Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

sticksy posted:

Hell, Greg Land has made a pretty lucrative career out of it.

If memory serves, someone asked one of the editors at Marvel why he still has a job and the answer was something along the lines of "he's a workhorse and he's never come close to missing a deadline."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just finished the Phasma audio book. drat I really dig the character now. Maybe I'm making too much of it but I'm glad for a book around a compelling female villain, written by a woman and performed by a woman in the Star Wars canon.

I was thinking of reading the Aftermath trilogy but there doesn't seem to be audio books for some reason. It's fine but could someone suggest why that is?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BizarroAzrael posted:

I was thinking of reading the Aftermath trilogy but there doesn't seem to be audio books for some reason. It's fine but could someone suggest why that is?

Aftermath 1 Amazon Aftermath 1 Audible

Aftermath 2 Amazon Aftermath 2 Audible

Aftermath 3 Amazon Aftermath 3 Audible

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

reading...audio books
:thunk:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Doesn't work, maybe a UK rights issue?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BizarroAzrael posted:

Doesn't work, maybe a UK rights issue?

Didn't realize you were UK

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

jivjov posted:

Didn't realize you were UK

No problem, didn't realise it would prove to be relevant. Wonder who's paying £40+ for these.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Aftermath is just rear end though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ShineDog posted:

Aftermath is just rear end though.

Looks like, thought I saw positive reviews previously. Audible reviews have the second and third books are betters. They also gave Darksaber a 4+/5 so whatever.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Marvel Captain Phasma TPB any good?

I haven't really paid much attention to the Marvel Star Wars books besides the Darth Vader omnibuses (which I thought were alright, a bit hit and miss)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's okay, rather predictable. If you're the kind of person who is hung-up on your protagonist being remotely likeable then you may want to avoid because Phasma has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. poo poo, Vader's murdering folks left, right and centre in his own series and manages to come across better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the Phasma mini was "every time Phasma has an opportunity to be completely lovely, she does!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Phasma felt like it was building up to a good ending but everything gets wrapped up really suddenly in the final issue and huge moments just get glossed over to get to that last page on time

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Art's fantastic though.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ehhh, thanks for the warning. Will probably put off checking it out. Has anything else been notably alright lately?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Darth Maul mini-series was alright.

I think the newer Darth Vader series is actually shaping up to be the best ongoing Star Wars comic right now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Weird too-realistic faces aside, I like where the plot is going in the main ongoing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've always liked the Darth Vader comic, despite Larroca. Other than that I think the Leia miniseries is very strong as a character piece and a honest, good story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Larocca on Darth Vader wasn't quite as jarring since he was drawing, well, not a human face for the main character (at least until Dr. Aphra appeared). He's loving awful on Star Wars and I wish they would get almost anyone else to do the art. But yeah, I like what Gillen is doing on Star Wars already. And Aphra. I just like Gillen, really.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Bar the art on Star Wars I also enjoy the direction Gillen is taking the comic.

The Aphra new arc is looking good from it's opening issue.

And the new Vader series is strong and with great art.

I love this spread of Vader's mental state from the latest issue. The thunderstorm of rage with the few glittering lights struggling to stay aloft with Vader at the center. A mass of hatred and pain and the void where his limbs once were.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Some comics news:

Per the editor of Poe Dameron, the series is not ending at Issue #25 as speculated
https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status/943231267457437696

There's a follow up reply about "needing to wait and see" when someone asked if they'd be moving the series to post-TJL. So my current speculation is that Issue #25 will finish out the Pre-TFA stuff with Poe finding Lor San Tekka on Jakku, but we will be jumping into the post TLJ era.

Per the asst. editor of Doctor Aphra, Hera is making an appearance!
https://twitter.com/HeatherAntos/status/943182303852990464

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I remain dubious about post-TLJ content being released until Episode 9 is in the can. Episode 9 continuity is too much in flux until they've finished filming. So probably very late this year at the earliest. What I could see though, is the Poe series covering up until TFA, an issue covering TFA from Poe's POV (i.e. how he got off Jakku), a couple issues bridging TFA/TLJ (explaining the pilots who are missing in TLJ and the new ships/pilots who show up), then an issue covering TLJ from Poe's POV. Not sure that last one would cover much new ground, but there's a chance in there to explore Poe's mindset more. At that point they might finally have an idea of what they can do to start bridging the gap to IX.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, now that I've seen TLJ a couple times...I really don't know how they're gonna do any post-film content in the sequel trilogy era. I guess the current story arc with Lor San Tekka doesn't necessarily have to dovetail straight in to the beginning of Episode VII though. Now that Poe and Leia know where he is, maybe they can now keep in contact, and have months/years of time to explore before Jakku?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
TLJ takes place mere hours or days after TFA, right? I'm not sure how much material they could cram in-between those.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Schneider Heim posted:

TLJ takes place mere hours or days after TFA, right? I'm not sure how much material they could cram in-between those.

