Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

fuf posted:

Thanks that's Interesting stuff

I've been using Plesk for just over a year. It mostly runs smoothly but there's a constant little fear in the back of my mind that the server could crash and burn at any moment because I've missed something obvious.

ServerPilot looks like it might be a better option for me. I will try it out some time.

Have you looked into a managed solution? Someone more versed in the UK market can chime in, but looks like webhosting.com.uk provides a managed Plesk VPS. If (when) your instance spontaneously catches on fire, it's always good to have someone on speed dial. Of course support's always great until you actually have to use it!

SP isn't multi-tenant, so don't expect these clients to have access to a panel nor does it provide an integrated email suite. In such situations you can setup your users with Zoho or Google Apps. Email is a beast to keep clean - even I find myself rotating IP addresses in from my subnet on occasion when a server blows up from a compromised account. Unless you've got access to more than 1 IP address on the server it's best not to host email yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah, IMHO farm out email services to g-suite and just charge a markup rate for management.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

nem posted:

EIG wrecked the industry, VPS is becoming oversimplified, and in due time a dedicated security researcher is going to turn the landscape into a hellscape by unearthing a serious bug.

I'm not always right, but when I am I wish I hadn't been right. This bug would allow an attacker to peek around filesystem caches as well as anything in resident memory, including any private server keys/passwords...

quote:

A vulnerability found by security researchers in Intel processors manufactured over the last ten years is poised to wreak havoc on the world of computing. And the fix? Well, it might not be pretty.

According to The Register, who first discovered the bug, the vulnerability allows for unauthorized programs to discern the "layout or contents of protected kernel memory areas."

https://twitter.com/misc0110/status/948706387491786752

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Would it make a difference if a host is running multiple virtual machines versus “shared hosting” that doesn’t involve virtualization?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Nope. Very roughly put: these bugs basically allow anyone to read any physical memory on a machine. ie: javascript running on vm "A" can read vm "B"s memory.

(Which is why cloud providers are making GBS threads a brick and doing mass patches and reboots).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah I was just thinking about that. “Hey if I can read memory anywhere arbitrarily it doesn’t matter if there is virtualization or not!”

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Hi,

Just wondering if digital ocean is still one of the new cool hosts? I have been using them for a while, and recently got hacked, and was told to destroy my droplet and create a new one to fix the problem (it was about a year and a half old, with no problems until I installed Redis last week, google searching finds that may have been why my server was hacked, which was my fault not theirs). I don't blame them for the hack, or dislike their service, but I was figuring since I have to resetup my server, reinstall the OS, reinstall WHM/Cpanel, resetup a dozen or so domains and their websites (the hack was a malware one that was the kind that downloads, encrypts, and deletes all of my data and will resell it back to me for some bitcoins, I have some of the data backed up but not all) I figure I may as well see if there is any new cool service around.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

BJA posted:

Hi,

Just wondering if digital ocean is still one of the new cool hosts? I have been using them for a while, and recently got hacked, and was told to destroy my droplet and create a new one to fix the problem (it was about a year and a half old, with no problems until I installed Redis last week, google searching finds that may have been why my server was hacked, which was my fault not theirs). I don't blame them for the hack, or dislike their service, but I was figuring since I have to resetup my server, reinstall the OS, reinstall WHM/Cpanel, resetup a dozen or so domains and their websites (the hack was a malware one that was the kind that downloads, encrypts, and deletes all of my data and will resell it back to me for some bitcoins, I have some of the data backed up but not all) I figure I may as well see if there is any new cool service around.

What security measures & practices did you have in place when you got hacked (firewall, fail2ban, key based auth, etc etc)? Can you tell us a bit more about what led you to believe Redis was the culprit?

With a VM there's much more burden on you rather than on the host for keeping it secure. Of course the host can screw you over by allowing social engineering, not staying up to date on patching their host machines, etc.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

BJA posted:

Hi,

DigitalOcean has a ton of new cool poo poo coming soon. I used to work there until last month. Stick with them. Trust me. I’m still under NDA but it’s really cool poo poo.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BJA posted:

Hi,

Did you have redis exposed to the internet ? That's a common way to get owned

When you're rebuilding it might be worth looking at using config management like ansible, because using tooling like that makes rebuilds a lot less painful

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start sometime

fletcher posted:

What security measures & practices did you have in place when you got hacked (firewall, fail2ban, key based auth, etc etc)? Can you tell us a bit more about what led you to believe Redis was the culprit?

With a VM there's much more burden on you rather than on the host for keeping it secure. Of course the host can screw you over by allowing social engineering, not staying up to date on patching their host machines, etc.

None of the things I needed I am sure, which is why I said it was my fault, not theirs :) I'd be interested in some articles on the things you mentioned, but should I consider a managed vps or something?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BJA posted:

None of the things I needed I am sure, which is why I said it was my fault, not theirs :) I'd be interested in some articles on the things you mentioned, but should I consider a managed vps or something?

