Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
What are sync kills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

bman in 2288 posted:

What are sync kills?

Within the context of videogames, it's when two characters enter into a single animation where one of them kills the other, the executions in the new Doom game are Sync Kills, for instance. Within the context of ME3 there are 3 or 4 enemies that have instant kill attacks that work regardless of your current health/shields and in Multiplayer you automatically bleed out after a Sync Kill and can't be rezzed until that round is over.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I hope those attacks have gigantic windup, then, because that's kind of rude to the player.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

I hope those attacks have gigantic windup, then, because that's kind of rude to the player.

When it happened to me, the enemy was close enough to hit me once, then activate the synch kill

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

They're all Melee attacks and have tells, but that's not much comfort to the classes that deal the majority of their damage in melee range. They're also based off of your position on the host's game, not your own, so sometimes you'll get force pulled off a ladder to your doom if you had a lag spike. Also one of them is very good at flanking and teleporting behind you. It's an incentive to stay on the move and guard each others back.

Still annoying when you're playing a Krogan Warlord and get ripped in half because you don't have immunity like the other massive characters do.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

Nope, if you are close enough for a melee attack then you are close enough to get an unavoidable instadeath.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
In theory, they keep the threatening enemies threatening no matter how strong you are as a player, but in practice it makes some normally effective strategies suicide, no matter how quickly you should be able to kill that enemy

On easy or bronze, where you can kill an ATLAS by sneezing, it's acceptable. But for insanity and platinum, they make bullet sponge enemies into death machines

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

chiasaur11 posted:

Considering the comparative achievements of the turian and human militaries so far, that might not be the best approach.

As bad as the Heirarchy is getting its rear end kicked, it at least managed to cost the Reapers a couple of capital ships in trade. Earth did not exactly manage that bargain.

In canon the Turian military has the largest fleet by a significant margin. Edit: Military fleet, sorry, Quarians have a bigger fleet overall.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 9, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My only regret in dealing with the turian counselor before he sends you to Palaven is that you can't go "Reapers? I thought you dismissed those claims?"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sylphosaurus posted:

Nope, if you are close enough for a melee attack then you are close enough to get an unavoidable instadeath.
Eh, they are avoidable if you know what you're doing since they all have tells. Or if you're not on the same level like stairs or ramps. They're certainly a hazard as a vanguard, but then you get to vanguard so it's a fair tradeoff in my book.

Kurieg posted:

My only regret in dealing with the turian counselor before he sends you to Palaven is that you can't go "Reapers? I thought you dismissed those claims?"
I know, right?! I'm still salty about that all these years later. I wanted to do it with airquotes too. :turianass:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I hated the spoilered enemy in multiplayer, those shiteating fucks got me nearly every time.
I am probably bad at video games, but still.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mr. Freeze

MP video #2. I'm playing as a Paladin who is fun as hell and also very good on all difficulties. You have cryo/fire and shield drain. It's extremely easy to set up and detonate your own combos here, which is where Andromeda's MP fell the gently caress down. Only a couple of the characters there can do this so you have to wait/hope one of your teammates will synergize with what you're doing and it generally doesn't work out much. The Paladin's cryo blast goes through solid objects as well so you can hide behind a wall and spray things down, then pop out of cover and explode them.

Aces is running a variant vanguard that has a hand cannon which is fantastic AoE and stagger, plus his heavy melee decapitates enemies :black101: I generally avoid using vanguards above silver as the number of enemies that sync kill increase exponentially and it gets too hazardous. KC is running the default human biotic, which was really poopy at launch but got patched later on and is now also good on all difficulties.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Speaking of multiplayer patches, I love how when we got the Cerberus defectors as multiplayer characters, they weren't actual enemies in any game yet. Shame they patched out that room, but there's a crate on that level that looks like an orange tinted oil rig that you can hide in with a volus that also guarantees a plat win

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
When plat was first a thing I remember everyone would just hunker down in a small area and abuse the spawns or chokepoints. You had Firebase White and the basement (for a long time it was impossible to find a plat match on any other map), Glacier with the now-closed room, Rio with the Box of Shame. Then they tweaked some of the maps, added new enemies like the Dragoons and Bombers and people were actually forced to play. Funny thing, turns out plat is totally doable on an open map as long as people aren't morons. I think the preferred is still Giant - it's the one I did my gold solos on for BotB as you do have a reliable way to funnel enemies in and escape routes when it all goes to poo poo (it will always go to poo poo) but at least it's not hiding in a box or crouching behind cover for 40 minutes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mooning about

Off to find the Primarch. Meet an old friend and a couple new enemies. Out of brutes and marauders, the latter is way more dangerous since they can pick you off at range. There's a stupid turret section; they decided to shoehorn these in at the worst times. It's baffling from a gameplay perspective, you have the best combat of the series and instead you're stuck shooting (literal) cannon fodder enemies for extended periods. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to be punched in the dick.

