Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Please tell me there's a Z3M somewhere with the vanity plate CLWNSHU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There's a part of me that regrets selling my GTI and getting a Cayman. I miss being completely anonymous while driving. :sigh:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Residency Evil posted:

There's a part of me that regrets selling my GTI and getting a Cayman. I miss being completely anonymous while driving. :sigh:

the humblest of brags

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

My kia was a constant source of thumbs ups and conversations, with both genders (obvs mostly dudes, but a baffling number of women too). If you want a massive attention grabber for not much money, put a lift and mud tires on a first gen Sportage.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheWevel posted:

the humblest of brags

:sigh:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Girls like trucks, sorry sports sedanailures

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Depends on where you live.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

Yeah, you’ll hear more “wow I love sitting up high” and “there’s so much room in here” and less “it’s hard to get in to a car this low” and “why is it so loud”

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Fancy cars, trucks, and motorcycles only attract other dudes 99% of the time.

If your vehicle is reasonably clean, reliable, and comfortable that's all most girls (and most people) care about it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My girlfriend likes it when I accelerate as fast as the car can. :smugbert:

get on my level

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Wheeee posted:

And Wranglers, girls love Wranglers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cool startup feel posted:

Yeah, you’ll hear more “wow I love sitting up high” and “there’s so much room in here” and less “it’s hard to get in to a car this low” and “why is it so loud”

This is high US-centric. In my part of the world you'd be more likely go get 'wow for a big vehicle this sure is small inside' or 'why is the ride so bouncy' or 'is the engine supposed to sound like that' but then 'trucks' here are crap like the Ranger and Colorado. Not to mention having to drive round for an extra ten minutes to find a park that'll actually fit the stupid thing in then walking the rest of the way to the intended destination.

Still better than an Audi though - that just screams 'I'm terrible with money'

D C posted:

This must be regional as well - I don't know anyone that likes noisy, uncomfortable vehicles as a daily.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dissss posted:

This is high US-centric. In my part of the world you'd be more likely go get 'wow for a big vehicle this sure is small inside' or 'why is the ride so bouncy' or 'is the engine supposed to sound like that' but then 'trucks' here are crap like the Ranger and Colorado. Not to mention having to drive round for an extra ten minutes to find a park that'll actually fit the stupid thing in then walking the rest of the way to the intended destination.

You just shove that truck where it doesn't fit anyway. Just yesterday I parked my Fiesta in between a Cummins Dodge and a 4Runner parked in very small parking spots spray painted "CARS ONLY".

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

D C posted:

"Silly boys! Jeeps are for girls!"

Tire cover on a pink wrangler with 20+" pink aftermarket wheels.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Still better than an Audi though - that just screams 'I'm terrible with money'

This must be regional as well - I don't know anyone that likes noisy, uncomfortable vehicles as a daily.

I’m sure if you put someone into a European farm implement they would probably notice, but trucks and SUVs in the US are much higher featured.

The average car in the US is about 11 years old, and I’d wager most of those have the original suspension and the cheapest tires available. I highly doubt many, if not most people, pay attention enough to quantify things like ride quality or even consider objective measurements in forming their opinions about how a vehicle feels to them. I have a friend who traded in his ATS 2.0T for a Q5 and said “it drives like a sports car!” even though on paper it’s a slower, less nimble vehicle in every way. This would also explain the popularity of the wrangler which is basically a road legal tractor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

F-150 diesel is 250hp, 440ft/lbs, 150lbs heavier than the ecoboost, aiming for 30mpg highway, and Lariat/KR/Platinum only.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MrOnBicycle posted:

My girlfriend likes it when I accelerate as fast as the car can. :smugbert:

get on my level

:saddowns:

My gf hates even mild acceleration normal driving. Turning into a corner at school zone speeds sees her bracing herself and closing her eyes. Overtaking trucks on the highway is a religious experience for her.

So I did the only thing I could and swapped my Mini for an M240i.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Ford's also claiming something like 1 ton greater towing capacity than the diesel Ram 1500.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

You just shove that truck where it doesn't fit anyway. Just yesterday I parked my Fiesta in between a Cummins Dodge and a 4Runner parked in very small parking spots spray painted "CARS ONLY".

Your 'car only' parks are comparative huge compared to most other places.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dissss posted:

Your 'car only' parks are comparative huge compared to most other places.
Still not big enough for the SUVs around here!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

This would also explain the popularity of the wrangler which is basically a road legal tractor.

