Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I guess its just that I have little taste for moralizing. We're not evil for emitting carbon, its just the reality of the system we live in that our behavior is destructive.

Talking about climate change is just such a hard discursive needle to thread. We need to talk about a complicated systematic response, but almost nobody cares about that. They want to know what they can do, and I really believe their individual actions matter, if mostly by creating an environment conducive to implementing a systematic policy response.

But when you start talking about individual decision making suddenly you're stuck in a morass of tribalism and identity. I don't think anyone really knows how to deal with these problems, if anyone did we'd probably be doing much more about climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Squalid posted:

But maybe to take that trip he'll forgo purchase of a new car for a couple years. While the guy who can't stand to live without steak will choose to skip the holiday flight to grandmas so he can afford his meat. And the guy who loves drag racing will scrimp on every meal so he can poor every extra penny into his precious riced out Mitsubishi.

While the last two examples might offset each other somewhat, the first one really seems like a rich man version where he doesn't really sacrifice or offset anything. Holding off buying a new car for a few years? What a sacrifice. Maybe if he didn't own a car for a few years, and didn't travel outside a 50km radius during that time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

While the last two examples might offset each other somewhat, the first one really seems like a rich man version where he doesn't really sacrifice or offset anything. Holding off buying a new car for a few years? What a sacrifice. Maybe if he didn't own a car for a few years, and didn't travel outside a 50km radius during that time.

Hey I commute to work, I deserve jumbo-jet travel! Don't you judge me. :mad:

Climate compensation is a toxic idea. What a lot of people seem to struggle grasping is that most of their emissions comes from things that are very difficult to opt out of and that really should not be opted out of. You can start maintaining your clothes but you shouldn't stop consuming clothes. You could stop eating meat but you can't stop eating food. You can move to smaller accommodations but you can't live in the streets. Transports are the worst since they're for the most part completely out of your control, your government either gives you good options or they don't. You might have the option of switching a car for commute, or commute for a bicycle, but most people won't. This idea that you can opt out of a small thing and then we're set does not align with the reality of climate change at all.

Maintaining our current quality of life in the aspects that actually matter means relinquishing the stuff that really doesn't.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We do try to offset and minimize as much of our carbon footprint as possible over here, rural house owners that we are. Like an energy efficient house using ground heat exchange pump for heating + wood in an efficient "kakelugn". We don't consume much, we try and limit our consumption and use a lot of 2nd hand stuff + a thing about living in the country is you consume less stuff because there's less stuff to consume... Wages are also lower so you have less money to consume with. In fact a study on this in Finland showed that per capita people in the Helsinki metropolitan area had the bigger footprint per capita than rural dwellers because they consume so much more goods and services, all which produce CO2.

I did the carbon footprint calculator and our household carbon footprint (4 people, 1 small car, 0 air travel) is 6 tons per year so we're doing better than average for Finland. But it's surprising, the house and car travel account for less than half of that. The rest is kinda hard to downshift more on, like food and insurance, our bloody mortgage payments add 2 tons per year???

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

our bloody mortgage payments add 2 tons per year???

Your money is literally exchanged for Zimbabwe dollars which is then burned for heating your most local bank office.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh hey I wrote a paper on borohydride energy storage. They're still having trouble with thermal stability. At least it's not hydrazine bisborane because it turns out that explodes at 160 degrees.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 9, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The world's coral is dying en-masse. 30 year bleaching events now occur every 5.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The death of the oceans is kinda sad imo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
can we burn the dead coral to power our international airliners

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

All of this discussion is making me fear that no matter what we do to combat climate change, that a combination of it, induced conflicts, rogue AI, (and now a methane-induced Permian extinction event!?) are going to wipe us out before we're ever able to exodus to other planets.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 10, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No matter how hosed up we make the planet it’ll be easier to create artificial environments on the ground than in orbit let alone “the stars”

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
grouchio i'm pretty sure you could reach the stars tomorrow if you just wished for it hard enough

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Grouchio posted:

All of this discussion is making me fear that no matter what we do to combat climate change, that a combination of it, induced conflicts, rogue AI, (and now a methane-induced Permian extinction event!?) are going to wipe us out before we're ever able to exodus to the stars.

It turns out the universe has a very strong immune response to unrestrained capitalism. It's unlikely we'll be able to infect any local stars.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it that hard to get a clear answer or am I being laughed at?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I like to think we're laughing with you

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Grouchio posted:

What exactly is the question? Unless we work out a way to break some important laws of physics, we're never leaving the solar system. Out of all the planets and moons within our solar system, only one is substantially Earth-like... and it happens to be the one we already live on. If we can't manage to fix this planet, there's no reason to expect that we'll be able to radically transform another celestial body to make it more habitable than Earth.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Grouchio posted:

Thread is very much of the opinion that eradicating all non-human life on earth, so that we can cover the planet with vast swatches of agriculture and resource extraction, to prop up an endless cycle of humans procreation and dying, is better than strict population control and establishing a foothold on other planets.

Which, I mean, if we cause a total biosphere collapse just so that some fucks in the third world don't have to stop having kids and some fucks in the west don't have to give up beef, it'll probably be for the best if an asteroid wipes out the entire species. :shrug:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If you want to daydream about any global stressors before around 2050 or so, it's going to have to be through some sort of weather phenomenon, and our research doesn't have that much certainty around it. It's the second half of the century where things like sea level rise, river flow changes, high wet bulb temperature days, and soil depletion problems start becoming major factors at current rates.

If you want to see some early bloodshed go look at how insurers are handling new coastal and wildland developments. Ones that don't adapt fast enough and keep insuring high risk housing will have capital events soon. Here's a great read about our development hubris which will stop sooner rather than later:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1988/09/26/los-angeles-against-the-mountains-i

Southern California will have great conditions for debris flow this week due to the large burn scars from wildfires that just occurred in tandem with the 2-6" of rain forecast throughout the region on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/950162234201858048

Right on schedule:

The New York Times posted:

Mudslides Strike Southern California, Leaving at Least 13 Dead
JAN. 9, 2018
At least 13 people — and possibly more, the authorities warned — were killed on Tuesday and more than two dozen were injured as a vast area northwest of Los Angeles, recently scorched in the state’s largest wildfire on record, became the scene of another disaster, as a driving rainstorm, the heaviest in nearly a year, triggered floods and mudslides.

Joking aside, that New Yorker is worth reading but the descriptions of people getting caught and dying in these debris flows are nightmarish.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rime posted:

Thread is very much of the opinion that eradicating all non-human life on earth, so that we can cover the planet with vast swatches of agriculture and resource extraction, to prop up an endless cycle of humans procreation and dying, is better than strict population control and establishing a foothold on other planets.
This sounds like the stupidest climate change solution I have ever heard.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Grouchio posted:

This sounds like the stupidest climate change solution I have ever heard.

No, it's just the person you're quoting. Rime lives in a fantasy world where nothing except draconian laws will reduce human population, even though we're already below replacement rate in pretty much every country with a decent standard of living.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 10, 2018

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Nocturtle posted:

Joking aside, that New Yorker is worth reading but the descriptions of people getting caught and dying in these debris flows are nightmarish.

https://twitter.com/erveza/status/950943408184614912

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
In addition to 2017 and this year 2016 was also a record low at this time of year as well :tif:

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/950590563056631809

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

VideoGameVet posted:

http://www.washington.edu/news/2014/12/09/warmer-pacific-ocean-could-release-millions-of-tons-of-seafloor-methane/

“We calculate that methane equivalent in volume to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill is released every year off the Washington coast,” said Evan Solomon, a UW assistant professor of oceanography. He is co-author of a paper to appear in Geophysical Research Letters.

While scientists believe that global warming will release methane from gas hydrates worldwide, most of the current focus has been on deposits in the Arctic. This paper estimates that from 1970 to 2013, some 4 million metric tons of methane has been released from hydrate decomposition off Washington. That’s an amount each year equal to the methane from natural gas released in the 2010 Deepwater Horizon blowout off the coast of Louisiana, and 500 times the rate at which methane is naturally released from the seafloor.

4 million metric tons of methane is absolutely nothing. It's about 0.7% of annual methane emissions, and they're talking about emissions over 43 years, so it's actually more like 0.017% of annual methane emissions. And as the article notes it's not clear if even a single gram of those emissions are reaching the atmosphere, because they can dissolve in water or be decomposed by methanophagic bacteria. This is an example of one of those climate stories where they use figures and analogies, ("4 million tons", "as much as Deepwater Horizon"), and don't put them in their proper context to make it sound like they're significant when they're anything but.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 10, 2018

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nocturtle posted:

It turns out the universe has a very strong immune response to unrestrained capitalism. It's unlikely we'll be able to infect any local stars.

This is awesome lol

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/toastforbrekkie/status/951117427047354368

so even when people in western european or east asian countries avoid flying by taking the train as much as possible, some american makes it up for them multiple times over.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 10, 2018

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
sorry grouchio. i kind of think of you as a gentle alien, mostly due to your avatar, but i'm not laughing at you. anyway trying to predict the trajectory of scientific advancement is a crapshoot because we tend to make progress in long periods of incremental work punctuated by crazy leaps that are the only time the general public realises anything's even going on, so much like a whole generation woke up one day to an announcement that we were going to the moon, so hopefully you will wake up one day to an announcement that we're colonising a distant solar system and you're invited

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nocturtle posted:

Right on schedule:

came to post this dose of horror, should have guessed someone would beat me to it

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Just to clarify, humans are not going to leave Earth in any meaningful numbers.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Just to clarify, humans are not going to leave Earth in any meaningful numbers.

I was going to give us the solar system at most.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The Groper posted:

I was going to give us the solar system at most.

I would think we'll do space tourism but I don't know if there will be colonies on mars or whatever.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

space colonization more like spraying genetic material at earth-likes in space and hoping something sticks

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Shifty Nipples posted:

I would think we'll do space tourism but I don't know if there will be colonies on mars or whatever.

Nah just as an absolute upper limit of humanity's might we colonize the jovian moons and maybe some floaty Venus platforms. We're too far out in the space boonies for interstellar anything to happen using actual biological travelers. It requires generation ships and there's plenty of reading on why that won't work out well. But we're not going to solve our problems here so whatever.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 11, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

space colonization more like spraying genetic material at earth-likes in space and hoping something sticks

... there's a semen joke in there somewhere but I'm too tired to figure it out.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

double nine posted:

... there's a semen joke in there somewhere but I'm too tired to figure it out.
Hey, it's not like there isn't precedent (NSFW text).

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

hobbesmaster posted:

No matter how hosed up we make the planet it’ll be easier to create artificial environments on the ground than in orbit let alone “the stars”

Hahha humans are only barely learning just how interdependent they are on other terrestrial species, especially bacteria and other parts of the microbiome. LOL if humans ever make it into space. Something totally unable to come back to Earth will be born within a couple of generations if they don't see "humanity" as the total ecosystemic network.

Also - and not to you in particular, but more generally - methane clathrates add up to more pump, no matter how you quibble or agrandize about the number of emissions from a particular ridge. Global methane monitoring and modeling is a chaotic field, and the general sense is that we are underestimating both the global methane cycle's volatility and, thereby, its long-term impacts on our experience of climate change. Low ball estimates are nice, but we can't really say how much it will factor into long-term projections of climate - or even why it varies so much!

For a short read in Science : Nisbet, E. G., Dlugokencky, E. J., & Bousquet, P. (2014). Methane on the rise—again. Science, 343(6170), 493-495.

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
microbiology is one of the sciences that will save us from climate change tbh. sometimes i feel like we're not advancing fast enough to preserve the species, but then i remind myself that the theory of evolution was only published like 150 years ago, and that was around the same time we learnt that you should wash your hands before doing surgery, so yeah we're still moving pretty fast. science only seems to be in a slump on human terms (what have we achieved in my lifetime? gently caress-all!) but on its own terms it's chugging along just fine, we won't go extinct, we'll figure it out

it would really help if we got rid of a certain someone, though

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Donald J Trump posted:

microbiology is one of the sciences that will save us from climate change tbh. sometimes i feel like we're not advancing fast enough to preserve the species, but then i remind myself that the theory of evolution was only published like 150 years ago, and that was around the same time we learnt that you should wash your hands before doing surgery, so yeah we're still moving pretty fast. science only seems to be in a slump on human terms (what have we achieved in my lifetime? gently caress-all!) but on its own terms it's chugging along just fine, we won't go extinct, we'll figure it out

why do you hate lowtax so much, what did he do to you

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Donald J Trump posted:

yeah if you give humans 200 or 300 years of earnest effort I think we could get to the point where we treat the ocean like the chemical reaction it is and have it nice and healthy. I just hope we don't blow past any tipping points that make it almost impossible to reverse. If we have to start engineering stuff in the stratosphere though, well, hope we solve Navier-Stokes soon.

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booourns posted:

why do you hate lowtax so much, what did he do to you
i don't know what you're talking about, i love lowtax like a brother, and i love something awful like an ugly, ugly nephew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

All of this discussion is making me fear that no matter what we do to combat climate change, that a combination of it, induced conflicts, rogue AI, (and now a methane-induced Permian extinction event!?) are going to wipe us out before we're ever able to exodus to other planets.

IMO this is the answer to the Fermi paradox