost and raises the stakes. It's only through compassion and sacrifice that Superman wins (by converting Batman and defeating Doomsday respectively).

You got me there, I might not remember them. I'd love to be reminded. I can't think of anything Clark does in Man of Steel that doesn't result in someone dying or a whole bunch of stuff getting wrecked or both. There was the bus thing. He is immediately scolded for that one.

Ghost Dad's message is that even when you do things for the best reasons, there can be consequences. That's the message on paper. In practice, doing things for good reasons always results in severe consequences. There's not enough good things happening without a bad thing following it up. He doesn't say outright to move on via a woman, duh. He does say Martha is what helped him move on and Clark straight up tells Lois that she's the reason he keeps chuggin along. It's right there, so of course that's how I'm gonna take it.

I don't really see how Snyder's Superman is any more limited than the one from say the animated series in terms of powers. He has all the basic stuff. It's what goes on around him that keeps it from being boring. Note that I've never brought up lack of action as a criticism of the film. I think the best Superman is built around problems that he cannot punch. I still don't think that means MARTHAAAAA is a grand act of compassion and wit. There are levels between invincible punchman who flies around the Earth and snapping Zod's neck because there's just no other way. Please stop trying to push Donner Superman flying around the Earth onto me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the piss jar scene.

Not the one from the theatrical cut where Holly Hunter drinks the piss, I mean the one from the extended addition where you see him fill up the jar, Mercy is holding the jar and is like "what did you drink!?" And he replies "What did I drink? The truth, Ms Graves. The truth. And it goes down smooth."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if we will get a full Deadpool 2 trailer by the Super Bowl, or if they are saving it for that. It’s coming out in 4 months.

It will probably be attached to Solo: A Star Wars Story. :v:

SonicRulez posted:

I still can't believe that movie isn't just Black Widow. Isn't it even called some kind of Color Animal thing?

Red Sparrow - adapted from a novel.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jennifer Lawrence is the Black Widow Red Sparrow

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like a romance/thriller, not an action movie though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The fear is if he is exposed early before he or the world is ready, he will never become Superman. Jonathan senses the world is going to need him, if he is taken away to a government lab or exiled from society that will never happen.

Also he doesn't tell him he should have let those kids die. His answer is "maybe" quickly amended to "I don't know"

It's funny though in that reset era thread someone referenced (maybe in the other thread) someone made an effort post about the K Waste video and the very first reply was "Does he have an existing for why Pa Kent told him to kill those kids?"

His answer is “maybe...” then immediately moves into being afraid that he’ll get out found out. He doesn’t amend anything.

https://youtu.be/Yo5FYoFCMEc

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

I think that was more Passion than compassion.

Are you implying that Doomsday is some sort of Jewish monster?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

It's like a romance/thriller, not an action movie though.

I was going to say, it's a bit more John Le Carré than Ian Fleming.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rhyno posted:

This version could be construed as some sort of golem I suppose

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

No, that's Ben Grimm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

No, that's Ben Grimm.

:golfclap:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robin really should have been in BvS so that when the Spear of Destiny was used he could have yelled "Holy Lance, Batman!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If Superman hadn't killed Zod and just captured him, where the gently caress would they keep him? I don't remember a Phantom Zone in MoS but I haven't seen it in a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

If Superman hadn't killed Zod and just captured him, where the gently caress would they keep him? I don't remember a Phantom Zone in MoS but I haven't seen it in a while.

He sent all the other Kryptonians there. Well, Hamilton and Elliot Stabler did.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The right thing to do would be to spare Zod, give him a stern lesson and explain how he is not a monster like him. Then Clark would turn his back and walk away, and Zod would get up and prepare to attack and then Clark would kill him. That's how real heroes do it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

It's literally where the Kryptonian Council sent Zod and his company after their treason, and is the only reason they survived the destruction of Krypton, if I recall

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BiggerBoat posted:

There was a phantom zone, they blew the drive to send all the Kryptonians there, except Zod who had escaped the ship, or been knocked off it earlier.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Samuringa posted:

The right thing to do would be to spare Zod, give him a stern lesson and explain how he is not a monster like him. Then Clark would turn his back and walk away, and Zod would get up and prepare to attack and then Clark would kill him. That's how real heroes do it.

Incorrect.

You'd see him about to stab Clark, then hear a gunshot, Zod would fall, and the camera would pan over to officer Carl "I shot a kid" Winslow

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't there a Kryptonian ship where nobody had any powers?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Anyone see Guardians? I’m thinking about marathoning some non-US superhero films and as much as I like The Return of Captain Invincible and Zebraman, I don’t think I can sit through either of them again.

If you've seen Zebraman, you can't pass up Z2: Assault on Zebra City.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't there a Kryptonian ship where nobody had any powers?