You know DigitalOcean has free firewalls now too. Just keep your web app updated. Use the DigitalOcean firewall to block off all unnecessary ports. No need to learn iptables

E: it’s dope too. It’s at the hypervisor so traffic never even touches your droplet.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

BJA posted:

The Digital Ocean documentation is actually a decent place to start: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/7-security-measures-to-protect-your-servers

They have a lot more specific articles depending on what exactly you are looking to do: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tags/security/tutorials

Any publicly addressable machine on the internet will be getting hit by automated attacks 24/7 within seconds of being booted up.

So for your redis example, one of the layers of security that could have saved you was if you had a firewall setup that only allowed ports 22 (ssh) and 443 (https) then your unprotected redis service wouldn't be accessible by any joe schmoe on the internet.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

BJA posted:

Hi,

Unlikely that Redis was the cause, unless you installed a really old release from "Jim Bob's Repo Emporium" that hasn't been updated since 2011. I see a 2015 CVE that allows remote code execution via Lua. Installing from EPEL would obviate it as it would have been patched and a new Redis released on EPEL.

What else are you running on there? Wordpress sites? User accounts besides "root"? Those are the most common vectors that I see that once compromised allows an attacker to do whatever in the hell she chooses with impunity.

Edit: as root, public key authentication is the only means by which you should be permitted to access your server. No keyboard-interactive/saved passwords. Got fail2ban running as a deterrent to brute-force attempts? If your site in any way leaks your email address and it's on haveibeenpwned.com or you use the same password elsewhere or a top 10 million password...

nem fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 9, 2018

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start sometime

nem posted:

Unlikely that Redis was the cause, unless you installed a really old release from "Jim Bob's Repo Emporium" that hasn't been updated since 2011. I see a 2015 CVE that allows remote code execution via Lua. Installing from EPEL would obviate it as it would have been patched and a new Redis released on EPEL.

The only reason I assumed this was because googling around some people said they had been hacked shortly after installing it (within a few days) like I did, it was the only thing I had recently changed, and I probably did what jre said since I pretty much installed it, and left it as is:

"Did you have redis exposed to the internet ? That's a common way to get owned"

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

BJA posted:

The only reason I assumed this was because googling around some people said they had been hacked shortly after installing it (within a few days) like I did, it was the only thing I had recently changed, and I probably did what jre said since I pretty much installed it, and left it as is:

"Did you have redis exposed to the internet ? That's a common way to get owned"

Found the possible exploit. That's clever.

Put redis under its own account and disable shell, chsh -s /sbin/nologin redisuser. Also run redis under a socket. Unix domain sockets are ~25% faster than TCP if memory serves me correct and you're not opening it up to the world. :v:

Always keep your users separated and give them the least privilege necessary to carry out a function. Database server just performs database routines. Web server just performs serving web requests, etc. You'll end up with several accounts and it's for the better as you can isolate whenever a breach should occur.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

nem posted:

Found the possible exploit. That's
yep.

Don't expose databases / keystores to the internet. Redis and mongo are particularly awful in terms of their security posture and have been heavily targeted in the last 18 months.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Too bad about the MailChannels price increases.

I've had a package through Lithium Hosting for over a year as a little extra layer of anti-spam protection, and the price has doubled (through no fault of their own).

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

fuf posted:

Too bad about the MailChannels price increases.

I've had a package through Lithium Hosting for over a year as a little extra layer of anti-spam protection, and the price has doubled (through no fault of their own).

Lots of of people / companies are dropping them completely as a result of their sudden price hikes. Some companies paying 4x more per month for the same exact service.
It's a terrible business practice to force existing customers to pay more for the same service. This is our 12th year as a hosting provider and have NEVER forced customers to pay more for their plan, only ever created new plans for new customers. They also modified their reseller / partner program which we were one of the first to test and participate in. Now to be a reseller and utilize their billing system modules, you have to commit to 4M messages per month at over $1000 / month. This means any other MailChannels reseller/partner has also had to jack up their pricing or look for an alternative service. We're still able to sell their service for less than buying from them directly, but our margins are seriously reduced. We no longer sell to new customers but are keeping the service active for existing customers.

We'll also continue to provide MailChannels email protection to our Shared Hosting customers free of charge.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

DarkLotus posted:

This is our 12th year as a hosting provider and have NEVER forced customers to pay more for their plan

I greatly appreciate you doing that. Kept me on Lithium for 8 years now and I even feel guilty when I pay my bill.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I don't even know how to get started with web development these days

do I want XAMPP, Git, Github subscription, and Digital ocean? like I want to be able to develop on my desktop, push button, have it uploaded to web. Shared hosting is not a proper solution to the web app I want to build.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Alpha Mayo posted:

do I want XAMPP,

Are we to assume from this that you are going to be writing your web app in PHP and using MySQL/MariaDB as a database?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah unless that's fallen out of favor. It's the only web language I'm familiar with but I am open to other ideas.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Try heroku?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yeah unless that's fallen out of favor. It's the only web language I'm familiar with but I am open to other ideas.

