Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah it's sad to see it end but I don't think it overstayed. Also one of the better voice acted ones as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Wolf 359 has come to an end. The ending was pretty much perfect, as far as I’m concerned. Can’t wait to see what those guys come up with next.

Oh man I had no idea this episode was the last one; it felt like we were still two or three away from it. Very excited to listen to it now.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Arrhythmia posted:

Oh man I had no idea this episode was the last one; it felt like we were still two or three away from it. Very excited to listen to it now.

It basically is two or three episodes, since it’s over two hours long. It’s juat a tradition for seasons to end on Christmas Day.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Jurgan posted:

Wolf 359 has come to an end. The ending was pretty much perfect, as far as I’m concerned. Can’t wait to see what those guys come up with next.

Oh man. It's so strange to catch the end of something I've been listening to for so long. I genuinely enjoyed it more than I ever expected, and cried more than once during this episode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone bothered to decipher the ars paradoxica number station messages? I'm going back through since I forgot what was going on and there's an episode that says they're a code giving more plot but I am bad at ARG things so gently caress doing it myself

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Len posted:

Has anyone bothered to decipher the ars paradoxica number station messages? I'm going back through since I forgot what was going on and there's an episode that says they're a code giving more plot but I am bad at ARG things so gently caress doing it myself

This link has the solutions for up to episode 20, plus the way to solve blue, red, and green codes that you can run through this site. I don't think there's much they add, but there we are.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

In the last two weeks I've listened to 80 episodes of The Magnus Archives, and it's started seeping into my dreams.

TMA owns.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

cptn_dr posted:

In the last two weeks I've listened to 80 episodes of The Magnus Archives, and it's started seeping into my dreams.

TMA owns.

I got a coworker listening and she's devouring it. It was funny early on when I'd get emails like "omg you don't get to find out what X is" or "what happened to so-and-so?!" Now she's just along for the ride.

Also, this entire season has been on loving point. Every episode this season has been phenomenal in my opinion. These guys deserve to win some awards soon..

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The opener for season 3 was one of the best ones I've listened to yet.

Especially since I was listening to it as I climbed the very spooky and quite cobwebby stairs from the bottom level of my office building while listening to it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
There's a new episode of The White Vault out. I'm fairly taken with the series, overall.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I feel like a rube for listening to all of within the wires season 2 hoping it got better. What a drop in quality.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kerbtree posted:

There's a new episode of The White Vault out. I'm fairly taken with the series, overall.

Listened to the first three episodes and I'm liking it.

However... Is that the No Sleep guy doing the voice for the grizzled guide character?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

Listened to the first three episodes and I'm liking it.

However... Is that the No Sleep guy doing the voice for the grizzled guide character?

Probably. I heard about The White Vault on No Sleep and he has a distinct awful voice

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
He's the only thing I've disliked so far about it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Catching up on Magnus Archives. Now on episode 85.

Who is The Stranger again?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Catching up on Magnus Archives. Now on episode 85.

Who is The Stranger again?

The Stranger is one of the Powers/Entities that appear to be behind most of the spooky happenings and were discussed explicitly in episode 80. It's the one behind the Not-Them (Not-Graham, Not-Sasha, etc), as well as probably the the circus, the taxidermy shop, and the medical students that were learning how to pretend to be human, and generally has to do with things that "aren't human, but pretending to be" or generally "aren't quite right". It is attempting to do something called The Unknowing, which sounds like a bad thing.

It seems to be strongly opposed to The Beholding, which is the Power behind the Archives.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 12, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone else think Bright Sessions has kind of gone downhill since the jailbreak episodes?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Len posted:

Does anyone else think Bright Sessions has kind of gone downhill since the jailbreak episodes?

Nope.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's not bad just feels like it's floundering I guess. There's not as many slice of life episodes and a lot more about a plot that doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. I'm going to keep listening but I hope something happens soon

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've given up on all serialized podcasts except for Magnus.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I am loving TMA for the story but it's not spooking me that much. Finding out ~it's all connected~ ruined it a little. Things are scarier when there's no explanation. Oh well, it's still super good.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Another flowchart to help connect all of the Magnus Archives threads

https://imgur.com/a/tb2rz

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

One day I'm gonna get a corkboard and some red string and make a Magnus Chart of my own.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
People making evidence dungeon boards about the evidence dungeon board podcast is EXTREMELY my poo poo.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

cptn_dr posted:

One day I'm gonna get a corkboard and some red string and make a Magnus Chart of my own.

When you do, post pictures.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

I am loving TMA for the story but it's not spooking me that much. Finding out ~it's all connected~ ruined it a little. Things are scarier when there's no explanation. Oh well, it's still super good.

I agree. I still love it but it's going downhill for me, and unfortunately pretty fast.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was another "lore" TMA episode this week. I feel like it's fracturing into two separate podcasts and it's impressive in its ambition and even execution but it's losing me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It was another "lore" TMA episode this week. I feel like it's fracturing into two separate podcasts and it's impressive in its ambition and even execution but it's losing me.

Yeah. Spontaneous spookiness is where it's at with TMA but this isn't all that scary though I guess its interesting on its own if you like that kind of thing. I hope they find more mysteries once they're finished with this storyline.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

Yeah. Spontaneous spookiness is where it's at with TMA but this isn't all that scary though I guess its interesting on its own if you like that kind of thing. I hope they find more mysteries once they're finished with this storyline.

It's literally the same thing The X-Files did and I know some people loved it, I didn't.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love it so much.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I love it so much.

I hate that I hate it so much because I can acknowledge its brilliance for what it is but agh.

Also Knifepoint Horror has some spectacular eps but it updates so infrequently and some of the episodes are so utterly bloated. The latest episode in particular I found myself going "Where is this going?" And not in the good way.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It's me, I'm the target audience. I love the convoluted meta plot. I love seeing it all tie together into one massive messy whole. Because the horror is still there, and I'm more than happy to sacrifice the occasional episode on the altar of plot. Because every other week is still a great little horror story.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cptn_dr posted:

It's me, I'm the target audience. I love the convoluted meta plot. I love seeing it all tie together into one massive messy whole. Because the horror is still there, and I'm more than happy to sacrifice the occasional episode on the altar of plot. Because every other week is still a great little horror story.

I'm just super into interconnected stuff like all of this tbh.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

But to me it feels like more than every other week because even most of the creepy stories are connected now. They were so much creepier before. Like everything related to The Bone Turner's Tale or hell, Leitner in general, isn't scary at all anymore IMO.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

cptn_dr posted:

I'm right there with you. I recently caught my wife up and we had a good 30 minute car ride exchanging theories about what's really going on and how everything is connected. I'm super excited with the current direction of the show.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But to me it feels like more than every other week because even most of the creepy stories are connected now. They were so much creepier before. Like everything related to The Bone Turner's Tale or hell, Leitner in general, isn't scary at all anymore IMO.

Same. I've been burned out on ~fan theories~ and whatnot since :lost: screwed the pooch. The explanations for the spooky poo poo are always so lame and the theories are always wrong and the writers regardless of the show always say "well it wasn't about the mystery it was about the characters and their journey."

I can understand wanting to explain some of it because that can lead to deeper horror but listening to each separate story is a bit of a cringefest now because I'm wondering which Lovecraft monster they're going to attach this monster to, like its an assembly line and they're mechanically filling in the blanks. Apparently The Stranger is responsible for like 75% of the happenings in the show which is disappointing, because what are they going to do once they've tied off that storyline?

The bit with Daisy and Elias was actually interesting because it wasn't about The Stranger for once.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I don't really understand how people find "Hey, you know all those stories with thematic connections? Well, they actually have narrative connections as well" is disappointing rather than obvious.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, just want to let you guys know that because of the chatter about the Magnus Archives in here I listened to an episode this morning while walking my dog, and between the spooky ambience of the story and the freezing cold winter hell I was walking in, I got really freaked out.

I'm still back on episode nine so I don't know about story stuff, but jeeeeez it's good horror!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't really understand how people find "Hey, you know all those stories with thematic connections? Well, they actually have narrative connections as well" is disappointing rather than obvious.

Because listening to people cataloging discoveries is boring and esoteric. Maybe I'm sensitive to it because I have 15 years of library work on my resume but I don't like listening to supernatural podcasts just to have the doldrums repeated back at me when I deal with those in my day to day life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They're writing three books for the Bright Sessions one about cute couple Caleb/Adam, one for horrible Bad Guy Damien, and one about worst character Rose.

Edit: Oh it's about Damien when he's 18. So when he's got even more angst but hasn't almost murdered anyone yet.

Len fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 2, 2018