When we find our man he asks us to get the Krogans on board. Good thing we know a guy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Mooning about

Off to find the Primarch. Meet an old friend and a couple new enemies. Out of brutes and marauders, the latter is way more dangerous since they can pick you off at range. There's a stupid turret section; they decided to shoehorn these in at the worst times. It's baffling from a gameplay perspective, you have the best combat of the series and instead you're stuck shooting (literal) cannon fodder enemies for extended periods. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to be punched in the dick.

When we find our man he asks us to get the Krogans on board. Good thing we know a guy.

Yeah. Certainly is a good thing that Thax Vorak owes Shepard a favor. Don't know where to find him, though.

Maybe we could ask Wrex.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love that the different races are still making GBS threads on each other at a time like this, so cool.
Were you going go be hitting Andromeda after this one?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Those marauders are real sons of bitches, they're the true evil. Them and their shields will haunt this game forever

Really, the more critically I'm viewing this game, the more I realize that I'm grumpy and just want to play KOTOR 1&2 with ME3's gameplay and ME1's of combat balance

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That camp fight at the end was so chaotic I couldn't tell what was going on or where the enemies were (enemies everywhere!?). The pinballing isn't actually confusing strangely enough. But those awful one liners "turn up the heat".
:ughh:

So, will the Krogan only fight if the Asari does? And the Asari will only fight if the Salarians help? And the Salarians will only bother if the Volus aids? And the Volus won't do anything unless the Elchor lend a hand? Gleefully: The Elchor will only support if the Quarians do. And the Quarians won't even turn a spacebucket if not the Vorcha are in as well. And so on and on.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dreadwroth posted:

I love that the different races are still making GBS threads on each other at a time like this, so cool.
Were you going go be hitting Andromeda after this one?
I might get to Andromeda at some point, but I'd like to do a non-Bioware game next. Not like there's a rush to LP it :v:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Poil posted:

So, will the Krogan only fight if the Asari does? And the Asari will only fight if the Salarians help? And the Salarians will only bother if the Volus aids? And the Volus won't do anything unless the Elchor lend a hand? Gleefully: The Elchor will only support if the Quarians do. And the Quarians won't even turn a spacebucket if not the Vorcha are in as well. And so on and on.

Just like in real life, everybody is a petty jackass. Well, everybody except for Commander Butts. She's more violent than petty.

I also do appreciate (not really) that the game takes big pauses in the middle of this desperate combat mission to vomit exposition at you.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 16, 2018

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

grack posted:

Just like in real life, everybody is a petty jackass. Well, everybody except for Commander Butts. She's more violent than petty.

I also do appreciate (not really) that the game takes big pauses in the middle of this desperate combat mission to vomit exposition at you.
You can blame EA corporate for that, I'm guessing, as well as for the default renegade gamestate. "Oh poo poo, did no one play the first two games? This third game is gonna be huge, gotta make sure it's ACCESSIBLE AS gently caress"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only explicitly Renegade development is the dead Rachni Queen, isn't it? As far as I'm aware, every other default option is quests being skipped or failed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The only explicitly Renegade development is the dead Rachni Queen, isn't it? As far as I'm aware, every other default option is quests being skipped or failed.

It's not exactly the same, but Wrex being dead or alive. You can choose to have Ashley shoot him, even if you could pass the speech check.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Destroying Maelon's genophage research is renegade.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Dreadwroth posted:

After the end of the video, I was all "gently caress the Asari"

Humanity had better as hell be in control of the galaxy after this, no one else seems to be doing poo poo to fight the Reapers. "Oh no, our allies are under attack! Sucks to be them!" followed by "OH NOES, why is no one helping us?!?"

