Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Receiving the January patch now :a2m:

WTF job are y'all doing that y'all can spend 7 hours on the phone?

my boss was on vacation

there was nothing much to do really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

"Google Pay" is the new branding for payments - Wallet and Android Pay and whatever stuff in Chrome is all now just Google Pay.

https://blog.google/topics/shopping-payments/announcing-google-pay/

Also, you can get $5 off your movie tickets when you pay with Google Pay and put code GOOGLEPAY2018 in the Fandango app.

They really can't decide on a goddamn name.

At least this one doesn't sound stupid and doesn't have the loving awful android mascot as it's logo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Hey if anyone has a Chase Freedom card, this month is 5% cashback on any Google/Android Pay/Wallet purchases *also Apple Pay, but you can easily hit $1500 in three months on groceries and regular purchases.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

On this generation of phones how important are tempered glass screen protectors?

I'm of the persuasion that it won't actually protect against drops but will help from not getting the screen all scratched up over time. I've seen little reason not to get one, honestly.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

gently caress do you think?

I doubt it, just joshing :q:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

"Google Pay" is the new branding for payments - Wallet and Android Pay and whatever stuff in Chrome is all now just Google Pay.

https://blog.google/topics/shopping-payments/announcing-google-pay/

The exact opposite of what you just said posted:

Uh ... These choices are reassuring me that Google has absolute confidence in their ability to provide useful, dependable products and services. When we deliver a product, we launch it when it's good and ready, and our customers can count on us to support it for the long term.

...oh, and we absolutely have a creative design process and a unique, imaginative vision of our own, as proven by [unintelligible static]

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

On this generation of phones how important are tempered glass screen protectors?

Tempered glass doesnt really protect against drops but more scratches from dust, sand or smashing against other things in a bag. I personally work in an office, no where near the beach and my phone is always isolated in my pocket, so for me the trade off on feel isn't worth it and frankely I havent had a scratch on my glass since gorilla glass 2 days. If you do feel its worth it for you though don't cheap out, those super budget ones you see on amazon are usually garbage, go for a respected brand.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 8, 2018

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Turdsdown Tom posted:

holy poo poo that is good for that kind of screen

after i first fully cranked the Pixel, I was determined to let it run fully out before i charged it again because battery health and all that jazz. I literally couldn't do it. I have to go to work this afternoon and I had to plug it in at 9%

Just to let you know, draining your battery isn't needed anymore. In fact I'm not sure it was ever a good idea, but definitely not needed now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

How else are we supposed to know how many hours of talk time the phone has

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Peachfart posted:

Just to let you know, draining your battery isn't needed anymore. In fact I'm not sure it was ever a good idea, but definitely not needed now.

you're right, it's NiMH batteries that you have to do that if you plan on storing them for longer than a month (otherwise crystals form and gently caress the whole thing up). Li-ion batteries don't need to be fully drained/fully cranked to keep them healthy

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Stevie Lee posted:

Does the android system equalizer just not work for Bluetooth audio?

It definitely works for my wired headphones on the pixel 2, but I bought some Bluetooth earbuds last week and the equalizer has zero effect on the audio when I use them. They sound pretty good without it, but a small boost to the low end would make them sound excellent.

I've tested it on both Spotify and Google Play Music with the same results, so I can't blame the lovely Spotify app.

I use This App, and have on my Pixel 2 and Huawei Mate 9. It provides EQ function with Bluetooth headphones. The preinstalled presets work well but I'd recommend ponying up the buck or two to create your own. Try downloading it, enabling the "Latin" preset, and see if it livens up your Bluetooth headphones. You can test it in real time by opening the app while listening to music and switching between presets or turning it on and off.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 9, 2018

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno, I think it comes down to personal preference and paranoia level. I would say not necessary, but they're a good peace of mind. The problem is, there are no good tempered glass protectors for the 2.5d or curved edge screens (ie. Samsung edge screens, Pixel 2 XL, etc)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K72CR4/

Who here wants to try it first?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I thought the Pixel 2 had a flat screen and the 2XL was the on with the curved edges. Why are people buying this for the 2 Non XL?

