Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chalks posted:

I tracked down the screen cap:

That's as much as it shows, taken from here

The equivalent file in lumberyard:

https://github.com/aws/lumberyard/blob/1.10/dev/Code/CryEngine/CryCommon/INetwork.h

The comment section at the top seems consistent. The rest of the file, however, is completely different. It is very difficult to know if that is because it is the same as the crytek files, or if it is just massively hacked by CIG. Some CIG changes are evident from the comments.

The phrasing of the visible comment indicates to me that it is lumberyard source code.

It's hard to say without seeing all of it, but line count and the "original copyright" line match the Lumberyard copyright note. Then again, search and replace is easy, of course. If they used the Lumberyard switch-story to cover their asses, I assume they wouldn't be so stupid to not search-and-replace the codebase for it.

Then again, it could as well be a boilerplate copyright note which CryTek includes in all the versions they supply to customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, when they trained all of us before we got the password to this account, they said "no matter what persona you logon as, be consistent in your delivery to the audience."

touché

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think the biggest conundrum that gives this thread a forum of legal paralysis is how they will replace bug smashers. The Lore? There are so many hours in the day to shoehorn another planet that will never exist.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lovely. Quarterly updates, promised network improvements by June - finally. At least it's an expected outlook.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Go gently caress yourself. You get spoonfed details by some people on here CIG/Reddit to make it seem like you know poo poo then everyone gets to sit and giggle in the corner while you flail about like you think you know what you're talking about 1/4 of the time (and you're too stupid to realize it you dumbfuck).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the biggest conundrum that gives this thread a forum of legal paralysis is how they will replace bug smashers. The Lore? There are so many hours in the day to shoehorn another planet that will never exist.

Ortwin is going to host "law smashers" where they discuss space crime.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

ChaseSP posted:

MoMA tox your account on it.

MoMA is not going to TOXX - he/they are far to financially savvy to potentially jeopardise an investment like that.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Ortwin is going to host "law smashers" where they discuss space crime.

Ortwin reading the original contract line by line, never saying anything, but occasionally throwing the camera a giggle and a wink.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

My call : no replacement, but they'll keep sucking these sweet subscription $$s supposed to bring these shows.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Dusty Lens posted:

Slightly off topic and lord knows that trying to access a full spectrum of opinions is difficult at present but I have to admit that I was expecting a touch more noise to emerge from the realization that the only reason this project even exists is due to Crytek bending over backwards to make it happen and really carrying it on their back through all of the most critical early stages.

They're being treated like a coffee boy that wanted to grab the filters he brought into the office after he was fired but couldn't get past the front desk.

By 'touch more' I do mean just a smidgen over a vacuum. I'm not ignorant as to the audience of this drama and their reactions to things viewed as negative.

You really hit on the galling part of this lawsuit. There would be no Star Citizen without Crytek. They would not have made 175 million without Crytek making the demos and cutting them a deal on the engine. Did Crytek do it out of the goodness of their hearts? No, they did it to promote their engine so they could sell it to other companies to make more money. Was it the right engine choice? gently caress no, it's a single player fps engine. Was it the only choice Chris had? Looks like. Everybody else turned him down so it was either signing an exclusive deal with Crytek or going to Kickstarter with a few drawings of ships and the same pitch he gave to all the big publishers when he was trying to get back in to the gaming world. It would have been 0.5% funded and gone the way of a bunch of other lovely kickstarters. Moving to a free version of the same engine was a slap in the face of the people who got you those Porsches, Chris. They're coming to collect.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

As for the jury, they will receive clear concise instructions on how the various counts should be judged. They will be spelled out quite drat simply eliminating all ambiguity. Think of them as a 5th grade worksheet where you have to place check marks on what is a cat versus what is a fish.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Chris Roberts hunches his shoulders even more than usual as he lurches through the UK studio.

"There are people working in the studio which I am calling a game studio and because of that a game is being made" says Chris, referring to the artists he hired to copy/paste Google Image Search results into Photoshop. Later on these images will be sold to backers at a premium, many of them with copyright watermarks still visible.

Later on the tour continues in the US studio.

"Game development studios make games so because we are in this studio we are making a game" Chris continues to explain as he trundles past first-year computer design graduates. He stops to evaluate a Google Image Search copy/paste on one artist's machine. "That is fidelity, fidelity is when you make lots of polygons and then when you put them on the screen a game happens."

Chris continues to share his decades of game development knowledge as we fly back to the German studios, which for some reason happened after the US visit instead of the closer UK studio. "Sometimes when you don't have fidelity you don't have a game, and that is called not having a game in this modern age. When you have fidelity and motion capture then people can play your game and then the game is good." Chris opens a briefcase to demonstrate; we then crouch down to assist him in picking up the 100 motion-capture ping-pong balls that have fallen out of the case and started rolling around the cabin.

"It's ok, this is game development." Chris explains to the irritated passengers in first class. "Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson and Mark Hamill and when I pointed the camera at them a game was happening, it's happening even now, because I have many studios and games are happening."

"We are partnered with Amazon," added Chris.

