Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Nicehash internal -> coinbase -> gyft is working for me just fine. A good trickle of 15 dollar amazon cards a week is exactly what I'm looking for in my no effort minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I bought a geforce 1080 recently and installed it only to realized I want a 1080 TI to play the Witcher 3 at 4K. Can I mine with my old 1080 and pay for itself somehow after 3-6 months? I hate dealing with returns. Also, can I do the same thing with my 1080 TI to pay for itself, since I bought it just for the Witcher 3 and it will probably collect dust after I'm done?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just buy the ti and resell the 1080, you may eat a small loss but if you are going to mine with the 1080ti who cares.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

oliveoil posted:

I bought a geforce 1080 recently and installed it only to realized I want a 1080 TI to play the Witcher 3 at 4K. Can I mine with my old 1080 and pay for itself somehow after 3-6 months? I hate dealing with returns. Also, can I do the same thing with my 1080 TI to pay for itself, since I bought it just for the Witcher 3 and it will probably collect dust after I'm done?

You sure can if you have 2 slots

Pop the new ti in the main slot, move your 1080 to a secondary slot, start up your miner** and disable your main card and let the 2nd one go to work while you go laying virtual ladies in fantasy Eastern Europe

** here you’d normally start up nicehash but being as they were hacked mysteriously and also raised the amount it costs to cash out and started charging for deposits, I don’t like recommending them anymore. If you don’t want to do any research at all and mess with direct mining and so on, Nicehash is still the easiest to set up, just a couple buttons and press Go.

Edit: alternatively maybe you can just resell the 1080, possibly for more than you bought it for, seeing as everyone is crazy for crypto right now

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

oliveoil posted:

Right now a GTX 1080 optimised for max hashes per watt (slightly overclocked, limited to 60-65% TDP) will make you roughly $3.5 to $4 per day with WinMiner if you run it 24/7 (you won't, if you actually want to game on the computer sometimes). The GPU itself uses around 120-125W at those settings, and if the rest of your system is idling it'll use another 50-60W. Call that 180W, so that's 4.32 kWh per day. If your power costs $0.15 per kWh (no idea if it does, but that's what mine costs roughly speaking), you're paying $0.65 per day for power. Then WinMiner's and PayPal's respective transaction fees shave off around 5% of your actual payout. Then you probably need to pay capital gains tax on your earnings and I have no idea how that works where you live. You're looking more than half a year to pay it off if current earnings stay the same (and the bubble may pop at any moment).

MiningPoolHub will make maybe a dollar more per day but is a bit more effort to set up and may be far harder to cash out from depending on where you live, because you'll have to actually transfer your cryptocurrency of choice to an exchange, sell it and then transfer it to your bank account without getting scammed by anyone in the process.

tl;dr: just return it or sell it on ebay or whatever

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I can't even source AMD cards right now in :canada: RX580s are $400 USD, RX570s are $330, and 14CU RX560s are $130 LOL

quote:

Video Card Shortage
Due to a world wide shortage, multiple price increases have been issued by the manufacturers. We are in critical low supply of cards, and do not see many cards coming in the near future. We are working hard to obtain as many cards as possible at any price.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

I can't even source AMD cards right now in :canada: RX580s are $400 USD, RX570s are $330, and 14CU RX560s are $130 LOL

I’m sorry but my virtual coins are very important

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Im visiting my parents and had to explain what bitcoin mining was to my mom and she very pointedly asked "why don't you have more computer motherboards then (gpus)" then i tried to explain how that was a risk and she bought me a corsair 1080ti hydro on the spot and said "pay me 300 a month until its paid off and then its yours to keep"

I just got hustled by my mom who doesn't know the difference between a gpu and motherboard

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

Im visiting my parents and had to explain what bitcoin mining was to my mom and she very pointedly asked "why don't you have more computer motherboards then (gpus)" then i tried to explain how that was a risk and she bought me a corsair 1080ti hydro on the spot and said "pay me 300 a month until its paid off and then its yours to keep"

I just got hustled by my mom who doesn't know the difference between a gpu and motherboard

Is your mom single

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1gnoirents posted:

i honestly can't tell who hustled who in this situation, but this explains a lot about your posting itt

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

The saga of your posts in this thread are some BFC zaurg level stuff :magical:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I snagged 2 580 8gb nitros this weekend for actual real MSRP. Looks like im well on my way to a berry drying rig

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
WinMiner profits have been much higher in the past 5 days, around $25/day when it was 18-20 before. Have coins all gone up that much in general?

Everything said and done and all fees taken, I think WinMiner to Amazon might be as good as NiceHash>CoinBase>Gyft>Amazon. Especially since it is less steps to cash out and somehow I can still game watch YouTube while running WinMiner which was impossible with NiceHash.

