Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

legsarerequired posted:

Online shopping makes everything so much easier, but I'm worried about ensuring humane treatment for the contract employees. I don't know what to do besides boycotting companies that have ignored public backlash against their working conditions for drivers/warehouse employees/etc. The main companies I avoid are Ubereats and Amazon, although I'm sure many of them are pretty bad.

My fear is that any of us could be working in an Amazon warehouse if our jobs are automated away over the next couple of decades. Several of my friends work part-time for Favor/Instacart/Uber/etc to supplement their primary income, including degreed people with full-time employment in their industries. Everyone just has so much debt between student loans, housing and healthcare... :(

warehouses are gonna be among the first jobs to be automated away so uh, not so sure about this fear of yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BrandorKP posted:

The cool kids listen to navel poetry sung by improvisational jazz singers...
https://youtu.be/HJsfaZdlRgI

cool kids should just listen to sea shanties in general.

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Also! Audiobook sales are way up year over year. I think they are increasing 20% every quarter. Everyone has a smartphone, and it’s easy to fit in during your day with chores / commuting. It can be inexpensive with sales or buying extra credits (I think it averages $11 a “credit” which can be cheaper than the new release kindle edition.)

That of course wrecks Barnes & Noble since selling physical CDs for $40 is obsolete.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

How about a canoe shanty?

https://youtu.be/8W-t2VvocZ8

By a self published mountain man.

Music is at the point where even something pretty esoteric is easily obtainable free to very cheap. I will likely never buy music again.

I still buy books and ebooks, mostly used physical books but that's only because I love them.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Still not sure how Trans World Entertainment (the parent company of f.y.e. and several other chains) is still in business, to be honest.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

Lol if you think you are cool but somehow don't attend a monthly chantey sing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

withak posted:

Lol if you think you are cool but somehow don't attend a monthly chantey sing.

Lol if half your record collection isn't gravelly- voiced men singing about drinking and murder

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It always makes me sad that norms about men singing in public are what they are.

I just get looked at weird down on the waterfront at night.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Paradoxish posted:

If it's true that people don't want to buy books, then it's a new trend. Younger people read more than older generations, so if there's some overall decline in reading that's happening then it's something unique to the last year or two

So people are both reading more and more likely to buy books than borrow them from a library.

People either want the cheapest price for an item they've already researched exhaustively, to peruse an endless panoply of extremely cheap things they might need, or enjoy a full fledged "retail experience" where they drink coffee and wave their hands around. That's it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

got any sevens posted:

Pirating games is still the hardest, you also worry about patches and vid card compatibility, etc.
And malware.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Does Alestorm count?

Horseshoe theory posted:

Still not sure how Trans World Entertainment (the parent company of f.y.e. and several other chains) is still in business, to be honest.
They're trying to ride the vinyl fad as hard as they can, and they're not competing with Best Buy as much now that Best Buy has heavily shrunk their music section.

boner confessor posted:

stores that only sell books are done. barnes and noble already has a media section, but really the more likely future are physical media stores that sell books, movies, music, etc. for folks who want to have tangible media vs. digital media
Media Play tried being a big-box mixed-media store and they croaked while the iTunes music store was still young and digital game+book sales didn't really even exist.

I think it's just going to come down to the same thing with all of these media stores: They can work at a certain size and in certain markets, but the opportunities are shrinking. There's probably going to be a place for book stores to exist in 2018 and beyond, but as a big-box store, and in as many locations as B&N has, probably not.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 7, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Big publishers have been pushing that for many years now, even though they had to stop enforcing it as hard as a result of the massive antitrust cases against them and Apple from when they started doing it.

What the publishers have always wanted, and still really want, is to go back to the way the nascent ebook market was in like 1999 when the ebook price was simply the hardcover list price and you had to sit there and take it as a customer.

At that price point i say gently caress it and can spend the rest of my life at the library and never run out of books i havent read

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

got any sevens posted:

At that price point i say gently caress it and can spend the rest of my life at the library and never run out of books i havent read

Every now and then I come across a book I want, but the e-book is fifteen, twenty, fifty dollars. This is especially true when it comes to niche war books.

