Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What do they do in spain? Being a notary means different things in different countries; in the US it's basically just certifying copies and signatures, but a notario in Mexico is a much more involved and is basically a sort of government-sanctioned law practice - you have to be a lawyer with 5 years of practice to qualify. I assume there's a relation to the spanish version, so you're probably looking at less of a notary and more of a special-function attorney.

Edit: Beaten, I guess, so as compensation I will add that in the US you have people that prey on this difference by advertising themselves as 'Noatrios' to Spanish-speaking or immigrant communities, suggesting that they have a lot more capacity than they actually have as a notary and bilking people for crazy fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's a common and severe enough fraud that South Carolina has made it straight up illagal for an SC Notary to advertise themselves as notario publicos.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

paragon1 posted:

It's a common and severe enough fraud that South Carolina has made it straight up illagal for an SC Notary to advertise themselves as notario publicos.

That's probably just because they hate anyone who doesn't speak English.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Seems this is a thing Sephora is trying to sell. I assume because people buy it?

Cosmetics are their own special form of price gouging, but a literal bottle of pressurized water to moisturize your foundation. Or you know, wet your foundation sponge.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I was going to do a normal :rolleyes: at that, but then I saw they're charging $15 for two of those. What the poo poo?

But at least the mineral water is hypoallergenic! :downs:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Haifisch posted:

I was going to do a normal :rolleyes: at that, but then I saw they're charging $15 for two of those. What the poo poo?

But at least the mineral water is hypoallergenic! :downs:

No no, see, one of them is $15, the other one is free! What a deal!!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nocheez posted:

That's probably just because they hate anyone who doesn't speak English.

I dont know about SC, but the Oregon notary training states it is because "notario publico" implies legal services and such in Spanish speaking countries and that many spanish speaking immigrants will assume it means the same thing here. Perhaps the answer is not racism but trying to protect a vulnerable group of consumers.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

I dont know about SC, but the Oregon notary training states it is because "notario publico" implies legal services and such in Spanish speaking countries and that many spanish speaking immigrants will assume it means the same thing here. Perhaps the answer is not racism but trying to protect a vulnerable group of consumers.

I was simply making a joke, broseph.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Notarios P.U.B.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Oh god reading that post is exactly what it felt like to catch up with friends from back home who, at 30, still live in the exact same neighborhood they were born in

Just the other day this occurred to me too. Someone who I worked with in high school 14 years ago at Mcdonalds ran into some family that still lived in the small town I grew up in. They moved on up...to Subway, probably making only 3 or 4 dollars more an hour than they did over a decade ago.

That kid's doing the right thing with his life by asking how he can make escaping a lifetime of misery happen. It'll be a rocky start but he'll be in a much better spot to fall into a job with upward potential. If nothing else, the community college system in California is nothing short of excellent and that would help him get an education to boost that change.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some BWM content:

I still have not received my $27000 wire reversal from GDAX and it's been almost 40 days.

quote:

I wired $27000 to GDAX, and it was declined due to a name mismatch. They said they would reverse the funds, and that it would take up to 7 days. It's now been 40 days, and I have tried everything. I've made multiple cases, I've tried to reach out to them on Twitter, sent messages to random employees on LinkedIn. I've contacted their bank, and their bank in NY said that Coinbase has not replied to any of their emails inquiring about the reversal, and that the money was received by Coinbase but that they have still not put in a reversal on the money.

Please upvote for support.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
lol that post is great stuff. One of the top downvoted comments (that makes no sense):

quote:

I'm new to cryptocurrency and I've had my eye on Bitcoin off and on since it started, but never had any money to invest. Recently found an uncashed check and want to invest, yet I see all these exchanges have issues. Does anyone have a recommended place to store? Also easy way to mine Alt coins? I have a strong rig and would like to put it to use while not using it.
How bad at life and money do you have to be to lose loving cheque and then find it later... but decide to "invest" in bitcoin when clearly you loving need it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In my heart I know it's a birthday check from his grandma from 2003.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

What's with the responses? Is everyone in there trolls? It seemed much more shitposty than I would have thought.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Harry posted:

What's with the responses? Is everyone in there trolls? It seemed much more shitposty than I would have thought.

quote:

sorted by: controversial (suggested)
Another quirk of reddit's weird-rear end comment format: There's a bunch of ways to sort comments, and for whatever reason, that thread defaulted to the most controversial ones. Sorting by 'best' instead gets more normal comments.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Beachbody "Rockstar" package is the most expensive package they offer. It costs $350 (for distributors to purchase, customers pay more of course). Let's see how a "coach" tries to upsell her downline so she can take more money from them:

Again, totally not a cult.

If you cancel your LuLaLoopsie order you will get called out because it's "Mom's only employment and source of income". News flash: your buyers don't give a gently caress and they shouldn't have to. Just be glad there's still a demand for your ugly rear end poo poo.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's even better than that:

quote:

It was a $300 class action settlement check from a large bank for shady practices while working for them. And I'm a college student, so I live on financial aid and receive food stamps. So $300 I haven't missed is money I can afford to invest since if it's lost, I never really had it. Plus, I've been meaning to invest in crypto and new weed stocks with California legalizing.

Wtf is weed stock? haha

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

Wtf is weed stock? haha

Not a bad investment. Ever since they started trading, they’ve really been on fire.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Suspicious Lump posted:

Wtf is weed stock? haha

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MJX/ Theres even index funds now.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not a bad investment. Ever since they started trading, they’ve really been on fire.

With Sessions going after pot not sure if its gonna be the best time for them for a bit.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

A few years into working at my post college job I found several checks from relatives and family friends for my high school graduation. I ended up sending the checks back with updated Thank You cards, since I obviously dropped the ball on those as well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pr0zac posted:

With Sessions going after pot not sure if its gonna be the best time for them for a bit.

I bought MJX right after they announced the Sessions thing on the dip at 34.50. I really doubt anything is going to come from the Sessions thing since the legalized states aren't going to hand over their new found tax revenue without a huge ugly fight.

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I do have Spanish heritage....don't speak Spanish though. I'm sure I could make that work though. Do you think an Illinois notary is transferable to Spain?!

Sorry, I was burying the lede again. As others have mentioned it's a very different role, you need to be a lawyer and then sit an "oposición", something like an SAT for aspiring notaries, and hope to get one of the ~200 openings available per year. According to this article it takes 6 years full-time studying on average, after the 4 year undergrad law degree, for the oposición and you have to rote memorize the 1,976 articles of the civil code, keeping up to date with any modifications.

It's probably BWM for 99% of people who try.

MaiaN fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 9, 2018

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

H110Hawk posted:

Seems this is a thing Sephora is trying to sell. I assume because people buy it?

Cosmetics are their own special form of price gouging, but a literal bottle of pressurized water to moisturize your foundation. Or you know, wet your foundation sponge.

There is a skincare / kbeauty products thread on this forum. The amount of products + steps involved in some people's daily skin care routine is overwhelming and terrifying.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah I sometimes stumble into the skincare threads to have a basic 1-3 step routine I can do after I shower in the morning and before I go to bed, but every time I leave confused and exasperated.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Suspicious Lump posted:

Wtf is weed stock? haha

Canadian companies doing legal marijuana (mostly trading OTC) as well as some US companies that are likely to have high marijuana exposure with broader legalization, these companies or ETFs are up like 60% YOY. Not quite crypto, but at least they are real businesses with real revenues selling real goods in the real world.

Except drugs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or drug infrastructure, I guess.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pr0zac posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MJX/ Theres even index funds now.

Marijuana. On fire. Joke.

I didn’t realize there actually were stocks already.

Yeah, there are even republican congresspeople saying “gently caress you” to Sessions over the state’s rights aspect.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, there are even republican congresspeople saying “gently caress you” to Sessions over the state’s rights aspect.

Yeah, one of Colorado’s senators has an (R) next to their name, so pushing this would be a bad decision for Sessions.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There were weed stocks since 2014 ;)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I’ve had a weed stock since high school

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

Yeah, one of Colorado’s senators has an (R) next to their name, so pushing this would be a bad decision for Sessions.

The first news story I heard about it was Cory Gardner saying he was going to block Trump’s Justice Department nominations until Sessions gave up. He said he was against legalization, but the people of the state voted for it, so it was his responsibility to support that now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
STATES RIGHTS

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

UnfurledSails posted:

Yeah I sometimes stumble into the skincare threads to have a basic 1-3 step routine I can do after I shower in the morning and before I go to bed, but every time I leave confused and exasperated.
Cleanser, toner, moisturizer. I use Neutrogena for the first two and Cerave for the third. Good luck!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know, and it doesn’t even involve slavery. Weird, huh?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know, and it doesn’t even involve slavery. Weird, huh?

That's why the republicans are opposed to weed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

#mastersdegree

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Youth Decay posted:

#mastersdegree

The Bible is BWM:

quote:

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth
and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor
rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

An IRA is unChristian. Those cousins know what's up.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Phanatic posted:

The Bible is BWM:

Not even close to what it's saying.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

#mastersdegree
What does #addictionrecovery have to do with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Phanatic posted:

The Bible is BWM: