Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was mocking your grammar not your wife's credentials

It's library science!

My dad has a master's degree in it too

Grew up with an academic library system at my fingertips. Wrote my fifth grade book report with sources from worldcat

Is worldcat like a CueCat because I have one of those, used it to scan my whole library into Goodreads

except for all the pre-ISBN books of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

fridge corn posted:

the majority of my books are ebooks

I used to be this way, but most ebook versions of public domain works are trash: riddled with formatting errors and typos, no footnotes—or if there are, they aren't linked to the main text—and sometimes even missing text. When I started reading more capital-L literature a few years ago, ebooks started to chap my rear end, pushing me eventually to abandon my Kindle altogether. And there's no satisfying digital equivalent of opening a familiar book to a random page or favorite passage and just starting to read. Nor can a digital interface even approach the experience of browsing shelves, or replicate the (admittedly shallow) pleasure of showing off what's effectively a trophy shelf of finished books.

Now, I know these things are more important to some people than others, so nobody jump in with "that's a matter of personal preference!" I'm just saying I'm firmly in the print camp.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

i shelf books by their authors' political beliefs. the fascists are on the same shelves as communists, and there's a pentagram drawn with blood of the innocents in thhe middle

the liberal reader

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I just stuff mine wherever I can fit them. I have to trade in books to make room for new books because I don't have much space. I organize mine by height to make room to stack more books on top of the standing ones.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is worldcat like a CueCat because I have one of those, used it to scan my whole library into Goodreads

except for all the pre-ISBN books of course

Worldcat is the global free library loan network

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Stuporstar posted:

I just stuff mine wherever I can fit them. I have to trade in books to make room for new books because I don't have much space. I organize mine by height to make room to stack more books on top of the standing ones.

I organize my books alphabetically by author last name, and the by publication year - but I am almost out of room on my shelves. Which means I will probably have to trade some in soon. How do you decide which books to trade in? I love them all, even the ones I didn't like.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the only organisation i have is that the big books go on the bigger shelves and that sometimes books by the same person go together

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

pleasecallmechrist posted:

And Mel once again proves he does indeed have his head so very far up his rear end...as in if his head was a dick, he would be balls deep in his own rear end.

u mad

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

A human heart posted:

the only organisation i have is that the big books go on the bigger shelves and that sometimes books by the same person go together

This is what I do basically as well

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I organize my books by periodically trying to convince my wife, who has an actual master's degree in librarian, to organize the books. It makes her laugh, so that's a win.

Does she put ancient mythology in the 398s or the 200's???

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does she put ancient mythology in the 398s or the 200's???

she has a locket that says " I still believe in 398.2" but my books are my problem as far as she's concerned

to be fair reorganizing them all would involve a fairly major logistical problem just to find a place to put them all while they're being reorganized

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
God, I'd love to have shelves built into the walls.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

she has a locket that says " I still believe in 398.2"

drat that is the most librarian thing I have heard of.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

pleasecallmechrist is always mad

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I organise my books by how into anime I think the authors would be. Still trying to figure out where to put the Bible though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wrageowrapper posted:

Still trying to figure out where to put the Bible though.

Tucked into your body pillow

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

at the date posted:

lol if you have to read a bio to realize that the guy who wrote "Usura" and the cantos singing Mussolini's praises is a fash.

He was doing those things ironically

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

she has a locket that says " I still believe in 398.2" but my books are my problem as far as she's concerned

I am sorry to have to tell you this but you have a garbage librarian for a wife if she reps the Dewey over the Library of Congress system

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Worldcat is the global free library loan network

This is the one place I can brag about it - I got a job at OCLC, the nonprofit that does Worldcat a few months ago.

I use Lincoln in the Bardo as my example book for everything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am sorry to have to tell you this but you have a garbage librarian for a wife if she reps the Dewey over the Library of Congress system

I asked her about this and her answer was that the Library of Congress system has longer numbers so it wouldn't fit on the locket.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also gently caress Congress

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

buddy, i'm trying

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Has anyone picked up Ferocity by Nicola Lagioia yet? It is drat good.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

thehoodie posted:

I organize my books alphabetically by author last name, and the by publication year - but I am almost out of room on my shelves. Which means I will probably have to trade some in soon. How do you decide which books to trade in? I love them all, even the ones I didn't like.

First I traded in a lot of total poo poo, but I have so little space (and money) I have to be more ruthless, so now I trade in books I know for sure I'll never read again. Now I only keep books worth rereading. Most of my SFF does not fit that category. If I'm unsure of a book, I put it on the reread pile and give it another go before I decide.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

blue squares posted:

This is too edgy for the lit thread

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I’m a dumbass stem undergrad but this quarter I’m taking a really cool comp lit class on modernist novels so get ready for a bunch of hot takes mfers
My first hot take is that the first reading for that class, which was an essay by Simone Weil on the Iliad, owned bones
Thank you for reading

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

smug n stuff posted:

I’m a dumbass stem undergrad but this quarter I’m taking a really cool comp lit class on modernist novels so get ready for a bunch of hot takes mfers
My first hot take is that the first reading for that class, which was an essay by Simone Weil on the Iliad, owned bones
Thank you for reading

modernism is a hoot, enjoy. never before or after has so many writers successfully turned a person making GBS threads into art.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was mocking your grammar not your wife's credentials

It's library science!

My dad has a master's degree in it too

Grew up with an academic library system at my fingertips. Wrote my fifth grade book report with sources from worldcat

Please post your fifth grade book report

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I asked her about this and her answer was that the Library of Congress system has longer numbers so it wouldn't fit on the locket.

Fair

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ebooks can be fine for travel but I haven't used my kindle for a year and a half or something, and didn't bother last time I travelled. I've got a lot of pirated poo poo on it, but as at the date mentioned the formating is like almost always a nightmare, even (or especially) with books in public domain.

amazon has given me an unlimited 50% discount on a new kindle but I doubt I'll ever use it tbh. nothing can fully replace a physical book

citing ebooks is also a complete loving nightmare, at least in APA

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I only buy stuff for kindle if it's on sale for $5 or under. I've got a lot of great books on it, and I keep it with me when I go out, but I still prefer and usually pick physical books to read. I don't seem to retain as much when reading on the kindle.

Still, the kindle is really good for short story collections, public domain works, and genre fiction. Or traveling with larger books like Against The Day or Ulysses.

Amazon started giving discounts on ebook versions of physical books purchased through them, but it's only for select titles, and the discount isn't great (and varies wildly), and they made it really hard to find. I wish they had the option for a flat rate of paying an extra $3 or so on a physical book to also get the digital copy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ulvir posted:

ebooks can be fine for travel but I haven't used my kindle for a year and a half or something, and didn't bother last time I travelled. I've got a lot of pirated poo poo on it, but as at the date mentioned the formating is like almost always a nightmare, even (or especially) with books in public domain.

amazon has given me an unlimited 50% discount on a new kindle but I doubt I'll ever use it tbh. nothing can fully replace a physical book

citing ebooks is also a complete loving nightmare, at least in APA

They're handy for research though because you can run searches. For page numbers I open them in some viewer on my PC that shows the actual numbers, I've had a lot of trouble creating proper citations.

I don't have a kindle but I have a pocketbook which is a less closed environment, it basically takes any format and you don't have to horse around with cloud bullshit and other nerd poo poo I don't understand.

Stuff I read for fun though, yeah, I prefer a physical copy, but I often move so I don't want to haul around lots of books from one country to another.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
At this point I prefer the kindle for any book that doesn't have either

1) extensive illustrations

2) specific typographic effects

3) detailed and lengthy annotations.

Any of those three, yeah, physical copy. Otherwise the advantages dwarf the disadvantages.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

At this point I prefer the kindle for any book that doesn't have either

1) extensive illustrations

2) specific typographic effects

3) detailed and lengthy annotations.

Any of those three, yeah, physical copy. Otherwise the advantages dwarf the disadvantages.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of reading poetry on the kindle. I have quite a few Ashbury collections on kindle that are formatted well and adapt to whatever text settings I have, but most poetry collections I've bought aren't good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think one of the problems is that you're never not-aware of the fact that you're using a technological device and that the letters on the screen are impermanent which is at least to me somewhat distracting, same reason I can't really read on my laptop.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Shibawanko posted:

I think one of the problems is that you're never not-aware of the fact that you're using a technological device and that the letters on the screen are impermanent which is at least to me somewhat distracting, same reason I can't really read on my laptop.

is this like when tibetan monks are taught to imagine women as the rotting corpses and skeletons they will inevitably become in order to make it easier to keep their vow of chastity

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Has anyone picked up Ferocity by Nicola Lagioia yet? It is drat good.

Just finished this. It's awesome, everyone. Highly recommend if you like hosed-up family dramas/detective/conspiracy set in Italy. This book also won the Strega Prize in 2015, which is apparently the "most prestigious Italian literary award."

Anyway, starting new Laszlo K today - The World Goes On. Anyone read it yet?

Also, what's the deal with Orhan Pamuk. I tried reading Snow but it is really boring.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tree Goat posted:

is this like when tibetan monks are taught to imagine women as the rotting corpses and skeletons they will inevitably become in order to make it easier to keep their vow of chastity

Tried this, now I'm aroused by rotting corpses and skeletons.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I need to read Laszlo K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

thehoodie posted:

Also, what's the deal with Orhan Pamuk. I tried reading Snow but it is really boring.

Snow is good, but it's pamuk in 'classic' mode - only in the second half it goes off the rails more. My Name Is Red and The Black Book are much more adventurous in their approach to storytelling.