Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ship Of The Line Napoleonic style were drat monsters compared to those speedy but svelte 17th century boats now. Self sufficient cannon hauling wooden bastard beasts.

Imagine all the gold that could be packed into one of them if some crazy privateer had one*.

*this is one way to play the remake of Pirates! if you give no fucks about the whole 'dividing loot' thing.

Yeah, but good loving luck getting one in Pirates. You have to really, REALLY piss off the British, French, or Dutch and make sure they're also very wealthy at the same time to get them to just maybe send a Ship of the Line into the Caribbean.

Even Henry Morgan just sails a Large Frigate. Brig of War for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I prefer the mail sloop, the fastest and therefore best ship

Sure you have to send all the loot to the bottom of the sea because there’s no room for both food and cargo on the ship, but piracy is about the getting, not the having

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What you do is you run around in a mail runner, bob and weave your way around enemy shots, and then gradually demolish the sails and crew until you get a nice and easy surrender.

Then tow a big ol' ship or a few behind you like a frigate or even a fluyt to carry all the extra loot and extra crew for invading towns, and they can pick up after you while you're doing wheelies around enemy ships.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Brig of War or Brigantine does it for me as well, no sense in using your war galleons unless facing an equally large ship, and even so speed can be a great advantage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SeanBeansShako posted:

this is one way to play the remake of Pirates! if you give no fucks about the whole 'dividing loot' thing.

This is the only way to play Pirates! IMO. How else are you going to ransack all the towns?

I really want to play that game again, but with like a mod to make time run slower, having to eventually retire, while an interesting narrative choice, is not as much fun as just sailing around effortlessly fencing everybody into the sea. Hopefully I've still got my dancing chops...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speed always beats firepower in that game because the idea is to steal ships, not sink them. The exception is when you want to conquer a port, then it’s time to find the four biggest ships that you can and crew them with a bunch of forlorn souls to toss into the meat grinder

To accidentally bring this around to a history question; were pirate raids on ports and towns a real thing that happened? I guess my picture of pirates is of them trying to keep their heads down and steal stuff at sea, attacking a town feels a little high profile, but I’m also completely ignorant of the history of the time period versus popular fiction

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Blur sannnnnnnnng......Imbliblicated!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But the dancing minigame....

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I honestly love the fact that the key to being the greatest pirate of all time is being a really good dancer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And really isn't the greatest challenge old age?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PittTheElder posted:

This is the only way to play Pirates! IMO. How else are you going to ransack all the towns?

I really want to play that game again, but with like a mod to make time run slower, having to eventually retire, while an interesting narrative choice, is not as much fun as just sailing around effortlessly fencing everybody into the sea. Hopefully I've still got my dancing chops...

I once made a challenge run of the game sailing only an Indian War Canoe.

It's quite doable, if you're the best swordsman on the planet.

I keep telling myself someday I'll challenge myself to complete the whole game in a fluyt or a barque.

Ainsley McTree posted:

To accidentally bring this around to a history question; were pirate raids on ports and towns a real thing that happened? I guess my picture of pirates is of them trying to keep their heads down and steal stuff at sea, attacking a town feels a little high profile, but I’m also completely ignorant of the history of the time period versus popular fiction

Oh goodness yes. Henry Morgan razed Panama City to the ground, for example.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Monday 8th January, 1945

Eight members of the mess (me included) resolved, the previous night, to rise early the next morning to go skating (0830!) I was the first to rise through Allan’s agency and spent a busy fifteen minutes chivvying the flagging spirits of various other members-but at last we were on the ice. A gay parade we made too despite the fact that we spent most of the time on our backsides. I never recovered from the rash act and I was tired for the rest of the day.

I rallied towards evening and did a big ‘bash’ of dhobi. How I hate laundering. If ever I am domesticated my wife will never lack sympathetic support on my part for that awful drudgery. I am still waiting for an opportunity to hang my remnants up (2345) and there they sit – a soggy mass not much to show for two hours hard work.

Very little mail in the camp again, today. Still luck misses me. I become quite restless by the time mail issue comes around and more often than not come away empty handed.

Position on every front is static, this fact and the bitter weather we are experiencing at the moment and of course the old trouble shortage of food tests the old moral to the utmost. It is just a question of sticking out the next long dreary months and we hope that spring will bring the sun and victory.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 11, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fangz posted:

I suspect it'd be more about the changing strategic picture, from being outnumbered to being dominant on the seas, and thus prioritising destroying or capturing enemy vessels before they can escape vs a more conservative doctrine.

Eh, I'm not sure about that. As I mentioned earlier, even by the time of the Spanish Armada the English were starting to notice that "standing off and peppering at a distance," while cool in theory accomplished sweet gently caress-all, and during the battle itself changed things up near the end by charging in close (though not to boarding range) to good effect. The later shift in things like ship design and doctrine seems to just straight up reflect that you don't win battles without getting in close with more and better guns than the other guy. This is all happening while things like the Dutch Wars are still on-going, mark you, and English naval dominance still in doubt (in fact the Royal/State Navy doesn't really start to develop its reputation until Cromwell started turning it around to give himself a foreign policy stick to distract from his domestic difficulties).

It's possible to argue that there's a bit of a chicken and egg question in your argument; what came first, English naval dominance requiring a more aggressive doctrine, or a more aggressive doctrine establishing English naval dominance?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh, no, raids on ports and holding towns up for ransom were super common. Keep in mind that America was a colonial frontier - when Henry Morgan sacked Panama, one of the Spanish Empire's richest and most important ports, it was defended by a garrison of 2,600. The whole reason why piracy was such a big thing in the region was because there was a lot of money floating around but not enough military strength available to defend it all (because early modern cross-continental logistics sucked and because nobody had figured out yet how to deal with yellow fever killing most of whatever troops and crews you sent down there). If you can round up enough dudes willing to follow you and you can stay ahead of the mobile military forces, sacking a town (or just convincing them to give you money so that you go away) is a pretty good payday so why not?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

What you do is you run around in a mail runner, bob and weave your way around enemy shots, and then gradually demolish the sails and crew until you get a nice and easy surrender.

Then tow a big ol' ship or a few behind you like a frigate or even a fluyt to carry all the extra loot and extra crew for invading towns, and they can pick up after you while you're doing wheelies around enemy ships.

I made the mistake of capturing a War Galleon and it turns out that playing a War Galleon sucks because it's super slow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I made the mistake of capturing a War Galleon and it turns out that playing a War Galleon sucks because it's super slow.

War Galleons actually can be shockingly fast - in a good wind, and they're terrible at tacking and maneuvering with the wind. It's quite noticeable when making long treks in that game, bigger ships are actually much faster than small ships when they hold the weather gauge. It's just that this situation tends not to hold in ship battles.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Tomn posted:

Oh, no, raids on ports and holding towns up for ransom were super common. Keep in mind that America was a colonial frontier - when Henry Morgan sacked Panama, one of the Spanish Empire's richest and most important ports, it was defended by a garrison of 2,600. The whole reason why piracy was such a big thing in the region was because there was a lot of money floating around but not enough military strength available to defend it all (because early modern cross-continental logistics sucked and because nobody had figured out yet how to deal with yellow fever killing most of whatever troops and crews you sent down there). If you can round up enough dudes willing to follow you and you can stay ahead of the mobile military forces, sacking a town (or just convincing them to give you money so that you go away) is a pretty good payday so why not?
Plus towns are traditionally stationary and more full of stuff than ships, thus easier to find and loot. :black101:

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's called battery not peppery.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

bigger ships are actually much faster than small ships when they hold the weather gauge.

That's not exactly the weather gage, that's just sailing downwind - larger ships can usually do this better because their square sails are best-adapted to catching wind from almost directly behind (sailing directly downwind is usually slower than sailing at a slight angle from downwind, since sailing directly downwind means your rearmost sails are blocking the wind from hitting the forward sails with full force).

The weather gage specifically refers to a situation when you're upwind of the enemy. This allows you to dictate the pace of the engagement since engaging the enemy means heading somewhere downwind, which gives you full freedom of movement and a lot of speed and momentum to do whatever you want to do. Conversely, if you're downwind of the enemy, trying to attack the enemy means tacking up into the wind and being constrained by both speed and maneuverability since you can't sail directly upwind and are usually sailing slower than you would downwind anyhow. It's kinda like how height means energy and advantage in an aircraft duel, from what I understand.

The point where the weather gage differs from sailing downwind as an advantage for galleons is a situation where, let's say, a sloop is facing a galleon and the sloop has the weather gage. If the galleon for whatever reason doesn't want to fight (maybe they're short on crew or something), they can turn downwind and speed away faster than the sloop can manage, even though the sloop has the advantage of the weather gage, because their square sails give them a better turn of speed going downwind than the sloop's fore and aft rig.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

psudo-history memes are good

https://twitter.com/FK_hyperwar/status/938463059017945088

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, I can get the "Our nationality once ruled over everything" concept, but what really confuses me is why they're handing all that territory over to Venice.

And you're just being lazy with "Squiggly Fort Finns"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

We continue the American Rocket arsenal with a belated introduction on the subject, as well as their construction, and a pair of Navy rockets. What does a PWP-abbreviated rocket mean? How were Navy rockets used for practice? Which rocket(s) were built by the California Institute of Technology? All that and more can be found at the blog!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

In an effort to disorganise Morgan's forces, the governor of Panama released two herds of oxen and bulls onto the battlefield; scared by the noise of the gunfire, they turned and stampeded over their keepers and some of the remaining Spanish troops.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I've heard of fast food...

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ask Us About Military History Mk. III: CHOO'BAHN!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speed always beats firepower in that game because the idea is to steal ships, not sink them. The exception is when you want to conquer a port, then it’s time to find the four biggest ships that you can and crew them with a bunch of forlorn souls to toss into the meat grinder

Jokes on you, for not landing in a cove and then murderizing the town defenders with your army in the infantry mini-game.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 9, 2018

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 8th Jan 1918 posted:

Usual routine of front line. No patrols were sent out.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Reading Caribbean history it’s amazing how often while colonies get exterminated. Haiti had to be refounded like three time because the Spanish kept rolling up and murdering everybody.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Squalid posted:

Reading Caribbean history it’s amazing how often while colonies get exterminated. Haiti had to be refounded like three time because the Spanish kept rolling up and murdering everybody.

What, exterminating European settlers? Did not realize that was how it was done back then

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can also bombard the city from afar to reduce its fortification, but that might affect the city's wealth. I'm not exactly sure. And then you can install a nation of your choice so that you can have a friendly port in the area.

That game was so good. The closest anything else has come lately is either AC4 with its (shallower) naval combat or maybe Mount & Blade for the sort of letting the player be a warlord and raider, but I've never been able get into that game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tias posted:

Ask Us About Military History Mk. III: CHOO'BAHN!

Jokes on you, for not landing in a cove and then murderizing the town defenders with your army in the infantry mini-game.

That mini game was fun and the worst thing about the iOS pirates port is that it cuts it out entirely. You can still attack ports, it’s just an instant win/lose screen and I’m not sure what all the math is behind it

It’s otherwise a very good port, though

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Squalid posted:

Dumb question: why

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think the Spanish wiped out the French colonies in Florida because they were Huguenots. Dunno about Haiti, but for a while, colonies were also pirate havens.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

Heresy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Why did the Spanish wipe out colonies, you mean?

Because Spain owned all of America by the grace of God and the Pope as seen in the Treaty of Tordesillas and any other Europeans in the area were criminal interlopers who needed to get out or face the consequences. As late as the 1790s Spain still claimed the West Coast all the way up to Oregon, despite having very little ability to enforce those claims.

Also foreign bases in the Americas were a threat to Spain's American empire, and early on foreign colonies often meant "safe port for privateers hunting Spanish trade and smugglers circumventing official Spanish colonial trade policies."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

What, exterminating European settlers? Did not realize that was how it was done back then
the spanish don't want the english muscling in on their territory, they did this in florida as well

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nobody would want Florida that badly again until 2000

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Gort posted:

Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday 8th January, 1945

A gay parade we made too despite the fact that we spent most of the time on our backsides.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Was there any fundamental difference in how field artillery was aimed between the World Wars, other than improved communication allowing faster targeting and feedback from observers?

The actual aiming of the gun was still carried out by a dude with a slide rule doing trigonometry and hand cranking the elevation and traverse and manually setting the fuse and charge, right?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nobody would want Florida that badly again until 2000
You're forgetting about Andrew Jackson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Forums user Nenonen invented this wacky thing (the fire correction circle) to make it all way easier:

With this, the artillery observer can report the corrections from his own perspective, and only needs to report the direction he's looking towards. The artillery can then cross-reference the chart with the direction of their guns and make the necessary corrections without having to plot them on a map grid. Far as Wikipedia knows the Finnish army managed to keep the method a secret during the war, but other forces probably developed similar tools.