Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I killed all these monsters, but then the GM just made more?? Appear out of nowhere???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

Fire Pro Wrestling is pretty great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

i had two good interviews this week but if I don't get either job i'm probably going to be homeless in february

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Honestly guys I think that it's pretty unfair that a GM can make up stuff just before a session during prep time. He could unfairly change the game based on a previous session and the actions, success and failures of our characters. The only fair way to play is for the GM to create a document beforehand that outlines every single room, monster, villain, NPC and plot setting for the entire game from start to conclusion, and then hand it (sealed of course) to a lawyer for safekeeping until the game has come to completion.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Sion posted:

Not bad. Games club next week - gonna put some Netrunner decks together for it. Don't have any long term plans except to poke at old Star Trek episodes on Netflix and finish some video games on the backburner.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Countblanc posted:

i had two good interviews this week but if I don't get either job i'm probably going to be homeless in february

Best of luck; I hope something comes through for you.

I'm starting a new job this week, and things are going well so far! Somewhat less good news: my partner has mentioned that he wants me to run Exalted (1E) for him, because he wants to know why it was so important to me back in college. Is there any polite way to say "what was so important to me about Exalted 1E was a lot of stuff that the game isn't actually about, and I have no idea how to convey it to anyone else unless you're willing to play something that basically isn't Exalted anymore?" I guess I could always just run a basic super-swordmans game and see how that goes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sion posted:

Kinda poo poo, but I had a decent game of Infinity before I went to work today. Though something at my desk smells like deer urine, and that's not a typical library smell.

Countblanc posted:

That is a horrible prospect and I hope it doesn't come to that. Clearly it helps to know a weird internet person is rooting for you.

Antivehicular posted:

Best of luck; I hope something comes through for you.

I'm starting a new job this week, and things are going well so far! Somewhat less good news: my partner has mentioned that he wants me to run Exalted (1E) for him, because he wants to know why it was so important to me back in college. Is there any polite way to say "what was so important to me about Exalted 1E was a lot of stuff that the game isn't actually about, and I have no idea how to convey it to anyone else unless you're willing to play something that basically isn't Exalted anymore?" I guess I could always just run a basic super-swordmans game and see how that goes.

Pretty much that. Suggest an alternative, like Godbound or somethin'. It's entirely reasonable to say that the magic was rooted in a particular time and context, although the effort is appreciated nonetheless.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Sion posted:

I had an interview today, hopefully they hire me so I can get out of debt maybe ever. Wheee.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i appreciate the well-wishing, i just needed to vent because i dont really have anyone irl to do it to because my roommate would understandably lose her mind if i did and same for family

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I had an interview today, hopefully they hire me so I can get out of debt maybe ever. Wheee.

gl mon ami

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Canine Conspiracy posted:

Out of a fear of arbitrarily locked doors and the desire to minimize danger and maximize profits, I have decided to stay home from this whole dungeon thing and start a small business. Here is a list of sensible and safe investments I am making with my starting gold, and here is a wishlist of magical items I'm interested in buying when my midlife crisis hits. What do I roll to file for an EIN?

Seriously this discussion keeps giving me flashbacks to an old (grogs.txt?) discussion about a group who's DM was such a stick in the mud about realism that adventuring wasn't a thing and all of the underworld and mercenary needs were already filled and jealously guarded by NPC that the only thing the group was really able to do was start a mustard seed trading company.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Sion posted:

I enjoyed MAGfest quite a bit, lot of good talking and videogaming. Tabletop scene there was / is pretty meh, but you can't have everything.

Maybe I should be the change I want to see next year. :ssh:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Seriously this discussion keeps giving me flashbacks to an old (grogs.txt?) discussion about a group who's DM was such a stick in the mud about realism that adventuring wasn't a thing and all of the underworld and mercenary needs were already filled and jealously guarded by NPC that the only thing the group was really able to do was start a mustard seed trading company.

http://tao-dnd.blogspot.no/2008/06/seizing-day.html

The guy has a patreon now lol.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

grassy gnoll posted:

Kinda poo poo, but I had a decent game of Infinity before I went to work today. Though something at my desk smells like deer urine, and that's not a typical library smell.

