Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's gonna be Stamets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheetah7071 posted:

It's gonna be Stamets

My money is on Cornwell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Applewhite posted:

Actually we’re in the mirror universe RN. HTH

Wait, he ate the eggs?!? How the hell did I miss that?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

cheetah7071 posted:

It's gonna be Stamets

A sinister, deviant, hetrosexual Stamets!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Gonz posted:

Wait, he ate the eggs?!? How the hell did I miss that?

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/6wnmbr/i-made-the-smash-mouth-guy-eat-a-poo poo-ton-of-eggs

Although my favourite part of the whole thing (and I wish I could find the GIF) is when Smashmouth makes Fart eat the eggs and sort of does a little dance behind him to show how not-owned he was.

Well played Smashmouth, well played.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I enjoyed it. It was campy and I was looking forward to what happened next, which was good!
It still feels really 24 though. Thankfully like someone said earlier that fits really well in the mirror universe.

The show seems so much like it's set up as an anthology though. I know that was floated originally but it has all these things that are slowly being revealed. How will it work next season? It'd be nice to actually see and feel the klingon war happening as it's so disconnected from everything right now. Even in the mirror universe the Shenzou was able to talk to them from wherever it was and turn up really fast.
It makes the galaxy feel small as hell.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

It's gonna be Stamets

That would explain "don't go to the palace" very cutely I suppose.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

G-Spot Run posted:

That's an Alice in Wonderland reference though right? Not thinking of anything in the novel in particular, just sounds like it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

G-Spot Run posted:

They’ve established that he exists out of time, so he can probably see the near future

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The whole "we have no idea who the emperor is, there are no records" thing is stupid. How could the leader of the terran empire not be common knowledge on every computer system in the galaxy?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cojawfee posted:

The whole "we have no idea who the emperor is, there are no records" thing is stupid. How could the leader of the terran empire not be common knowledge on every computer system in the galaxy?

Maybe he's like the Banksy of totalitarian space government.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
From what im seeing, Discovery could benefit from occasional "Hey, Time Has Passed" bumps as individual episodes progress. Ham handed as that sounds.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So it's a safe bet at this point that Ash Tyler is Voq, ya?

SpeakSlow posted:

From what im seeing, Discovery could benefit from occasional "Hey, Time Has Passed" bumps as individual episodes progress. Ham handed as that sounds.

Possibly, but it's a nice change for practically every episode to take place seconds or minutes after the last.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

So it's a safe bet at this point that Ash Tyler is Voq, ya?

There's nothing to bet on, they've flipped the card already.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

There's nothing to bet on, they've flipped the card already.

I mean every individual way it could be true feels extremely implausible at this point, so you could bet on how.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I mean every individual way it could be true feels extremely implausible at this point, so you could bet on how.
Hasn't it been spelled out rather explicitly?

1. his body has been surgically transformed. -> presumably, it was Klingon/Voq before
2. there is no memory engram hidden below his personality -> his current personality is actually the fake one, overlaid on Voq

Sure, there'll be a reveal, but how can it anything but this ..?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't see it being anything other than Voq being surgically altered to look like a human and then having Tyler's personality placed over his own. I just wonder how much control Voq has. Is he always stuck in the background, is he aware of what's going on?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

Hasn't it been spelled out rather explicitly?

1. his body has been surgically transformed. -> presumably, it was Klingon/Voq before
2. there is no memory engram hidden below his personality -> his current personality is actually the fake one, overlaid on Voq

Sure, there'll be a reveal, but how can it anything but this ..?
If so,

Klingon heads are apparently huge for no reason

Starfleet medical scans and blood tests are worse than worthless

Tribbles like Voq

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Like how the gently caress is there a klingon disguised as a human and a tribble in this show and that is not a plot point. There is either a super clever reveal or it is an IDGAF of epic proportions.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i mean it's established that the computer and the doctor on the first run looked at a body with each bone broken in the exact same way that happens, coincidentally, to be the exact same as the injuries sustained in massive reconstructive surgery and no where else and went "wow klingon torture is pretty loving specific huh"

e: "speak! or we'll break the bone on the other side in exactly the same way!"

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 10, 2018

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

If so,

Tribbles like Voq

Klingon heads are that big to attract a mate.

Cojawfee posted:

People stopped taking records after going through 6 emperors in a month. When promotion is based on backstabbing, you don't last long at the top.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Klingons had a 'virus' which can significantly change the DNA of the host while keeping them alive. They went from Ridges to Ridgeless in that Enterprise episode.

