Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oh I get it, huh, yes that is exceptionally dumb :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wait wait wait, they're playing the dog killing thing completely straight? It would have been so loving easy to have his mother's desire to strangle the dog at that moment be so strong that he mistakes it for reality, it even ties in with the whole "having trouble separating himself from other people" or him misremembering things like they set up earlier

So since that memory's locked behind The BarrierTM alongside other stuff that seems true, either his memory's insanely unreliable and none of this really matters or everything behind The BarrierTM is actually 100% accurate and his mother is literally a cartoon villain capable of casually snapping a dog's neck with her bare hands.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think the writer might be extraordinarily stupid

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Even if he really wanted the mom to kill the dog why have her do it in such a ridiculous way? Is she a loving Bond villain?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The mom should have killed the dog with a sweet katana move to be even more ridiculous.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
And somehow, despite a complete lack of effort to hide them, Patrick's telepathic powers evaded detection.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Who What Now posted:

The mom should have killed the dog with a sweet katana move to be even more ridiculous.

That's just stupid. If we're going Bond villain she should have killed it with her teeth.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Emrikol posted:

And somehow, despite a complete lack of effort to hide them, Patrick's telepathic powers evaded detection.

If it wasn't for the electroshock therapy and Doctor which meant that he was in some institution that would have noted his condition, I would have argued that his powers are still the easiest to hide. Especially if it was his parent managing it's usage you can't really tell that he's reading minds if he doesn't tell you he's doing it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

What did any of this have to do with the professor again?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Nothing, Allison was just being a dummy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We did see the Prof meandering around this mind fortress so... no clue.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sorry, but that might be interesting and not "Its a small world with privileged rear end in a top hat idea of what child abuse is"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Would you rather focus on the idea that there is a mind-jacking individual replacing people within society as well as rooting around the head of a telepath who routinely sits in on sessions of Congress and has untold secrets tucked away in his mental vault. Or would you rather watch a dog get choked out by a shadowed figure while an 8yo boy talks to a grown woman on a really hosed up version of "It's a small world"?

Think about how boring that would be to have an actual plot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brought To You By posted:

Would you rather focus on the idea that there is a mind-jacking individual replacing people within society as well as rooting around the head of a telepath who routinely sits in on sessions of Congress and has untold secrets tucked away in his mental vault. Or would you rather watch a dog get choked out by a shadowed figure while an 8yo boy talks to a grown woman on a really hosed up version of "It's a small world"?

Think about how boring that would be to have an actual plot.

Is it too late to kill myself and not do either?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

she buries alison in the woods.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm sure everybody's going to gush about the eventual payoff of mommy getting stabbed. :jerkbag:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Lmao didn't she have somewhere to loving go? Stick the dog body in the freezer and do it when you get home

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

sweeperbravo posted:

Lmao didn't she have somewhere to loving go? Stick the dog body in the freezer and do it when you get home

The woods is on the way to the party, drop the kid off w/ the shovel and pick him up on the way back. Kids love digging, funerals.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"I had to bury my dog in the woods once cause my mom was terrible and that is why i am a bad guy."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Reminder where this is going and also wow the art style has drifted a lot even since the beginning of the chapter :stare:

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah he is definitely stabbing mommy with a knife next page

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I feel like she's gonna try and kill him, not bury the dog.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She's actually planning to bury Patrick.

Why is baby Patrick regaling her with lengthy tales of child abuse, and why is Alison just lazing around feeling sorry when she's got a deadline and not one, but TWO mysteries to track down? She was so determined to just let Patrick die before, are her morals really so shallow that she'll just turn on all her convictions after a sob story?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Baby Patrick is going to start another moral philosophy debate. This chapter is going to continue for 500 pages.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

'Dog killing' scene: Patrick in blue shirt, Mother talking about being on the way to a party (something that requires tickets) outside of the house.
'Dinner' scene: Patrick in red sweater, family eating meal at home.

Conclusion 1: These are different days
Conclusion 2: If she's going to bury the dog now, it would probably be pretty pungent.

The question is what bad writing we'll get:

A) She waited a while to bury the dog, and is burying it far away from the house for no reason other than so the story has more trauma for Patrick.
B) She's become scared of Patrick and is taking him someone to kill him and bury him. Patrick is not reacting because he's emotionally closed himself off.
C) Father freaked the gently caress out and Mother killed him off screen in what will be revealed as a HUGE TWIST. Patrick knew it would happen, but didn't give a gently caress and just waited in the car.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Okay I stuck it out through a lot because I really liked this comic at the start but

I think I might give up on this now. I don't think I can take too much more of this.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Either she's burying the dog that she stuck in the freezer or she's burying her ill-gotten money laundering gains.

SlothfulCobra posted:

She's actually planning to bury Patrick.

Why is baby Patrick regaling her with lengthy tales of child abuse, and why is Alison just lazing around feeling sorry when she's got a deadline and not one, but TWO mysteries to track down? She was so determined to just let Patrick die before, are her morals really so shallow that she'll just turn on all her convictions after a sob story?

Reliving Patrick's entire childhood is the fastest way out of the banished memories. It's implausible, but whatever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xinder posted:

Okay I stuck it out through a lot because I really liked this comic at the start but

I think I might give up on this now. I don't think I can take too much more of this.

Are you kidding me? This has become so bad it's incredible.

I can't stop now!

Realistically I should have stopped when it was bad and incredibly boring.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If 100 pages of amateur philosophy hour didn't shake you off this mangy dog's butt nothing will.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I really don't understand what this page does, other than move characters around physically in an EXPLICITLY UNREAL AND NON-PHYSICAL DREAMSCAPE.
Like, there's not really much emotional punch to "Allison forgot that she's in a memory and thinks she can comfort the representation of the abusive childhood of someone she has currently written off as a doomed derelict of a human being."
The only way I see this page serving a purpose is if your entire aesthetic is such shallow 'sympathy' that the canned 'it'll get better' 'no it won't' dialogue to show how burdened this child is can somehow still have impact when nobody involved doesn't know what the actual endgame is.
And it's frustratingly the case that, like, this could be OK! Have Allison explicitly going "...I'd say, this will turn out ok, but... it didn't, or you wouldn't have shown up like you did" or some other recognition that this is just a shadow play. Not amazing, but it helps set these scenes in context, even as they still serve no overall purpose other than Tragic Backstory Formalism.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Allison can't punch the mom through the roof of the car and into another zip code so she's useless.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xinder posted:

I said the same thing a year or so ago and here I still am. Taking a break is fine but you'll be back, we all eventually come back.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I really don't understand what this page does, other than move characters around physically in an EXPLICITLY UNREAL AND NON-PHYSICAL DREAMSCAPE.
Like, there's not really much emotional punch to "Allison forgot that she's in a memory and thinks she can comfort the representation of the abusive childhood of someone she has currently written off as a doomed derelict of a human being."
The only way I see this page serving a purpose is if your entire aesthetic is such shallow 'sympathy' that the canned 'it'll get better' 'no it won't' dialogue to show how burdened this child is can somehow still have impact when nobody involved doesn't know what the actual endgame is.
And it's frustratingly the case that, like, this could be OK! Have Allison explicitly going "...I'd say, this will turn out ok, but... it didn't, or you wouldn't have shown up like you did" or some other recognition that this is just a shadow play. Not amazing, but it helps set these scenes in context, even as they still serve no overall purpose other than Tragic Backstory Formalism.

This whole scenario is just a series of singular pages trying to rely on pre-existing tropes and Cliche's, stitched together to try and get an emotional reaction from the reader.
  • Child sees kid bullied on playground. The girl is being stood over by the domineering boy
  • Child is given electro shock therapy, tears streaming down his eyes. Why don't his parents stop this? This is borderline torture
  • Child reveals that not only will the torture continue, but that his doctor is a pedophile. He is slapped for his comments
  • The Large One has clearly been reading too much JoJo's bizarre adventure and decided to do to the family dog, what Araki does to all dogs.
  • The Old One is embezzeling money, the father is impotent
  • The Mother is now taking Patrick on a ride. Either to bury the dog, or bury Patrick. Maybe both.
  • At some point she'll be stabbed presumably by Patrick himself. Completing the sequence of events that led to the creation of this mental Filter he's created
As a series of raw bullet points, it's hamfisted drama but could work. But I have this thing about authors "earning" their moments as well as this notion of "timing" when presenting a story. We're running through his childhood trauma and using the strongest possible imagery that this author is capable of depicting to try and force some sympathy onto a character that up until this point, was positively a sociopath who at best, only truly cared about Allison. It's just shoving TRAGEDY down the throats of the reader while we lead up to some luke-warm revelation that "Patrick wasn't so bad, he had a hard childhood" or something similar.

I really miss the old comics. It wasn't great writing but it had a little respect for it's idea.

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
stupid rear end comic

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm getting more joy out of watching this comic implode than i ever did out of cad

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

It really doesn't help that just a few pages ago, the characters (Patrick's headpeople) just rubbed the reader's nose in the fact that they're not actually characters at all, very literally.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yup!
I actually sort of like 'journey into the mind' stuff, mostly in tabletop RPGs or other interactive media. It's a fun way of interrogating a character concept, and the sort of 'we're just representations' conceit means you can have a sort of mild breaking of the fourth wall.
But then the stakes have to be understood: Purely emotional, intellectual stakes, where the physical events within the mind are purely representative of emotional events.
I don't know what the Anima threatening the Memory is supposed to represent, and "I don't feel like a symbol!" has absolutely no value except as a bad joke. These are just people in costumes, not ideas pretending to be people.

Then again, that's a basic issue with this comic now. The characters seem to be meant to portray people, rather than ideological conversations, which is where the comic somewhat shone - when Allison's metaphorical meaning was relatively clear and her conflicts were about trying to transcend the basic limitations of Captain Privilege the Invulnerable.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I liked evil wizard Patrick the best. It's about time one of those robots showed up again.

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
my mind is split into male me, who's hyper-competent and gets things done and has a big veiny dick, and female me, who has twelve breasts and expels a constant stream of fist-sized babies that are born with teeth and deep manly voices and whom i can gather into an army to swarm and devour my enemies

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
seriously though. if your reading audience isn't under-12s (and i am assured that sfp is a serious adult comic, for adults) there is no reason to do a mindscape story if you're not going to make it a phantasmagorical psychosexual hell dimension. i'd be more sympathetic to patrick if they revealed his primary issue was a raging oedipus complex or something rather than this hackneyed bullshit, and it'd be much more fun to read and probably to illustrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Please keep a low profile this time friend :ohdear:

e:

Donald J Trump posted:

my mind is split into male me, who's hyper-competent and gets things done and has a big veiny dick, and female me, who has twelve breasts and expels a constant stream of fist-sized babies that are born with teeth and deep manly voices and whom i can gather into an army to swarm and devour my enemies

because, for example, I would read the gently caress out of this comic

• Locked thread