If you're sitting at your desk while your desk smells of deer urine, I think I've cracked the case.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I enjoyed MAGfest quite a bit, lot of good talking and videogaming. Tabletop scene there was / is pretty meh, but you can't have everything.

Maybe I should be the change I want to see next year. :ssh:

THat'd be great! I am thinking about getting to a point where I can start to travel and run megagames around places. That would be rad.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

my hard drive broke again

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

oh no :(

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

hyphz posted:

I can sort of see the desire to do that for fiction in an agreed romantic style. But it seems here what I’m being told is that the PCs have to spend resources trying to pick the lock and at the same time be cool with knowing that the GM could just spawn another locked door between them and their goal, 10 more, 100 more, because hey it’s not that bad if they don’t manage to pick one. That just seems a sideways argument.

"I'm gonna make my friends eat INFINITE OREGANO!"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

grassy gnoll posted:

Pretty much that. Suggest an alternative, like Godbound or somethin'. It's entirely reasonable to say that the magic was rooted in a particular time and context, although the effort is appreciated nonetheless.

I'm not even sure Godbound would work, because the core problem is that the things I loved about Exalted (beyond the general "it was huge in my college scene, you had to be there" stuff) were the weird setting bits, particularly Jenna Moran's work on the line, and where that took me in terms of chargen and imagination -- but that was mostly in a really low-power direction. I could definitely run the "my ideal Exalted game" stuff for him, but given that one of my ideas for that sort of thing is a police procedural game set in a modern-tech city populated by Demon-blooded, it's probably not going to be the actual game as published, you know?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

The Tao of D&D? What is that where you play characters trying to find peace in the dungeon? To avoid setting off a single trap through perfect awareness, to abandon the desire of treasure and the trappings of worldly attachment, to show compassion for natural existence of the aboleth?

Oh, wait, no, it's just about appropriation. Well, that's to be expected, I suppose.

Plutonis posted:

Buy a harder one next time? :ohdear:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sion posted:

I'm still really happy with my job, but because of some bad staff and Kansas Republicans being literal cartoon villains we might be facing a glove shortage, right after other essentials were a problem the last couple months. This is the health care field btw so gloves are kind of important.

Last week I caught and made friends with a runaway cat and got her to HHHS:

Countblanc posted:

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Good luck!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sion posted:

If you're sitting at your desk while your desk smells of deer urine, I think I've cracked the case.

I get your intent and and have verified that it ain't me, but how would I know what my desk smells like when I'm not at my desk? You're getting into some weird, pee-scented ontological territory there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Buy a harder one next time? :ohdear:

It's on the warranty still I guess. Less than six months...?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Sion posted:

My friends and I finally won a game of Pandemic Legacy on Saturday night, so that was cool. Other than that I've just been enjoying AGDQ

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sion posted:

I won $50 on the office football guessing game by correctly guessing the winner of every NFL game that happened last week. Pretty good start to the week!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Rasamune posted:

My friends and I finally won a game of Pandemic Legacy on Saturday night, so that was cool. Other than that I've just been enjoying AGDQ

Chat has been loving dreadful this year. Like, somehow worse than last year which I didn't think could be a thing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sion posted:

I've been sick for a month and probably have some kind of sinus infection that I got while recovering from the flu I had all through final exams. Going to the doctor's office tomorrow.

On the bright side a friend might be running a Mage: The Awakening game soon.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sion posted:

Chat has been loving dreadful this year. Like, somehow worse than last year which I didn't think could be a thing?

Its cause people are Real Mad that they set it to subscriber only.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sion posted:

this is the worst AGDQ ever and i stopped watching after the MGS3 run by a guy who's worse than DSP

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

this is the worst AGDQ ever and i stopped watching after the MGS3 run by a guy who's worse than DSP

let's not say anything crazy now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He lost to the End and had to reload a save and kept the rest of the run complaining about glitches and how the guard's hitbox was small whenever he shot at him

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
He got killed by the first enemy on screen and then spent half an hour about how MGS2 had better controls. The guy who ran it last year wasn't even spotted the entire game.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

This is the same dude who took fifteen minutes of resettting to get through the Tanker in MGS2 one year.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Sion posted:

The wife and I have managed to integrate a fairly hefty time management system into our day to day lives, and it's been great. I'm getting a lot more poo poo done, and having some structure as to what I should be doing at any given moment is remarkably stress-reducing.

