Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

If they still have that going when I'm ready to sell, I'll hit them up, thanks. I've never shipped cards. Where's the easiest place to get bubble mailers? I don't wanna just toss a plastic card case into an envelope or something.

Most office supply stores should have them, hell I even bought a couple packs of bubble mailers from a CVS last week. Toploaders and penny sleeves are cheap too, if you need them that badly I will literally send you some for free because I have way too many!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You can also find bubble mailers at the post office.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

If they still have that going when I'm ready to sell, I'll hit them up, thanks. I've never shipped cards. Where's the easiest place to get bubble mailers? I don't wanna just toss a plastic card case into an envelope or something.

I just constantly re-use ones from cards I've ordered. But the post office has them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There's no way he's pulling in more than he would at some rando entry level office gig sitting in a cube farm, minus actual benefits. I mean guess if you're ~doing what you love~, but man it's hard to get in the head space of having to be an angle grinding bully and still enjoy this game.

During an early Ixalan draft, I was playing a match against someone more experienced than me. He had revealed that he had the flash-dino earlier in the match (I think from the sorcery that lets you find one in your top 5), so I knew he had it.

I had the board and was close to winning, and made an attack into open mana where he pretty much had to have removal, or play the flash dino to survive. I had a trick that would let me win if all he had was the dino, with makeshift munitions helping me close the game out.

He fiddled with his creatures and lined up blocks and said "okay" sort of softly, and I asked him if he was going to play the dino before blocks and he got all salty at me, said that he knew how to play, and he wasn't trying to shark me and he knew how to play magic. But screw you buddy, you're the one trying to bait me into sacrificing stuff early. I think he was also trying to avoid getting domed by the enrage-shock-your-opponent guy blocking.

I blew him out in Game 2 by Ixalan's Binding his 7-mana Dino Lord, and stranding a second copy of it his hand. I like to think it was karma.

He ended with a rant about the format being unfun. Which, to be fair, was borne out by events but, man, so angry.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Cool, thanks dudes. Probably sort all that this weekend. I work for a shipping company, so at least I can overnight them at a good discount with insurance and tracking.

Think I'm gonna buy into Grixis Death's Shadow. Already have playsets of Bloodstained Mire, Polluted Delta, Thoughtseize and Snapcaster Mage. If that deck dominates too hard and gets banned out in a few months, at least the Scalding Tarns and shockands I need will still be playable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Devor posted:

He ended with a rant about the format being unfun. Which, to be fair, was borne out by events but, man, so angry.

Yeah. I try to play clean and above board, probably to a fault. For me though it''s probably not gonna get to a higher level than FNM, we're all here to have fun, the most on the line is an extra pack which is, you know, whatever. Last draft night I was attacking with the 7/6 legend dino with the anthem/mana for token sink dino pumping him to 8/7. My opponent lined up the 6/6 trample common to block him (when he had enough of a board to line up a lethal group block) . I made sure to very clearly and pointedly prompt "final blocks, going to damage step?" without specifically pointing out the anthem. If he had asked something like "what's his current p/t?" or "these two would trade, right?" I would have answered honestly. He also had mana up and cards in hand, so could have been representing a trick.

I actually ended up losing the match narrowly, but I would rather play clean and clear and fair than bully a win out of someone.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 8, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

God I want to, but I have enough bad decks that I never get to play.

Paging mezzanon to evangelize for the deck :v:

OH gently caress SORRY I MISSED THIS! (to the bad-deck mobile!)

Person who wants to build swans:

Do you want to play a T3 deck that is confusingly good? Do you love beating Grixis Deaths shadow and eldrazi tron? Do you like beating all creature decks? Do you enjoy folding to discard and counterspells?

Do you also only have seventy bucks?

SWANS could be the deck for you!

I originally built swans for a "T2 or lower" local modern league, and I top 4'd with it. Since then I've occasionally brought it to Modern days at my flgs and it just slays. just T4 combo all day every day. My team convinced me to bring it to an open later this month, so watch the eternal format thread for my tournament report where I go 2-6 but have a good time.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Mezzanon posted:

OH gently caress SORRY I MISSED THIS! (to the bad-deck mobile!)

Person who wants to build swans:

Do you want to play a T3 deck that is confusingly good? Do you love beating Grixis Deaths shadow and eldrazi tron? Do you like beating all creature decks? Do you enjoy folding to discard and counterspells?

Do you also only have seventy bucks?

SWANS could be the deck for you!

I originally built swans for a "T2 or lower" local modern league, and I top 4'd with it. Since then I've occasionally brought it to Modern days at my flgs and it just slays. just T4 combo all day every day. My team convinced me to bring it to an open later this month, so watch the eternal format thread for my tournament report where I go 2-6 but have a good time.

Do you have some semblance of a decklist? I've wanted to build swans for a while now. Congrats on top 4 btw!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Mezzanon posted:

:confused:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Hey speaking of janky-but-shockingly-successful Tier 2 modern decks, I'll take the opportunity to repost my latest revision of my new favorite modern brew. I've been honestly crushing local events with this pile and if you like turning dudes sideways and finding uses for your banned standard cards, give it a shot:

Hazorekt
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Goblin Guide
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
3 Hazoret the Fervent

2 Smuggler's Copter

3 Thoughtseize
1 Collective Brutality
2 Blightning
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Blood Moon
1 Terminate
2 Fatal Push
1 Dismember
4 Faithless Looting

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Sulfurous Springs
4 Blood Crypt
5 Swamp
3 Mountain

Side
4 Kitesail Freebooter
2 Rakdos Charm
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Dragon's Claw
2 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Collective Brutality
2 Terminate
2 Goblin Rabblemaster

You just simply haven't lived until you've cast Blightning on an opponent with two cards in hand who's never seen the card Blightning before. Also Faithless Looting is fully fuckin' insane in this deck.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 8, 2018

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Can someone hep me, a non-Modern player, as to why Affinity does not include any cards with affinity?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

InterrupterJones posted:

Do you have some semblance of a decklist? I've wanted to build swans for a while now. Congrats on top 4 btw!

Hey Thanks!

Land (42)

7x Island
1x Izzet Guildgate
20x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
1x Steam Vents
4x Swiftwater Cliffs
4x Temple of Epiphany
1x Wandering Fumarole

Sorcery (8)

1x Day's Undoing
3x Serum Visions
4x Treasure Hunt

Enchantment (6)

2x Molten Vortex
4x Seismic Assault

Creature (4)

4x Swans of Bryn Argoll

Sideboard (15)

3x Anger of the Gods
1x Laboratory Maniac
1x Lightning Bolt
1x Molten Vortex
1x Glorious End
2x shattering spree
3x Spell Pierce
1x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Relic of Progenitus

(Although I'm strongly considering making room for some spirebluff canals, and maybe one more fumarole)

I know it seems weird, but often times GDS will just sleep on the fact that you can burst them to zero. Plus a T1 molten vortex ruins the game for them.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Can someone hep me, a non-Modern player, as to why Affinity does not include any cards with affinity?

Without artifact lands, the other options are better. It's called affinity as a bit of a holdover from the past. Some people call it robots.

Try pauper affinity if you want actual affinity cards, it's pretty fun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Because the original deck used to have cards with affinity before it evolved into a Deck With Cards Primarily From Mirrodin Blocks deck.

Sometimes it runs Thoughtcast though!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Don't ban lantern. Resource denial is the most fun strategy (for me) to play.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Flip Yr Wig posted:

They've been power crept out over the years, but since the core of the deck is still "number of artifacts matters", the name has stuck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/MelissaDeTora/status/950418906690215937

What a time to be alive, looks look BBE is getting unbanned!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Even though it has very few Affinity for Artifacts cards, the principal of the mechanic is still there. You play all your powerful spells for practically no cost; but instead of expensive spells costing less, many of your spells cost 0.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Forsythe confirmed that they're not unbanning anything this time around though so we'll have to wait till the next b&r :smith:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

*Angry Grimace tunes up the band*

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BBE is not getting unbanned, stop getting your hopes up you weirdos.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BBE should probably be unbanned but I don't know what that tweet has to do with whether or not it's happening

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Modern isn't changing before the Pro Tour, other than Rivals being added.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
When is the next B&R update after the pro tour?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Niton posted:

They've been power crept out over the years, but since the core of the deck is still "number of artifacts matters", the name has stuck.

Thanks. I suppose could have worked that out looking at Affinity. I didn't even realized that affinity was a specific mechanic until quite recently, and was always confused by the deck's name.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Bloodbraid Elf and Kolaghan's Command would be an unholy union in Modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

Bloodbraid Elf and Kolaghan's Command would be an unholy union in Modern.

Not only would it not be unholy, it might not even be good depending on the matchup. Modern needs your 4 drop to win the game, not get a free random spell and a hasty 3/2.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

sit on my Facebook posted:

Hey speaking of janky-but-shockingly-successful Tier 2 modern decks, I'll take the opportunity to repost my latest revision of my new favorite modern brew. I've been honestly crushing local events with this pile and if you like turning dudes sideways and finding uses for your banned standard cards, give it a shot:

Hazorekt
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Goblin Guide
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
3 Hazoret the Fervent

2 Smuggler's Copter

3 Thoughtseize
1 Collective Brutality
2 Blightning
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Blood Moon
1 Terminate
2 Fatal Push
1 Dismember
4 Faithless Looting

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Sulfurous Springs
4 Blood Crypt
5 Swamp
3 Mountain

Side
4 Kitesail Freebooter
2 Rakdos Charm
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Dragon's Claw
2 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Collective Brutality
2 Terminate
2 Goblin Rabblemaster

You just simply haven't lived until you've cast Blightning on an opponent with two cards in hand who's never seen the card Blightning before. Also Faithless Looting is fully fuckin' insane in this deck.

