Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Sigrun gets to shine near the end of the game. You'll know the moment when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Pigs are both the biggest bros, and the tastiest animal :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

Making a pig happy is it's own reward. My neighbor has a son who is too autistic to have a dog or cat or whatever, but pigs are (apparently ) even tempered. The kid will pull on his nose and roughhouse with it and it just takes it will good grace, a fun animal to interact with. A lot smarter then my idiot dog too.

In the scheme of things the way things go, you might get bit by the old Fido, but not by the gentle porker, friend.
How about a hand for the hog?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
As an aside from animal talk, I love the new design of the Kampfpistole. Classic Unreal Tournament spoiled me on fictional pistol design with its Enforcer, and even nowadays when I know poo poo like that would be impractical as hell in the real world I still love anything vaguely-pistol-shaped that looks like that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

In the scheme of things the way things go, you might get bit by the old Fido, but not by the gentle porker, friend.
How about a hand for the hog?

Pigs were famous for killing children in the olden days.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Eifert Posting posted:

Pigs were famous for killing children in the olden days.

How olden? They might have had that bred out.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

White Coke posted:

How olden? They might have had that bred out.

No, they just build fences around them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Nalesh posted:

Pigs are both the biggest bros, and the tastiest animal :v:

When they're domesticated and well-fed, sure. Any other time I don't trust them. They're the only animal I have no qualms over people hunting, because they will happily track, kill and eat you, too.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
If Sigrun goes back to being a nazi because the good guys were such pricks to her I'm going to be so mad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

If Sigrun goes back to being a nazi because the good guys were such pricks to her I'm going to be so mad.
Yeah they almost treat her worse than her mother did. It's completely understandable that they don't trust her and don't like her but the constant bullying is pretty drat lovely. :(

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Samovar posted:

When they're domesticated and well-fed, sure. Any other time I don't trust them. They're the only animal I have no qualms over people hunting, because they will happily track, kill and eat you, too.

Yeah hogs can gently caress you up to the point where some people hunt them from a heli :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Yeah hogs can gently caress you up to the point where some people hunt them from a heli :v:

And they're smart enough to remember people. Smart enough to seek vengeance.

It might take a little bit of time, but hell. What's time to a hog?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
One thing I like about this game is the lengths it goes to feel like you (well, BJ as protagonist) aren't the only person doing anything. You see the crew working, chatting, sleeping, relaxing, even fighting, although the latter is mostly accomplished off-screen, in cutscenes, or in carefully scripted events. Throughout the submarine interludes, it's like you catch these little vignettes about what's going on in the resistance, and I appreciated the effort. It really goes to show that the devs understand their own game and can make the most of its linear structure. As long as you're a good sport about not looking for the seams, it's pretty convincing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I got gifted with an unexpected snow day and instead of getting this up earlier than usual I 1) drank homemade alcohol 2)shoveled myself out despite being kind of drunk and 3) Saw someone decided to do a Quake 4 LP.

The reason I went right back into the bunker from the last episode is to show how things change between "missions" and "Obercommando" visits to locations. You can see from this that new areas open up, there are different conversations and we have different enemy patterns to contend with. This is a constant theme and part of why I'm going to be recording all of the side missions as part of the LP. There's some fun stuff to be had. You also get to see the Constrictor Harness in action in this video. It's a super useful tool, and I can understand why some people have said they took it first. The benefits are immediate and pretty awesome. Slowing down time when you get spotted is great, for example. If you wanted an optimal selection of contraptions I think you would do Battle Walker first, then immediately get the Constrictor Harness like I do here and then the Ramshackle basically right after that. The Walker is the last of them you could go find due to how Obercommander locations open up, so taking it first sort of circumvents that issue.

I will be getting all of Max's toys during this LP. The reward is seriously two lines from an otherwise generic background character, but I figure for completion's sake I should do it.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 5, 2018

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I like that jungle mags with the assault rifle makes BJ fire 29 shots from the first mag then 30+1 from the next. Nice touch.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I will be getting all of Max's toys during this LP. The reward is seriously two lines from an otherwise generic background character, but I figure for completion's sake I should do it.

Max Hass! :unsmith:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Max Hass. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This might be just a feeling, but I think the Oberkommando missions have enemies with ramped up damage.
Ramped up everything mostly.

Also the Pistol is secretly the best weapon in the game :ssh:
With the Quick Commander kill maxed out and the magnum upgrade I can drop a machinesoldat in less than a clip.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 5, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The nailgun smg with a silencer is better for stealth imo :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So, following this LP inspired me to go back and replay Wolf 2009, and uh...

(couldn't get a screenshot in game, had to resort to youtube)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Good news: help has arrived in the form of forums poster Scarf. Too bad I bungled the hell out of this episode and didn't give him a better one to join me on, but we all need to start somewhere. This'll be the last of the side missions for a bit simply because I didn't want to grind them out before getting back to the story of the game. Instead of being interspersed in with the regular episodes I think we're just going to see big chunks of them a couple times. Speaking of side content, I haven't forgotten about the letters/readables. I just realized that due to story points in the game we are actually better off finishing those up a little later instead of showing them area by area.