Once we reach the German studio we will see artists who speak a different language copy/pasting from Google Image Search and creating new pictures to sell to backers. "Not high enough fidelity Hans," Chris admonishes who he believes is one of his artists but who is actually a random citizen surfing the web at the airport. "We'll get to the studio soon, Chris" we reassure him.

"I'm making a game!" says Chris as we hail a taxi for him. "Fidelity!"

We watch the taxi drive away, thankful the project is in such good hands.

- every gaming media outlet

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
bootcha you get your C&D and your notification of breached NDA yet

supposedly it's a clusterfuck of legal kung fu now

quote:

Gloves are off. Ex-employees have been interviewed and told to shut it, including some ex-backers.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

Slightly off topic and lord knows that trying to access a full spectrum of opinions is difficult at present but I have to admit that I was expecting a touch more noise to emerge from the realization that the only reason this project even exists is due to Crytek bending over backwards to make it happen and really carrying it on their back through all of the most critical early stages.

They're being treated like a coffee boy that wanted to grab the filters he brought into the office after he was fired but couldn't get past the front desk.

By 'touch more' I do mean just a smidgen over a vacuum. I'm not ignorant as to the audience of this drama and their reactions to things viewed as negative.

Good point

Perhaps it's kept quite over there because the relationship with Crytek went somewhat the same way the relationship with Ilfonic (and others) went, and it wouldn't be a good idea for a pattern of broken relationships (hi Sandi) to reveal itself whilst the project is STILL in fundraising mode.

- It can be said with confidence that the relationship with Crytek completely broke down a long time ago, for whatever reason.
- It can also be said that the relationship with Ilfonic was terminated a long time ago with nothing of fruition, for reasons explained by Chris as 'I don't really know what happened, I thought we were all on the same page'
- The current relationship with Amazon can be gauged by tweets from an Amazon employee regarding the project and doesn't exactly look great (also rumours of LY support being noped out of the project entirely)

Crytek got the kickstarter off the ground after Chris had taken the pitch around publishers (I'm looking forward to Bootcha covering this) and they therefore have the great honor and distinction of having touched the poop first. That went really well for them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Good god, did they deliver your Habeas Corpus under your Johnny Walker Blue?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

Ortwin reading the original contract line by line, never saying anything, but occasionally throwing the camera a giggle and a wink.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Beet Wagon posted:

Do you think guys like Montoya are going to be okay when Crytek responds with a document that makes it look like CIG is wrong in every possible way? Like... these guys know that right now each side is presenting their claims in the way that makes them sound as unerringly correct as possible, right?

Shhhh! They're so cute when they're dreaming!

Oh, look! That one is kicking! He probably thinks he's clipping through the floor

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

melt my poz ortwin

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
people have been asking about F42 and how much staff they have / had

Brian Chambers Interview, Sep 2015 posted:

Brian Chambers: We started with 2 employees and quickly grew to about 10 employees, at which point we decided that it was time to look for larger and permanent office space. We expect to grow to 50+ employees within the next 12-18 months, possibly more. It is mainly a question of finding the right talent.

Brian Chambers: We currently have 27 full time employees. Our current office plan accommodates up to 50 people, and we are in the process of staffing up significantly. We also have options to expand the office space further if needed based on our future hiring.

Brian Chambers: We had numerous qualified individuals located close to Frankfurt approach the company regarding open positions. :lol::lol::lol: *cough cough Crytek cough cough*

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good god, did they deliver your Habeas Corpus under your Johnny Walker Blue?
you mean my wheatgrass and ginger juice because I'm not drinking during the day anymore and oh lord all I wants is a single malt right now motherfuck aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

That's not what I heard, I heard from the grapevine (which is 70% accurate) that CIG clearly don't give a gently caress or any part of a gently caress for what they signed and agreed to so why should I/we give a gently caress or a fraction of a gently caress about what they had me/us sign

In fact, they say, over the sound of a bean grinder and the smell of fresh, sweet sweet coffee, Chris can go gently caress himself, here's my Star Citizen story

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

EightAce posted:

Let's not forget that Ben lesnick ( developer ). Played all the sq42 missions long before they switched to lumberyard. He said as much

He knew it was the best game ever even then. :allears:

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Lladre posted:

The outcome of the trial is going to be exclusively decided by 12 people with bleached anuses.

Has anyone said “bleached whale” yet or am I too late?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Post your bleached anus to gain credibility.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

you mean my wheatgrass and ginger juice because I'm not drinking during the day anymore and oh lord all I wants is a single malt right now motherfuck aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Be strong!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris Roberts hunches his shoulders even more than usual as he lurches through the UK studio.

"There are people working in the studio which I am calling a game studio and because of that a game is being made" says Chris, referring to the artists he hired to copy/paste Google Image Search results into Photoshop. Later on these images will be sold to backers at a premium, many of them with copyright watermarks still visible.

Later on the tour continues in the US studio.

"Game development studios make games so because we are in this studio we are making a game" Chris continues to explain as he trundles past first-year computer design graduates. He stops to evaluate a Google Image Search copy/paste on one artist's machine. "That is fidelity, fidelity is when you make lots of polygons and then when you put them on the screen a game happens."

Chris continues to share his decades of game development knowledge as we fly back to the German studios, which for some reason happened after the US visit instead of the closer UK studio. "Sometimes when you don't have fidelity you don't have a game, and that is called not having a game in this modern age. When you have fidelity and motion capture then people can play your game and then the game is good." Chris opens a briefcase to demonstrate; we then crouch down to assist him in picking up the 100 motion-capture ping-pong balls that have fallen out of the case and started rolling around the cabin.

"It's ok, this is game development." Chris explains to the irritated passengers in first class. "Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson and Mark Hamill and when I pointed the camera at them a game was happening, it's happening even now, because I have many studios and games are happening."

"We are partnered with Amazon," added Chris.

Once we reach the German studio we will see artists who speak a different language copy/pasting from Google Image Search and creating new pictures to sell to backers. "Not high enough fidelity Hans," Chris admonishes who he believes is one of his artists but who is actually a random citizen surfing the web at the airport. "We'll get to the studio soon, Chris" we reassure him.

"I'm making a game!" says Chris as we hail a taxi for him. "Fidelity!"

We watch the taxi drive away, thankful the project is in such good hands.

- every gaming media outlet

Chris trying to defend himself against my repeated allegation that there is no game (first caller here). Stay frosty Chris.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

I think you will find that Skadden will kick the doors right off the hinges with this as their opening argument. There would be no Star Citizen and no $170 Million dollars in record crowdfunding without Crytek's generosity and willingness to do good business. CIG has a rather interesting history of loving over every single person they have done business with and that will be reflected. On a strategy level alone, Skadden is playing a very straightforward and conservative game waiting for CIG to make their own mistakes and then capitalize on them. I think that Skadden is going to use the Legal equivalent of Aikido here and let use everything CIG has against itself which is already evident in the over the top response from them right out of the gate by adding evidence to something that required none. There is no question in my mind how badly CIG is going to lose, I am just interested in the strategy and skeletons that are going to come flying out.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

You should try some Single malt with a touch of water. It's like the diet coke of scotch. :grin:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

First phase : bleach my anus
Second phase : tan my anus with a butt spreader

The american way of life.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

As for the jury, they will receive clear concise instructions on how the various counts should be judged. They will be spelled out quite drat simply eliminating all ambiguity. Think of them as a 5th grade worksheet where you have to place check marks on what is a cat versus what is a fish.

e - link didn't work:

Galarox fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 9, 2018

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hi friends

I just wanted to pop in and say the e46 m3 in mustard yellow is the best looking bmw ever made

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

TheAgent posted:

clusterfuck of legal kung fu now

legal combat yiffing more like

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dewgy posted:

Isn’t that the same logic that leads to CIG’s countersuit being rock solid in the eyes of the true believers though? “It’s in the lawsuit, QED.”

I think they have more problems here than just 2.1.2 and Crobbers is still screwed, but if that part gets contended in court I’m mostly curious how solid the wording is in that specific section.

Yeah, that part is very ambiguous and even my interpretation of it stems from my own experience with clauses like that.

We just have to wait for the judge and jury to determine the INTENT because that's all it's going to boil down to.

And that INTENT is going to come from things like emails, letters of intent, deal terms etc. All the things we go through prior to agreeing on, and drawing up a contract.

Even if that exclusive clause goes away, CIG still has other bigger problems in the lawsuit.

The biggest being that they were not allowed to develop more than one game.

And if they claim that SQ42 is using LY and not CE, they are in even bigger trouble because they would be admitting to copyright infringement, seeing as SQ42 DID in fact use CryEngine at some point.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What's that in the road ahead?

What's that in the road? A head?

Here ends my first lesson in legal jargon and a timely reminder as to why CIG will win in court. You don't just gently caress around with Ortwin, the guy has legal cojones so intense he's been dead for over a decade and gives zero fucks

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

I keep seeing this coming up and I don't see what the issue or confusion is. "to exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game" means to embed it exclusively, at the exclusion of any other engine. That's a restriction of the license.

It is explicitly stated right there what the exclusivity is referring to, it is referring to CryEngine, "exclusively embed Cryengine".

Lots of people going round and around in circles on this, it's really simple and I don't agree that it's poorly written either. "exclusively embed Cryengine" means to exclude any other engine, "in the game" refers to the game which is defined, CryEngine is already defined, everything is there as clear as day and I don't know where all the confusion is coming from.

The word 'exclusive' is rooted in 'exclude', this is very basic stuff and I'm amazed to see such discussion taking place over a really honest to god straightforward piece of text written in the english language. You can unfold "exclusively embed CryEngine' into 'embed Cryengine at the exclusion of all other engines' but the meaning remains exactly the same.

This isn't even lawyering guys, this is basic communication in the english language. Jesus.

Welcome to my nightmare. Enjoy the fish.

----------------

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

Hi friends

I just wanted to pop in and say the e46 m3 in mustard yellow is the best looking bmw ever made

That's a very pretty car, but any color 3.0 cs is the best sorry.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

this right here, is why Feb 9 will be dope

and yes I'm gonna keep saying it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

You know, technically it's always nighttime somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meahwhile over at Section 2.4

----------------