Edit: Plus, with multiple PCs, WinMiner lets you monitor them all from one webpage and even reboot them from the same GUI (this requires running WinMiner as Admin, so don't do that on your main PC, but I guess it's safe for dedicated rigs).

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 8, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, things have been crazy on MPH, too.

If you really want to use Nicehash for some reason, and don't want it to render your computer entirely inoperable while running, use the Legacy 1.8.x versions and use the --intensity=x flags for each of the miners (and disable EWBF because that one ignores the flag).

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i honestly can't tell who hustled who in this situation, but this explains a lot about your posting itt

Lol the kicker is all the payments back to her will be placed into...

Drumroll please

My "wedding fund".

Therefore my mother learned the basic mechanics of something i was involved with in about 5 minutes. Then she masterfully converted that information into a plan that would apply maximum guilt to get married while still providing tangible benefits to all parties.

Amazing

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

Lol the kicker is all the payments back to her will be placed into...

Drumroll please

My "wedding fund".

Therefore my mother learned the basic mechanics of something i was involved with in about 5 minutes. Then she masterfully converted that information into a plan that would apply maximum guilt to get married while still providing tangible benefits to all parties.

Amazing

Swell lady. Give her the ebook version of divabot’s book to read

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Motherboard looking for a daughterboard.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm making 12 no wait 8 no wait 10 no wait AGGGHHH dollars per day. but the holidays were a time for everyone to ask me about bitcoins and I said they're just a way to lose money slowly. I haven't had a single card I've bought pay for itself, but I'm just using them because I already have them. Anyone asking about them almost certainly doesn't already have the hardware laying around. 120 dollars for free is great, 120 dollars against putting in 700 dollars in is real bad.

So far the guidance I can think of for people wanting to use their hardware now seems to be look at Whattomine and subtract about 30% for the mystery of Winminer skimming, the trade off being that you get Paypal money and don't have to deal with any exchanges or gift services. Power usage seems a lot more "polite" than Nicehash or mining directly so the only way to get good power costs seems to be buying a meter, or assume TDPs are worst case and not normal use, that'll get you at least within the range of your power use. I have 13 dollars after 1.5 days mining with a 1080 and a 980, payout at 20 dollars.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Winmining $5.60/day with a 8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V / 38W and a GTX 1070 1721core/9000mem @ 0.8V / 107W

I'm back in the game baby

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

CoinbaseNicehash just made a 0.01 payout to me on my previous external address fyi to others

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 9, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

1gnoirents posted:

Coinbase just made a 0.01 payout to me on my previous external address fyi to others

Same.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Wow I was tired when I posted that, I meant Nicehash of course

Also been holding a rate of $30 a day on a 1080ti and 1080 for hours. Its getting so high Im starting to feel uncomfortable lol

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Things are back to where they were back in June which is wild, pretty much the last thing I expected to happen.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Things are back to where they were back in June which is wild, pretty much the last thing I expected to happen.

That's BitCoin Baby!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
just cashed out 2/3rds of my stash

if i were braver i'd use most of it to short btc but there's no way to do that without dealing with the sketchiest of websites.

still holding monero because i bought in at like 11 bucks or something so lol

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
It was claiming 10 a day on the 1080 for a few minutes and it's now back to 6. Better than the 2 a day that it used to be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Someone probably put in an order for a certain amount of hashing power at 20% higher than the market rate for some reason. Probably laundering.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kazinsal posted:

Someone probably put in an order for a certain amount of hashing power at 20% higher than the market rate for some reason. Probably laundering.

well like 90% of nicehash buyers are laundering money, someone just wanted to export cash faster than usual.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the common technique now for a single 1070? The pool I was using for Vertcoin One-Click Miner looks to be down. I could switch to another but maybe there's a better method. My friend said to do MiningPoolHub and do the Equihash coins.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

KingKapalone posted:

What's the common technique now for a single 1070? The pool I was using for Vertcoin One-Click Miner looks to be down. I could switch to another but maybe there's a better method. My friend said to do MiningPoolHub and do the Equihash coins.

I'm using miningpoolhub right now and it seems OK. I havent cashed out yet but the auto balance thing seems to work fine(it automatically trades whatever crypto you're mining into the type you want to get paid with. Amount earned seems about right with my 980ti.

I was waiting til I got $100 in before I cashed out. should be another week or so before I'm there.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't trust any of these loving places, so i have it automatically cash out to an offline ltc wallet every :10bux: worth or so

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I've never cared to get into cryptocurrency but as the "You know computers, right?" guy at my work I figure I better do something resembling due diligence.

