Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

why don't they make a metroid RPG? it could be nintendo's mass effect (i liked andromeda and i'm mad at nerds for memeing it into hatred :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

:yeah:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Studio posted:

Someone post a pic of the couch, thanks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

why don't they make a metroid RPG? it could be nintendo's mass effect (i liked andromeda and i'm mad at nerds for memeing it into hatred :( )

Because anything that involves Samus talking results in the writers going Other M

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mechanic: somebody set up us the bomb.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

id watch this metroid

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

has samus ever actually successfully collected a bounty on someone

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Ramos posted:

Careful what you wish for, Deviant Art can get you some really swole Samuses.

you weren't kidding :nws:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

It takes like 10 of these loving chumps just to arrest her, and her hair is still perfect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I feel bad for all the other bounty hunters who get corrupted and die

I just wanted to be friends :(

They deserved to die. Especially in MP:Hunters

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

youve cured me of the eroge

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yes if you take a welder to working electronics they won't work any more

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

has samus ever actually successfully collected a bounty on someone

Yes, she caught a baby metroid once.

Once.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

what's funny about that $1337 donation is that like, leetspeek has got to be essentially a cargo cult style thing for the current nerd zeitgeist right? I'm 30 and we've got a 22 year old in our board gaming group who only knows 1337 jokes because of us olds, without ever living in an era where it was unironic

kids recognize floppy disks as 'the save icon' but know nothing else about them beyond that

gettin old, man

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
aren't you supposed to stand up when playing the wii? is this cheating?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CATS: All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make youre time.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dont understand how nintendo made the prime games look so good for the hardware they're on

Apologies for the late reply, but as I understand it since both the Gamecube and Wii couldn't quite cram in the kind of textures and polygon counts the other consoles of the time could, there is rather a lot of geometry in any single room or locale so that the games consistently look populated and non-empty despite the relatively low-detail textures. You can take pretty much any location in any of the games and there'll be tubes, pipes and cables running every which way, shifting slopes in walls and ceilings, places where the decor has cracked from age and so on and so forth. These details are usually pretty simple on their own but there's a lot of them in any given scene. The visual/art direction is absolutely on point, and the designers used this to cover up and distract from the weak points of the platforms the games ran on.

Incidentally, this is also why the Prime games still look pretty good if you run them in higher resolution in an emulator, whereas many of its contemporaries look rather a lot more dated, relying as they often were on for the time high-resolution textures.

Have an example, Metroid Prime in 4k: https://imgur.com/a/Oidnn

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

It takes like 10 of these loving chumps just to arrest her, and her hair is still perfect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Because anything that involves Samus talking results in the writers going Other M

X sqwak angrily
Y cluck
A Sqwak surprised

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

what you're missing here is that the voice you're hearing 80% of the time is not pictured, he is offscreen to the far right

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

kids recognize floppy disks as 'the save icon' but know nothing else about them beyond that

gettin old, man

who doesn't like having a 3d-printed save icon as an ironic decoration somewhere

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nohman posted:

Samus is probably the boringest character on the planet that people get all up in arms about the portrayal of regularly. I cannot believe Other M ruined the characterization of a power armored space marine who stripped down to her underwear to show off some anime titties if you beat the game fast enough.

Aloof, heroic women are annoyingly rare in media, so it's nice to see a woman that's allowed to be the strong-but-silent type. Just because it's a simple character doesn't mean it isn't good.

Other M threw all that in the garbage to turn her into the same exact action-grrl-but-wait-she's-secretly-emotionally-vulnerable-also-motherhood-overtones we've seen a billion times before.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quotey posted:

aren't you supposed to stand up when playing the wii? is this cheating?

I don't know how she hasn't broken a nearby vase by now

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

he's not really wrong, all the cool samus stuff is fan art or barely not fan art

hey realtalk she was very cool in the minds and imaginations of kids growing up in the 90s

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
does samus' ship just have the loving metroid prime corruption title card on it

did I see that right

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So what's going on

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
okay i have to go to a mandatory 4 hour training session wherein i listen to customers bitch and moan on the phone instead of being able to watch video gams, my only consolation is that i skip the rest of this lovely run

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Waffles Inc. posted:

as a die-hard mass effect enjoyer, andromeda was bad at best :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

okay i have to go to a mandatory 4 hour training session wherein i listen to customers bitch and moan on the phone instead of being able to watch video gams, my only consolation is that i skip the rest of this lovely run

goondolences OP

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TeaJay posted:

So what's going on

Just watching a speedrun to 100% scoliosis.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Your Computer posted:

hey realtalk she was very cool in the minds and imaginations of kids growing up in the 90s

i mean sure, i like the fake version of samus i made up too but nintendo doesn't care and it appears that it was never the intent for the character because they're bad

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ElNarez posted:

did I see that right

They're unlockable decorations for the ship you can get. It's bonus stuff you can turn on that carries to all files I think.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Samus has bionic hearing. Does this ever come up again? Maybe it's like those old Superman comics where he just magically has Super Ventriloquism or Super Basket Weaving for like one panel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Majuju posted:

as a die-hard mass effect enjoyer, andromeda was bad at best :(

Imagine if it had remotely delivered on the premise of the first cutscene of the game in a focused manner.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

ElNarez posted:

did I see that right

mario also tagged the bottom of her ship i think, i saw it like 20 times during the out of bounds setup

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Barudak posted:

Imagine if it had remotely delivered on the premise of the first cutscene of the game in a focused manner.

Don't do this to me. Ah, the things that could have been.

Then again I should have known, given EA...

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

i mean sure, i like the fake version of samus i made up too but nintendo doesn't care and it appears that it was never the intent for the character because they're bad

death of the author is a wonderful thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
can't help hearing poo poo missiles

• Locked thread