Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wow that random, unverifiable statement really proved your point, ace!

Its a shame we already have a warlord, else you'd be the prime candidate.

Now get out there and litigate me some dinner.

Litigate my bleached anus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
"I plead the fifth."

"Chris...what? I asked about the tanks we're developing, where's the pipeline?"

"Oh, oh right. Um, yeah, they go over on that terminal. Right."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Asking again that maybe we could at least have a short moratorium on lawsuit chat at this point? It is so boring. Like, unbelievably boring.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

thatguy posted:

God when you think about it Chris was literally set up for success at every turn and just pissed it away. He got the money, team, popularity, fandom, etc. needed to make a really sweet game and he's squandered it so methodically it's almost unbelievable.

fixed.

Not to dismiss the grueling work of the devs working under Chris' boot. I know reworking jackets, fake demos, etc doesn't help bring out the best work; but I've seen very little from any of these studios that make me think they were at all capable of delivering the game as pitched on kickstarter. 'the cheap labor must flow' appears to be their hiring mantra and imo it shows.

Mangoose posted:

quote:

Do you think guys like Montoya are going to be okay when Crytek responds with a document that makes it look like CIG is wrong in every possible way? Like... these guys know that right now each side is presenting their claims in the way that makes them sound as unerringly correct as possible, right?

Shhhh! They're so cute when they're dreaming!

Oh, look! That one is kicking! He probably thinks he's clipping through the floor

:five:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does crobberts hold US citizenship?

Can someone who isn't an American citizen defend themselves with the constitution?

Legal questions ITT

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Asking again that maybe we could at least have a short moratorium on lawsuit chat at this point? It is so boring. Like, unbelievably boring.

I made a chicken fried steak sandwich on sourdough with pepper jack, shredded lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, sliced garlic dill pickles and a sriracha mayo. I cannot wait for lunch.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

History Comes Inside! posted:

Can someone who isn't an American citizen defend themselves with the constitution?

Legal questions ITT

That depends on what you print the constitution...

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

tuo posted:

Don't get me started about cars I miss....my poor 540i and that awesome Pajero V6 *cries

e: I actually thought long and hard about a Tesla Model X, but I just couldn't let go off my X6, it's such a sturdy awesome beast with such an awesome and at the same time awful design (like it was designed by a twelve year old, in a good way)...I love that thing to death and decided to not let it go without a fight

I miss my Sub turbo xt (steering wheel column was fantastic, on the fly 4wd and airbags to raise the car up standard) and my MR-2. Loved that little rw drive, mid engine MR-2. In winter I never had to move the steering wheel to make turns. Downside was I had to ask for people to push me out of the snow a fair bit - as big as a go cart and just a fun little car.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Limoncello from Lake Garda or Guarda or however you spell it

Thought I was sober until I lay down, great loving stuff

That stuff is nectar of the gods.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Of course it's a cash grab, it's a cash grab for breach of contract. You can't have one without the other.

Crytek will be compensated for CIG breaching their contract.

You guys shout 'cash grab' in the hope that it will stop folks from thinking about CIG breaching their contract, without those breaches no cash grab would be possible.

Cause and effect, how the gently caress does it work.

CIG caused this, make no mistake about that.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Something Jones I think you are taking the lawsuit between two garbage companies composed of garbage people too seriously.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SomethingJones posted:

I'd bet however that the vast majority of gamers reading the gaming sites who cover this won't read past the headline before dropping a snarky comment and moving on, it's just that now there'll be a greater number doing so.

When this drama fades they'll be back to their few thousand whales and 12 streamers and still no game.

That's assuming they read gaming sites at all, that's why I continually see people asking about SC on reddit, when surely they should have a wealth of gaming site journalism to learn from, to say nothing of the astute and insightful comments from the wonderful SC community.

What makes this observation pertinent is the degree to which the case gets general attention from beyond the gaming world, and the longer and dirtier the case, the more likely that will be. Mentioning large sums of money, explosive discovery and a jury trial should help that along, even if it only gets as far as the general computer/internet sites.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Space court is serious loving business and I won't hear any tomfoolery about *reads the names of the two parties*

Consider my previous assertion [REDACTED]

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I think we can all agree that it's absolutely disgusting that Crytek would seek material compensation for a breach of contract when the high road, teaching a valuable lesson in honesty and doing the right thing, is just as accessible.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

I think we can all agree that it's absolutely disgusting that Crytek would seek material compensation for a breach of contract when the high road, teaching a valuable lesson in honesty and doing the right thing, is just as accessible.

A contract is a contract is a contract...but only between professionals! *rips up accord*

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

A contract is a contract is a contract...but only between professionals! *rips up accord*

Ortwin negotiating the Crytek GLA, 2011.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Thanks! The comments on that page...

code:
I fail to see how this is feature creep when Mining is a similarly complex and time consuming occupation...

I don't know if this is Feature creep......seems like the base mechanics are being thought out.

Sit down and breath dude, this is perfectly fine gameplay.

Very pleased by the serious gameplay implications of just being cabin crew on a Starliner.

drat, that's really in-depth gameplay!

I see a lot of whining here but this is the kind of thing that makes the universe thick, atmospheric and believable.

this is why Im a star citizen.
And my favorite:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Combat Theory posted:

Little know fact, the pajero isn't called pajero in Spain because it's a very nasty word for a gay prostitute.

I see somebody finally beat the Chevy Nova for most unmarketable car name in Spanish

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

History Comes Inside! posted:

Legal questions ITT

I think Roberts is boning up on the 5th.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why are any of us here?

to parp, or not parp, that is the question.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Sue me

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Preen Dog posted:

Please tell me that is official concept art.

This is, no joke, CIG’s early vision for a drink mixing mini-game that might engage those serving as Stewards on a fleet-whales Genesis Starliner. (I would include Stewardesses as a crew option but as we all know there are no female NPCs in the game yet.)

You see Preen Dog, if you’re a player chartering flights between the three moons of Stanton, and eager to sit in a luxurious cushioned seat for 20 minutes of “look out the window, it’s SPACE!” gameplay, you just might find yourself eventually hunkering for a little cocktail to help take the edge off. At such a moment, you’ll just crane your head upward, use the Star Citizen interaction system to “CALL STEWARD”, and another player will race seatside to take your order. If you’re both using Faceware tech, you can LARP at maximum fidelity levels as you, the weary traveling Cargo Carrier, tell him, the dandily outfitted Steward, “Man, I really need a drink to take the edge off.”

Then he will nod understandingly, wink knowingly, and reply sympathetically, “I have just the thing for a guy like you who needs to take the edge off.” Then he will turn, and move through Chris’s famed 5 stages of accelerating locomotion to the crew cabin. It is there he will engage in this game, and only with this context can you possibly appreciate just how vital such a mini-game will really be to the holistic ongoing adventure that is Chris Roberts’ Star Citizen.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
"I plead the 4th"

"the 4th? you mean the fifth right?"

"nope. the 4th. as in 4th stimpire"

*deskeletonization teams burst into the room*

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I'm confused: do we think CryTek does, or does not, have a strong case, here? I can't even come close to reading every post in here, but my skimming is showing a lot of people who seem to be coming to the conclusion that CIG is actually in the right. Is that correct, or did I just happen to skim the wrong posts, or what?

I don't have the legal expertise to have an informed opinion on the strength of the case, but I would be very surprised if there is not a massive amount of dirt to be found during discovery. I also suspect CryTek is doing this for more than purely monetary gain. CIG has poached their staff, slagged off their engine, made wild claims of how they've almost rebuilt the entire engine, turned a core marketing investment/partnership into a reputation loss, and the list goes on.

I really don't think this case can be thought about in simple of terms of right/wrong on contract details. This doesn't look like a carefully planned and executed siege to force a settlement. If the core is rotten, CryTek knows, and getting to discovery is enough to destroy CIG.

Story metaphor time: CryTek and Skadden are the longboats in the horizon. CIG and subsidiaries are holed up in their Anglo-Saxon castles. We have some knowledge of the disposition of forces, but it's limited and the full confrontation may even be prevented. We know CryTek have been starving in their boats, we know the mighty strength of the mercenary Skadden, but how strong are those castle walls and what defenders do they hold? Meanwhile everyone is debating whether catapults are good siege weapons. It's annoying and mostly irrelevant.

Are these the days of the ELE as prophesized by Derek Smart in his July Blog - or will it be two more weeks?
Will the Amazon Emperor show up to save the day?
Will Major Tom and his merry goons foil the Sheriff of Parpingham?
Can CIG afford to pay the CryGeld to the Turko-Teutonic attackers? Can mere gold satisfy this blood feud?
Is King Crobberts trying to work black magic with his outlandish gestures and strange speech?
Has Arch-Priest Lesnick been exiled or is he feverishly working to hide the sacred Wing Commander relics before the inevitable sack?
Is Ortwin a vampire or the tickler in black? Is he both?
What's up with the clowns everywhere?
Is Star Citizen good?
Is the princess in another castle?
Get a refund?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well let's bring out our exclusive contract and we can talk about it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baldness posted:

What are the odds that one of the biggest law firms in the world hosed up to this extent so soon ?

Fifty fifty.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Virtual Captain posted:

fixed.

Not to dismiss the grueling work of the devs working under Chris' boot. I know reworking jackets, fake demos, etc doesn't help bring out the best work; but I've seen very little from any of these studios that make me think they were at all capable of delivering the game as pitched on kickstarter. 'the cheap labor must flow' appears to be their hiring mantra and imo it shows.
Na, they had a decent team when they first started and if Chris hadn't been Chris they probably could have at least laid a solid foundation by now. Of course, most of them left years ago. Whatever they're trying to do now clearly isn't working.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
It's the 9th. Was there something happening today?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jonny Nox posted:

They just concluded their first round of talks in 2 years and agree the peninsula must remain peaceful.

ELE still doubtful.

This thread is as bad as :reddit: with the repeating of unverified hearsay as fact.
It's funny though.
So I'll allow it. Carry on.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Danknificent posted:

Yes. The one month countdown to something happening.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Danknificent posted:

Not for a whole nother month!

Prepare your anus for more ANAL posting!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Show us your not a lawyer butt.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

G0RF posted:

If you’re both using Faceware tech, you can LARP at maximum fidelity levels

I think the facecam thing is one the stupidest things to emerge out of this mess.

It’d be a stupid idea on a complete, well-made game, and then you have the CIG factor on top.

How often do you gaze at a characters face whilst playing a video game anyway? How does the other player know they’re being stared at and shoukd commence gurning? When do they know to cease gurning?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How often do you know you'll sell a few thousand overpriced webcams you'll get a cut of because idiot whales will buy anything with a CIG stamp on it?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AngusPodgorny posted:

I also think the adulation of Skadden / denigration of CIG's counsel (even though I can't remember their name) is overboard, because it's entirely possible that Skadden can end up losing to them. Or end up with a drastically reduced case because of over-reaching.

Back in December with their original suit, I honestly would've called that prediction quite implausible. But the part about over-reaching, sadly, seems more likely to me, now that they filed that amendment, in which they plan to prove CIG's willful intent to do this.

Like...proving that CIG is incompetent and in breach of their contracts because of it, that'd be a super easy sell even at a jury trial - no loving doubt about it. Proving them to do this with the intent of fraud or such, though, is something that might legit work against Skadden, when CIG presents its usual bumbling self and if they can get a jury to believe that: "Awww...look at em, they don't know what they're doing, they couldn't possibly have intended any of this!"

Which, honestly, isn't that unreasonable an argument to make. Then again, I don't understand lawsuit development really and am just looking for the laffs at the end of the day.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Mr.Tophat posted:

Are you unfamiliar with, "Do you have stairs in your house?"

It's a goon countersign.

Thanks to a few others i know the story now and can respond adequately "I am protected"

But yeah I didn't know it yet. Apart from this thread and the AI subforums and a few goldmine threads I'm still catching up with the legacy of SA.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

This thread is as bad as :reddit: with the repeating of unverified hearsay as fact.
It's funny though.
So I'll allow it. Carry on.

Do you know what hearsay is

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

Thanks to a few others i know the story now and can respond adequately "I am protected"

But yeah I didn't know it yet. Apart from this thread and the AI subforums and a few goldmine threads I'm still catching up with the legacy of SA.

Stop posting in this thread until you've fully read the SAclopedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phi230 posted:

Do you know what hearsay is

Do you have stairs in your house?