Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Azrael One Million is loving hilarious, post that if you're reading through DC 1000000!

I didn't realize Kang was so smooth in the bedroom:

I honestly didn't even realize he was a human guy and just wearing a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's Immortus too, right? For some reason even though I knew that it never occurred to me that if Immortus was a human dude then Kang must be too and that was just a mask.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Preface
Nathaniel Richards has had various incarnations over the years and each identity has its own ever expanding history. For the sake of clarity this article will only cover, essentially, the history of Nathaniel Richards during his time as Kang. For more information on the other identities of Nathaniel Richards please refer to the entries on Iron Lad, Kid Immortus, the Scarlet Centurion, Rama-Tut and Immortus

Also he's a descendant of RICHAAAARDS

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also he's a descendant of RICHAAAARDS

I thought he was Reed's father, not a descendant? Unless time travel sex.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong, he was a descendant who was named after Reed's father.

Ponsonby Britt fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 8, 2018

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
"Council of Kangs (Multiverse): A group composed by Prime Kang and two Kang's divergences that were tricked by their future counterpart Immortus to eliminate all divergent Kangs in the Multiverse so that Kang's destiny ended with him becoming Immortus.
Note: This group should not be confused with the Council of Cross-Time Kangs which is a group of aliens and other beings who all took up the guise of Kang the Conqueror after killing alternate versions of Nathaniel Richards."

Nebula manages to become a Kang for a while (after being killed or something good lord that was some confusing poo poo, I was just reading through old She-Hulk appearances) and was apparently so rare as a female Kang that she was sleeping with multiple other Kangs to gain access to their tech for her own plot.

Hot Kang-on-Kang action, once the Comics Code Authority is sent to the Negative Zone.

(Oh dear gently caress, it was Ravonna Renslayer, whoever that is, her Marvel wiki entry is... complicated-looking. I stand by my comment, that it's a total Kangfest.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel's writers really don't like nebula do they

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Nilbop posted:

That art is so bad. Are those little boomerang things moving or stationary? What’s happening on page 2?

The little Moon Knight batarangs are tracking Nightwing. He's flipping around to avoid them. Future Batman is monologuing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

He's Immortus too, right? For some reason even though I knew that it never occurred to me that if Immortus was a human dude then Kang must be too and that was just a mask.

And Rama-Tut. And Iron Lad.

site posted:

Marvel's writers really don't like nebula do they

Different Nebula. This is the one who had sex with Dr. Druid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's the same Nebula.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Someone had sex with Dr. Druid? :monocle:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

"Super hypnosis" was involved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

Whither the STI?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's easily a bottom 5 Avengers story.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Every Dr. Druid story is. Besides the dumpster fire one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know if it's on purpose but if you chart Dr. Druid's appearances in Marvel comics he just wanders into books, makes everything worse, and then leaves.

He literally ruined Johnny Blaze's entire life in one issue and didn't even apologize.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dr Druid has become a joke character based mostly on that single Hawkeye panel.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That's easily a bottom 5 Avengers story.

No it's not. It's the Post-Stern Walt Simonson run (about 6-8 issues) it's bleak as hell for an Avengers story and great. It gets crappy at 300 when Byrne takes over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only reason that story exists is so Captain Marvel (the good one, not Carol) wouldn't be team leader anymore.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason that story exists is so Captain Marvel (the good one, not Carol) wouldn't be team leader anymore.

There have been multiple good Captains Marvel.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And until Civil War 2, Carol was on that list... :smith:

I kind of wish I could be a fly on the wall for the conversations between the MCU folks and comic folks when that happened.

"Hey guys, our movies are going really well, and stuff like Guardians has shown us we can pull out more obscure characters and the audience will trust us enough to go for it. So next, we're thinking it's time for us to have a female lead. You guys revamped Captain Marvel, right? She'd be perfect. Military angle, attractive without being overly sexualised, got that cosmic tie-in the guardians... what's she been doing in comics lately?"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Elfface posted:

And until Civil War 2, Carol was on that list... :smith:

What happened?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Ariong posted:

What happened?

The Assassination of the Hero Carol Danvers by the Writer Brian Bendis.

