Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
deducing why akira continues to trust ryo outside his super empathetic nature isn't really a puzzle
https://twitter.com/Ianasuka/status/949332797159825408

https://twitter.com/urpaljulie/status/950550587279663113
they're gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Extremely gay, much like all of the devilmans. Devilmen?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

awful, beautiful, terrible, and fantastic. I wish i hadn't watched it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Liver Disaster posted:

Extremely gay, much like all of the devilmans. Devilmen?
it is Powerfully Gay.

The show opens with Ryo saying "Love does not exist. There is no such thing. This is what I thought", a powerful past tense sentence

Akira and Ryo hug, feed each other and say "I need you" to each other throughout.

By the end of the third episode, the two of them have hugged four times.

The first episode is called I Need You.

By the end of the ninth episode, you have watched a two girls in a tense rivalry say "I didn't know I loved you", "I love you!" "I love you too!" and then turn into a spider

the idea of a heterosexual reading of Devilman is laughable to me.

like im not trying to throw hands but saying that Akira is dumb for trusting Ryo reads like......like you've never heard of love before.....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NecroMonster posted:

awful, beautiful, terrible, and fantastic. I wish i hadn't watched it.

Me, after reading all of the manga.

I'm coming around on my regret now but it's still. It hurt to read.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the most amazing things for me to learn is that Devilman the manga was produced in a shonen magazine.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nagai notably made a PTA mad as hell at least once (not with devilman though to my knowledge).

RME
Feb 20, 2012

it was harenchi gakuen wasnt it?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if he ever got complaints on other occasions as well though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
the pta scene from field of dreams but the mom is trying to save cutie honey from the book burners

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really liked this show, it got me hyped as hell to reread the manga when it comes out this year. This is also the first Yuasa show I've ever seen and I really like his style, I'm definitely going to go check out his earlier work.

Is the Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman show on Netflix worth watching?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its pretty good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Calvin Coolposts posted:

I really liked this show, it got me hyped as hell to reread the manga when it comes out this year. This is also the first Yuasa show I've ever seen and I really like his style, I'm definitely going to go check out his earlier work.

Is the Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman show on Netflix worth watching?

It's pretty good. It's directed by the same guy that did the 2001 Cyborg 009 tv series. Jun Kawagoe is a solid action director and it's a bummer that he's not as prolific as he used to be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Calvin Coolposts posted:

Check out Kemonozume, it could almost be a weird Devilman spinoff in its own right.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh I really liked that Cyborg 009 show, so yeah I'll definitely check it out.

Also just watched the opening for Kemonozume on youtube and I'm immediately sold on it, thanks for the recommendation.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The 2001 009 show is finally gonna get a release by discotek btw, so keep eyes on that if you're interested.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Motto posted:

The 2001 009 show is finally gonna get a release by discotek btw, so keep eyes on that if you're interested.

Wait wait wait. With new subs? For both seasons?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Srice posted:

It's pretty good. It's directed by the same guy that did the 2001 Cyborg 009 tv series. Jun Kawagoe is a solid action director and it's a bummer that he's not as prolific as he used to be.

Oh, I was wondering the same as Calvin, hell yes, I know now what to watch next to satiate my sudden need for more Devilman.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait wait wait. With new subs? For both seasons?

It'll be the full show, yes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Motto posted:

It'll be the full show, yes.

Praise the heavens!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
maybe it's just that I'm not super familiar with Cyborg 009, but it seems pretty light-hearted and mixing it with the Devilman manga came off as loving odd to me. like, I have never in my life seen a more tonally jarring crossover than 009 vs. Devilman and I ended up bailing on it really quick as a result.

e: it's like if someone put Arale from Dr. Slump in loving Berserk, or if one of Yang Wenli's plots got interrupted by a surprise visit from fuckin' Goku. there's just a sense of wrongness to the OVA that I couldn't get past.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Id totally watch Arale vs Guts

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
not a single thing you said sounded bad, dude

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
While I'm down with the idea of Akira seeing/attempting to see the good in Ryo as a .... Thing, having two of your like, five miniature glimpses of their past being Ryo attempting to kill animals means I'm gonna need a little more to convince me. And when you chronologically leap from that to the motherfucker pulling a machine gun out of his coat and firing what I'm being told is that Ryo basically never changed but Akira doesn't care because love. Look y'all, I'm Gay, but come on. I don't need Ryo to transform into a goody two shoes (He's Satan lol), but just give me the slightest bit of reason to believe an incredibly empathetic and emotional person liked the stabby stabby kid (beyond just, he's So Good he can see the good in everybody!). I will say, however: Incredibly Good Hugs.

If the show's tone stayed as schlocky and over the top as the first episode throughout I wouldn't give a poo poo but it attempts to have an emotional core and the two just aren't coming together for me.

Speaking of, the use of the baton metaphor was brought up previously and I'm actually fine with it for the most part, but THEN they decide that Miki has to literally either think or scream out loud "I need to pass you the baton, Akira" right before dying and what should have been an impactful scene just becomes laughable (well for me, obviously not for others!). I'm not about to accuse Yuasa's previous work of being subtle, but this is on another level of unsubtle. Keep It Visual, imho.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ryo really sucks and is just too much of a jackass to feel bad for.

I don't know how you guys don't like Miko/the rappers. They're great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

Id totally watch Arale vs Guts

Expect My Mom posted:

not a single thing you said sounded bad, dude

oh don't get me wrong i wouldn't exactly be complaining that hard but I would absolutely do a double-take and rewind or flip back to make sure I didn't just hallucinate that, and generally for crossovers I prefer the "chocolate and peanut butter" ones to the "chocolate and ham" ones

(also: Toriyama must be on my mind for some reason given the examples I came up with, must be my subconscious telling me to catch up on Super)

e: also, like, I get that gay love makes you blind to people's moral flaws, but Ryo literally loving tells Akira straight up that he's not up to anything good, and goes all crazy-eyes and starts acting really hosed up and possessive of Akira. This is generally a point at which most couples would break up and Ryo would go from "~daddy!!~ " to "my bugfuck crazy ex who wants to destroy humanity." like, all this poo poo works perfectly fine in the manga primarily because that scene in the apartment isn't there (IIRC). adding that scene makes Akira a complete dumbass, and not really to the story's benefit- it seems like it's mostly there to hammer the audience over the head with what Ryo's doing in case they're not getting the picture yet.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 10, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Expect My Mom posted:

it is Powerfully Gay.

like im not trying to throw hands but saying that Akira is dumb for trusting Ryo reads like......like you've never heard of love before.....

Akira has awful taste in men then

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you know what I just realized

Akira is a loving /r/relationships poster

i was thinking for a second "there's nobody who's that loving thick in real life" and then I remembered there's a whole loving subreddit of them

this show is nearly flawless

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Akira isn't ever really aware of the truth of his feelings for Ryo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

oh don't get me wrong i wouldn't exactly be complaining that hard but I would absolutely do a double-take and rewind or flip back to make sure I didn't just hallucinate that, and generally for crossovers I prefer the "chocolate and peanut butter" ones to the "chocolate and ham" ones

(also: Toriyama must be on my mind for some reason given the examples I came up with, must be my subconscious telling me to catch up on Super)

e: also, like, I get that gay love makes you blind to people's moral flaws, but Ryo literally loving tells Akira straight up that he's not up to anything good, and goes all crazy-eyes and starts acting really hosed up and possessive of Akira. This is generally a point at which most couples would break up and Ryo would go from "~daddy!!~ " to "my bugfuck crazy ex who wants to destroy humanity." like, all this poo poo works perfectly fine in the manga primarily because that scene in the apartment isn't there (IIRC). adding that scene makes Akira a complete dumbass, and not really to the story's benefit- it seems like it's mostly there to hammer the audience over the head with what Ryo's doing in case they're not getting the picture yet.
Love has been responsible for crazier things than letting your boyfriend kickstart the apocalypse and then score the finishing touchdown

e: yeah you got it. miki really should have taken akira aside at some point and told him to :sever:

Tired Moritz posted:

Akira has awful taste in men then
god dont we all

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 10, 2018

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i guess the devil learned to love man in the end, if only a little bit and far too late

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Akira is Jesus so he feels love and empathy for all things

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, yeah, Devilman Crybaby might be the greatest work of Christian moral apologetics ever made and one of the greatest pieces of religious fiction since Milton

and I did not loving expect that from a Go Nagai adaptation

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

with the cyborg 009/devilman crossover, i dunno how it is executed in that particular series but the base premise of cyborg 009 has enough darkness that i don't think they're wildly miscast. all the cyborgs are people kidnapped and experimented on until they become horrible weapons and they have to reckon with that while trying to escape their captor and then prevent him from destroying the world via war. it dovetails with devilman's anti-war message and the sort of existential questions about personhood (the latter doesn't seem huge in either, but the resonance is there). plus devilman as a media franchise will always have that 70's tv series (and now crybaby) bringing some lightness and goofiness to it to temper the tits/gore/apocalypse stuff.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This sort of serves to highlight the weakness brought on by Akira's extreme empathy. He always tries to rationalize the behavior of others regardless of whether it is sensible or not.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

with the cyborg 009/devilman crossover, i dunno how it is executed in that particular series but the base premise of cyborg 009 has enough darkness that i don't think they're wildly miscast. all the cyborgs are people kidnapped and experimented on until they become horrible weapons and they have to reckon with that while trying to escape their captor and then prevent him from destroying the world via war. it dovetails with devilman's anti-war message and the sort of existential questions about personhood (the latter doesn't seem huge in either, but the resonance is there). plus devilman as a media franchise will always have that 70's tv series (and now crybaby) bringing some lightness and goofiness to it to temper the tits/gore/apocalypse stuff.

that's sort of fair, i was expecting it to be 70s TV Devilman so when I saw them flash back to the super hosed up version of the Jinmen fight I went "uhhhhhh whaaaaa?" i should probably give it another look, Crybaby gave me the itch for more Devilman

also, honestly, i really don't envy anyone releasing any kind of dark dramatic anime this year, because it's gonna be hard not to compare stuff to this. and nothing's gonna stack up in the comparison. this is a really, really strong frontrunner for AOTY right out the gate.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i certainly don't expect another show this year with as wide a spectrum of gay/bi characters that also have the whole weight of the show's themes behind them. honestly not something i expected out of devilman

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Devilman more like

Debiman

I got nothing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So can anyone help with something thats bugging me about the opening. When the Demons all flash through the screen there is one of them I can't identify.

Kiem

Silene

Got no clue who this is.

Miko

Jinmen

Who is the third one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

could it be psycho jenny?

• Locked thread