Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Facebook groups for brands can get... weird. This is from the Orange Amp users group.

Like, if he had said "yea I am now able to afford health care and I still have an amp!" that'd be a different matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

a phenomenal lamp

lets you see in the dark

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Why are JCM800s so expensive? Is it the branding? There's no reason for a single channel tube amp to be that expensive.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why are JCM800s so expensive? Is it the branding? There's no reason for a single channel tube amp to be that expensive.

Brown sound, probably

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
import expenses mostly

same reason a dual rec costs $1200 more in the uk

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

Brown sound, probably

Wasn't that done with a plexi? I always thought the 800 was a different circuit.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

import expenses mostly

same reason a dual rec costs $1200 more in the uk

That makes a lot of sense.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wasn't that done with a plexi? I always thought the 800 was a different circuit.

iirc they're pretty similar beyond the first tube stage. modding one into the other is relatively common

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Like other people have said, import expenses + popularity + they genuinely sound good + no longer in production.

A JCM 800 is the kind of amp you would only want in a band setting though. On their own they sound pretty thin and raspy, but they sound legit incredible turned up loud and set in a mix, especially with a decent boost in front.

However if you’re a guy who’s never played in a group and spend the majority of your time playing guitar as a lone instrument at low volume, some buzzy solid-state amp that emphasizes gain and bass probably will sound better to you in that setting.

This doesn’t make what that guy did any less retarded though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 8, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

iirc they're pretty similar beyond the first tube stage. modding one into the other is relatively common

oh duh, I looked it up and it's pretty much a plexi with a master volume.

GreatGreen posted:

Like other people have said, import expenses + popularity + they genuinely sound good + no longer in production.

A JCM 800 is the kind of amp you would only want in a band setting though. On their own they sound pretty thin and raspy, but they sound legit incredible turned up loud and set in a mix, especially with a decent boost in front.

However if you’re a guy who’s never played in a group and spend the majority of your time playing guitar as a lone instrument at low volume, some buzzy solid-state amp that emphasizes gain and bass probably will sound better to you in that setting.

This doesn’t make what that guy did any less retarded though.

Wait what the hell are you talking about? They make reissue versions of them, complete with effects loops. And they sound amazing on their own, I love mine. It's such a great pedal platform and really benefits from a tube screamer and/or distortion out front. It's completely the opposite of what you mentioned.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Vintage 800's are definitely bass monsters, I'm gonna guess you've never turned a full 800 stack all the way up. Even with the master at 3 most of them will shake a building.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have a JCM800 from 1981, and:
  • It's the one amp that I've worked on to maintain functional as extensively as I have all the other amps I have combined, past and present (and probably future).
  • It weights a ton for a head.
  • It smells weird (kinda like coffee? It's not a bad smell, but it's a smell you wouldn't expect from amps)
  • I've had to replace its "legs" like 3 times (the little things that fit into most 4x12 cabinets)
  • A shitload of people around town want to borrow it, but asking for it back is a bitch and they try to guilt-trip me so that they can keep using it for whatever lovely-rear end music they want to record.
  • It looks like the swamp thing at this point
  • It no longer has the grill
  • From a technical, practical and taste-centric standpoint, I have three amps that blow it the gently caress out of the water (The Soldano SLO100, the Orange Rockerverb and the Mesa Boogie Mark IV)
... at the same time, every once in a while, I power it up and crank it nice. It's like beginning a reincarnation ritual.

My favorite song to play on it is "False Light" from Isis. :black101:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Voyage-Air perhaps?

Yes, this goofy rear end thing! So strange.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

God drat I'm getting carpet bombed on Facebook with these ads for the "ToneWood Amp" which is a speaker you put inside of your acoustic guitar and strap a dsp processor on the back. OMG THERE'S DELAY COMING OUT OF THE SOUNDHOLE!!!!

It seems kinda cool but also seems cornball as gently caress and it seems like they know this which is how their strategy is "advertise constantly to people until they no longer have the will to NOT buy one."

If I flag the ad as not for me will it actually go away? Off to Facebook to try!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Welp the sweetwater guy called me today to ask me about my purchase

It went okay but buddy I want to hear about jobs don't call me you get my hopes up

Like seriously they're good pickups, I comprehend soldering irons, wiring strippers, and simple circuits it went fine overall and I like them

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 9, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

God drat I'm getting carpet bombed on Facebook with these ads for the "ToneWood Amp" which is a speaker you put inside of your acoustic guitar and strap a dsp processor on the back. OMG THERE'S DELAY COMING OUT OF THE SOUNDHOLE!!!!

It seems kinda cool but also seems cornball as gently caress and it seems like they know this which is how their strategy is "advertise constantly to people until they no longer have the will to NOT buy one."

If I flag the ad as not for me will it actually go away? Off to Facebook to try!

I don't see how the speaker could be loud enough to do anything useful without also resulting in feedback from hell.

(Although it'd be pretty badass if you could exploit that for acoustic shoegaze)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

I don't see how the speaker could be loud enough to do anything useful without also resulting in feedback from hell.

