Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The New Fantastic Four Terrifics are gonna by Slutty Dorothy Gale, Miracleman, Captain Britain, and Jesse Custer. That'll totally own both DC AND Alan Moore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

It was at the time, yeah.

It's probably the best thing Moore has written.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part was when she had to have sex with that old creepy guy to get access to his magic power (or knowledge, I can't quite remember).

It wouldn't be an Alan Moore book without that.

not my favorite part. not all that bad, but I do wish all his books didn't have questionable sex or flat out rape

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Swamp Thing is actually the best thing Alan Moore has ever written

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow was his best DC work that wasn't Watchmen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agh! I meant of his modern works!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite Alan Moore comics are the Captain Britain ones he did with Alan Davis right at the start of his career. The only work he ever did for Marvel (and then only Marvel UK). That one issue where Mad Jim Jaspers has his shape-changing fight with the Fury, who defeats him by teleporting them both into a void where there is no reality for Jaspers to warp, is really fun.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite Alan Moore comics are the Captain Britain ones he did with Alan Davis right at the start of his career. The only work he ever did for Marvel (and then only Marvel UK). That one issue where Mad Jim Jaspers has his shape-changing fight with the Fury, who defeats him by teleporting them both into a void where there is no reality for Jaspers to warp, is really fun.

I like it when the elf dies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Miracleman is probably my personal favourite Moore work. Never managed to get into Promethea, although the art is nice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

I like it when the elf dies

I've never read the pre-Dave Thorpe/Alan Davis stories; was Jackdaw in them or did he just appear alongside Captain Britain at the start of their reboot?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never read the pre-Dave Thorpe/Alan Davis stories; was Jackdaw in them or did he just appear alongside Captain Britain at the start of their reboot?

Jackdaw was part of Steve Parkhouse's revival of Captain Britain in the Marvel UK anthology magazine Hulk Comic Weekly, where he teamed up with Black Knight and had Otherworld adventures. That was the first time he was written by a British person

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

This always breaks my brain. Like, does Jeff Loeb think liberals are okay with incest? Is Jeff Loeb pro-incest? Why the gently caress did the editor approve this?

WHY THE gently caress IS INCEST BEING LAUDED AS A MODERN VALUE!?

DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE!

*shutting down*
Just let it go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

The New Fantastic Four Terrifics are gonna by Slutty Dorothy Gale, Miracleman, Captain Britain, and Jesse Custer. That'll totally own both DC AND Alan Moore.

What does Alan Moore have to do with Jesse Custer?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is Promethea massively popular and I'm the strange one for barely being aware of it? I get Watchmen, that's a well known popular comic, but bringing in Promethea and whoever else just seems like they're specifically trying to get Alan Moore mad.
Yes, DC's current business model revolves around Making Alan Moore Mad, because they get crazy AlanMooreMadBucks from it the madder he gets.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like Promethea an awful lot but I could take or leave Promethea herself. As far as I'm concerned its a series I revisit because I like what Moore has to say about occultism in it and because I like J.H. Williams-- transposed into a straight superhero comic I'm not really sure what the appeal is. Although I guess I feel the same way about Watchmen and the ersatz Charleston crew. If DC wants to stripmine Moore I think they should just cut out the middle-man and drag League of Extraordinary Gentlemen cameos into the spotlight. Give me a Teen Titans that's entirely Peters Lorre and edisonade goobers.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rhyno posted:

I stand by the position that the use of anything Moore created over the past few years is Johns sticking back at him after Moore said Johns career was based on his table scraps. I mean, they're going to drop V into the DCU this year, bank on it.

But instead of sticking it at him, all Johns seems to be doing of late is proving the point though?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Moore I'm just now getting around to reading all of his Swamp Thing and it's kind of weird to see all these things that have been referenced in other books.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sentinel Red posted:

But instead of sticking it at him, all Johns seems to be doing of late is proving the point though?

Geoff Johns is dumb though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He doesn't think he's a wizard so I think he still comes out ahead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Johns next to Moore is like a toddler in a dirty diaper.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

What does Alan Moore have to do with Jesse Custer?
Disrespecting the creator-owned nature of Jesse Custer is totally owning Alan Moore
Using a character created for Vertigo in the DCU is owning the loving poo poo out of Moore because he inspired Vertigo
Confusing Alan Moore for Garth Ennis is just ramming a giant stick named OWNAGE up Alan Moore's roody-poo candyass.

So about as much to do with Alan Moore as Lost Girls has to do with DC or as much as a lot of sick burns have to do with reality, poindexter.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Johns next to Moore is like a toddler in a dirty diaper.

He's potty trained already but he's just wearing the diaper anyway. That's Geoff Johns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lost Girls is public domain actually (except the Peter Pan characters which he just waited out the UK copyright on.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, the work Lost Girls is copyrighted to Alan Moore, Melinda Gebbie, and Todd Klein (or some combination of the three depending on specific contracts between them). The characters it uses are public domain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Moore I'm just now getting around to reading all of his Swamp Thing and it's kind of weird to see all these things that have been referenced in other books.

This run is so good and I don’t see it get raved about as much as it used to which is a shame because it’s excellent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There are no heroes!

https://twitter.com/NancyGrace/status/950779079598530565

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nancy grace still being a thing is far and away the more surprising thing here

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea I am going to need a better source than Nancy Grace on this one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if Stan hadn't done this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79YUknp1T7I

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Yea I am going to need a better source than Nancy Grace on this one.

What do you mean? I certainly think that crimonline.com is a reputable journalistic organization and we should take their headlines at face value.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, do you really think not thinking yourself to be a wizard is better than fully believing that you are a wizard?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Like is anyone really surprised that a guy who at least used to think beating your wife was a thing to do and saying women should be seen and not heard thought it was okay to sexually harass women

And i know i made fun of Nancy Grace but i dunno that it's appropriate to second guess the claims because the victim went to her and not another outlet

site fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 9, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The original source is actually the Daily Mail.

(That's worse.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay I'm not gonna go to bat for the daily mail

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stan Lee has definitely groped at least one woman in the past but yeah I don’t believe this specific story

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just saw a story about him being scammed for 300K as well, lovely couple weeks for Stan

edit: http://montrealgazette.com/entertai...76-dd53309f36f8

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

Like is anyone really surprised that a guy who at least used to think beating your wife was a thing to do and saying women should be seen and not heard thought it was okay to sexually harass women
Is there a history of Stan Lee saying this or are you basing this on how he wrote Reed Richards five or six decades ago? Or should I say how Jack Kirby wrote Reed Richards and then noted dirtbag Stan Lee took credit for Jack Kirby's sexual violence and misogyny?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 9, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Is there a history of Stan Lee saying this or are you basing this on how he wrote Reed Richards five or six decades ago?

This forum seems to have a belief that if you write a character who does lovely things that you, yourself, believe in those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Is there a history of Stan Lee saying this or are you basing this on how he wrote Reed Richards five or six decades ago? Or should I say how Jack Kirby wrote Reed Richards and then noted dirtbag Stan Lee took credit for Jack Kirby's sexual violence and misogyny?

That's why I said used to genius

And your stunning aha gotcha might have been worth a poo poo of Stan had seen the drawing and made Jack change it but instead he thought it was okay to print so I'm not sure what your point is

• Locked thread