Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did not splat her. I did not. It's bullsquid! I did noooooooot- oh, hi Pearl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Zeruel posted:

"I SAW YOU HANGING OUT WITH MARIE"
"PEARL IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK! "

Seems unlikely.

https://twitter.com/inkuuusan/status/883175185804873728

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So the true effect of drink tickets finally got datamined. Basically when a gear levels up, if the ability in question doesn't match the drink ticket's ability, it gets rerolled once to give you another chance at that ability. Otherwise the ability is left alone.

Chances to roll for a particular ability are the same as in Splatoon 1. (1/14 for each ability on a neutral brand, 2/7 for favored abilities, 1/35 for unfavored abilities, and 2/35 for all other abilities.)

So the chances for getting a specific ability are as follows:

quote:

Neutral Gear: 7.14% with no ticket. 13.78% with a ticket active, making for a 6.64% increase.
Favored Brand: 28.57% with no ticket. 48.98% with a ticket active, making for a 20.41% increase.
Unfavored Brand: 2.86% with no ticket. 5.63% with a ticket active, making for a 2.77% increase.
Else: 5.71% with no ticket. 11.10% with a ticket active, making for a 5.39% increase.

So yes, you should be stacking drink tickets with the matching brand if you want to go chunk farming. Or go for the abilities you want.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Welp, I now own two new shirts. Got the Splatoon one and one for hollow knight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They said movies AND TV, and I've been watching a ton of Frasier lately, so the choice is obvious.

I wish I could draw. And come up with a good Frasier joke.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Inescapable Duck posted:

They said movies AND TV, and I've been watching a ton of Frasier lately, so the choice is obvious.

I wish I could draw. And come up with a good Frasier joke.

Something about tossed salads

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Chinook posted:

Something about tossed salads

Tossed squids and scrambled kids

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I could work in something with Mr Grizz, but I need to see that one episode where Frasier and Niles accidentally become black market caviar dealers.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

For what it's worth, drawing on the Switch is a tremendous pain in the rear end, even if you have one of those "precision styluses" for touch displays. The amount of times it just draws a random line all the way across the screen because I looked at it funny is way too high. Add that to only having a single undo step, no layers, etc etc and you're in for a bad time.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What is the current meta lately? Still seeing a lot of rollers and ballers still.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

^burtle posted:

What is the current meta lately? Still seeing a lot of rollers and ballers still.

In solo queue? Probably anything, but you might be seeing more N-Zaps than usual.

In competitive, N-Zap 85 took over the Splattershot's role as a jack of all trades weapon, so it's one of the more popular weapons there. But it's starting to fall off in favor of the Splattershot Forge Pro in Japan. Because people have discovered how absolutely bonkers Bubble Blower is at the moment. Oh and they realized that popping bubbles as soon as possible is not something you want to be doing. The power of an unpopped bubble is really big, since the enemy team has no idea what you want to do with them, and them just being out in the map denies a ton of area to them. And you can hide in them to use them as a shield if you want.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Holy poo poo, I got to S+ rank.

Oh god, now I have to play S+ rank. o_o

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm not proud of myself.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/950994731051270144

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GS_standard/status/951259321848877058

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Hahahahahahahahaha

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mutant Standard posted:

Holy poo poo, I got to S+ rank.

Oh god, now I have to play S+ rank. o_o

If you're anything like me, you won't have to for long!

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!

https://twitter.com/icenexx/status/951305500771074048

Same failure from another angle.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/951300975318384641

Sheldondorf is out tormorrow. Dropped right before a Splatfest, sure.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guysss I'm a 95/99 Profreshional oh my gooooooddddd.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/951300975318384641

Sheldondorf is out tormorrow. Dropped right before a Splatfest, sure.

That looks like a really fun stage

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• US/AU/NZ Friday January 12th @ 8:00 PT / Saturday January 13th @ 3:00 AEST
  • JP Saturday January 13th @ 15:00 JT
  • EU Saturday January 13th @ 13:00 CET
All regional Splatfests last for 24 hours. Final result will be announced sometime around January 14th @ 5:00 PT / 14:00 CET / January 15th @ 0:00 AEST

Are Jackie Chan movies more action or comedy?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• US/AU/NZ Friday January 12th @ 8:00 PT / Saturday January 13th @ 3:00 AEST
  • JP Saturday January 13th @ 15:00 JT
  • EU Saturday January 13th @ 13:00 CET
All regional Splatfests last for 24 hours. Final result will be announced sometime around January 14th @ 5:00 PT / 14:00 CET / January 15th @ 0:00 AEST

Marina's looking less "comedy" and more "A Clockwork Orange". She's into dark comedies, isn't she?... :ohdear:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rexroom posted:

If it's Hong Kong Jackie, kinda both. If it's Hollywood Jackie, action.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Marina's looking less "comedy" and more "A Clockwork Orange". She's into dark comedies, isn't she?... :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I am well aware of Charlie Chaplin, however being dressed in white and with eyeshadow and a bowler hat...