The Rey/Luke stuff picks up moments after the end of TFA, and the Resistance plot arc is, at best, a day or two later.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

We don't know how much time it is between when Starkiller blows up and Rey leaves to find Luke. Possibly a day or two for her on D'Qar. It's then some indeterminate amount of time to travel to the first Jedi temple and fully evacuate D'qar. Also an unknown amount of time for them in Hyperspace after Poe blows up the dreadnought. We know there are apparently deleted scenes of Poe and Finn talking after he wakes up, so they could use that too.

Poe's arc through TLJ would actually make for a good couple of issues, allowing the reader to get into his psychology and why he was doing what he did. Part one of the TLJ arc would start with him parting ways with some of his old TFA pilots as they go do other missions, the prep for the evac, the First Order's arrival and the dreadnought fight. Second part could cover his plans with Finn and Rose and the later mutiny. Third part could cover Crait. The issue after could then start covering post-TLJ content.

You could easily get 7 issues out of a TFA/TLJ arc.

TFA - 3 Issues [Travel to Jakku, talks to Lor San Tekka finally and escape with Finn] [Shows his escape from Jakku and fight on Takodana] [Attack on Starkiller]
Movie Bridge - 1 Issue (could possible go 2) [Briefs TFA pilots and sends them on their way]
TLJ - 3 Issues [D'Qar evac and attack on dreadnought] [Mutiny] [Crait battle]

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 6, 2018

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Forces of Destiny: Leia was nothing special but the art is nice and not like the flash cartoon.

I read through the Dark Horse Star Wars Infinities while snowed in. They were fun adventures. Maybe Marvel tracing isn't so bad after all?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Was Mon Mothma the emperor all along?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Someone got paid for that. My god.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
"This is our artist! He may have that milky film over one eye and extreme astigmatism in the other, but dammit he meets deadlines!"

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Holy poo poo. How was that even released

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Teek posted:

I remain dubious about post-TLJ content being released until Episode 9 is in the can. Episode 9 continuity is too much in flux until they've finished filming. So probably very late this year at the earliest. What I could see though, is the Poe series covering up until TFA, an issue covering TFA from Poe's POV (i.e. how he got off Jakku), a couple issues bridging TFA/TLJ (explaining the pilots who are missing in TLJ and the new ships/pilots who show up), then an issue covering TLJ from Poe's POV. Not sure that last one would cover much new ground, but there's a chance in there to explore Poe's mindset more. At that point they might finally have an idea of what they can do to start bridging the gap to IX.

i assume they are gonna do a time jump from TLJ to whatever, they kinda have too.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Forces of Destiny: Leia was nothing special but the art is nice and not like the flash cartoon.

I read through the Dark Horse Star Wars Infinities while snowed in. They were fun adventures. Maybe Marvel tracing isn't so bad after all?

why does mothma look like lady elaine from mister rogers and leia look like fish.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

What the gently caress is going on with Luke's eyes

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume they are gonna do a time jump from TLJ to whatever, they kinda have too.

Why would that be? That's kind of one of the reasons why I think they'll wait until 9 finishes filming. Once they see where it's going, they can use that as one of the comics to start bridging the gap to it, which I'm guessing will end up being a 1-2 year time jump in the movie. With 1-2 years until 9 in-universe, that's a ton of time to throw in a lot of stories. Same reason the Star Wars comic has been filling in the gap between ANH and ESB.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/SalvadorLarroca/status/894637074892107776

Well now I know why the faces are clashing so much with the rest of the art on the main Star Wars title. Larroca is also coloring them after he draws them.

Not sure why he can't just leave that to his colorist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look closer. He's not coloring, he's copy-pasting photos.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I was about to say. I'm pretty sure he just put an old picture of Angel as the head of the officer. Which, like, neat. I get it. But gently caress man I'd much rather you just draw all the faces.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Look closer. He's not coloring, he's copy-pasting photos.

Ugh

But anyway I thought end of current arc in Darth Vader was very strong. Great art and use of a character that had just seconds of movie screen time. The ending where Luke finds Nu's mini archive is interesting. I wonder when and where we'll see a follow up on that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man...i'm really not sure how I feel about Ashes of Jedha....just feels like a huge setup for the OT characters to talk about how cool and heroic the Rogue One team was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd like it more if the art wasn't so bad.