Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bad Munki posted:

I think it came up in this thread before: I put down some new hardwood flooring in my office, and I need to get a chair, but I reeeaaally don’t any to put down a plastic mat. I think it was mentioned that there are chairs/wheels that are a bit softer and this not as hard on a wood floor. How do I find such a thing, what am I looking for? Do I just buy a chair and replace the wheels, or do I need to find one that has them already, or what?

Your best bet is probably going to be buying the chair you want and then replacing the wheels with rubber casters. You should be able to find plenty of options for them on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bad Munki posted:

I think it came up in this thread before: I put down some new hardwood flooring in my office, and I need to get a chair, but I reeeaaally don’t any to put down a plastic mat. I think it was mentioned that there are chairs/wheels that are a bit softer and this not as hard on a wood floor. How do I find such a thing, what am I looking for? Do I just buy a chair and replace the wheels, or do I need to find one that has them already, or what?

They look like roller blade wheels and you can get them aftermarket.

If you have a high-end chair (such as HM), they sell replacements directly or can custom fit a chair for you.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Reposting from the crappy construction thread for everyone that doesn't follow both.

mshade posted:

Surprisingly that baby seal chair is the least creepy of the collection:
Vintage chairs embellished with stuffed animals

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't want to sit on or own any of those, but the buffalo one looks like a stampede, which is cute.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I thought it couldn’t get stranger than the cowboy sea turtles chair but then I saw the Rocky Racoon Chair.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Would this be the right thread to ask for advice on painting an interior? We have a strangely shaped space that we are having trouble figuring out how to paint right.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
That or DIY

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

That or DIY

Cool, I'll put a post together with pics in a bit. Thanks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We are in a condo currently. We have already painted the bedroom and office, and are ready to do the living room. Problem is, the space is a weird shape with long walls and lots of corners, and we aren't sure how to not make it look like a loving train wreck.

Main Living Area:

Weird Dining Area Thing With Built In Table Thing That We Hate But Can't Get Rid Of"

(That's the kitchen through that opening, the back door is visible.)

View of Front Door and Wall From Kitchen:

---

We aren't 100% on colors yet, so any suggestions are welcome, but I'm more looking for help on proper use of accent colors, which walls get the darker color, etc.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'd probably go safe an do all one color that's an actual color, not a neutral; a light shade, though, so the space doesn't get too dark. If you really want go for multiples, maybe do the two inside walls that make the inner corner of the L in a different color?

You might look into trying one of those online paint-tester programs that lets you just slap color over photos of the room to get an idea what might work as far as color and location. Sherwin Williams has a pretty decent one.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The wall with the large Shipyard mirror on it is a massive wall, is that part of the "L" you're talking about? We thought of doing that was as an anchoring color, maybe something darker, and doing the rest as the same lighter color.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We are in a condo currently. We have already painted the bedroom and office, and are ready to do the living room. Problem is, the space is a weird shape with long walls and lots of corners, and we aren't sure how to not make it look like a loving train wreck.

Main Living Area:

Weird Dining Area Thing With Built In Table Thing That We Hate But Can't Get Rid Of"

---

We aren't 100% on colors yet, so any suggestions are welcome, but I'm more looking for help on proper use of accent colors, which walls get the darker color, etc.

!Wall words detected!
That's a really tricky space to fully utilize though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Those mall bathroom tiles aren't helping. Maybe a light, soft minty green/teal, depending on how it looks in the day? Whatever color you go for, please buy more lamps.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Those mall bathroom tiles aren't helping. Maybe a light, soft minty green/teal, depending on how it looks in the day? Whatever color you go for, please buy more lamps.

The hanging light is a variable brightness, I had it turned all the way down for the pics. It gets plenty bright in here.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

The hanging light is a variable brightness, I had it turned all the way down for the pics. It gets plenty bright in here.

Oh god please don't light that whole area with one hanging lamp

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh god please don't light that whole area with one hanging lamp

We don't light that area at all really, it's very lightly used. Anyway, the lights are something we are working on, not what I am looking for help on. Wasn't there something in the rules in the OP about not posting if you weren't helping somebody meet a design goal?

Edit: it isn't our condo, we are renting and have no say in the awful tile and hardwired lighting. We hate it too.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 14, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

there wolf posted:

I'd probably go safe an do all one color that's an actual color, not a neutral; a light shade, though, so the space doesn't get too dark. If you really want go for multiples, maybe do the two inside walls that make the inner corner of the L in a different color?

I see what you mean now, ok. The wall with the tic tac toe shelf and the one with the pictures would be a popping accent color, and the rest a solid color. That seems like the best option now that we are looking. We read about painting certain walls to "lengthen or shorten" a room and poo poo and were feeling overwhelmed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That is a really, really weird space, and a weird flooring choice.

If that doorway wasn't centered on the short wall, it would be a lot more useful of a space.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

That is a really, really weird space, and a weird flooring choice.

If that doorway wasn't centered on the short wall, it would be a lot more useful of a space.

Right?! It's really a loving nightmare. The owners are friends if ours and CHOSE the tile, and installed it themselves. All of it is crooked and uneven.

It would be great to have a dining room table, but the the door being centered is horrible. We are just trying to get the place livable since we are going to be here a few more years.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I see what you mean now, ok. The wall with the tic tac toe shelf and the one with the pictures would be a popping accent color, and the rest a solid color. That seems like the best option now that we are looking. We read about painting certain walls to "lengthen or shorten" a room and poo poo and were feeling overwhelmed.

Yeah. Bright/dark on the inside and neutral/light on the outside would ideally make the space look bigger. Or you could be really modern and do both the walls with interior doors in one bright color and everything else in a neutral. Another trick might be to create the illusion a room break between the living and dining spaces so you can treat them like different rooms. Some fake built-ins would work, or at least a shelf high enough to hide the line where the paint changes.