Web development thread in CoC is where you should ask about this. ( PHP will not be recommended because it's bad...but maybe it's not worth learning something else if you're just trying to get something out the door. )

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Thermopyle posted:

Web development thread in CoC is where you should ask about this. ( PHP will not be recommended because it's bad...but maybe it's not worth learning something else if you're just trying to get something out the door. )

Yeah I am aware that PHP is bad. This is more of an educational project though I know the long-term goal of what I want to make, so learning a new language is fine with me.

Didn't mean to derail, forgot where the web development thread is. Also I forgot about using Vagrant instead of XAMPP (I hate running a bunch of servers on my desktop). I'll just rent a droplet for $5/month and see where it takes me.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Thermopyle posted:

PHP will not be recommended because it's bad

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yeah I am aware that PHP is bad.

:doh:

Stick with PHP7, enable strict-type checks, use Laravel/Lumen, and have a blast not having to nuke your npm repo every other update, which has the footprint of a blackhole. All the retarded programmers flocked to Node and moreover npm is an absolute political quagmire.

But, on the other hand, if you can see the forest through the trees, async programming is pretty sweet :shobon:. Most of the PHP hate is seated in old logic that because it's accessible it yields bad programming. That much is true. Snag a good framework and don't write poo poo code.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yes, the only choices are node and PHP.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, the only choices are node and PHP.

Cool. Time to throw Ruby and Python into the wood chipper on that note.

On global usage numbers alone I’d agree. Use the right tool for the job and call it a day. Sometimes it’s Node. Sometimes it’s PHP. Sometimes it’s Python. Sometimes it’s Haskell. Once upon a time it was Ruby. And back when humans learned to walk upright it was Perl.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I didn't know PHP7 made some progress with typing, which was my biggest problem with PHP. Weak typing feels so sloppy and gave me so many headaches before. My other problem was that it felt like a procedural language with objects later bolted on, though that isn't as much an issue with modern frameworks

Before I had to program around how PHP behaved, instead of telling PHP how to behave.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know a half decent plesk shared host for cheap? <500mb disk, <1gb bw, php7+ (7.2 ideal), ssh required.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Signed up for a Droplet last night, didn't get to logging in to it for first time with ssh until now. just a no-name IP address.

quote:

You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)
Last failed login: Sat Feb 10 16:33:10 UTC 2018 from 182.100.67.237 on ssh:notty
There were 475 failed login attempts since the last successful login.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Alpha Mayo posted:

Signed up for a Droplet last night, didn't get to logging in to it for first time with ssh until now. just a no-name IP address.

fail2ban. Hackers keep ARIN ranges for DO, Linode, AWS in a hot list to continuously try. Sometimes the box changes hands and "root:Password" works. And if you run Apache, a sieve for mod_evasive is good insurance.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

do yourself a favor and use ssh keys so you don't even have a password for the box and it's not sent via email.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah I set up fail2ban and ssh keys and made a regular sudo wheel user for admin and disabled root login and ssh password login. That guy who got hacked through redis got me worried about how I handle everything.
I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to run my own firewall? The site has firewall rules that you set and it says everything is blocked if not allowed there, but some of the guides mention a need for a firewall. I installed UFW and it ended up loving up iptables, which was a mess it left behind after uninstall too. I had to nuke that box and start over anyways (something unrelated, involving permission issues and me typing sudo chmod -R 777 on the wrong parent directory).

My ultimate goal is to have Vagrant running on my home PC running as a mirrored dev environment with the ability to push the changes over to the droplet using something like Git.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yeah I set up fail2ban and ssh keys and made a regular sudo wheel user for admin and disabled root login and ssh password login. That guy who got hacked through redis got me worried about how I handle everything.
I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to run my own firewall? The site has firewall rules that you set and it says everything is blocked if not allowed there, but some of the guides mention a need for a firewall. I installed UFW and it ended up loving up iptables, which was a mess it left behind after uninstall too. I had to nuke that box and start over anyways (something unrelated, involving permission issues and me typing sudo chmod -R 777 on the wrong parent directory).

My ultimate goal is to have Vagrant running on my home PC running as a mirrored dev environment with the ability to push the changes over to the droplet using something like Git.

Nah just use the digitalocean firewall. I mean you can setup iptables but the DigitalOcean firewall is at the hypervisor layer so traffic never reaches your droplet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like there is a new ispmail guide for Debian stretch. There goes a few hours this weekend

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Anyone got any recommendations for a VPS with at least 4 cores, SSD and gigabit throughput? Not sure who the preferred providers are these days.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
do you actually honestly need gigabit?

if not digitalocean can do about 300mbps

edit: actually ~530mbps for me

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

do you actually honestly need gigabit?

if not digitalocean can do about 300mbps

edit: actually ~530mbps for me

I'm assuming most providers are going to provide at least gigabit, but I just want to guarantee that we're not going to be limited to 100mbps or something stupid like that. I considered the large VPS/cloud providers like digital ocean but their pricing kinda sucks, I was hoping someone would have a suggestion for something goon run that isn't oversubscribed garbage but also isn't going to cost me over 100/month.

Also I forgot to say but I'm looking for 16+GB of ram.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 21, 2018