Gonna make this on XMage tonight and give it a whirl

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Not only would it not be unholy, it might not even be good depending on the matchup. Modern needs your 4 drop to win the game, not get a free random spell and a hasty 3/2.

Free random spells and hasty 3/2s win games :ssh:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

This is true but otoh imagine Bloodbraid into LotV. Bloodbraid into Tarmogoyf. Bloodbraid into Blood Moon. Bloodbraid into KCommand even if your modes are "you discard, I Raise Dead." That's like a 4 for 1 if they have to answer the elf. It's not so cut and dried

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Bloodbraid into Kolaghan's Command is a potential 3 for 1. K-Comm is one of the few cards where three mana at instant speed can be a three for one. It's not always one, but it's not worse than just drawing K-Com which rarely a bad or dead card.

I don't think Bloodbraid is broken. Jund isn't that good right now; it's definitely solid, but it's a world where Lightning Bolt isn't insanely overpowered anymore (and I think LB is still the top played Modern card).

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Hey Thanks!

Land (42)

7x Island
1x Izzet Guildgate
20x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
1x Steam Vents
4x Swiftwater Cliffs
4x Temple of Epiphany
1x Wandering Fumarole

Sorcery (8)

1x Day's Undoing
3x Serum Visions
4x Treasure Hunt

Enchantment (6)

2x Molten Vortex
4x Seismic Assault

Creature (4)

4x Swans of Bryn Argoll

Sideboard (15)

3x Anger of the Gods
1x Laboratory Maniac
1x Lightning Bolt
1x Molten Vortex
1x Glorious End
2x shattering spree
3x Spell Pierce
1x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Relic of Progenitus

(Although I'm strongly considering making room for some spirebluff canals, and maybe one more fumarole)

I know it seems weird, but often times GDS will just sleep on the fact that you can burst them to zero. Plus a T1 molten vortex ruins the game for them.

Definitely yes on the spirebluff canals and fumarole. Also, cascade bluffs is great for mana filtering, as it can otherwise be hard to T3 seismic assault, t4 swan.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Bloodbraid into Kolaghan's Command is a potential 3 for 1. K-Comm is one of the few cards where three mana at instant speed can be a three for one. It's not always one, but it's not worse than just drawing K-Com which rarely a bad or dead card.

I don't think Bloodbraid is broken. Jund isn't that good right now; it's definitely solid, but it's a world where Lightning Bolt isn't insanely overpowered anymore (and I think LB is still the top played Modern card).

Exactly. Cascading into a discard/removal/whatever that turns into a dud isn't exactly even good. Those huge value plays are going to be rare if they end up happening for you at all. There are going to be plenty of situations where kcommand turns into a shock.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

This is the biggest exaggeration in Magic. You can 100% get away with casting four mana value engines in Modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

This is the biggest exaggeration in Magic. You can 100% get away with casting four mana value engines in Modern.

Give me an example.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Cryptic Command

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

whydirt posted:

Cryptic Command

That isn't a 4 drop. It is however a 4 cmc instant that is generally a blowout a lot of the time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Definitely yes on the spirebluff canals and fumarole. Also, cascade bluffs is great for mana filtering, as it can otherwise be hard to T3 seismic assault, t4 swan.

In my experience it has NEVER been difficult to go T3 Assault T4 Swans with the 15 duals the deck currently runs.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Thought-Knot Seer doesn't immediately win the game when it hits the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Soul Glo posted:

Cool, thanks dudes. Probably sort all that this weekend. I work for a shipping company, so at least I can overnight them at a good discount with insurance and tracking.

Think I'm gonna buy into Grixis Death's Shadow. Already have playsets of Bloodstained Mire, Polluted Delta, Thoughtseize and Snapcaster Mage. If that deck dominates too hard and gets banned out in a few months, at least the Scalding Tarns and shockands I need will still be playable.

IDK if it's too late for this or not but my advice to a new modern player is the more uninteractive the better.

LOL @ people who think BBE is too good for modern. It died for Deathrite's sins anyway. Jace would be fine too. (It's not getting unbanned this week. They said they aren't making any change before the PT)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 8, 2018