General advice on accent walls since it comes up a lot, the ideal accent wall is pretty much always going to be an 1. interior wall, preferably one that ends in a hallway or doorway instead of intersecting another wall 2. noticeably smaller wall than the others in the room, 3. placed where you expect people to naturally look at the wall (and I mean the wall, please do not make the one with the giant bay window your accent wall in an otherwise beige kitchen.) If you space doesn't have anything that fits some of those criteria then you might want to think about doing two or three walls, or letting go of your fears and paint the whole room one vivid color.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One thing I don’t see ever in this thread is dado rails? Do Americans not do that thing where you split the wall in half with a dado rail and then paint the bottom half a darker colour? I don’t think I’ve ever been in a British house without this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We call them chair rails. They're in nicer older construction, which I don't think anyone here has posted? But they exist, just not in new houses/apartments.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The layout of your tv and dining area means you're generally facing the same direction so I'd probably go hog wild and paint the whole zig zag zone a cheerful avocado green.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PS my toilet has that wall divider thing because I liked this floral wallpaper (lol) but knew it would be overwhelming all the way to the ceiling.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

The layout of your tv and dining area means you're generally facing the same direction so I'd probably go hog wild and paint the whole zig zag zone a cheerful avocado green.

Your layout drawings are the best.

Anyway, the lights are something we are working on, not what I am looking for help on.

The eternal refrain of the SA question asker.

Main Living Area:

---

Looks like you really have two rooms there, personally I would see about splitting them after which the paint choices might come more easily. I know it's a rental but they're your friends and you're painting it so I'm not sure how much leeway you have, but to me I'd put up at least some non-permanent dividers where the shipyard mirror is and paint up to that line.

To directly answer your original question regarding accent walls, if everything was left as is I'd accent the wall with the TV and leave everything else, maybe "do a peanut".

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’d push the couch and tv more toward the middle of the wall to give you an entrance area from the door. It looks crammed in there right now. At least push it away enough that it gives the same distance from the arm to the window as it does the back to the wall.

Your entrance is crammed too tight with the couch like that, it needs more space.

E: also, you have too much poo poo on every surface, it makes the place look like a hoarder house. You need an actual place for things that isn’t “crammed under the coffee table” or “shoved in the corner of the bench”

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 14, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PRADA SLUT posted:

E: also, you have too much poo poo on every surface, it makes the place look like a hoarder house. You need an actual place for things that isn’t “crammed under the coffee table” or “shoved in the corner of the bench”

Please have a word with my wife.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:lol: if you think that’s a hoarder house. Having a few things out on a table is normal, a minamalist throw out all your possessions ethos is fine if that’s your thing, making everyone else feel like poo poo for not subscribing to your lifestyle is deeply uncool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

We don't light that area at all really, it's very lightly used. Anyway, the lights are something we are working on, not what I am looking for help on. Wasn't there something in the rules in the OP about not posting if you weren't helping somebody meet a design goal?

The lighting suggestion was secondary, but I'm also a Lamps Everywhere type so ymmv lmao

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
She's pregnant and been feeling like poo poo and I work all weekend, so yeah it's a bit of a mess atm

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ignore PRADA SLUT, they have empathy issues.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

She's pregnant and been feeling like poo poo and I work all weekend, so yeah it's a bit of a mess atm

It’s really not you know, it looks like a normal lived in house with your memories out on display :)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

learnincurve posted:

It’s really not you know, it looks like a normal lived in house with your memories out on display :)

What I mean is we keep it neater normally.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Would it be possible to get a daytime photo?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, but it won't be much different. We get almost zero natural light in here.

We really don't like this place, but the price and location are right for us at this moment. Hence trying to paint and make it a tad better.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I hope your wife feels better soon... And sending best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Peanut's ideas are always excellent, so I'll agree with them. I wonder about like a burnt orangish color also. Maybe that would warm things up a bit?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

I hope your wife feels better soon... And sending best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Peanut's ideas are always excellent, so I'll agree with them. I wonder about like a burnt orangish color also. Maybe that would warm things up a bit?

Thanks, she's fine really. Just turbo heartburn and normal aches. We floated orange, but after talking about it we are leaning towards doing a color, maybe like a navy blue, on the inside of the L, and like a taupe on the rest?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Although my kitchen surfaces and dining room table must be KEPT CLEAR AT ALL TIMES, and ALL DUST MUST DIE stuff tends to accumulate on sides and tables until it annoys me and I blitz it. There are six of us in a 3 bedroom house and I’m the only one who does housework - if I instantly tidied up every time someone left something out I’d never sit down.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Here are some daytime shots of the space:

:siren: BONUS :siren:

Bedroom (already painted and "done" more or less, just looking to replace some wall hangings and stuff):

Office (wife teaches english online from home. Bonus cat.):

Edit: We are in the process of acquiring more rugs to cover the majority of that awful loving tile. They CHOSE that poo poo, what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think it's a bad idea to just immediately paint the place without figuring out exactly what you're hoping to get out of the space. Like do you want to use the dining area, or is it just some generic storage place® that won't be eaten on? Are you replacing furniture or moving things around?

If you want to use the dining area for dining, you might just paint the adjacent walls to visually separate that area If you just want to homogenize the room then it doesn't matter, but it's hard to say without knowing how you intend to utilize the space. I assume you're eating at the TV, but it's hard to tell.

learnincurve posted:

I too have fond memories of my cleaning bottles and nail clippers. And lol if pointing it out makes you "feel like poo poo"

e: if you paint the tv wall, make sure to accidentally misplace the wall word

e2: when you say a condo, are you saying you own the place or is it an apartment? If you own it, just tear out the built-in kitchen and replace it with what you want.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 14, 2018