Civil War 2 happened and Carol was written terribly throughout. It'll prevent be a little while before people forget about it and she gets a fair chance again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There was a Spidey issue (or possibly a CM issue) during the first Civil War that was really great, even though Carol was on the wrong side. I think somebody here pointed out that it was a Bugs Bunny cartoon, but with Spidey as Bugs and Carol as Elmer Fudd. :allears:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know if it's on purpose but if you chart Dr. Druid's appearances in Marvel comics he just wanders into books, makes everything worse, and then leaves.

He literally ruined Johnny Blaze's entire life in one issue and didn't even apologize.

I love Marvel took this to its logical conclusion and made his ghost the villain of that Squadron Supreme book from a year or so ago.

Also didn't the story that lead to him joining the Avengers literally end with him failing at the single task the team gave him and giving a brain hemorrhage the person he was supposed to save?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ariong posted:

What happened?
Short form: after a major Thanos fight where War Machine (her bf at the time) was killed and She-Hulk was put in a coma, Carol stumbled onto a person who had precognitive abilities. She decides that in order to stop future supervillian tragedies, she's going to start arresting people for precrimes. Then when it started going bad (because duh) she doubled-down on the whole thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SilverSupernova posted:

I love Marvel took this to its logical conclusion and made his ghost the villain of that Squadron Supreme book from a year or so ago.

Also didn't the story that lead to him joining the Avengers literally end with him failing at the single task the team gave him and giving a brain hemorrhage the person he was supposed to save?

Are you talking about "Under Siege"? I think Blackout did blow his brains out (or possibly break his neck) fighting Zemo's mind control, but Druid was trying to get him to stop because of the danger.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

good day for a bris posted:

Civil War 2 happened and Carol was written terribly throughout. It'll prevent be a little while before people forget about it and she gets a fair chance again.

I don't know, Iron Man came out not long after Civil War 1 and it was still good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Comics Carol being a total fascist won't affect viewership for the movie, but movie Carol being cool isn't gonna make comics Carol get revamped either

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

good day for a bris posted:

Funny thing was, Bendis was the first to actually bring back a few of her character traits and character flaws and such that Deconnic removed (an action which I personally thought made the character kinda bland), and then he went ahead and made her an almost comically extreme exaggeration most likely to try and balance out Iron Man committing literal war crimes during his hissy fit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Carol's ever not been a fascist.

And yeah KSD's take on the character was replacing flaws with blandness.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A Strange Aeon posted:

Azrael One Million is loving hilarious, post that if you're reading through DC 1000000!

I didn't realize Kang was so smooth in the bedroom:

I honestly didn't even realize he was a human guy and just wearing a helmet.

Check out Kang lackadaisically macking on women in his 30th century wifebeater.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The story existed to wipe the whole slate so Byrne could have a clean one. Which is a terrible reason for a story, but it's a good story in and of itself.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Binary Badger posted:

Check out Kang lackadaisically macking on women in his 30th century wifebeater.

"You now have the honor of removing my stripey thigh-highs. Do it... doucement."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
"lackadaisically macking on women" is quite a strange way to describe ordering a slave to strip so he can rape her

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

"Do it... doucement."

Somebody watched True Lies on cable this weekend

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Civil War 2 in a nutshell:

And every time something like this, or one of the prophecies turns out to be self-fulfilling, or something else happens, Carol doubles-down on the jackboots.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The part where Ulysses tells her a woman is gonna bomb some place, and she drags the ultimates out to arrest her, only the woman doesn't have a bomb and she gets arrested anyways and Carol has shield black site her until they can create some evidence is still the best-worst part

And the series ends with everyone in America calling her the coolest hero for no reason at all and Obama telling her she's great at her job

site fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So when exactly did Marvel decide fascism was cool and good? Because between both Civil Wars and the Captain America thing, I think I'm starting to establish the barest hints of a pattern.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least with Secret Empire they didn't try to do the "truth is in the middle" thing that keeps causing issues with Civil Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Keeshhound posted:

So when exactly did Marvel decide fascism was cool and good? Because between both Civil Wars and the Captain America thing, I think I'm starting to establish the barest hints of a pattern.

When ike won the bankruptcy proceedings against ichan and took over the company