Part of the reason the side missions are fun and different despite using environments you've been in already is that there are new conversations, enemy placements, encounters and traversal methods available as you come back to them. Sometimes you'll be running through areas backwards or will be let into areas that weren't there during your initial run through the levels, like what we see with the Penthouse. When combined with upgrade kits and the opportunity to gain other collectibles, it makes hitting the different areas up again worth it. Some of the changes are really fun and weird, which we'll see in the next one of these I'm planning. Being able to gain the contraptions you didn't take earlier is another bonus, but the game is designed in such a way that any of the three will be able to carry you through to the end, it's just nice to have all of them.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still refuse to believe the animation for cutting the fuel line isn't bugged, it's so fast that you're not even sure it did something usually.

And speaking of not being sure if it did anything, if you don't notice the trail and just leave him running around, he'll explode on his own eventually.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Max Hass! :mad:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Well of course a weapon Lazyfire likes is going to turn into a war crime.

There needs to be another shooter with fire bullets as a technically-optional upgrade to some weapon or another just so Lazyfire can LP it.

Speaking of which, since I'm finally getting around to doing LPs myself again, what do you use for co-commentary and the like these days? I had you on Skype but I haven't run that in like a year since I sometimes actually talk to people for non-LP-related reasons over Discord.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kadorhal posted:

Well of course a weapon Lazyfire likes is going to turn into a war crime.

There needs to be another shooter with fire bullets as a technically-optional upgrade to some weapon or another just so Lazyfire can LP it.

Speaking of which, since I'm finally getting around to doing LPs myself again, what do you use for co-commentary and the like these days? I had you on Skype but I haven't run that in like a year since I sometimes actually talk to people for non-LP-related reasons over Discord.

I use discord for commentary these days. Skype kind of always sucked and Discord is only slightly better. I only sign in to either program while I use it, which is why you don't ever see me on Skype.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

As promised, we are off to a new location. One of the weird decisions the developers made on TNC is the use of "fog" effects on a number of levels. I think it is technically supposed to be a haze or something but in areas like New Orleans it makes it difficult to see and identify things that aren't all that far away. It also broke the game hard before the first patch.

So let me explain something about my first time playing this game: I had to give up on my main file during the runup to the end game because the first patch broke any and all cinematics in the game. I couldn't even go off and do Obercommando missions because switching to pre-rendered scenes was broke. The reason I mentioned that I may be breaking the game by not shooting the dog in the first video is because the last time I tried it was when I made an effort to just replay the game (thinking my save file was just corrupt) and realized I could aim off the dog. For some reason when I tried to not shoot the dog and child BJ went flying back that specific entry into a cutscene broke the game, but if you shot the dog you were cool. I got halfway through New York on my new file before I tried a simple "validate game files" on TNC and found that I was missing over 100 files after the patch and ever since then the game has mostly run perfectly. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the game had a rough launch and the early post release period presented some challenges. The reason I mention this is that one of the weirder bugs the game had presents itself in New Orleans due to the "haze" effect and the skybox on later levels. For some unexplained reason the skybox in hazy levels like NO will occasionally fail to change from the menu background and will also allow some in game effects, like lasers and explosions, to etch themselves into it. I only wish I could have caught that on video, but I was so concerned that my computer was breaking I didn't think to record it.

Anyways, enjoy the video. I look forward to Wolf II tech support discussion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Hot diggity, it's time for a rodeo.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
New Orleans is my least favorite level. I've played through the game twice, and both times it just felt like a slog. The enemies are starting to show up with heavier armor, which makes them a chore to fight, and there's not really anything unique or interesting to look at either. There is the Panzerhund which we'll see at the start of the next video, and it's suitably awesome, so I can't complain too much. But this part felt like a low point of the game.

I also kept finding myself getting lost (heh.) It happened less in TNO, but this game's levels don't feel very well signposted. This level and Manhattan were the worst offenders- I had a hell of a time trying to get my bearings. The fact that there's a button that pings the next checkpoint suggests that I wasn't the only one with that problem. But then, I get lost extremely easily in real life too, so maybe I'm just disoriented in general. :shrug:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I like how Fergus apparently has an on-demand Cerebral Bore now.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Can we just have a stealth game playing as fergus and mr handy? :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In all fairness Lazyfire, BJ himself is a war-crime-in-a-box. The fully upgraded shotgun is just BJ expanding his war crime reach since he cannot (currently) ricochet off walls and rip people apart with shrapnel.

Kadorhal posted:

I like how Fergus apparently has an on-demand Cerebral Bore now.
I think I know why Fergus has been having issues with his cybernetic arm. He focused so much on the cool weapon options that he forgot to dump points into basic functionality. This is why you spread your upgrades around, folks.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is possible to commit war crimes on war criminals though? :thunk:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I don't know, but when Fergus was about to unleash his hand in that Nazi, I honestly thought he was going to ROCKET PUNCH that Nazi. Which would have been way cooler.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The opening cutscene was something

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Clarinet debate scene was interesting. Not much in the actual detail of both sides, but then again, there are no Ciceros in foxholes.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Is it really a warcrime if the nazis made it legal?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Ask the Russians. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 12, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Under contemporary international law it absolutely is
Not sure how this works in this alternative timeline

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's one hell of a way to end the episode. :stare:

Me want next episode. :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
On a sidenote, I'm glad that Sigrun got some finally!

• Locked thread