The Wrangler is fun in its own ridiculous, hosed up, stupid as poo poo way. After having to creep out of my alley at 0.5 km/h at just the right angle to avoid scraping the front of my Mustang, it was fun as gently caress to drive a rental Wrangler and just blast in and out of that bastard, bouncing like Tigger on meth.

Combine that with decent low-end torque and a transmission that's not extremely dreadful and not tuned for economy, and it actually sort of feels fast-ish if you ignore reality and go solely by what it feels like. I would buy one in a heartbeat compared with some boring-rear end crossover.

But in fact what I did buy was a Golf R, which is better than all of the above.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

Still not big enough for the SUVs around here!

Second guy sucks. First guy rules.

Edit: One thing I'll say about new cars and parking, I'm still surprised when I see people taking their sweet time slowly inching either into or out of spaces in cars new enough that I know they have backup cameras. Are a lot of people's backup cameras going bad? I know my wife has a 2014 Corolla that after the first year the backup camera image (but not the normal screen interface) got really milky and difficult to see, but cleaning the lens doesn't help so I'm not sure what kind of interference would cause that.

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 8, 2018

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hello Spaceman posted:

:saddowns:

My gf hates even mild acceleration normal driving. Turning into a corner at school zone speeds sees her bracing herself and closing her eyes. Overtaking trucks on the highway is a religious experience for her.

So I did the only thing I could and swapped my Mini for an M240i.

My wife won't even sit in the Abarth. We live by the beach in Southern California, it's a convertible, and she WON'T EVEN SIT IN IT.

And that's awesome!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

D C posted:

The Wrangler is basically on par with the mk4 Jetta as a chick car. At least in KC, and it seems to be holding true in Colorado as well. Stock, mall crawler, whatever, there's a good chance an attractive lady is driving it.

davebo posted:

Edit: One thing I'll say about new cars and parking, I'm still surprised when I see people taking their sweet time slowly inching either into or out of spaces in cars new enough that I know they have backup cameras. Are a lot of people's backup cameras going bad? I know my wife has a 2014 Corolla that after the first year the backup camera image (but not the normal screen interface) got really milky and difficult to see, but cleaning the lens doesn't help so I'm not sure what kind of interference would cause that.

The backup cameras on certain cars are just really, really bad. Both Jeep SUV's I've driven had a backup camera that rivaled the Gameboy camera as far as quality goes. The camera on the Cruze is better but it's way too low. The one on my GTI blows the doors off of anything I've had on a rental car.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 8, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The average car in the US is about 11 years old, and I’d wager most of those have the original suspension and the cheapest tires available.

Sure, but an 11 year old ute with the original suspension and cheapest tyres available is going to be orders of magnitude worse.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

PT6A posted:

The Wrangler is fun in its own ridiculous, hosed up, stupid as poo poo way. After having to creep out of my alley at 0.5 km/h at just the right angle to avoid scraping the front of my Mustang, it was fun as gently caress to drive a rental Wrangler and just blast in and out of that bastard, bouncing like Tigger on meth.

People think that luxury is softer leather and nicer instrument panels, but that's just fluff.

Trucks and BOF SUVs are the true luxury vehicles, and once you've driven one for a while it's amazing how lovely and constrained normal cars feel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Guinness posted:

Fancy cars, trucks, and motorcycles only attract other dudes 99% of the time.

Yep. I have a classic old Honda motorcycle and basically 100% of the time the people running up to me to compliment it are dudes my dad's age. "Oh man I had one of those in high school! Oh man! And it's got the, yeah, the scrambler one too, for dirt bike stuff, oh man! Yeah I rode it every day in high school, you know, down in Van Nuys in oh, what was it, 1972? Is this a 72? Yeah 71 man awesome that's the one yeah I mean I rode it every day until I had to layer dan in a turn you know ha ha didn't wear helmets back in that day so I was beat up pretty bad that's why my wife says I'm a little off my rocker today ha ha but man what a bike, man, you're living the dream, don't know why you need all these fancy new things with like a hundred horsepower and the Ducatis and stuff, this is what you need, man, I mean I think about getting a bike again but the wife won't let me ha ha but maybe like, you know those Honda Shadows? Are those good? Like for an old guy with bad knees you know and the seat looks pretty good, I think maybe the wife would get on one of those, we'll see well anyway I gotta go but keep it real, man, that's just wicked rad dude, maybe I'll see you later on the road ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahha hahahaha

On the other hand, I do notice girls checking me out when I'm on the other bike and I've got the mirrored helmet and the tight armored leather jacket that broadens your shoulders and the badass boots with metal plates. They may not be into the bikes themselves but the gear, yeah, now that's intriguing

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The type of girls attracted to cars are not the type of girls you want around for more than a night anyway.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

eyebeem posted:

My wife won't even sit in the Abarth. We live by the beach in Southern California, it's a convertible, and she WON'T EVEN SIT IN IT.