(Although it'd be pretty badass if you could exploit that for acoustic shoegaze)

Dunno, honestly. :shrug: I've seen about five thousand demo videos, though, and it appears to work without feeding back. I think it only sends a 100% wet signal through the speaker since your guitar is, uh, self-amplifying.

edit: lol and now I'M posting an advertisement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvuYukWXq_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISdYylHI11Y

Jesus, Al DiMeola is a handsome dude.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 9, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

oh duh, I looked it up and it's pretty much a plexi with a master volume.

Wait what the hell are you talking about? They make reissue versions of them, complete with effects loops. And they sound amazing on their own, I love mine. It's such a great pedal platform and really benefits from a tube screamer and/or distortion out front. It's completely the opposite of what you mentioned.

Must be different than the ones I've played then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've played quite a handful of thin and raspy, nasally sounding JCM 800's.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

I've played quite a handful of thin and raspy, nasally sounding JCM 900's.

fixed

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

lol those are awful.

I remember when the JCM 2000's came out and they made a couple of head versions, a DSL and TSL. The TSL had an extra row of knobs for more versatility and control in theory but the real difference was that the DSL had JCM 800-style transformers while the TSL had JCM 900-style transformers. I was able to A/B them at a pretty good volume and even with the same preamp, there was a world of difference. The DSL sounded huge and great and the TSL sounded... not like that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I was in a remote area / in a popular touring band / dumb enough to justify a big huge stack. My future is lunchboxes, solid state, and (ew) modelers. Extracting the greatest bedroom tones since the mid 00s

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish I was in a remote area / in a popular touring band / dumb enough to justify a big huge stack. My future is lunchboxes, solid state, and (ooh) modulars. Extracting the greatest bedroom tones since the mid 00s
:twisted::getin:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I don't know if this is more stupid Kickstarter poo poo than Stupid Music poo poo but in a shocking twist a novelty turntable unsurprisingly ended up being a novelty (and destructive) turntable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIJVdQkb1Q

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

stillvisions posted:

I don't know if this is more stupid Kickstarter poo poo than Stupid Music poo poo but in a shocking twist a novelty turntable unsurprisingly ended up being a novelty (and destructive) turntable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIJVdQkb1Q

Well thanks for getting me to watch that video, it had fallen far enough down my subscriptions that I forgot it existed.

That, by the way, is some stooooopid music poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've seen those little dumb cars that "drive" around your record and play them for years and they couldn't at least keep up with those? lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i want one of those but with grave digger

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It doesn't use a speaker though, does it? I read about it a while ago and seems like it vibrates against the guitar's back basically blending itself into the "natural" sound that way. It looked pretty cool in some demos.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It doesn't use a speaker though, does it? I read about it a while ago and seems like it vibrates against the guitar's back basically blending itself into the "natural" sound that way. It looked pretty cool in some demos.

It uses the soundboard as a speaker. Interesting concept and I would probably have fun with one, but it's not really practical for stage or recording use and it's going to be pricey for bedroom players so not sure what the market is.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

darkwasthenight posted:

It uses the soundboard as a speaker. Interesting concept and I would probably have fun with one, but it's not really practical for stage or recording use and it's going to be pricey for bedroom players so not sure what the market is.

The website says $250 which isn't that expensive as far as dumb guitar toys go.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
My other guitarist picked up a peavey VTM for like $300 with a view to using it on our next album so I've been checking it out. It's fuckin sweet, and loud as gently caress. It has a bunch of dipswitches on the front to control EQ voicing and gain stages although I can't honestly detect much of a difference with my apparently terrible ears. Sounds amazing with a HM2 in front, there's a gnarly grind to the low mids that I think is going to do the trick.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

My other guitarist picked up a peavey VTM for like $300 with a view to using it on our next album so I've been checking it out. It's fuckin sweet, and loud as gently caress. It has a bunch of dipswitches on the front to control EQ voicing and gain stages although I can't honestly detect much of a difference with my apparently terrible ears. Sounds amazing with a HM2 in front, there's a gnarly grind to the low mids that I think is going to do the trick.

These are sweet!!!!! Great find bro.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
the only stupid music poo poo about that is peavey's logo

e: and yeah i guess the dipswitches

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Peavey's logo loving owns.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Peavey's logo looks like it was drawn by a teenage metalhead stoner because that's who their products are for.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
pls dont doxx me thanks

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

Peavey's logo looks like it was drawn by a teenage metalhead stoner because that's who their products are for.

Anime Reference posted:

Peavey's logo loving owns.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

lmao anyone want half a flame top LP?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Doomy posted:

Bookmatch-ah gently caress this

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Doomy posted:

truely the finest American craftsmanship

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doomy posted:

At this point, I kinda just want to tell them "Just do the Maple Veneer already, you pussies. It's fine. Nobody's gonna judge you. Do the guitar justice and stop loving up already"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If Gibson would make a Les Paul with a standard maple top and a flame veneer and price it fairly (as in not ludicrously high like everything else they make) I might actually legitimately think about buying one before remembering what a piece of poo poo HJ is and deciding against it.