Now, even if my library doesn't have it, it takes just a few clicks to see if Amazon can hook me up with a used copy. They often can. It's frequently cheaper to get a real copy than a digital one. :shrug:

You'd think easy access to used copies would stop ridiculous price points like the digital versions being MORE expensive than a real brand new hardcover copy. I've seen that a few times, and I wonder what's going on there.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 7, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crow Jane posted:

Lol if half your record collection isn't gravelly- voiced men singing about drinking and murder

Isnt that what metal is for

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fishmech posted:

No you just go to a certain website, search for the book you want, and click the download links, it's very simple and relatively centralized ever since the thing took off with academic journals being available for free and of course attracted a bunch of fiction and other such books. Most anything popular is very quick to pirate these days.

This is, again, completely untrue.

Look, when reading books is up with the younger generation, library attendance is down, physical book sales are only up marginally (and the only national scale physical book retail store had sales outright down) and ebook sales are down somewhat - isn't it obvious that people are reading pirated books to make that happen?

My thing with pirated books is that the book needs to be in a pretty narrow range in order to find it.

Want books about computers, sci-fi, and other stuff nerds like? Great, you're sorted, it's all over the place. Outside of that? Good luck.

Lucky for me I have access to a very good public library system.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Every time I've went looking for an epub/pdf copy of a book for friends or family I've found it. I'm sure there's a lot of books that aren't available digitally in some form but a hell of a lot of the popular stuff is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skooma512 posted:

My thing with pirated books is that the book needs to be in a pretty narrow range in order to find it.

Want books about computers, sci-fi, and other stuff nerds like? Great, you're sorted, it's all over the place. Outside of that? Good luck.

Lucky for me I have access to a very good public library system.

That seems like that was true when books were pirated by someone scanning or typing in a copy of a book, where only stuff the type of person that would scan a book ends up online, now every book is digital anyway so books just get pirated the same way everything gets pirated: someone just buys 10,000 different books from russian amazon on a stolen credit card then uploads them all.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Isnt that what metal is for

Tons of folk and country as well

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Tons of folk and country as well

And Tuvan Throat Singing

https://youtu.be/p_5yt5IX38I

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You'd think easy access to used copies would stop ridiculous price points like the digital versions being MORE expensive than a real brand new hardcover copy. I've seen that a few times, and I wonder what's going on there.
I've seen that too and I'd guess that's it's some mix of the following:
1.) Price discrimination - They've figured out that people who are searching for digital editions of niche war books are generally more accepting of high prices, so they mark them up because they can. But for a hardcover copy, well, the cost is physically printed on the back cover, so they're kind of limited in their ability to jack up prices.
2.) Human laziness or impatience - Once someone has successfully found the digital edition, they're probably either too lazy to even bother to make the comparison to a physical book or too eager to wait the extra 5 days for the physical book to get shipped, so why not squeeze an extra couple bucks out of their human failings?
3.) For older stuff, since paper copies actually cost money to hold on to, at some point, they start pricing down hard cover copies just to clear a bit of space in their warehouses. You can actually see this in the PC gaming industry all the time - the Digital Edition of a 1.5 year-old game might still cost near-new price (if you don't hit it on a Steam Sale), whereas at a big box store, the hard copies will be buried in a $9.99 discount bin.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
That said, it is flatly guaranteed that any single.player game will be at least 25% on sale on Steam within six months to a year.

Usually 50% when the first expansion comes out. Steam is really good at marketing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I went into a Sears at my local mall over the weekend. The register line in the Men's department had a wall of 36-packs of bottled water, five or six baskets of $1.00 women's thongs, and where candy or gift cards would be on the racks they instead had roach killer, bed bug/flea bombs, rat glue traps, and draino for sale.

I have no conclusions to draw from this, but it definitely feels a bit... off.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Sundae posted:

I went into a Sears at my local mall over the weekend. The register line in the Men's department had a wall of 36-packs of bottled water, five or six baskets of $1.00 women's thongs, and where candy or gift cards would be on the racks they instead had roach killer, bed bug/flea bombs, rat glue traps, and draino for sale.

What more would a man need?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Man? No. Their new target demographic is that crazy Internet sex woman who lives in a tent in the forest.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

turn all sears into stores that exclusively sell prepper supplies

Edit: are there prepper stores besides army surplus?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

It's weird that there is multiple old sci-fi where the world is ended or ending and everyone needs to go to abercrombie and fitch to stock up. Like in the 40s when it was written they were thinking like, guns and survival tools but now it reads like they want cool outfits.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Cozy catastrophe" is an old sci-fi writers' workshop term for a story where the world's coming apart at the seams, but the protagonist experiences it as an exciting vacation.

The prepper fantasy is just the fantasy of being a rich white guy, in military drag. "If you want to survive the coming apocalypse, you should own land in the country, and build a comfortable house well stocked with food and expensive toys."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this is also why the zombie apocalypse was (is?) so popular, it very unsubtly reinforces that you are a special person and not one of the mindless horde

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
...and that you can machinegun all the poor people without guilt because they're subhuman, yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

boner confessor posted:

this is also why the zombie apocalypse was (is?) so popular, it very unsubtly reinforces that you are a special person and not one of the mindless horde
That, and you can use your supply of tactilol gear to basically set yourself up as a warlord to rape/pillage/terrorize people freely.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
so barnes and noble is going the way of gamestop now? With digital distribution/amazon killing sales it seems they've also gone into selling funko pops and board games and stuff. While being able to play board games with a starbucks in the same building would be nice I don't know why people wouldn't just buy the specialty items online.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Magius1337est posted:

so barnes and noble is going the way of gamestop now? With digital distribution/amazon killing sales it seems they've also gone into selling funko pops and board games and stuff. While being able to play board games with a starbucks in the same building would be nice I don't know why people wouldn't just buy the specialty items online.
The B&Ns by my home have been selling Funkos+Board Games+Collectable Nerd poo poo for a few years now. They have a decent FigArts standup with old faves like DBZ and Sailor Moons and Marvel/DC .

They're almost nice enough to be impulse buys. Not quite cheap enough, tho.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Edit: are there prepper stores besides army surplus?

Costco

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

There are two sort of mini-Barnes and Nobles around me. Both are connected to colleges, so it's like half textbooks/school supplies/stuff related to the school and half regular book store stuff open to the public. You'd probably have to special order more obscure titles, but it's still nice to have it in the neighborhood.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I always like to stop in to the Barnes and Noble near me and their selection of board games is actually really decent. It's just not really feasible to buy them there when I have a dedicated game shop nearby that sells them for less.

e: Come to think of it, I think the only thing I've purchased there in the last few years was a pack of Christmas cards. The Nook display is probably the saddest thing, but the rest of B & N is quite nice.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Halloween Jack posted:

Man? No. Their new target demographic is that crazy Internet sex woman who lives in a tent in the forest.

Don't doxx me

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I went to Bed Bath & Beyond last week and they had an end cap dedicated to selling a USB turntable and they were cross-promoting it with a vinyl copy of a Justin Timberlake album but it isn't his new album. The whole thing was so bizarre so I bought six.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Magius1337est posted:

My local B&N seems to be about 50% kids books and toys right now, and most customers seem to be under 10.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

boner confessor posted:

Destrage did a really good song about this. Your uh mileage may vary depending on how much you like metal.

I find it kinda weird that this is the way zombie media went since if I'm not totally off the mark the classics in the genre were much more about social critique and less about the being the hero of the wasteland. Like gently caress, did anyone survive a Romero movie?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Destrage did a really good song about this. Your uh mileage may vary depending on how much you like metal.

I find it kinda weird that this is the way zombie media went since if I'm not totally off the mark the classics in the genre were much more about social critique and less about the being the hero of the wasteland. Like gently caress, did anyone survive a Romero movie?

contemporary zombie media is a social critique too, even if it rarely rises above the basic level of "turns out MAN is the greatest MONSTER of all!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
zombie stories are a lot of things because it's a super generic concept that has been applied a lot of times by a lot of people :shrug: