Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess as long as you find that fun, go ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-j94S-br9E

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

video games:;

discuss

OK! What shall we discuss?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Today I returned from my 3 week vacation to Hawaii and boy I can't wait to sit inside and okay lots of video games!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phantasium posted:

It was insanely cool when it came out.

That day? The day of the incident?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I gotta do stuff but all I want to do is sit in the air con and play Nier: A. Summer is a hosed season and you're dumb as poo poo if you like it. imo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

Is Shenmue still worth playing?
I watched the Giant Bomb endurance run and I feel I got my fill so I'd just suggest watching that instead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm an expert on neither but i think that when shenmue went dormant for 15 years the yakuza series was the thing that moved in to fill the gap. from what i've seen of the latter it seems very similar. i don't really get the fanaticism people have for shenmue though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

update: i did not read the last page of this thread

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shogo was dope.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cowcaster posted:

i'm an expert on neither but i think that when shenmue went dormant for 15 years the yakuza series was the thing that moved in to fill the gap. from what i've seen of the latter it seems very similar. i don't really get the fanaticism people have for shenmue though

Nostalgia. It was like the first open world game that let you spend your day doing mundane poo poo and mind blowing for its time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nachos posted:

Nostalgia. It was like the first open world game that let you spend your day doing mundane poo poo and mind blowing for its time.

sure, sure. but if that were entirely the case you'd think more people would acknowledge it, it seems like most people just straight up love shenmue.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

sure, sure. but if that were entirely the case you'd think more people would acknowledge it, it seems like most people just straight up love shenmue.

ryu slams his fist on the counter, "you tell me why people like shenmue right now or i'll break every, -every- bowl, in this restaurant"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcJeJIqca4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do fandom wiki sites keeping showing me this ad

Why would I want to view this

wiki sites are going down the tube super hard, all those autoplay lore summary videos aren't actually made by the people who run the wiki, they're made by the people who run the site that hosts all those wikis. so they're full of inaccurate information. the one for ike from fire emblem pronounces his name 'eekay'

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

ryu slams his fist on the counter, "you tell me why people like shenmue right now or i'll break every, -every- bowl, in this restaurant"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcJeJIqca4

i also don't get why people love dota2 so i'm pretty sure i'm the one who's on the wrong side of history here

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

i also don't get why people love dota2 so i'm pretty sure i'm the one who's on the wrong side of history here

Its popular cause its free and teens 10 yrs ago, like all teens are dumb

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

Because it's impossible to play wrong. If you ever lose it was one of the other 9 people playing wrong, not you who played perfectly in every way. Pat yourself on the back. Maybe buy yourself a $1500 virtual hat. You deserve it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Because it's impossible to play wrong. If you ever lose it was one of the other 9 people playing wrong, not you who played perfectly in every way. Pat yourself on the back. Maybe buy yourself a $1500 virtual hat. You deserve it.

By not playing it, my win streak is 100%! I have mastered DOTA2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Huh, yume nikki got a steam release with a teaser for a new project announcement in a few weeks. That's pretty weird/cool

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello how is everyone's day going today?

I am doing something very stupid and dumb. I don't have anything important to do (I never do) so I decided to finally go through this rule book for that official my little pony dungeons & dragons thing because I promised KCB I'd learn to GM it for her and she is super excited about the idea of getting to play it with whoever I can rope into it so....that's all I'm up to right now. The game's systems aren't exactly tough or anything, thankfully. After all, the target audience is families where the adults would be teaching the rules to the kids as a means of introducing them to really lightweight RP games, so I can only imagine this will go smoother not actually having to explain stuff to a kid regardless of how simple it is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/951091371200466944

:f5:

First tweet after 4 years of silence.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

iwanttobelieve.jpg

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

VideoGames posted:

OK! What shall we discuss?

Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

I agree. I owned a PS2 at the same time as knowing someone with a dreamcast, and I always got the feeling that the PS2 was hitting the same kind of cultural milestone that the NES broke through.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

VideoGames posted:

I agree. I owned a PS2 at the same time as knowing someone with a dreamcast, and I always got the feeling that the PS2 was hitting the same kind of cultural milestone that the NES broke through.

And let's just compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games:

The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

is there a way to integrate portions of that post into every single one of my posThe Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What are you even attempting to do kewpuh?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kewpuh posted:

is there a way to integrate portions of that post into every single one of my posThe Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

Yes but lots of people have sigs disabled

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

What are you even attempting to do kewpuh?

UmMMM mabey have a intelligemt discussion about when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Kewpuh posted:

UmMMM mabey have a intelligemt discussion about when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

I should send this as message to AGDQ just to have it read out loud on The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Neva forget Deak

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Literally shaking my head at those people who have no concept of gaming ambrosia. To know the truth is to balance it with a fulchrum.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If only we lived in a world where the PS2 was a critical failure and the Dreamcast was a commercial success

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Dreamcast Will Rise Again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If only we lived in a world where the PS2 was a critical failure and the Dreamcast was a commercial success

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's hard to deny that human civilization took a hard turn for the worse after 2001 or so. I don't really remember what else was going on around that time, but the Dreamcast dying is what probably did it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't want to live in a world where one analogue stick was considered fine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seaman was more art than ico was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That time when my brother set the system clock on my dreamcast to three years in the future so that I load up Seaman to the somber tones of Leonard Nimoy heartbreakingly telling me that my Seaman had died.

• Locked thread