Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The real bloat in Pokemon isn't the large number of items or legacy features which are cool and are part of what made Pokemon successful. It's dumb nonsense features in every game that no one cares about. Like poke finder. Pokefinder is stupid and any time spent developing it was totally wasted. Another big problem with Pokemon is that side quests and things rarely have a reward that's worth anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

less laughter posted:

I never knew Mienshao had those little paws :monocle:

What the gently caress

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Next you'll be telling me Simipour's eyes aren't actually closed.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Ogmius815 posted:

The real bloat in Pokemon isn't the large number of items or legacy features which are cool and are part of what made Pokemon successful. It's dumb nonsense features in every game that no one cares about. Like poke finder. Pokefinder is stupid and any time spent developing it was totally wasted. Another big problem with Pokemon is that side quests and things rarely have a reward that's worth anything.

Game Freak has gone on record and said that they don't make a real distinction between experiments that are failures and ones that were successful. They generally wipe the slate clean unless the feature is really well received and actually improves the QoL (and even then they don't always).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh I don't even care as long as they don't bring back HMs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

less laughter posted:

I never knew Mienshao had those little paws :monocle:

Okay, this can't be real. There's no way I've missed something like this...right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mymla posted:

Tbh I don't even care as long as they don't bring back HMs.

There will be a boycott if Gen 8 brings back HMs.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Preposterous, only the kind people of Alola want to live in a country navigable by non-trainers.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay, this can't be real. There's no way I've missed something like this...right?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
They've always been there. I'm sorry.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Even the Pokedex makes note that it uses the hair on its arms in attacks, but its understandable as it doesn't learn any moves that would show this off.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wait, is it really a thing that people never noticed Miensho’s whip robe thingies aren’t it’s actual paws?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

I thought they were really long sleeves, like Chinese water sleeves, and not... Extremely long and fleshy arm hair.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Squats posted:

I thought they were really long sleeves, like Chinese water sleeves, and not... Extremely long and fleshy arm hair.

I bet you think Scraggy/Scrafty are actually wearing baggy pants, don't you?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. I just hit the Ultra Necrozoma fight. That was....something. Super dickery on GF's part. I just happened to have a Marrowak with Perish Song bred on it, but there was straight nothing else I could do against it.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Anyone around able to do a small pile of trade evolutions for me? I've gotten up to just before the Elite Four, and I wanted to fill out some of my Dex prior to moving on.

Omni
0533-5330-9950

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

OmniBeer posted:

Anyone around able to do a small pile of trade evolutions for me? I've gotten up to just before the Elite Four, and I wanted to fill out some of my Dex prior to moving on.

Omni
0533-5330-9950

Sure. 2234-7230-6265, IGN's Kurieg. Send me a PM once you're ready.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. I just hit the Ultra Necrozoma fight. That was....something. Super dickery on GF's part. I just happened to have a Marrowak with Perish Song bred on it, but there was straight nothing else I could do against it.

Yeah that fight was some straight up fangame nonsense.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People who struggled with the Necrozma fight baffle me, since I was almost level 65 by the time I got to Poni Island - and that with skipping a lot of trainer battles and running from almost half the wild pokemon fights
The way they were hyping it up and saying how hard it was made me think its Ultra Aura boosted its stats by two or three stages, but nah, it was only +1 to everything

Totem Kommo-o gave me more trouble than Ultra Necrozma did

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Toxic on a Lopunny of all things kinda cheesed that fight for me. My good bird friend could sit back and relax.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vinylshadow posted:

People who struggled with the Necrozma fight baffle me, since I was almost level 65 by the time I got to Poni Island - and that with skipping a lot of trainer battles and running from almost half the wild pokemon fights
The way they were hyping it up and saying how hard it was made me think its Ultra Aura boosted its stats by two or three stages, but nah, it was only +1 to everything

Totem Kommo-o gave me more trouble than Ultra Necrozma did

And you played with the EXP Share on at all times, I imagine, because being level 65 at that point is not normal without heavy grinding.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

having the EXP share on is normal actually

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Blaze Dragon posted:

And you played with the EXP Share on at all times, I imagine, because being level 65 at that point is not normal without heavy grinding.

I was still sitting around level 54-57 at that point and I never turned it off. 65 seems high.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If they were traded. that can give an EXP boost.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

I was still sitting around level 54-57 at that point and I never turned it off. 65 seems high.

yeah same.maybe he had a lucky egg? thats all i can think of besides trading boosts

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You can also get a 20% boost from getting 2 stars in Pokemon refresh.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

sharrrk posted:

yeah same.maybe he had a lucky egg? thats all i can think of besides trading boosts

rare candies

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

thats cheating. using rare candies is cheating, and furthermore, its illegal

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

I always turn it off because it feels like cheating. A pokemon should have to work for its experience points.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pokemon dont have bootstraps u mark

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Using rare candies and exp share obviously isn't wrong in anyway if you want to do that, and it's pretty fair to complain that the developers hosed up the level curve to make the game too easy at the end (although they've certainly done worse before), but unless you're a true Pokemon newbie my sympathy is blunted because obviously you should have known to turn off exp share and not grind too much.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had a couple of traded Pokemon and the Refresh boosts, but I still lost to Necrozma on my first go. It outsped everyone except for Raichu and could deal super effective hits against most of my party.

I only beat it with the help of Nuzzle.

I turned off EXP share pretty early, once my freshly hatched eggs had caught up to the level of my starter.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

sharrrk posted:

Exp. Share and Refresh Boost only, actually

I also switched pokémon a lot more than in previous generations, which meant both pokémon were getting 100% of the experience from the battle

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Super No Vacancy posted:

more proof that normies are insanely fail.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I had trading and affection boosts but really the thing that broke the fight for me was a fairy-type specialty. It was just a matter of taking the hits, not dishing them out.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I soft reset until a quick claw proc so that I could use thunder wave to actually be able to hit it. Also Thunderwave missed 3 times during this soft resetting.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Save for my starter, I had all poison types so one-winged necrozma was a nightmare until I remembered Toxic exists.

Type gimmicks are the one true way to play pokemon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh poo poo, there's a surfing Pikachu in this game? loving baller!

Aloan Raichu
Timid @ ???
Psychic
Surf
Thunderbolt
???

Recommendations?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Aloan Raichu
Timid @ ???
Psychic
Surf
Thunderbolt
???

Recommendations?

Nuzzle. It saved my rear end on a few occassions during the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

AlternateNu posted:

Aloan Raichu
Timid @ ???
Psychic
Surf
Thunderbolt
???

Recommendations?

Signal Beam for coverage, Nuzzle if you want a way to paralyze opponents. Shame that it’s locked out of Nasty Plot