Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, if your server just unconditionally 301s all http network to https (which it should), I don't think there's a way to downgrade that in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Truga posted:

Yeah, if your server just unconditionally 301s all http network to https (which it should), I don't think there's a way to downgrade that in any way.

A sophisticated MITM could run a proxy that fetches content from your server over https, modifies it to suppress https links, and serves that to the victim over plain http. No certs mean you just blindly trust DNS to tell you what the authoritative server is. Or, they could just build a fake copy of your site, basically using their control over DNS to enhance a phishing attack.

HSTS makes sure that https connectivity is a latching operation - if you connect to the legit site once, it won't let you be fooled by an HTTP MITM ever again. Since a lot of threats involve rogue access points for mobile devices, it provides a useful enhancement.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

probably that if you're mitm, you can suppress the hsts header

If the browser visited a HSTS site before, then it should not allow it to load on HTTP without a complete cache clear.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think Truga means on first connection. Secure introduction is still a pain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's what the preload lists are for

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thanks Ants posted:

That's what the preload lists are for

The problem with preload lists is that there are only 3k domains on it . The requirements to get on it is easy but I'd you ever want to do something like change certs entirely with no upgrade path, i hear it's like getting your teeth pulled.

Also only that helps is that browsers can be assigned "secure" cookies so even if the mitm provided a non-ssl http version, the browser won't provide poo poo.

There's a good list of when it's vulnerable and considering a mitm attack.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What are the odds Oracle releases anti-Spectre microcode updates for SPARC processors lmao gently caress my life

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

The problem with preload lists is that there are only 3k domains on it . The requirements to get on it is easy but I'd you ever want to do something like change certs entirely with no upgrade path, i hear it's like getting your teeth pulled.

HSTS has nothing to do with certs--it just ensures that your browser will never make a request to a given domain using HTTP. So you can rotate certificates/CAs freely. Are you thinking of HPKP, which is indeed very dangerous if you lose your private keys?

(Stopping serving for HTTPS once you have served an HSTS header is hard, of course, but you should never stop serving HTTPS.)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

eversion posted:

HSTS has nothing to do with certs

Related to HKP, but preload does require certs as one of it's requirements

From hstspreload.org which Chrome uses and other browsers base their preloads on.

quote:

Submission Requirements

If a site sends the preload directive in an HSTS header, it is considered to be requesting inclusion in the preload list and may be submitted via the form on this site.

In order to be accepted to the HSTS preload list through this form, your site must satisfy the following set of requirements:

Serve a valid certificate.

Redirect from HTTP to HTTPS on the same host, if you are listening on port 80.

Serve all subdomains over HTTPS.

In particular, you must support HTTPS for the www subdomain if a DNS record for that subdomain exists.

[...]

It goes on, but certificates are critical.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 10, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Of course certs are required, they’re an essential part of HTTPS, pinned or no.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are you suggesting that HSTS preload also requires you to use HPKP, or what?

I mean, you always need a cert for https, the point in question is how easy it is to change what cert you're using later.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

What are the odds Oracle releases anti-Spectre microcode updates for SPARC processors lmao gently caress my life

Hopefully it IS specter and not meltdown. Paying oracle to patch in less performance. What a time to be alive.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It would be *so* awesome if the greybeard inventors of SPARC came out of hiding after a couple of weeks of hacking and published just this. Like, they just took the time from retirement to do that. But hey are SPARC processors vulnerable anyway?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

À propos HTTPS and 301 stuff, I've been away from the web scene for a while and imagine my surprise when I discovered that you can just use a thing called certbot to install valid, public certificates for your hosts without the hassle of buying them or adding your own CA for development. it's awesome and why didn't anyone thing of doing that sooner?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Because nobody was willing to do the work to run a CA for free until Mozilla and co stepped up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JazzmasterCurious posted:

It would be *so* awesome if the greybeard inventors of SPARC came out of hiding after a couple of weeks of hacking and published just this. Like, they just took the time from retirement to do that. But hey are SPARC processors vulnerable anyway?

They appear to be, they use speculative execution in the same manner.

incoherent posted:

Paying oracle to patch in less performance

So, normal then?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't find "predict" or "pipeline" in the wiki page; if the architecture doesn't have any of that, why would they be vulnerable?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can't find "predict" or "pipeline" in the wiki page; if the architecture doesn't have any of that, why would they be vulnerable?

I don't know from SPARC, but I can't imagine any modern processor doesn't use speculative exec or branch prediction in some manner or another. poo poo's been around since the 90s.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

SPARC is an interesting case in that it's a specification for a processor architecture as seen from the assembly level up, not the processor's internals themselves. Oracle doesn't make SPARC processors themselves; they license the specifications out to other companies like Fujitsu, Weitek, Texas Instruments, LSI, etc. who then go design and build their own SPARC architecture processors.

I know Fujitsu's had pretty deep speculative execution in their SPARCs since 2001. Possibly earlier.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The sparc procs in our machines are made by Fujitsu which apparently uses speculative execution, so they'd be vulnerable.

E:fb

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

:words:

Hallelujah, dumb again. :downs:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Everything old is new again:

https://twitter.com/qrs/status/950462488348446721

It's worse than you think:

https://twitter.com/0x6d696368/status/950479587515011072

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

It ALWAYS is. :sigh:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Infosec Thread: It's worse than you think

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aren't we used to this by now?
Virtualization, which only really became big in the 90s, is from the 70s.
Containers aren't a new thing, either - even aside from the fact that FreeBSD jails are from 1998, the idea itself dates back to the 70s.
CHERI, a capability-enforcing ISA based on RISC, isn't even settled enough that hardware can be fabbed - but the idea is from way back in the 60s, if I recall correctly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Aren't we used to this by now?

I know I am. Nothing gets me excited anymore and I'm already at the upper limit of drinking.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Full transparency for everyone - e-mail accounts open for everyone to see, free information everywhere and with regards to everything (except maybe bank accounts). As technology stacks become more and more complex and with one billion different features, it's impossible to protect everything. Add to this the eventual product that will automatically check for every known vulnerability in the entire stack and there's an easy way for anyone to get in your infrastructure and get privileges.

Diplomacy would be interesting in this case

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I fully expect Oracle to deal with SPARC microcode in such a way that it affects the licensing of their software.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Okay here's a fun scenario that we ran in to with SEP and the Meltdown patches:

Bunch of clients are still running 12.1 with a reboot pending to upgrade to 14. 12.1 clients installed the live update packages and created the meltdown compatibility reg keys so the patches will install. If they do, they will install the kernel fix and reboot only to come up on SEP14 with defs and engine from back in December that is not Meltdown compatible and boom, BSOD.

lovely temp fix is to constantly run a script on them that looks for SEP12.1 presence and deletes the compatibility registry key. Once the system has rebooted and taken 14, live update will fire and get the new eraser engine, compatibility key will be created and stick, then MS patches can apply.

gently caress. Me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't know from SPARC, but I can't imagine any modern processor doesn't use speculative exec or branch prediction in some manner or another. poo poo's been around since the 90s.

Itanium doesn't (in the hardware sense, anyway). Not doing OoO type stuff is/was literally that CPU's whole schtick.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Maybe itanium will make a comeback?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Evis posted:

Maybe itanium will make a comeback?

I think HP kept making them through the end of 2017 so maybe they're not dead!!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've got your Itanium laptop ready sir

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
So many of our machines are pre-Haswell or are Haswell and are from a local computer store, not an actual vendor.

gently caress me sideways.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think HP kept making them through the end of 2017 so maybe they're not dead!!!!

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3196080/data-center/intels-itanium-once-destined-to-replace-x86-in-pcs-hits-end-of-line.html

Not quite yet but it's a dead man walking

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

feedmegin posted:

Itanium doesn't (in the hardware sense, anyway). Not doing OoO type stuff is/was literally that CPU's whole schtick.

Bonnell and Saltwell Atoms as well, though Silvermont and beyond have it and thus are affected. So my old netbook is immune, wheeee.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

So many of our machines are pre-Haswell or are Haswell and are from a local computer store, not an actual vendor.

gently caress me sideways.

Good opportunity to get that fixed

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, so far as I can tell, my old Core 2 Quad seems immune. So yay for my kitbashed old crap.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Well, so far as I can tell, my old Core 2 Quad seems immune. So yay for my kitbashed old crap.

It's vulnerable. Have you run the microsoft utility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mewse posted:

It's vulnerable. Have you run the microsoft utility?

Yup.