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Asari are generally kind of assholes most of the time, they're kind of the Fairie Court of Mass Effect.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
The problem I have with the Asari is that whenever someone in game talks about them, you can just *feel* someone at Bioware jerking off. Like at one point Shepard says something to the effect of "The Asari are among the most intelligent, powerful species in the galaxy" and s/he just sounds so BAFFLED that you could ever think otherwise and it's like...That's fanfiction levels of writing.

I really wasn't happy that there were basically two Asari teammates in Andromeda, but then Peebee made it clear that she didn't buy Asari bullshit and I was happy again.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Javik will take great pleasure in making GBS threads all over the Asari (and everybody else) over the course of the game, have no fear

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fire Storm posted:

After the end of the video, I was all "gently caress the Asari"

Humanity had better as hell be in control of the galaxy after this, no one else seems to be doing poo poo to fight the Reapers. "Oh no, our allies are under attack! Sucks to be them!" followed by "OH NOES, why is no one helping us?!?"

The turians behave reasonably, I think.

"Yeah, you're in the poo poo. Guess what? Things suck for us too. Bail us out enough we have a free hand, and we'll give you all the help you need."

Not exactly what Shepard wanted, but wanting to secure your own airmask before helping anyone else is pretty standard procedure.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Takezio posted:

The problem I have with the Asari is that whenever someone in game talks about them, you can just *feel* someone at Bioware jerking off. Like at one point Shepard says something to the effect of "The Asari are among the most intelligent, powerful species in the galaxy" and s/he just sounds so BAFFLED that you could ever think otherwise and it's like...That's fanfiction levels of writing.

There's a lot of this. A *lot* of this. Just wait 'til we get to Omega and Kai Leng.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dreadwroth posted:

The Asari are generally kind of assholes most of the time, they're kind of the Fairie Court of Mass Effect.

Fey blue space lesbians.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Was it ME2 where it's implies that they have some sort of ability to always look as good as possible to every species, since they reproduce with all species? I like the implication that they're a cosmic DNA parasite that has just kind of tricked everyone into loving their presence

chiasaur11 posted:

The turians behave reasonably, I think.

"Yeah, you're in the poo poo. Guess what? Things suck for us too. Bail us out enough we have a free hand, and we'll give you all the help you need."

Not exactly what Shepard wanted, but wanting to secure your own airmask before helping anyone else is pretty standard procedure.

And Shepard should know the importance of a sealed air mask

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, it comes up when you can stumble across a bachelor’s party with a stripper on... Thessia, I think? It’s three different races, and they all realize that they’re finding themselves subconsciously attracted to different aspects of the Asari’s body.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, it comes up when you can stumble across a bachelor’s party with a stripper on... Thessia, I think? It’s three different races, and they all realize that they’re finding themselves subconsciously attracted to different aspects of the Asari’s body.

It's in the bar where you find Conrad.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Im sad they missed the opportunity to make the Asari like totally alien asexual space elfs, showing the player what they really look like and having everyone act like theyr'e these sexy space babes. But they are really these like tentacle covered blue *things*.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
Well, unless they've just literally adapted the entire species since they've met all the other races of the Galaxy. Good thing for them that between the Turians and the Salarians they've got almost everything they need for humans entering their sense of sexuality. It would be cool if there was a psychosomatic effect of the Asari that the Prothean Beacon cancelled out and you just got weird flashes of what they presented themselves as throughout the series. Who knows. In Andromeda, as soon as I could I totally went and devoted myself to Vetra as soon as I could. Dunno if that's a me thing but I ignored even PB's obvious advances for a FWB to pursue the Turian.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Laffo if you didn't intuitively end up boning the eel dude.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The uncanniest valley

We chat with Victus really quick and then find out why the Normandy has been having technical difficulties. EDI done gone and stuffed herself into a sexy robit. At least we get a new squadmate out of the deal. Unfortunately they don't do anything unusual and exciting with her powers, she has incinerate and overload that other squaddies have. The decoy is still OP in the campaign, it got nerfed to poo poo in MP. However she has a tendency to drop it in weird places and it doesn't do a great job of distracting enemies hidden behind a rock or whatever. You do get some funny dialogue if you take her along on certain missions, but sadly that's about the only reason to take her along. The MP version is really good and what I used to do my solo gold runs since you get free revives.

Also take care of one of the SP/MP tie-in missions on Glacier, which we did in one of the bonus videos. You can see the old layout here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Its really too bad you cant take EDI and Legion along for maximum robot sass.