It looks like this is the only way to get TG Protectors to work on our 2XL and other curved devices. Man I hate curved edges.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, the 2XL is the one with the curved edges. The 2XL version of that one has reports that the edge isn't even rounded. Sigh.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In addition to that $5 Fandango promo, there's also $10 off a $50+ B&H Photo and Video purchase, and $10 off $35+ Instacart order.

https://support.google.com/googlepay/answer/7625564?p=tc&visit_id=1-636510637003520517-2631208903&rd=1

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My wife's Nexus 5X just got stuck at the boot screen and won't start in recovery mode after only a year and a month of service (just outside of warranty). Welp, hope the Pixel 2 is the bees knees.

My Nexus 6 is also starting to get unforgivably slow at times until I reboot after only 8 months. Some serious bad luck with Nexus products here.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My wife's Nexus 5X just got stuck at the boot screen and won't start in recovery mode after only a year and a month of service (just outside of warranty). Welp, hope the Pixel 2 is the bees knees.

My Nexus 6 is also starting to get unforgivably slow at times until I reboot after only 8 months. Some serious bad luck with Nexus products here.

Don't feel bad. In Android years both of those phones are laid up in the nursing home staring at the ceiling at this point.

I had a Nexus 6 too, it was pretty awesome when it was new.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I think I'll get the newly announced Xperia XA2 as a replacement for my 5X.
The XA2 seems to be very similar to the Nexus 5X in many ways, but newer. The screen is the same size, but the footprint is slightly smaller, and Sony finally moved the fingerprint reader to the back. It's priced at a similar price point as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IIRC, Sony is pretty good about updates.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

IIRC, Sony is pretty good about updates.

Really the only gripes about Sony I've heard are the disabling of the fingerprint sensor in the US and the price, and I think you can work around the former if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sony usually does major updates for about one and a half years. I'm a little grumpy that my Xperia Z5 isn't getting Oreo but I'm not actively surprised, it's in line with their history.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 9, 2018

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

LastInLine posted:

Really the only gripes about Sony I've heard are the disabling of the fingerprint sensor in the US and the price, and I think you can work around the former if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

Wait what? Why was it disabled?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

minusX posted:

Wait what? Why was it disabled?

Speculation is because of a carrier agreement.
Turns out this is their first phone sold in the US with a working one.

Edit: That having been said, the XA2 is pretty underwhelming. A Snapdragon 630 with 3GB of RAM only on Nougat is a pretty tough sell given the Moto G5+ is going to work better for half the price.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 9, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Razer is bringing back the Motorola Lapdock

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/9/16866206/razer-project-linda-phone-laptop-dock-touchpad-prototype-android-concept-ces-2018

This is probably just as doomed as the previous attempts, but at least this time they realized in this configuration you can use the touchscreen as a touchpad

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/9/16866206/razer-project-linda-phone-laptop-dock-touchpad-prototype-android-concept-ces-2018

This is probably just as doomed as the previous attempts, but at least this time they realized in this configuration you can use the touchscreen as a touchpad

I think that's just POC, it's not a real product right?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
That's how I imagined the future would look like when Motorola first did it. I think it's a great idea personally. Honestly I think having the phone being both your pocket computer and a literal computer is the way of the future, rather than companies shelling out $1,200 to $2,000 for their employees to use as excel and outlook machines.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Speculation is because of a carrier agreement.
Turns out this is their first phone sold in the US with a working one.

Edit: That having been said, the XA2 is pretty underwhelming. A Snapdragon 630 with 3GB of RAM only on Nougat is a pretty tough sell given the Moto G5+ is going to work better for half the price.
The XA2 has Oreo out of the box though. And the fingerprint reader is in the back, so it will be turned on even in the US, from what I can understand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's CES, so best to assume that 95% of the poo poo you see will never make it to market.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
OnePlus' courier delivered the OP5T I ordered, six days after I called FedEx to specifically reject the parcel and return it to sender. OnePlus really wanted me to get this phone, presumably so I would have to pay return shipping on the box because I "accepted" the package when the FedEx guy left it at my door while I was at work.