Plus they had reference organs of the real Ash Tyler if they needed to swap some parts.

Mind/consciousness swapping has been a part of franchise for many multiple stories.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

If so,

Consider that ST aliens are literally "a human plus X". Considering humans are that way for a good reason (evolution), the default should be to assume it's cosmetic. It's all antlers.

The Bloop posted:

Ayup

The Bloop posted:

Tribbles like Voq
... Hm. Okay. That's a good one.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's a million really stupid things about Voq becoming Ash.

But still the one that bothers me the most is Voq is like the head of the Klingon purity faction and should want to remain as purely klingon as possible, more than anything else. Which he then accomplishes by drastically altering his body to pass as human, and loving up his brain so he thinks he's human.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Thee was a DS9 episode where the crew were surgically to become Klingons so it can be done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baron Porkface posted:

Thee was a DS9 episode where the crew were surgically to become Klingons so it can be done.
Klingons didn’t have crazy huge skulls in the DS9 version

I’m more interested in how they got Tyler’s personality into his head

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Yeah, but they just rocked up to a party. It's not like they pretended to be a PoW who got rescued and shot in the attempt and exposed to medical scans.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The mirror emperor is definitely going to be Georgiou, and Burnham will be the one that has to kill her to save her new friends.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hooooo-wee can't wait for burnham to get into another knife fight with a space emperor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Porkface posted:

I mean it was done in TOS too but klingons looked different then and no one was scanning that dude in as a recently-tortured chief of goddamn security.

TNG/DS9 tech is so far past these guys that it hardly matters what happens there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Chief of Security, Hugh Mann, reporting for duty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's a million really stupid things about Voq becoming Ash.

But still the one that bothers me the most is Voq is like the head of the Klingon purity faction and should want to remain as purely klingon as possible, more than anything else. Which he then accomplishes by drastically altering his body to pass as human, and loving up his brain so he thinks he's human.

I think this is intentionally ironic rather than just being dumb. They did say he would have to be ready to give up everything to get revenge, and he has, he’s given up the elements of his identity that led him to seek revenge in the first place — his klingonness, his albinism, seemingly even his consciousness/personality since he does not seem to have “reactivated” properly and clearly does not really remember being Voq.

I am struggling to understand what the point is of surgically turning Voq into a human though. Presumably they did have Tyler’s actual body on hand, or how else could they get their hands on his personality and memories? The episode seems like it’s trying to address this when it brings up the claim that Starfleet has medical tests that can check for hidden personalities and brainwashing, but this doesn’t cut any ice because 1) the test clearly isn’t so comprehensive that it could detect that “Tyler” is an implanted mind and 2) Starfleet also has medical tests that can check for being a secret loving Klingon! What are the writers going for with this that a simple Manchurian candidate plot wouldn’t have accomplished?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It probably doesn't help that Ash's story is garbage regardless of who he really is. Manufacturing drama and putting his entire ship at risk by lying about his fitness to serve is so tired and worn out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I don't really get what the plan is for Voq. He "escapes" and makes it back to Starfleet. Then what? He's not a higher up and he's only the chief of security because Lorca randomly decided to make him so. What could he have done as some random star fleet guy?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Unless Voq/Ash's plan is to destroy the data that Discovery has on how to see past the Klingon cloaking tech before Discovery gets it back to Star Fleet Command?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Unless Voq/Ash's plan is to destroy the data that Discovery has on how to see past the Klingon cloaking tech before Discovery gets it back to Star Fleet Command?

That's pretty prescient to come up with that plan before they even figure out how to do that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hate absolutely everything about Ash. The solider speech during the party, the Michael love thing, the Klingon thing (which this thread predicted quite well actually, from the beginning!), the trite "unfit for command" plot, the mind rape/stealing plot, the macho bullshit from the first moment on, everything everything.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That's pretty prescient to come up with that plan before they even figure out how to do that.

Universal Right Click Delete.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Voq wants to get revenge on Kol and presumably take over where T’Kuvma left off. I assume he was placed on the Discovery to steal it or at least the spore drive technology so that he can seize back the pride of place in the war effort from Kol. If he has any more concrete motivation, I can’t recall it.

At the moment though, he obviously doesn’t know what he is supposed to be doing.

e: surprised at all the hate for Ash in this thread tbh. He’s one of the only characters for whom the show successfully builds any pathos. Yeah it’s all PTSD cliches, but compared to whatever crap they are trying to pull with any other character it’s downright masterful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
At some point Voq will have to snap back in control and cause a bunch of problems. There's really no point to his character otherwise.