Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
That sounds like an idea but for it to work I need to own a province with the gothic culture and the Ottos currently own it. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can I get Consulate of the Sea if I start as Aragon and form Spain, then form Italy?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
From the wiki it looks like it ONLY looks at who you start as, but if you really feel the need to check you could always save, take one of the decisions, check to see if the achievement is still on the list and if not close from the task manager.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah you could form italy if you want to fall asleep at your desk from boredom. or you could start as aragon and vassal switch to sardinia/sicicly/navarra and get it. provided that's what you are in to

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

oddium posted:

yeah you could form italy if you want to fall asleep at your desk from boredom. or you could start as aragon and vassal switch to sardinia/sicicly/navarra and get it. provided that's what you are in to

i play this on my xbox so no desk numbnuts

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

Is there a mod or something that makes it so some diplomatic actions don't need a diplomat or let you use a diplomat already in the country?

Like I'm improving relations somewhere and I wanna offer a royal marriage. Right now I have to:
recall diplomat
wait for cooldown
offer royal marriage
wait for cooldown
send him back to continue improving relations

It's retarded and frustrating. If the diplomat is already there hanging out making friends then let him perform some actions.

alternative: is there a cheat to give myself an extra diplomat who I can just keep free at all times for various actions?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You could probably add one via modded decision or mission, if you understand the scripting somewhat. Wouldn't be that hard I think and there is an AI flag for it so only you can do it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

fuf posted:

alternative: is there a cheat to give myself an extra diplomat who I can just keep free at all times for various actions?

there is an exploit built into the game actually where if you take diplomatic ideas you can get an extra diplomat that you can keep free for these things, better get on that now before paradox patches it out though

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

pog boyfriend posted:

there is an exploit built into the game actually where if you take diplomatic ideas you can get an extra diplomat that you can keep free for these things, better get on that now before paradox patches it out though

You get one from top-tier idea groups Aristocratic and Espionage too. Take all three for optimal diplomat idling

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
If I'm getting one legitimately through ideas then I want him improving relations or building a spy network somewhere. I want a cheat one that I can use for one-off actions so I don't have to play the diplomat recall minigame

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Unless you're sending diplomats from like France to Ming, isn't the cooldown like a couple days or a week at most? Just doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's not the time so much as the unnecessary fiddliness. It's not a big issue I was just checking if there was an easy way to do away with it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eldred posted:

You get one from top-tier idea groups Aristocratic and Espionage too. Take all three for optimal diplomat idling

And now I want to make a custom nation with extra diplomats and espionage ideas, plop it down in a single remote island, take those ideas and influence the whole world from my tiny paradise. I could call it The Illuminati :tinfoil:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

HAB is already in the game though

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Prav posted:

HAB is already in the game though

Please, we're only the Illuminati, not complete monsters :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

shadow diplomats was a cool powerful bug. rest in power

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Are there any good eu4 lps on SA or paradox forums, or somewhere? I know there's a bunch on YouTube but Id rather read than watch videos

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I want to do an Austria HRE run but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've done Brandenburg and expanded the usual way by painting the map grey to make Mega Germany but I want to work within the mechanics of the HRE and expand that way. But how?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finnish Flasher posted:

Are there any good eu4 lps on SA or paradox forums, or somewhere? I know there's a bunch on YouTube but Id rather read than watch videos

Most of them start in CK2.

The Byzantium one is particularly good though.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I want to do an Austria HRE run but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've done Brandenburg and expanded the usual way by painting the map grey to make Mega Germany but I want to work within the mechanics of the HRE and expand that way. But how?

Strangle the Ottomans in the crib, that should give you a good amount of early IA and a nice power base. Only really attack HRE princes to force convert protestants (Religious is a must). Release as many princes as possible from other nations when possible. Make sure to really stamp down on the reformation and try to force everything catholic. At first, you'll lose a ton of IA from the reformation, but get through it and things will go back to normal.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 8, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

PU whoring is Austria’s best road to success. Marry carefully and claim thrones whenever it is worth the trouble. You will get missions to PU Bohemia and Hungary and you should do both as fast as you can, because once the Protestants show up you will want to spend as much time as needed stamping them out and you need a strong power base with few distractions. If you can’t get your monthly IA gain to a nice positive level at some point, you’ll wind up being really dependent on conquest to pick up the IA you need to pass reforms, and this means you have to crush heretics and demand territory from anyone in the empire who tries to expand. If they won’t give it back, so much the better, you can attack and butcher them. The fewer heretics you have, the less trouble the league war will be.

Remember to always butter up the electors, in particular archbishop-electors (unlike secular princes, they cannot vote for themselves). There’s nothing like blowing decades waiting for some goon from East Frisia or whatever to shuffle off his imperial coil because you pissed off the elector of Brandenburg and he split the vote.

You can also try and pick up territory in Italy once the minors there leave the HRE, it will make you richer especially if you can snag Venice and/or Genoa and every little bit of IA counts. Your other frontiers are not super easy to expand on, you can probably grab some land from Ottos or PL but they’re obviously going to put up a fight and if you make them really mad you’ll probably have to deal with them in the league war which is a gigantic pain.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What ideas should I choose?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Religious and Diplomatic are a must. You really need the Holy War/conversion strength to deal with the reformation, and Diplomacy is kind of your strongest weapon in an Austria game. I'd go defensive in terms of mil ideas because it kind of fits the position. Influence is also really useful for handling PUs and the like and helping more with diplomacy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/6btb1o/a_guide_to_an_overpowered_austria_in_121/

Used this, revoked the privilegia around mid 1500s, PU over Great Britain (was Hungary/Bohemia too before inheriting), Von Habs on Spain/Commonwealth, France's no more.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reman made a guide on how to get started with Austria.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

fuf posted:

If I'm getting one legitimately through ideas then I want him improving relations or building a spy network somewhere. I want a cheat one that I can use for one-off actions so I don't have to play the diplomat recall minigame

Yeah, I agree with this. Maybe have some kind of bonus for having one diplomat at home so you don't have to have them all employed 100% of the time or play sub-optimally.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thanks for the tips.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Depends on what you are trying to do but Admin + Influence is always good and gives you the -20% diplo annex policy which is especially nice for Austria

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah for Austria I went with Diplo -> Religious (reformation + Balkans and eastern Europe) -> Offensive -> Influence and after that it didn't matter anymore.
One thing I found odd is the Hungary PU, it's a flat 25% chance to get the PU, your diplomatic relations don't even matter. I restarted until I got it, since it saves you a war and the event is triggered in the 1450s.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I need some advice on how to devastate the Ottomans.

It's 1740s and I'm playing Venice. I have a huge Navy (because you can have infinite Light ships since they pay for themselves with "protect trade" in peacetime) so I control the Mediterranean. I don't have a lot of land in general and my army is pretty small. The Ottoman army is massive. I've managed to do well in a war by attacking them as they were in a war with Muscovy (they ended that pretty quick, sadly). On day one I landed troops on the provinces that connect the Middle East to Europe. Controlling at least one on each side plus the seaway has meant that I can just walk across while the horde of Ottomans has to walk the long way. So for the past (decade?) the Austrians and I have been occupying Constantinople and sieging down whichever side the Ottomans weren't on. Meanwhile, peasants and separatists keep rising up. The Ottoman's manpower is at 0, they seem to have a bunch of loans and they're bleeding out, basically. So things are going pretty well.

But! They still have a much, much larger army than me; Austria and Venice are both Low on war enthusiasm and I'm worried about Austria peacing out on me (they've done that before: negotiating for a separate peace loss in campaigns that we're clearly winning). It's an imperialist war, so provinces come cheap. Even when I'm super greedy on the sue for peace screen, the only people who might declare a Coalition against me are the Ottomans and what's left of the Mamluks. I have run up a 70% war score on them so I've got options but it's not total.

I have thought about:
- Taking Constantinople and the Alexandria Centers of Trade and just owning trade entirely in that arena to siphon off their income.
- Demanding 50% trade power transfer and 10% reparations to do the same.
- Taking Constantinople and surroundings for some trade benefits but mainly to set up 4 big forts so I can reproduce my crossing strategy much more easily next time.
- Taking lots of provinces for my allies.
- Releasing a bunch of places?
- White peace because I've read that this leaves them with higher unrest (I don't really know how this works) and let the peasants take them out?
- Pushing my luck and going for higher war score?

My goal here is to ultimately ruin the Ottomans. I don't need to rule them, I'm playing Venice as a tall trade empire. I don't really need money or land, we're doing very well in that regards. I just want to take them apart.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 9, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

doingitwrong posted:

Nailed it

1) Wipe out whatever army they have left
2) Occupy each and every single one of their provinces so they cannot recruit additional troops (you can leave rebel occupied provinces be for now but might have deal with them if they are close to enforcing demands other than separatists)
3) Spread your troops out and raid every single province until it hits 100% devastation, it will be worth it to hire as many cav as possible here because they raid much more effectively and basically pay for themselves

This takes a very long time so you might want to focus on their richest provinces and ignore any provinces you will take in the peace deal. Also remember to spam scorched earth everywhere as often as possible

If you keep your warscore under ~70% you wont get call for peace and can keep it up for decades forcing every possible separatist group to spawn and enforce their demands and leaving the ottos with a broken shell of a nation that wont function properly for most of a century afterwards, possibly even starting a deathspiral if there's a large Lucky Nation AI on their border

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

canepazzo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/6btb1o/a_guide_to_an_overpowered_austria_in_121/

Used this, revoked the privilegia around mid 1500s, PU over Great Britain (was Hungary/Bohemia too before inheriting), Von Habs on Spain/Commonwealth, France's no more.