Thankfully, the FedEx people set up a retrieval for me at no charge because the courier was a piece of poo poo and still delivered the package. It'll be going back at no charge. Feel like I dodged a huge bullet by not sticking with a phone from these fuckers.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

I use This App, and have on my Pixel 2 and Huawei Mate 9. It provides EQ function with Bluetooth headphones. The preinstalled presets work well but I'd recommend ponying up the buck or two to create your own. Try downloading it, enabling the "Latin" preset, and see if it livens up your Bluetooth headphones. You can test it in real time by opening the app while listening to music and switching between presets or turning it on and off.

holy poo poo this actually works. thank you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think that's just POC, it's not a real product right?
Yeah no commitment to real product at this time.

Zagg on the other hand has announced a real product:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/9/16867062/zagg-glass-curve-elite-samsung-s8-note-8-ces-2018

It's a curved glass screen protector for phones like the Galaxy S8 / Note 8.

quote:

But now, after two initial tries to get it right — and after charging customers $50 each time — Zagg has come back with a third attempt at the ideal screen protector for Samsung’s products. It’s called the InvisibleShield Glass Curve Elite and has gel-based adhesive underneath the entire glass surface, so you won’t lose any touch sensitivity. No UV lamp required. There’s also ugly halo anywhere. That’s probably because Zagg says this is the most aggressive adhesive it has ever used for a screen protector. (Don’t worry; your device will be fine if you need to remove it.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rastor posted:

I guess it'll probably never take off, but I'm way in favor of companies trying more "what people thought the future would look like in the '90s" stuff like this, even if it never actually becomes a real product. It sure beats reading more articles about black rectangles.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

A+ product would use

edit:

quote:

Additionally, the display is only able to mirror the phone in its current state, instead of displaying two different screens (although the company is hoping to get to that point).

:laffo:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

Yeah no commitment to real product at this time.

Zagg on the other hand has announced a real product:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/9/16867062/zagg-glass-curve-elite-samsung-s8-note-8-ces-2018

It's a curved glass screen protector for phones like the Galaxy S8 / Note 8.

I'll likely bite the bullet and get this for my Note 8 and I'll let you all know if it's good.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

OnePlus' courier delivered the OP5T I ordered, six days after I called FedEx to specifically reject the parcel and return it to sender. OnePlus really wanted me to get this phone, presumably so I would have to pay return shipping on the box because I "accepted" the package when the FedEx guy left it at my door while I was at work.

Thankfully, the FedEx people set up a retrieval for me at no charge because the courier was a piece of poo poo and still delivered the package. It'll be going back at no charge. Feel like I dodged a huge bullet by not sticking with a phone from these fuckers.

None of that is Oneplus' fault but good job misattributing your minor annoyance to them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cosmo321 posted:

The XA2 has Oreo out of the box though. And the fingerprint reader is in the back, so it will be turned on even in the US, from what I can understand.

Ah you're right, only the low end of the three announced devices is on Nougat. That's good, because Oreo-launched phones have to be Project Treble compatible (not that updates were a problem with Sony before).

I mean, it's an okay phone but let's be real here, the Moto G5+ is [i][$230/i] and has more RAM and it's available now. $230.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Budgie posted:

None of that is Oneplus' fault but good job misattributing your minor annoyance to them.

except for the part where FedEx told me the courier knew they weren't supposed to deliver the package and did it anyway lmao do you know how couriers work? have you ever shipped anything in your life? way to take it super personally man lol

you're right though, the package just magically showed up at my door, definitely not the fault of the shipper. lmao this is like the most common shipping "scam" (if you can even call it that) in the book

next you're gonna tell me LaserShip or some other contracted courier is a great last-leg carrier I bet

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 9, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Goons were a mistake

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Goons were a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else on an OG Pixel XL still waiting for the December security update?