Also, I got a tablet for Christmas, which has let me finally read some of the RPG pdfs I had backlogged. Right now I'm reading Mother of Monsters, a new Heroquest: Glorantha scenario by Robin Laws. The adventure itself is pretty good (elevator pitch: hunt mutant baby godzillas for fun and profit), but what I'm really liking is how it's presented. The book is written in a fairly sparse framework style, centered around giving the GM a flowchart of potential scenes:

That are detailed like so:

Another layer of interest is that MoM is actually companion work to a prior Laws book, Sharper Adventures in Heroquest, with MoM literally being a fleshed out implementation of an example flowchart from Sharper Adventures. As such, it's got a lot of text devoted to explaining design decisions, and lots of literal page-numbers-and-everything references to concepts from Sharper Adventures.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Leraika posted:

There were some miscommunications in my game Monday that led to everyone kind of being down on it and I went back in to my volunteer gig today only to find that woops, all our systems were down.

Great start to the week!

That sucks, have you tried :killing:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

He got killed by the first enemy on screen and then spent half an hour about how MGS2 had better controls. The guy who ran it last year wasn't even spotted the entire game.

I think it's amazing an MGS speedrunner speedran the game while method acting Solid Snake and just being completely invisible.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Do the run from a cardboard box.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

NachtSieger posted:

That sucks, have you tried :killing:

Ah, if I could only kill the menace electric.

Instead I sent an e-mail to my boss. :shrug:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Leraika posted:

Ah, if I could only kill the menace electric.

Instead I sent an e-mail to my boss. :shrug:

Onw down. Now what about your Monday game? :thunk:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

NachtSieger posted:

Onw down. Now what about your Monday game? :thunk:

Well, it looks like it's all resolved itself in the end, so there's that.

(you were there, nerd)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, there's a smidgen of a real issue with what hyphz is describing with his Shadowrun story.

If you can create a character that dumps all their points into Shoot, it's possible if not likely that that character will be able to shoot everything in the premade adventure really easily.

The natural reaction is for the GM to make the monsters harder to shoot, but if the rest of the party did not dump all their points into shoot, then you have this extreme dichotomy where a monster is either piss-easy to be shot by the Shootman while being "just right" for everyone else, or difficult to shoot for the Shootman while being impossible to hit for everyone else.

This is why D&D 4e moved to the "Half-Level Bonus" as a baseline number for all of their stats: the designers realized that in 3e, there was an unsustainable disparity between a character that went all in on AC like a Paladin, versus a caster. Or the disparity between a Fighter's poor Will saves and their good Fort saves. Or the disparity between a skill that you were maintaining full skill points into, versus one that you weren't.

At least with 4e's Half-Level Bonus bringing up the rear, there's still a disparity, but one that is within the range of the d20 to be able to capture (and within the player's power to try and mitigate).

In Shadowrun 5e, the current workaround is to use the Run Faster sourcebook's Life Modules character generation system to buy predefined packages of skills, that result in more well-rounded characters, rather than a pure point-buy where you can buy as many points of Shoot as you can specifically afford.

Sion posted:

The Philippines is passing this tax cut bill which is similar to, but not as explicitly rapacious as, the one the US did, and I've been low-key monitoring it all year because there's a special exemption in it that I'm making use of that was rumored to be getting axed.

The exemption is still there in the House version ... it's still there in the Senate version ... it's still there after the bill comes out of conference ... and then on the Friday before Christmas, Duterte uses a line-item veto to strike it (and three other provisions) from the bill.

It's kinda stressing me out because I'm losing anywhere between 500 to 1200 USD a year (I'm converting here) because of it, when I already made the grand decision to buy a car in November and everything is pretty tightly budgeted. HR is gonna have an all-hands later this afternoon, but I'm really doubtful that they're going to give a raise just to make up for it.

That's apart from my mom's business going under just before New Year's and saddling me with 3,400 USD in credit card debt, and the rest of the family in another 8,000 USD, but maybe that's a story for another time.