My boss has bought a mining rig (no idea what kind, if that matters) and plans to plug it into our company network so he can run it without disturbing his baby at home.

Power/power cost isn't an issue - we sub-lease a space from a company that runs an automated recycling machine that can be reasonably measured in thousands of cubic meters in the same building so the increase in draw from a single rig is nothing.

However 4 proprietary/custom terminals we bought through the public company that oversees our industry are plugged into this same network. Those 4 terminals run custom Point of Sale software the public company developed for our industry which contains a lot of our company's raw data. That POS software is also connected at all times to the database at the public company.

I'm sure there's encryption and poo poo throughout our network, the terminals, the public company's database but despite assurances that he did his research I still feel like I better start asking around. Is it a good/bad/doesn't matter idea to have a mining rig connected to the same network as that kind of setup?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
So I haven’t mined on my 1080ti since last summer.

Before it was nice hash -> external coin base wallet and then sell.

Now is the correct thing nicehash -> internal wallet -> coinbase wallet and then sell.

Do this sound right? I heard there were issues selling once it got to coinbase.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kibayasu posted:

So I've never cared to get into cryptocurrency but as the "You know computers, right?" guy at my work I figure I better do something resembling due diligence.

My boss has bought a mining rig (no idea what kind, if that matters) and plans to plug it into our company network so he can run it without disturbing his baby at home.

Power/power cost isn't an issue - we sub-lease a space from a company that runs an automated recycling machine that can be reasonably measured in thousands of cubic meters in the same building so the increase in draw from a single rig is nothing.

However 4 proprietary/custom terminals we bought through the public company that oversees our industry are plugged into this same network. Those 4 terminals run custom Point of Sale software the public company developed for our industry which contains a lot of our company's raw data. That POS software is also connected at all times to the database at the public company.

I'm sure there's encryption and poo poo throughout our network, the terminals, the public company's database but despite assurances that he did his research I still feel like I better start asking around. Is it a good/bad/doesn't matter idea to have a mining rig connected to the same network as that kind of setup?

It's not the world's best idea, but on the other hand nobody here has been cryptolockered yet or anything like that. And you should have backups of anything that's business critical, of course.

My recommendation would be to look at your router and figure out how to get it to put the mining rig on a separate VLAN - sometimes named a "guest network" or something like that. Then it can't see anything else on your network.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

To mine, he is probably running an admin-level executable like NiceHash on his rig. There is no way to know for sure what information these programs are sending or how updates might affect them, and they are programmed by convicted criminals.

At a minimum, mine on a dedicated PC and implement network isolation at the router level so it can't communicate with anything else on the LAN.

He's your boss, but if he's not the CEO he probably doesn't have a right. For example he could be raising the company's electric bill or at least causing more wear and tear on the air conditioning system to counter his increase in heating. Probably not a big deal but if anyone at work isn't cool with that, a lawyer could gently caress his poo poo up good.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm selling an RX580 and forgot to restrict it to US shipping now the top bidder is someone in Russia whose account name is just a long number and has zero feedback :lol: This same RX580 was sold before and the last person returned it after two months without opening the box, if it's returned again I'll probably just give up and use it for mining.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 10, 2018

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

B-Mac posted:

So I haven’t mined on my 1080ti since last summer.

Before it was nice hash -> external coin base wallet and then sell.

Now is the correct thing nicehash -> internal wallet -> coinbase wallet and then sell.

Do this sound right? I heard there were issues selling once it got to coinbase.

Yes. I've never had issues selling from coinbase, though. I convert directly from their bitcoin/eth/ltc wallet to my bank account and it shows up within a day. The only lovely stories I've seen about coinbase were from people transferring tens of thousands of dollars at once.

If you're outside the US then you probably have to jump through different hoops, i guess. I know some countries can't cash out from coinbase.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kibayasu posted:

you're asking if it's a good idea to run a mining rig on the same network as a machine with every customer name, credit card number and transaction that goes through your company

holy poo poo what the gently caress

a million, billion times no, how are you in charge of this

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

Do not connect the miner to your business network :ducksiren:

However if your boss owns the business, advise them to get a LTE modem and like a 10-20 gig monthly plan for the miner. The miners themselves use basically no data whatsoever. I'm seeing < 150mb usage for the past month on my dedicated boxes.

MaxxBot posted:

I'm selling an RX580 and forgot to restrict it to US shipping now the top bidder is someone in Russia whose account name is just a long number and has zero feedback :lol: This same RX580 was sold before and the last person returned it after two months without opening the box, if it's returned again I'll probably just give up and use it for mining.

I would've bought it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

yeah dude just sell it here

my rx580 was doing 12.90 a day for a solid 3 hours today. wtf man

• Locked thread