Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I dunno, watching someone pull off an insane jump in a 3D Mario where timing and positioning is super variable and precise than moving units in a turn-based RPG where character movement is dictated by a grid. Especially when it's like this an it's super RNG manipulated. This is more of a display of rote memorization than player skill.

I mean, can he even lose at all?

There are poo poo-tons of speedruns where there is less risk of run ending than RNG manip runs. Most 100% runs quickly get past any sort of danger for example, or stuff like mario-64 has basically no chance of game overing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Has there ever been a yu gi oh game at a gdq....?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

hell, i love the 3DS FE games and can't wait for the Switch one but anything older than Awakening looks unplayable to me :smith:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Though to be fair, we're pretty much only seeing the map sprites in this run and not the character portraits and combat animations

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
RISK OF RAIN REPORT: run rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpV4a2ZmPaw

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Nice

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dunban posted:

Though to be fair, we're pretty much only seeing the map sprites in this run and not the character portraits and combat animations

Indeed. The GBA games are significantly worse without Warriorcopter/Assassincoptor/Paladins galloping in place, etc.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think I'm done here for the day :tipshat:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Majuju posted:

here's an EL MATADOR youtube mirror until the official VOD is up
I wasn't prepared for the world's slowest Superman leap.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Hellioning posted:

Indeed. The GBA games are significantly worse without Warriorcopter/Assassincoptor/Paladins galloping in place, etc.

General axe crit :swoon:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Has there ever been a yu gi oh game at a gdq....?

No but a few of the games can be easily RNG manipulated by moving cards around in your deck list to guarantee you get an Exodia turn 1 every game. :eng101:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ramos posted:

No but a few of the games can be easily RNG manipulated by moving cards around in your deck list to guarantee you get an Exodia turn 1 every game. :eng101:

accurate to the anime then

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm going to watch El Matador now

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

I dunno, watching someone pull off an insane jump in a 3D Mario where timing and positioning is super variable and precise than moving units in a turn-based RPG where character movement is dictated by a grid. Especially when it's like this an it's super RNG manipulated. This is more of a display of rote memorization than player skill.

I mean, can he even lose at all?

How is memorizing where and how to jump any different than to know what buttons to push in what order to manipulate RNG as fast as possible?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Didn't the Yugioh WR guy get outed as using hacks to manipulate what cards he got?

No trust in the heart of the cards

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ramos posted:

NGL that sounds cool to see once or twice but I'd probably fall asleep if the run was more than like 5 minutes

Like this run

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ramos posted:

This rules

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Holy poo poo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saint Freak posted:

Didn't the Yugioh WR guy get outed as using hacks to manipulate what cards he got?

No trust in the heart of the cards

that's literally what the heart of the cards is

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't watch yugioh but all those clips of twitch-watches-yugioh got me to fuckin love watching people get hype as hell about yugioh

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I think some of the older YGO games like Forbidden Memories and Duelists of the Roses are actually somewhat popular speedrun games

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't watch yugioh but all those clips of twitch-watches-yugioh got me to fuckin love watching people get hype as hell about yugioh

Maybe I'm just aging but I don't understand the appeal of watching other people watch something unless you're friends with them. Any insight onto what draws people into that?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

grand theft grotto posted:

Maybe I'm just aging but I don't understand the appeal of watching other people watch something unless you're friends with them. Any insight onto what draws people into that?

Glad to be your friend!

edit: wait, misread that.

edit 2: Forever friendless.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ramos posted:

Glad to be your friend!

edit: wait, misread that.

edit 2: Forever friendless.

It's alright we're all friends here

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm only friends with people who like fire emblem

not necessarily this speed run just fire emblem in general

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm the kinda person who gets a huge rush out of good energy and passion for stuff. I'm not much of a team sports guy but I go to every football game in invited to cause I get so wrapped up in the atmosphere it feels really good to be involved.

The twitch watches yugioh stuff makes me lmao cause everyone spams excitement and amazement at every single "big moment" and I just looooove that sort of thing- same reason I don't watch pro wrestling but live similar clips of hype moments making the crowd go wild. I feel kinda like a little kid again all wrapped up in the drama. Also why I like posting with you and everyone else during big dick races, etc :)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

EGG PUNS

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

*looks at thread title and thread contents, pats forehead with handkerchief*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

~please clap~

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Me watching the El Matador run

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh thank goodness.

Kaubocks posted:

i'm only friends with people who like fire emblem

not necessarily this speed run just fire emblem in general

Opinions on the most important Fire Emblem, Tokyo Mirage: Sessions Hash Sign FE?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

El Matador was A Good Run.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I love egg puns but I’m never good at them myself, always have to poach them from others

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

this risk of rain run is really joyous--what a great couch and runner--good vibes, interesting looking game I've never heard of

10/10 would watch again

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
His pronunciation of L'Arachel triggers me

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Waffles Inc. posted:

this risk of rain run is really joyous--what a great couch and runner--good vibes, interesting looking game I've never heard of

10/10 would watch again

it really is a ton of fun casually, I can't recommend it highly enough

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dias posted:

that's literally what the heart of the cards is

hes right.

this is LITERALLY revealed in the final few episodes. fucker was cheating the entire time!!!

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Ramos posted:

Oh thank goodness.

Opinions on the most important Fire Emblem, Tokyo Mirage: Sessions Hash Sign FE?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is excellent, though it's more SMT than FE

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Dunban posted:

His pronunciation of L'Arachel triggers me

LA-rachel made me feel like all the people who’ve been making GBS threads on this run

that can not stand on my GDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Estimated ten minutes to this run being over, hype

• Locked thread