Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

I'm 5'9 and every time someone calls someone 6'0+ short I shrink another centimeter

Henchman of Santa posted:

Try being 5’5” and watching every NBA player under 6’1” be referred to as a literal dwarf

How's the weather down there little buddies? Ho ho ho! :v:

Height is an obvious advantage for QBs but the problem we all have with some recent picks is it seems to make up for not being able to play the game for poo poo in some scouts' minds. Hackenberg fits the mental image of a quarterback so the Jets take him in the second round based solely on that as far as I can tell. I also think taller guys are more likely to mitigate that advantage by developing a 3/4 motion since they never have to worry about passes getting batted down at lower levels, so they're not taking full advantage of their height. But that might just be an idea I have stuck in my head, I haven't actually tried to study it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's codified in the rule so it's just part of the rule.

It’s a general rule with a specific exception. The exception is excepting a general rule, proving that there is such a rule. You can argue that it’s stupid or whatever, but that’s the original meaning of the phrase.

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!

Doltos posted:

I'm 5'9 and every time someone calls someone 6'0+ short I shrink another centimeter

Were you originally five miles tall?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

ShakeZula posted:

As I understand it, in the original context of the phrase "prove" means "tests," not "validates." So the original context is basically saying, "Yeah, you're right, that one doesn't fit, it challenges the rule." Since that usage of "prove" has gone by the wayside, people have adapted the phrase to mean pretty much the opposite of its original intention.

This makes so much more sense than anything else people defending the phrase are saying. Thanks for the explanation.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

the memphis wr and that one handed dude from ucf are my picks for most Ownage Cool players this draft.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Shaquem Griffin is going to fall to around the 6th round because of his disability and it's really dumb. He''s a starter wherever he goes.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Christian Hackenberg shows that even if you're lovely in college that you can be a great QB as long as you're hyped up enough. God bless Josh Allen for continuing that proud tradition

Darnold and Rosen are both turnover prone disasters in waiting too though, so I hope they're both starting as rookies

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Big Jesus posted:

This makes so much more sense than anything else people defending the phrase are saying. Thanks for the explanation.

Perhaps, but it’s not actually correct.

https://www.snopes.com/language/notthink/exception.asp

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tell me more about Calvin Ridley reckon he might fall to Carolina?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Christian Hackenberg shows that even if you're lovely in college that you can be a great QB as long as you're hyped up enough. God bless Josh Allen for continuing that proud tradition

Darnold and Rosen are both turnover prone disasters in waiting too though, so I hope they're both starting as rookies

Rosen and Darnold are both good enough QB prospects to warrant gambling with a high overall first pick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Man Sony has some burst to the outside. I love him as a prospect.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Tell me more about Calvin Ridley reckon he might fall to Carolina?
Probably not. He's a good WR held back by a blackhole of suck known as Jalen Hurts and Brian Daboll.

He'll probably still go top 15 regardless because it's a weaker WR draft.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LiquidFriend posted:

Probably not. He's a good WR held back by a blackhole of suck known as Jalen Hurts and Brian Daboll.

Anyone you see around the early 20s who'd be more likely than the best db available?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LiquidFriend posted:

he could be the third wr overall, as he's a lot smaller than the other guys

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

Man Sony has some burst to the outside. I love him as a prospect.

Bucs in the second sounds good to me.

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
What are some examples of top WR prospectss who failed because of their size?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Bonham posted:

What are some examples of top WR prospectss who failed because of their size?

Part time Queen Latifa impersonator Kelvin Benjamin.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
kelvin benjamin
tavon austin

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

mastershakeman posted:

I honestly think he has average hands too

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Any questions about tagovailoa should be met with at least a 24 hour probation

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still trying to figure out the Seahawks' top needs, because a lot will depend on which veterans stay or go.

Tentative list, in order:

OL (duh)
DL (Bennett and Avril are probably gone, Sheldon is a free agent, McDowell might not play a snap, interior pressure has been an issue for years)
CB (Sherman's in his contract year, I'm guessing they give him a chance to come back from the Achilles, but we'll see. Otherwise, pretty bare behind Shaq Griffin)
S (Kam's probably done, who knows what Earl is thinking 3 months from now)
RB (I'm afraid they over-correct and draft a guy too high, but the dumpster-diving method hasn't worked so I expect competition brought in)
WR (The offense desperately needs some big-bodied bullies at wideout, we have too many 5'10 190-pound geeks who can't win contested catches)
TE (Jimmy's probably gone, a glut of JAGs at the position)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I really, really want Roquan Smith. And there is absolutely no chance KC can get him, even with the most favorable of Alex Smith trades.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
He should go to the Raiders but he won't

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

The Ravens are going to be shopping for Flacco targets and Ozzie loves him some Bama. It's destiny.

BlindSite posted:

Anyone you see around the early 20s who'd be more likely than the best db available?
Equanimeous St. Brown is really good and will shoot up boards when people realize ND just had really bad QBs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Raku posted:

I honestly think he has average hands too

I'm not aware of a WR in this class with A+ hands. Another knock on Ridley is that he's 23. That could mean he is who he is with little room to grow. Still think he's the best WR of the class but drafting him high would be a Bill Walsh no-no.

I like Marcel Ateman out of Oklahoma State. Tall, high points, catches the ball on the front end, solid route runner despite lack of quickness, and he's able to muscle out CBs for a little bit of YAC. Could be a solid chainmover in the NFL.

E:

LiquidFriend posted:

Equanimeous St. Brown is really good and will shoot up boards when people realize ND just had really bad QBs.

Apparently Equanimeous has a brother named Amon-Ra St. Brown. That family rules.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 9, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not aware of a WR in this class with A+ hands. Another knock on Ridley is that he's 23. That could mean he is who he is with little room to grow. Still think he's the best WR of the class but drafting him high would be a Bill Walsh no-no.

I like Marcel Ateman out of Oklahoma State. Tall, high points, catches the ball on the front end, solid route runner despite lack of quickness, and he's able to muscle out CBs for a little bit of YAC. Could be a solid chainmover in the NFL.

E:

Apparently Equanimeous has a brother named Amon-Ra St. Brown. That family rules.

Their dad was Mr. Universe. His name is just John Brown. He added the “St.” for his children because it sounds cool.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is there is any massive space eating defensive tackles, ala Vince Wilfork in this draft?

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

DariusLikewise posted:

Is there is any massive space eating defensive tackles, ala Vince Wilfork in this draft?

94 on Bama last night looked gargantuan. Also 78 from Georgia.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

DariusLikewise posted:

Payne (Alabama) and Vita Vea (Washington) are the premier guys but there's a bunch this draft.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

They both look like late first round guys too, that owns. The Rams need the biggest, fatest, coolest dudes for the middle of their defensive line.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The lions need to draft 3 DL at least this draft. 4 if Ansah walks. It is by far the weak link on the team.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LiquidFriend posted:

The Ravens are going to be shopping for Flacco targets and Ozzie loves him some Bama. It's destiny.
Joe Flacco will have 28mil in dead money including taking 4 more mil out of Baltimore already incredibly close-to-the-max cap cap space if he is cut or traded. They would literally lose cap space next year if the ship him out. Like...they are currently projected to have just over 11mil available cap....that number would go down to 7.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Joe Flacco will have 28mil in dead money including taking 4 more mil out of Baltimore already incredibly close-to-the-max cap cap space if he is cut or traded. They would literally lose cap space next year if the ship him out. Like...they are currently projected to have just over 11mil available cap....that number would go down to 7.
Shopping for Flacco targets, not shopping Flacco.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diva Cupcake posted:

Shopping for Flacco targets, not shopping Flacco.
:cripes: How did I get that backwards

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Trading Flacco would be Wacco

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Doltos posted:

Any questions about tagovailoa should be met with at least a 24 hour probation

The kid can spin it... Imagine if Alabama is going to have actual good QB for the next 2 years at least?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DariusLikewise posted:

Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne, and Reginald McKenzie Jr. are the three biggest top 100 picks.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Payne has that surprising athleticism too that was part of what made Wilfork awesome at times

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Payne reminds me of a less fluid Leonard williams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Payne was their big home town recruit from a few years back. He's just a big country kid who's got an upper body like a monster and mauls people like that. I don't think he's that quick like Wilfork because he skips leg day. It's not like he has a small lower body since he's so big, but you can tell he doesn't have the quick get off like he's going to be a back field guy. He's got quick feet but no drive from his lower half, it's all upper body with him.

• Locked thread