And that's awesome!

Lmao my wife loves her Abarth. She even wants a roll bar and harnesses thrown in eventually. She even got a tattoo of the scorpion logo.
I love driving it, I do get why you would be excited she won't sit in yours because I get yelled at for driving in any sort of "spirited" way. It's best when I get to take it out by myself. That thing inspires me to be an asshat 100% of the time in traffic.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrownieVK posted:

Lmao my wife loves her Abarth. She even wants a roll bar and harnesses thrown in eventually. She even got a tattoo of the scorpion logo.
I love driving it, I do get why you would be excited she won't sit in yours because I get yelled at for driving in any sort of "spirited" way. It's best when I get to take it out by myself. That thing inspires me to be an asshat 100% of the time in traffic.

The best thing about the Abarth is that you can feel like an rear end in a top hat while driving the speed limit.

Also, more than the speed limit.

Also, stopped at a light.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

People think that luxury is softer leather and nicer instrument panels, but that's just fluff.

Trucks and BOF SUVs are the true luxury vehicles, and once you've driven one for a while it's amazing how lovely and constrained normal cars feel.

Have you never driven a real car or something?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Have you never driven a real car or something?

What is a “real car”

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

eyebeem posted:

The best thing about the Abarth is that you can feel like an rear end in a top hat while driving the speed limit.

Also, more than the speed limit.

Also, stopped at a light.
Please tell me you change lanes at the front of stop lights and take the empty space in front of idiots. If I actually drove a tiny car like that I'd be doing that all the time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I met my wife when I didn't even own a car, charm is charm :smuggo:

Don't be a goonlord and you can get attention from the ladies (and men!) no matter what you drive. I've gotten lots of compliments in my stupid kei vans even, usually from hippy/indie/college types. Ricer boys love them too because JDM.
Since my wife has pretty much claimed the Rugger she gets all sorts of attention from men nonstop, where-as when I drive it it's 'woah is that a diesel where is it from that's badass man do you know this one guy he has a landcruiser and yeah I have a Jeep does that have a lift kit are you going to fit bigger tires?' from Jeep guys. Sometimes I get 'thats so CUTE' from women in huge Lexus and Infiniti SUVs and a look or two from the already-mentioned JEEPS ARE FOR GIRLS girls.
Ladies never gave me any attention at all when we had the Golf R, for good reason because I looked like either a old dude in a Golf or a boy ricer with all that baggage. Men sure did like it when my wife drove it though.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ilkhan posted:

Please tell me you change lanes at the front of stop lights and take the empty space in front of idiots. If I actually drove a tiny car like that I'd be doing that all the time.

The Abarth has the turning radius of an F250. Funnily enough our non-Abarth 500 has the tiny turning radius you’d expect it to have.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the true luxury in america is spending $1200 a month on a pickup and lying to yourself every day that the seats arent poo poo and the ride isnt garbage

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium > Read about a new car you like? Post in here, for dating advice!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

On the topic of new trucks, and new cars, how is the global Ranger generally regarded in comparison to the global Colorado in terms of reliability, durability, build quality, etc? Or the Hilix and Navarra for that matter

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wheeee posted:

On the topic of new trucks, and new cars, how is the global Ranger generally regarded in comparison to the global Colorado in terms of reliability, durability, build quality, etc? Or the Hilix and Navarra for that matter

Wasn't there a New Zealand poster who hated the Colorado? Or was that another truck?

edit: Looking at Wikipedia, the Holden version has different engines and is produced in a different factory, so might not be comparable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Colorado#Second_generation_(2012%96present)
edit: Sorry the URL doesn't like the dash character. Stupid forum software from 2001.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

When i was selling my S4 I was looking at Grand Cherokees and Subaru Foresters. I liked the extra size and ride on the Grand Cherokee but ultimately couldn’t talk them down to a price I was happy with. I told the guy at the Jeep dealership no thanks, I’m gonna go with the Subaru because the Jeep isn’t worth the extra money and his response was “come on, would you rather people see you driving a Jeep or a Subaru?”

I was extremely confused. If I cared that much about image why would I be getting rid of an Audi to buy a Jeep?