Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/950755389557141510

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/950735378327142401

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

Owning cats honestly sounds like hell any time anybody posts about it and I honestly don't know why people do it. But I appreciate that they do because of the videos they produce.

I would like to know more about this because owning a cat for me has so far been pretty awesome, because we just chill out all the time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's vintage schadenfreude. The article quoted is from 2002.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I do believe trash has been ruled to be "out in the open" so you don't need a warrant to search.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

You know what? Never bathe a cat. If they get into something gross, hit them with the hose and that's it. But otherwise....yeah, never the gently caress mind.

The cat I had when I was married would just sit there and sulk when you bathed her. (Had to bathe her periodically to deal with my allergies. I only got it to make the ex-wife happy.)

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

SpacePig posted:

Owning cats honestly sounds like hell any time anybody posts about it and I honestly don't know why people do it. But I appreciate that they do because of the videos they produce.
most of it arises from the owners being clueless about what their cat's feeling and antagonizing the cat, leading to a cat that appears to flip it's poo poo in the space of a few seconds when the owner pushes it too far.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

SpacePig posted:

It's just the toxoplasmosis talking through us.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Elizabethan Error posted:

most of it arises from the owners being clueless about what their cat's feeling and antagonizing the cat, leading to a cat that appears to flip it's poo poo in the space of a few seconds when the owner pushes it too far.

That might honestly be my problem, too. Like, normally I'm OK with cats, and can interact with them for a little while, but I honestly don't know how to read a cat's mood like I can a dog's and I end up chasing it off. If I kept doing what I was doing and didn't let it go, I wouldn't blame it for attacking me like they do to some people. Dogs wouldn't be any different, I guess, but I know how to deal with dogs.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
If the cat is acting like it wants left alone, leave it the gently caress alone.

That's seriously the easiest thing to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend had a super cool cat, was a giant Siamese and it didn't mind getting a bath at all. Would just sort of bear it for a while but it you went on too long it would lose its cool and just start to howl. It sounded like a hurt and confused "WHYYYYYYY" It only needed baths later in life though when it wasn't cleaning as much and actually got sticky stuff caught in its fur. Normally cats are self-cleaning!

I've known weirdos with indoor cats that they bathe like once a month. Why?? They're not getting outside and rolling in mystery sticky stuff. Just some "humans need to bathe so my fur babies do too!" mentality ? They loving hated it too. I'd come over and one of them would have some scratch across the nose or arm and the cats who were normally friendly would be nowhere to be seen. "Oh yesterday was the cats bath day, they usually don't come out for a couple days after that"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I hate dumbass self centered cats and I hate this conversation

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

SpacePig posted:

That might honestly be my problem, too. Like, normally I'm OK with cats, and can interact with them for a little while, but I honestly don't know how to read a cat's mood like I can a dog's and I end up chasing it off. If I kept doing what I was doing and didn't let it go, I wouldn't blame it for attacking me like they do to some people. Dogs wouldn't be any different, I guess, but I know how to deal with dogs.

We've bred dogs enough that we can read them and vice versa. Cats tend to be almost the opposite of dogs, so that throws a lot of people off. Generally acting like you loving hate the sight of a cat and wish it would leave you alone is cat language for "you're alright, let's hang out and be buds."

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

SpacePig posted:

The ears and the tails are the primary way to tell a cat's mood. a common mistake(at least ime) is that people see a cat wagging its tail like a dog would(= the cat's annoyed) and thinking 'hey that means we're cool" and then it's all claws and hissyfits.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Huntersoninski posted:

We've bred dogs enough that we can read them and vice versa. Cats tend to be almost the opposite of dogs, so that throws a lot of people off. Generally acting like you loving hate the sight of a cat and wish it would leave you alone is cat language for "you're alright, let's hang out and be buds."

Yup, this is why you always see people going " I don't understand why I hate loving cats but they always flock to me"

Some Catenfreude: I have one of those scented wax warmer things on my counter, my one cat decided she was going to hop up on said counter even though she knows she's not allowed, and dipped her long rear end fluffy tail into hot wax.

Thankfully it didn't harm her, but we didn't notice it until it solidified and got a pure look of hatred from the cat. She now has a small bald spot from having to cut it out.

That's what you get dumbass.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SpacePig posted:

Same, but with birds

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The ideal bird pet is a befriended neighborhood crow

I hope to build cred among crows one day

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

swordfish duelist posted:

Yup, this is why you always see people going " I don't understand why I hate loving cats but they always flock to me"

Or "I'm so allergic to cats, why do they always seem to single me out??"

hawowanlawow posted:

I feel the very same way.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

i saw a cat once

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Trig Discipline posted:

Also if anyone out there hasn't seen this, you should.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/the-confessions/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Don't be smug, don't be combative, but never verbally give in to such things. let them insist you hand over the keys or whatever, and say you don't consent to search but are following orders. and most importantly, never say anything more than you need to, cause you WILL implicate yourself even if you are innocent.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Samuringa posted:

Same, but with birds

Bird owner AND crow friend schadenfreude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHa-T81v4wo

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

iospace posted:

I do believe trash has been ruled to be "out in the open" so you don't need a warrant to search.

Yep, though it does make a difference where the trash is physically located. On the boulevard ready for pickup is public. Up the driveway next to your garage is private property so trespassing rules apply.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

hawowanlawow posted:

I want to meet a crow like Canuck one day. He seems pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJQS-JTwJAw

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

You know what? Never bathe a cat. If they get into something gross, hit them with the hose and that's it. But otherwise....yeah, never the gently caress mind.
My cat got straight hosed by a skunk and tore through the cat door and upstairs. A few seconds later the smell caught up. I’ve got a very pissed off cat that needs a bath. I grabbed some cans of tomatoes (i think tomato juice helps?) and dragged the screaming demon to the tub as it ripped my nipple flesh off by the pawfull.

The bright side was how loving stupid he looked matted flat with tomato juice and whole peeled tomatoes. My arms looked like I had been murdered for a month.

That is the one time I succeeded in bathing a cat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My mom's been feeding the same family of crows all her life and they still startle when she throws food. I always told her it's because the food in never conditional on them trusting her more, she throws, closes the door, and they come down to eat, so there's no reason for them to be brave. She's always been a bit hurt they never "learned to trust her" despite feeding them for so long. I just moved into a new apartment and I guess the previous people made good friends with the crows here because I had some old cheese I was getting rid of and one just landed on the window and happily took it from my hand. I think my mom's jealous.

Crows are really good and cool.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

SLOSifl posted:

My cat got straight hosed by a skunk and tore through the cat door and upstairs. A few seconds later the smell caught up. I’ve got a very pissed off cat that needs a bath. I grabbed some cans of tomatoes (i think tomato juice helps?) and dragged the screaming demon to the tub as it ripped my nipple flesh off by the pawfull.

The bright side was how loving stupid he looked matted flat with tomato juice and whole peeled tomatoes. My arms looked like I had been murdered for a month.

Nice, going the Mythbusters way of curing skunk smell. I hope you didn't contract toxoplasmosis through your open sores :toxogond:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SpacePig posted:

Some cat behaviors also seem like traps to the unaware. Like showing you their tummy! That doesn't mean "pet my tummy" (unless it's specific cats who like that), it means "I am comfortable around you." Scritch the chin instead of petting the tummy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SLOSifl posted:

"succeeded"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah exactly.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

Some cat behaviors also seem like traps to the unaware. Like showing you their tummy! That doesn't mean "pet my tummy" (unless it's specific cats who like that), it means "I am comfortable around you." Scritch the chin instead of petting the tummy.

counterpoint: had a cat who LOVED belly rubs, occasionally he wanted to play-bite but I'd just stop the rubs, so he learnt to stop with the biting. He'd stretch and do jazz paws :kimchi:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ewe2 posted:

counterpoint: had a cat who LOVED belly rubs, occasionally he wanted to play-bite but I'd just stop the rubs, so he learnt to stop with the biting. He'd stretch and do jazz paws :kimchi:

mine likes it too for some reason, and it makes her stretch out real long. i figured she was adopted as a kitten along with a puppy or something but then got sent back to the shelter

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ewe2 posted:

The same cat who dipped her tail in the wax loves belly rubs. She'll jump up on the couch. Roll on her back and grab your hand with her paws until you give rubs.

It's funny because we found her in our yard with kittens. So we brought her in out of the weather and she just fell right in with the crowd. We kept her and one of the babies. Got her fixed of course but she is such the sweetest cat, almost like she appreciates us taking her in.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

swordfish duelist posted:

The same cat who dipped her tail in the wax loves belly rubs. She'll jump up on the couch. Roll on her back and grab your hand with her paws until you give rubs.

It's funny because we found her in our yard with kittens. So we brought her in out of the weather and she just fell right in with the crowd. We kept her and one of the babies. Got her fixed of course but she is such the sweetest cat, almost like she appreciates us taking her in.

My little dude is a rescue cat, and he never seems to take me for granted. He's a right proper bootlicker, he is.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/v4MOACc.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The schadenfreude is that I don't have that dog.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Someone was repeatedly singing the pig verse (complete with oinking) in the same area last year - I'd assume it's the same guy and he's just got bored of singing.

Bloody stupid they're still using analogue radios.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

dissss posted:

Someone was repeatedly singing the pig verse (complete with oinking) in the same area last year - I'd assume it's the same guy and he's just got bored of singing.

Bloody stupid they're still using analogue radios.

I got a scanner app and its nuts how much unencrypted stuff goes over the wire. Social security numbers and stuff. I always like when I hear the "call blah blah on their cell phone" thats when you know some shady poo poo is going down.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

KoRMaK posted:

I got a scanner app and its nuts how much unencrypted stuff goes over the wire. Social security numbers and stuff. I always like when I hear the "call blah blah on their cell phone" thats when you know some shady poo poo is going down.

They often don’t get good radio reception in places and have to use their cell phones.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

our cat is a lazy 20lb gently caress who just oozes about and won't care what you do so long as you're not actively antagonizing him. I think us having three kids just broke his will to resist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

They often don’t get good radio reception in places and have to use their cell phones.

Oh thank goodness that it's for completely innocent reasons