Trip report on this guide since Austria’s starting position got a big nerf (smaller army and much less manpower) since it first came out: it is still doable but the first couple wars will be very high stress compared to how the guide presents it. The first war with Bohemia was a skin of the teeth thing and I spent basically the entire time before it building up my military as fast as possible.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

didn't austria go from like ~35k army at start to something tiny

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

It's 1740s and I'm playing Venice. I have a huge Navy (because you can have infinite Light ships since they pay for themselves with "protect trade" in peacetime) so I control the Mediterranean. I don't have a lot of land in general and my army is pretty small. The Ottoman army is massive. I've managed to do well in a war by attacking them as they were in a war with Muscovy (they ended that pretty quick, sadly). On day one I landed troops on the provinces that connect the Middle East to Europe. Controlling at least one on each side plus the seaway has meant that I can just walk across while the horde of Ottomans has to walk the long way. So for the past (decade?) the Austrians and I have been occupying Constantinople and sieging down whichever side the Ottomans weren't on. Meanwhile, peasants and separatists keep rising up. The Ottoman's manpower is at 0, they seem to have a bunch of loans and they're bleeding out, basically. So things are going pretty well.

But! They still have a much, much larger army than me; Austria and Venice are both Low on war enthusiasm and I'm worried about Austria peacing out on me (they've done that before: negotiating for a separate peace loss in campaigns that we're clearly winning). It's an imperialist war, so provinces come cheap. Even when I'm super greedy on the sue for peace screen, the only people who might declare a Coalition against me are the Ottomans and what's left of the Mamluks. I have run up a 70% war score on them so I've got options but it's not total.

I have thought about :
- Taking Constantinople and the Alexandria Centers of Trade and just owning trade entirely in that arena to siphon off their income.
- Demanding 50% trade power transfer and 10% reparations to do the same.
- Taking Constantinople and surroundings for some trade benefits but mainly to set up 4 big forts so I can reproduce my crossing strategy much more easily next time.
- Taking lots of provinces for my allies.
- Releasing a bunch of places?
- White peace because I've read that this leaves them with higher unrest (I don't really know how this works) and let the peasants take them out?
- Pushing my luck and going for higher war score?

My goal here is to ultimately ruin the Ottomans. I don't need to rule them, I'm playing Venice as a tall trade empire. I don't really need money or land, we're doing very well in that regards. I just want to take them apart.

Take any land connection chokepoints like Constantinople and somewhere in the Levant. If you don't give them military access the AI has a hard time moving troops by ships to stop rebels and will probably lose a bunch of land to separatists

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you can weaken the ottomans but they'll either come back after a couple years or get dunked on by the new super saiyan mamluks and then they'll be knocking on your door

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how's the reformation in everyone's games these days? I've been noticing that they don't get off the ground anymore, especially reformed; though that might just be RNG.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

didn't austria go from like ~35k army at start to something tiny

Yea. It’s not unsalvageable, you can still build up to about that size with a few loans which you will easily pay off because the Tirol mine is so good. You’re just low on manpower so if Bohemia gets a bit of luck in the first war things can get a bit dicey.

double nine posted:

how's the reformation in everyone's games these days? I've been noticing that they don't get off the ground anymore, especially reformed; though that might just be RNG.

Protestant seems fine, not super strong, not super weak. Reformed is probably bugged in some way though, they just never seem to last more than a couple years and have been wiped out well before the league war in all my games this patch.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

skasion posted:

Trip report on this guide since Austria’s starting position got a big nerf (smaller army and much less manpower) since it first came out: it is still doable but the first couple wars will be very high stress compared to how the guide presents it. The first war with Bohemia was a skin of the teeth thing and I spent basically the entire time before it building up my military as fast as possible.

I'm not totally sure preventing Shadow Kingdom is worth it either. If you let them secede you can take all those super-wealthy Italian provinces without the HRE AE penalty and dominate the Venice and Genoa nodes.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

double nine posted:

reformed is not showing up for me for the most part, you see a reformed OPM once in a blue moon

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Eldred posted:

I'm not totally sure preventing Shadow Kingdom is worth it either. If you let them secede you can take all those super-wealthy Italian provinces without the HRE AE penalty and dominate the Venice and Genoa nodes.

Yeah, this is what I normally do as Austria but if this dude’s strategy works I’m going to get insanely powerful anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Eldred posted:

His strat maxes IA so that you can Revoke the Privelagia faster. If you lose all those princes down in Italy it tanks your IA by quite a bit and makes it take longer to pass the reforms.

If you aren't trying to rush the vassal spam then letting Italy secede and taking all their delicious land is a completely viable tactic.