Not exactly. The kryptonian atmosphere only robbed Superman of his powers temporarily, just as there Earth's atmosphere only caused pain and comfort to Zod and Faora temporarily. Clark overcame the weakness in his battle against the world engine. That ship and everyone aboard was sent to the phantom zone, it was the one doing the terraforming.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It took me way to long to watch the Lego Batman movie (why did that movie take so long to get to a streaming service?). Anyway, one of the many things I loved about it was how a major plot point was set up by inferring Lego Superman had a MoS type adventure off-screen, and it was solved by (SURPRISE) sending Zod to the phantom zone. What I'm saying is, give creative control of the DCCU to the Lego people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the other hand seeing Superman twist Zod's Lego head off would be funny.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Nipponophile posted:

If you've seen Zebraman, you can't pass up Z2: Assault on Zebra City.

AKA The Purge Zero.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This scene would definitely make a lot more sense in a Lego version of Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwHe0NqVvY

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

The problem here is that Pa Kent is teaching Clark about self-sacrifice by telling Clark to be selfish, instead. By stopping Clark from saving his life, he's telling Clark that Clark's life is more important than the lives of others, including those he loves. It's another one of those Snyderian logic sinkholes, an cycle of self-defeating assertions like a snake eating its own tail.

This is dumb. He's saying Clark that his life is more important than his own life, not that his life is more important than all others. This interpretation simply doesn't hold any water at all in the context of the rest of the movie.

Rhyno posted:

He sent all the other Kryptonians there. Well, Hamilton and Elliot Stabler did.

That was clearly a one-time thing, considering the ship imploded into the phantom zone. Not an option for detaining Zod.

SonicRulez posted:

You got me there, I might not remember them. I'd love to be reminded. I can't think of anything Clark does in Man of Steel that doesn't result in someone dying or a whole bunch of stuff getting wrecked or both. There was the bus thing. He is immediately scolded for that one.

He saves people in the oil rig, the school bus, the soldiers in the fight in smallville, Lois multiple times, and also the 7 billion inhabitants of earth. This is excluding the whole montage of him saving people in BvS and the day of the dead thing.

[quote="SonicRulez" post="480039047"]
Ghost Dad's message is that even when you do things for the best reasons, there can be consequences. That's the message on paper. In practice, doing things for good reasons always results in severe consequences. There's not enough good things happening without a bad thing following it up. He doesn't say outright to move on via a woman, duh. He does say Martha is what helped him move on and Clark straight up tells Lois that she's the reason he keeps chuggin along. It's right there, so of course that's how I'm gonna take it.

There are no negative consequences for saving people in the oil rig, nor saving the kids in the bus (aside from a talking to from pa), or saving the soldiers, (instead they start trusting him) or saving Lois (who falls in love with him) or destroying the terraforming machine (saves the world).

And again, your cynical disposition colors your viewing of the film. It's not "some woman" who keeps him chugging along, it's his love for Lois, because to him she represents what he is fighting for and what anchors him to his human side. It's no coincidence that they had a scene with him floating listless in the ocean when he was roaming the world. This is inspired straight from the comic books.

Aphrodite posted:

What's your favorite BvS scene?

Mine is when Superman compassions the spear through Doomsday's heart.

I'm a big fan of the warehouse scene myself, but also the day of the dead scene.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

In BVS ma kent tells clark that he doesn't own the world a thing. Which is maybe something you shouldn't tell the godlike alien and reinforces Singer's weirdly randian view of super heroes.

Superman's weird dream thing has Pa kent telling a story of how the one time he did something heroic it caused the death of the animals in the nearby farm.

gently caress the kents in the DCEU.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

In BVS ma kent tells clark that he doesn't own the world a thing. Which is maybe something you shouldn't tell the godlike alien and reinforces Singer's weirdly randian view of super heroes.

Superman's weird dream thing has Pa kent telling a story of how the one time he did something heroic it caused the death of the animals in the nearby farm.

gently caress the kents in the DCEU.

Eh.

Whatever you want to say about the Kents, Superman doesn't end up following their advice. At the end of the day he takes the challenge on and sacrifices himself to save everyone (multiple times, he tries to get himself nuked too.) You can argue that is what they intended all along or that Superman ended up not following their advice or whatever but I don't think it reinforces things where Superman doesn't follow it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Eh.

Whatever you want to say about the Kents, Superman doesn't end up following their advice. At the end of the day he takes the challenge on and sacrifices himself to save everyone (multiple times, he tries to get himself nuked too.) You can argue that is what they intended all along or that Superman ended up not following their advice or whatever but I don't think it reinforces things where Superman doesn't follow it.

I know that he doesn't but then again I'm not a fan of how it's jor-el who pressures him into becoming superman.

and I think that a big part of superman is how the kents raised him right and it's because of their upbringing that he's the way he is. He should be superman because of the kents, not in spite of them.

It's a personal thing, I admit, and I could be venturing into "NOT MY SUPERMAN" territory.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You keep telling me that it's not his love for a woman, it's his love for Lois. Lois Lane is a woman last I checked. I just think it's a tired trope in film, not a specific flaw unique to Man of Steel. Men overcome personal tragedy because women just have that touch. It's boring.

I mentioned destruction for a reason. A whole lot of poo poo gets blown up when Superman fights the Kryptonians. I'm not a cynic. I'm just looking at the movie. When Superman saves the day either a bunch of poo poo gets blown up or someone or many people die. Or someone chews him out for it or puts him in handcuffs or something. No good deed and all that. It's a view of Superman that isn't really what I care to see.

Monaghan posted:

He should be superman because of the kents, not in spite of them.

This. What's the point in them if they hinder the path to Superman and are also meant to be characters I empathize with?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's a LOT of extremely valid criticisms of MoS that the CineD brigade likes to handwave away because it shares some opinions with "not my superman", which is almost as dumb and facile a statement as saying "if you don't like snyder's movies you're just too dumb to get them"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Now I quadruple can't wait for Black Panther.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Now I quadruple can't wait for Black Panther.

Black Panther and the Lion King gonna be loving LIT.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
At what point does it go from “not my Superman” to “might as well be a different character altogether”?

I’m not necessarily making that argument about MoS-I still think that’s Superman, albeit a bad one—but I’m just curious as to how people would draw that line.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The most hilarious thing of the BvS defense squad is not only are they patronizing and elitist, but they're patronizing and elitist about a loving Zack Snyder superhero movie. They write reams of text and overanalytical bullshit using words they usually don't fully understand simply to hector and bully people into liking a movie they don't, and it's a Zack Snyder superhero movie funded by loving Warner Brothers. At least if it was loving like, the Requiem for a Dream defense squad or the Blue Velvet defense squad I'd sort of respect them for being so goddamn insufferable and rude about something that tries to be an actual for-reals Art Film, but it's the level of ostensible "critical insight" applied to a superhero flick, from a guy who has made his trade making dumbass action movies with very little to say. (And this is speaking as a guy who loves 300 for the sheer spectacle of it all.) It's like yelling at people because they don't like whatever certain type of fast food you do, but worse than that, literally arguing that if you don't like eating In-N-Out's Double-Double you're literally too goddamn stupid to get it and here, let me write up a 3k word "explainer" that mostly consists of me calling you an idiot in increasingly more convoluted ways because you don't like this certain item off the Taco Bell menu. If you're gonna be patronizing and your whole persona is based off how much more intelligent and clever you are to get a movie those filthy proles don't, at least target a film that deserves it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I know that he doesn't but then again I'm not a fan of how it's jor-el who pressures him into becoming superman.

and I think that a big part of superman is how the kents raised him right and it's because of their upbringing that he's the way he is. He should be superman because of the kents, not in spite of them.

It's a personal thing, I admit, and I could be venturing into "NOT MY SUPERMAN" territory.

Friend, you're not only venturing, you're deep in the heartlands of NMS land!

Obviously there are some who agree with your take, but I like the more grounded take on the Kents. They're obviously aware that one misstep can turn Clark into the Plutonian, or someone like Zod, so they have to make sure that he's mature enough to handle the tremendous burden.

Him coming out of the supercloset is probably earths singular most important event, and I like that the ramifications of that are suitably tremendous, unlike the avengers where Gamma radiation monsters, aliens and gods are kinda shrugged off.

I will say I do find it odd how people think Wonder Woman is a more optimistic and happier movie despite that she assassinates a General in cold blood, murders soldiers in a crazed frenzy, and comes to the conclusion that Ares was right and that we are savage monsters that don't deserve her, but she'll fight for us anyways, but you snap one neck and you're a cynical randian ubermench. Poor Clark.

SonicRulez posted:

This. What's the point in them if they hinder the path to Superman and are also meant to be characters I empathize with?

I certainly empathize with Pa. I like that he's nuanced and more cautious. He doesn't rely on naive optimism when raising Clark, and he knows that while people can be pretty swell, they are also a suspicious bunch, and he needs to prepare Clark for it. For my money that's my favorite iteration of Pa Kent.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I guess the piss jar is just too deep for you :smuggo:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like basically I don't really see any real difference between the MoS/BvS "it's actually too complicated and deep for you to get, you loving idiot" people and people who went on about Fight Club back in the early 2000s. At least with the latter it's still a well-made movie, even if its fans loving suck and its politics are (intentionally) facile and reductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It's like yelling at people because they don't like whatever certain type of fast food you do, but worse than that, literally arguing that if you don't like eating In-N-Out's Double-Double you're literally too goddamn stupid to get it and here, let me write up a 3k word "explainer" that mostly consists of me calling you an idiot in increasingly more convoluted ways because you don't like this certain item off the Taco Bell menu. If you're gonna be patronizing and your whole persona is based off how much more intelligent and clever you are to get a movie those filthy proles don't, at least target a film that deserves it.

I'm sorry for your poor taste in junkfood, you peon. Clearly the superior people eat at white castle.

• Locked thread