Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Your whole life is just a play and the sets just change over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'll help that rando stuff if you post exactly what you need

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Went to sleep during Halo last night--what was good overnight? Anything a must watch?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Went to sleep during Halo last night--what was good overnight? Anything a must watch?

El Matador is a must-watch, some other good ones include Serious Sam 3 and Burnout.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

I'll help that rando stuff if you post exactly what you need

I'll send you a PM with all the terms I still need to define. Abraxas was kind enough to send some hella good resources via PM too

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

You need to go watch el matador as soon as you've got the 20 minutes or so required. Serious sam 3 was alright (not as amusing and longer), burnout is great to throw on in the background, though if you enjoy watching that type of gameplay it is really solid.

The LTTP rando announcers have been pretty good at explaining short-hand from what I've watched. Any of those phrases I don't recognize from your list on the last page I haven't heard used. I think the biggest thing would be to make sure the explanations of what items they need, or are looking for in order to do stuff are well covered. "This runner needs fire rod to access the skull woods boss to get his last crystal" is better info than just talking about what locations he is going to.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

tyblazitar posted:

El Matador is a must-watch, some other good ones include Serious Sam 3 and Burnout.
Serious Sam 3 was good and fun.

"This speedrun is brought to you by the letter A."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

tyblazitar posted:

ZypherIM posted:

You need to go watch el matador as soon as you've got the 20 minutes or so required. Serious sam 3 was alright (not as amusing and longer), burnout is great to throw on in the background, though if you enjoy watching that type of gameplay it is really solid.

cheers

also c'mon BoSteed it's "RYE-star" not "Rihh-Star"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ZypherIM posted:

The LTTP rando announcers have been pretty good at explaining short-hand from what I've watched. Any of those phrases I don't recognize from your list on the last page I haven't heard used. I think the biggest thing would be to make sure the explanations of what items they need, or are looking for in order to do stuff are well covered. "This runner needs fire rod to access the skull woods boss to get his last crystal" is better info than just talking about what locations he is going to.

Very true. A lot of that is run-specific which makes it hard to define like that, but I'm sure some of my current entries could be fleshed out more. It may also be worth adding pages on simple things like "fire rod" so we can define what it's needed for, where it can't be, stuff like that. Check out the terms I've already added and see if you can think of any useful info like that to add to any of them! http://randoguide.com/glossary

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'd promise you anything all the announcers for lttp rando will be announcing it as though it's everyone's first time watching. They're not dummies!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

I'd promise you anything all the announcers for lttp rando will be announcing it as though it's everyone's first time watching. They're not dummies!

For sure they will, but if people like the run and decide they want to get into it beyond AGDQ, maybe this'll help them?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

For sure! I was skeptical I rando when it was first (poorly) explained to me in the speedrun thread, then someone posted an excellent race to watch as a first-timer and I was hooked.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I don't actually know LTTP well enough to cover what exactly is unlocked by what, sadly. It is tough trying to cover a randomizer in general, and a race is even harder so I'm always impressed. I only mentioned it because sometimes it can be easy to just be listing a play-by-play, which is fine for people who already are familiar with the run but not so much when you're less familiar.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/princessproto/status/950705042809610242

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Awesome. I've seen Dynamite Headdy and Rayman plenty of times before but I never actually had a chance to see Ristar played in any shape or form.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Time for best non-Sonic Sonic Team games.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
someone get that girl on the couch another 2 mics at least

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ramos posted:

Awesome. I've seen Dynamite Headdy and Rayman plenty of times before but I never actually had a chance to see Ristar played in any shape or form.

it's super fun

Ristar, Pulseman and Sonic 3 are the holy trinity of good genesis platformers imo

oh gently caress also Gunstar Heroes

holy foursome then

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

tyblazitar posted:

They've adjusted, she's audible.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Riho? Not quite the Playstation 2 all star, Riho Futaba.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Please let the runs an hour from now when I get home suck so I can see this El matador thing y'all keep talking bout

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

tyblazitar posted:

I'm sorry the Donkey Kong Country people ate all the mics.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Waffles Inc. posted:

it's super fun

Ristar, Pulseman and Sonic 3 are the holy trinity of good genesis platformers imo

oh gently caress also Gunstar Heroes

holy foursome then

Chester Cheetah Wild Wild Quest

5some

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh cool they're playing starfy

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Uh excuse me it's Stafy.
:goonsay:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

oh cool they're playing starfy

Unironically waiting for the Starfy series relay race in a marathon.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
It's a good morning for a cup of black coffee and a bowl of cream of wheat

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
thanks to whoever in this thread was talking about Domino's wings the other day, just ordered some Domino's and had to add wings to my order to try them out (not usually a big wings person)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cory in the Blouse posted:

It's a good morning for a cup of black coffee and a bowl of cream of wheat

this but grape nuts

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I caught some of the sonic block yesterday, was the megaman block worth tuning into and are there any other VODs I should check out from yesterday?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

tyblazitar posted:

thanks to whoever in this thread was talking about Domino's wings the other day, just ordered some Domino's and had to add wings to my order to try them out (not usually a big wings person)

It was me and their wings are good, welcome to the club brother :hfive:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's good that they have a four hour boring block in the middle of the day today so we can catch up on fun runs and get other things done.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The race was super close.

It was typical megaman where if you like the games you'll enjoy the runs but if you're not really interested it's good background noise.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I caught some of the sonic block yesterday, was the megaman block worth tuning into and are there any other VODs I should check out from yesterday?

MGS1 is a must watch. Most of the morning runs yesterday were at least pretty good with Aladdin as a stand out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

You missed out on the entirety of the thread poo poo posting during X4.

Otherwise, El Matador, as usual, is what I recommend.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Unironically waiting for the Starfy series relay race in a marathon.

For everybody familiar with this topic: I never really cared about it, but I wonder if the abandoned this tradition because of the ongoing, horrendous sjw movement. What do you think?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

The MMX race is fun to watch just for BigJon and Caleb on the couch... I'm also still pretty convinced that Caleb was high as fuk when he was commentating that race.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Your Computer posted:

For everybody familiar with this topic: I never really cared about it, but I wonder if the abandoned this tradition because of the ongoing, horrendous sjw movement. What do you think?

The only people who wanted the Relay were unsubbed people who now can't ask for it in Twitch chat with racist memes.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

It was me and their wings are good, welcome to the club brother :hfive:

thanks, can't wait to verify that claim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Oh its the Japanese ver. since they have the easier music mid boss

• Locked thread