Also, it was a joke.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Rexroom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The fate of all who squid party

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spengo/status/951485530826407936

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well I doubt Hammerhead Bridge is coming back, because Sheldondorf pretty much is Hammerhead Bridge.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
good, death to hammerhead bridge. It was too easy to pin a team at that first box.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
If you really care about the Canonical Splatoon Lore™ , it wouldn't make sense for that bridge to still be under construction two years later, unless there was some kind of recession. :goonsay:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh what kind of gear should I be going for? I never know what gear is good, and I don't know what I want besides obvs Ninja Squid Coat with 3 swim speed Ups

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

https://loadout.ink/ is good for experimenting with combinations to see the exact effects. I keep bouncing around different abilities, but one consistently useful ability is Ink Saver Main (mostly cause I suck at watching my ink meter).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Ugh what kind of gear should I be going for? I never know what gear is good, and I don't know what I want besides obvs Ninja Squid Coat with 3 swim speed Ups

Early on? Don't worry about it too much. It won't make a difference as you're learning the game. Later on as you face better players, it's going to depend on the kit you're using. There's not really a "one size fits all" sort of thing when it comes to gear loadouts. For example, long range weapons will get extremely little use out of Ninja Squid (Why sneak up on people when you can just shoot them from a distance?), where close range weapons would benefit from it more.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

i've asked this question a lot in the beginning and I always got some sort of non answer "what do YOU want?" so now that i'm on the other side i'm going to try to actually answer this:

pretty loving good all the time tier:

swim speed up: it's great for everybody, really, and for a lot of builds you should consider at least 10 or 12 points worth of the stuff.

ink resistance up: not having this ability and getting stuck in ink is pretty much a death sentence for you. unless you have extremely good positioning skills and map awareness, or have a kit where getting stuck in ink isn't that much of an issue (ie dualies), you'll want this ability.

special charge up: specials such as splashdown, stingray, and the bubble wand are pretty loving nuts right now and getting access to them sooner is extremely significant. NOTE: This ability has massive diminishing returns and you shouldn't go beyond a main and three subs worth of the stuff.

pretty drat good a lot of the time tier:

ink saver up (sub): you'll find that you'll be engaging in combat by throwing your sub and then firing upon the enemy, this'll let you keep more ink when you fire on the enemy and also will aid your spamming. NOTE: This ability is pretty loving awful for burst bomb kits unless you are trying for triple burst bombs (which requires something crazy like two mains and six subs worth of the stuff.)

special saver: I find it to be an underdog ability, it's pretty potent, a single main of the stuff will increase the amount of special saved from 50% to 61%. and I know that the esports athletes say "you shouldn't plan on dying" but c'mon we've all died with a 100% special charge and wished we had something to rebound from the team wipe.

mostly everything else is situational, based on what kits you're using. Ink Recovery Up sounds good on paper, but every sub weapon will stun your ink recovery differently so a lot of the time you're better off using ink efficiency. Special Power Up effects every special differently from significantly increasing the duration of the stingray (which is significant) to increasing the crosshair on your squid missles (which is... less significant.) Run Speed Up is very potent on some weapons, while completely worthless on others. i could go in depth but it's late and i gotta sleep

also respawn punisher is worthless

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 12, 2018

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I just got this game a week or two ago and it's fun as hell but boy do I suck at it! Just spent a couple hours dying forever at salmon run and I can't tell if it's because I'm terrible or everyone else is or both, but it makes me use different weapons than I would normally so that's kinda cool

Do I need to/am I expected to go through the single player story thing or can I not and still be okay?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

if you want to build decent gear quick you should familiarize yourself with the gear brands and what abilities are common with them, and do salmon runs to collect food tickets and chunks:

like when I was trying to quickly build gear, what I found was useful was collecting a bunch of krak-on gear that had main abilities I wanted and then used a swim speed up drink on them. so then very quickly I was getting gear that had at least two subs of swim speed up, then I would spend 10 chunks to replace the odd sub ability with the ability shared by the gear's main ability. i'm sorry if reading that gave you a migraine.

edit: oh yeah and I should note that ninja squid actually doesn't completely hide you: the "trail" that you leave behind in the ink is still visible and it's honestly pretty easy to notice. you can swim stealthy without the ability by just moving slower. .

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 12, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/951739825194872832

I hope you're ready for invisible paths this Splatfest!

I am now dreading the day where the giant Squee-Gees become a Splatfest gimmick.

someone awful. posted:

I just got this game a week or two ago and it's fun as hell but boy do I suck at it! Just spent a couple hours dying forever at salmon run and I can't tell if it's because I'm terrible or everyone else is or both, but it makes me use different weapons than I would normally so that's kinda cool

Do I need to/am I expected to go through the single player story thing or can I not and still be okay?

If you aren't familiar with Splatoon, the single player can give you a handle on the mechanics.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

someone awful. posted:

The single player is genuinely good and gets you at least acquainted with every weapon type available. I can't recommend it enough.

This may be just me, but before I take a new weapon type into multiplayer I like to play through the single player with it, just to get a handle on it without pissing off other people by being completely terrible at it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/951742871295557632

Dapple Noveau is our weapon of the week. Comes with Toxic Mist and Ink Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dapple Nouveau is our weapon of the week. Comes with Toxic Mist and Ink Storm. :smug: