Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

also google is not getting nearly enough poo poo for hiring this moron in the first place

hypothesis: google is staffed primarily by exactly this type of moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

hypothesis: google is staffed primarily by exactly this type of moron

they spent like 200 million one year on diversity and outreach initiatives and hired 1% more women

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mrmcd posted:

The thing is he'd still be employed if he just kept his poo poo posting to Reddit mra boards during his own time. It just bothered him so much that trans people had a support mailing list and someone wore a BLM shirt to work. So his inner "well actually..." couldn't help but spew a terrible :biotruths: manifesto all over a shared doc and then sending it to the whole company.

yeah especially since it’s my understanding specific policy positions are not protected classes.

like in my old city my employer was not allowed to discriminate based on political party (refuse to hire republicans)

but “alt right” is not a political party

(I’m purposefully putting aside the very real requirement to not allow a hostile workplace because his discrimination claims are so lulzy)

I mean, I assume there’s some sort of code of conduct for these boards?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google should sue this guy for harassment of their employees

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i am personally a-ok with google's implied "it's ok to punch james damore in the face" policy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i am personally a-ok with james damore's lawyer clearly implying he's a nazi

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
it's not often i'm on the goog's side because quite honestly gently caress the whole lot of 'em, but here we are.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
the best is they probably offered him a decent settlement and a neutral reference (he worked from X to Y) but he had to go and gently caress that up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he took one look at the mad fat stacks dr. mr. jordan peterson is making via patreon/alt-right welfare and did what any of us would do

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mrmcd posted:

The thing is he'd still be employed if he just kept his poo poo posting to Reddit mra boards during his own time. It just bothered him so much that trans people had a support mailing list and someone wore a BLM shirt to work. So his inner "well actually..." couldn't help but spew a terrible :biotruths: manifesto all over a shared doc and then sending it to the whole company.

lol yeah

He tripped through sixteen internal "is this a good idea" checkpoints but it's all someone else's fault. White rich kid.txt

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Themage posted:

im pretty sure the iPhone 4 is at least 4 faster than the 3gs

4 is 1/1123 of 3GS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google will have no problem showing they don’t discriminate against men or white people or white men, since that’s the crux of their diversity problem. that leaves him with “conservative”, which is not what he was fired for, and defining conservatism to be MRA nonsense won’t go far. he was fired for making broad* accusations against a protected class of workers and creating a hostile environment. and also for being a shithead.

*lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
political affiliation isnt a protected class, either. there are things companies can get into trouble firing you for (religion, gender, age, race, etc) and possessing (or expressing) a particular political viewpoint is not one of those

plus, that aside, he openly declared that women make inferior engineers because their ovaries restrict the flow of blood to their tiny little brains, which in a company where peer/team input is heavily used for promotion and bonus decisionmaking, is an on-the-spot firing offense. no company is required to continue to employ a person who openly lacks respect for his colleagues and team members, irresepective of their political orientation.

here is a box of poo poo from your desk, ill take your badge, someone from hr will meet you at the door to hand you your final paycheck, best of luck in your future endeavors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, but he used about a thousand words to imply that, but never outright state it, therefore it is you who is in fact sexist, and furthermore the charts and figures cherry picked from a dozen unrelated studies actually support the conclusion which he definitely didn't make

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
james damore was fired for drawing bad publicity to google and highlighting the fact that he is not unusual in the company and there is deep, widespread resentment for even the nominal overtures they make to diversity

he could have stayed with the company posting manifestos forever if he hadn't made it known to the wider world that he was doing so, but his fundamental problem was being resentful that white supremacy wasn't serving him fast enough

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The Management posted:

google will have no problem showing they don’t discriminate against men or white people or white men, since that’s the crux of their diversity problem. that leaves him with “conservative”, which is not what he was fired for, and defining conservatism to be MRA nonsense won’t go far. he was fired for making broad* accusations against a protected class of workers and creating a hostile environment. and also for being a shithead.

*lol

i liked when he blamed his autism. google not hiring autistics is especially lulzy

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/16/james-damore-google-memo-interview-autism-regrets

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Having internal discussion boards for political flame wars seems like a bad idea for a company with more than 10 employees.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

yikes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

Having internal discussion boards for political flame wars seems like a bad idea for a company with more than 10 employees.

They aren't supposed to be for flame wars. It's supposed to be for, for example, a trans employee to ask other trans employees "where can I find a single bathroom?" or "what's a good doctor covered by our insurance?" or whatever.

They turned into flames because apparently Google lets anyone post on them and assholes felt the need to pop on to dump on the minorities.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

They aren't supposed to be for flame wars. It's supposed to be for, for example, a trans employee to ask other trans employees "where can I find a single bathroom?" or "what's a good doctor covered by our insurance?" or whatever.

They turned into flames because apparently Google lets anyone post on them and assholes felt the need to pop on to dump on the minorities.

that seems like a bad idea. (making them open, not the general idea).

couldn't these trans folks argue that not making it invite only or otherwise moderating contributes to a hostile work enviornment?

honestly i'm just amazed someone would think going into the company LGBT list serv and trolling is a good idea.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

maskenfreiheit posted:

that seems like a bad idea. (making them open, not the general idea).

couldn't these trans folks argue that not making it invite only or otherwise moderating contributes to a hostile work enviornment?

honestly i'm just amazed someone would think going into the company LGBT list serv and trolling is a good idea.

In most places they are invite only. Sounds like Google is just dumb

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

cis autodrag posted:

Sure, but there also exists a "conservative" board...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fiedler posted:

Where else are you going to get recommendations on how to make Hellmann's Mayonnaise less spicy?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Where else are you going to get recommendations on how to make Hellmann's Mayonnaise less spicy?

hey now

its Best Foods in California

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

I guess so they can ask each other where whites only churches are? Sounds like Google is doing resource groups in the dumbest way possible.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
in order to preserve it's faragher/ellerth affirmative defense against a sex harassment case, google had to take prompt and effective remedial action to correct harassing behaviour. :science:

Firing the dude was a good way to do it.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cis autodrag posted:

In most places they are invite only. Sounds like Google is just dumb

extreme transparency

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qirex posted:

also google is not getting nearly enough poo poo for hiring this moron in the first place
What's the suggestion here?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

he seems quiet (the journalists mention he prefers to chat than to speak)

if he's a quiet nerd (common) and doesn't have MRA stuff up on the web under his name how could they have not hired him?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
some of those groups are anonymous so that people can feel comfortable actually talking about their experiences, which for e.g. a women’s support group would otherwise be a lot less like “talking” and a lot more like “making a public accusation”

ofc that has drawbacks

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

maskenfreiheit posted:

he seems quiet (the journalists mention he prefers to chat than to speak)

if he's a quiet nerd (common) and doesn't have MRA stuff up on the web under his name how could they have not hired him?

"When James Damore was looking for a job as a technician, he made it clear from the start that he didn't want to just wash dishes or make reagents. He wanted to do research. He e-mailed a dozen or so professors around the United States to check for openings. “I was direct that I didn't want to do lab chores,” he says. “Not many labs had that kind of position."

https://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/articles/10.1038/nj7348-545a

(from 2011)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

PCjr sidecar posted:

"When James Damore was looking for a job as a technician, he made it clear from the start that he didn't want to just wash dishes or make reagents. He wanted to do research. He e-mailed a dozen or so professors around the United States to check for openings. “I was direct that I didn't want to do lab chores,” he says. “Not many labs had that kind of position."

(from 2011)

I don't want to prove myself. I am entitled to gently caress up your grant-funded research projects immediately with no real vetting.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't want to prove myself. I am entitled to gently caress up your grant-funded research projects immediately with no real vetting.

i imagine this meshes very well with the "my life sucked at your age so it's my job to make sure yours does too" mentality

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

(from 2011)

is that anti female? I'm not in biology, but my physics friends had lab techs (paid via grants) who did what could be described as "lab chores" (setting up experiements, building rigs etc)

edit: holy poo poo I should not fever post. just realized he was applying for *lab tech* jobs. :lol:

Sorry guys (and gals and anyone else reading), I'm home sick :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's not anti-female but it's arrogant and entitled as hell

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

It's not anti-female but it's arrogant and entitled as hell

yes agreed, sorry i didn't read thoroughly.

i actually was a lab tech at one point and even though it hurts to lol i did

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

that the press not treat it like something that just happened to google? this situation exists specifically because google hired this clown despite their incredibly selective system they've spent billions perfecting and then put up with an obviously toxic employee until he eventually wrote a novella about how uteruses make you bad at computers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

google hired this clown despite because of their incredibly selective system they've spent billions perfecting

ftfy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well, yeah but according to google they've spent buckets of money on improving their hiring and recruiting, the people I know who work there all work on outreach programs and stuff

[they've all had negligible effect]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

qirex posted:

that the press not treat it like something that just happened to google? this situation exists specifically because google hired this clown despite their incredibly selective system they've spent billions perfecting and then put up with an obviously toxic employee until he eventually wrote a novella about how uteruses make you bad at computers

that's the problem with their "selective" system. they want people with super high grades, from selective universities. the difference between a 3.5 and a 4.0 is often not IQ but how much social life you're willing to sacrifice.

personally i think they want them because someone who gets into stanford and pulls a 4.0 is conditioned to work crazy hours, not because they're mythical coders

• Locked thread