Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Uuuuugh

Getting reeeeaaaaalll tired of running into blatant hackers every session now.

This time around the spinning sniper was supported by two medics, with the remainder of the red team actively refusing to acknowledge their presence at best and cheering them on at worst.

Coupled with the long matchmaking times whenever my group of friends manages to get together for a few rounds, this is very quickly taking the air out of the game for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, coming up against groups of cheaters can be extremely frustrating, but it's fortunately pretty rare. Since October, I think I've run into one such group, as well as one hacker running a few multiboxed medics.
Lone hackers running the free aimbots that spam the chat are fairly common, but they're also easy to get kicked, since they are so obvious.

This is all Casual experience, obviously, are you playing Comp mode? I've heard horror stories about that place.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Catbots are back, but they seem to be restricted to Harvest

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Smissmas update!

New war paints, new cosmetics, and a sock full of gifts, including a knitted sweater for weapons:

You can also do grade trade up on war paints now, finally something to use all the Civic Duty and Civil Servant poo poo for. (I got a well-worn Autumn Mk.II for ten of mine.)

And fixes for Watergate, of all maps.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Plus another backpack slot increase AGAIN, this time from 2500 to 3000 max slots.

:getin:

Also additional festive weapons (from using Festivizers on base weapons)

Ubersaw, Dragon's Fury, Amputator, Air Strike, Back Scratcher, Scotsman's Skullcutter, Bazaar Bargain, Black Box, Claidheamh Mòr, Crusader's Crossbow, Degreaser, Loose Cannon, Persian Persuader, Detonator, Brass Beast, Holy Mackerel, Loch-n-Load, Powerjack, Iron Bomber, Reserve Shooter, Disciplinary Action, Family Business, Shahanshah, Scorch Shot, Shortstop, Soda Popper, Rescue Ranger, Tomislav, Panic Attack, Winger

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Apparently you can festivize Australiums now, though nobody's sure if that's an intended thing or not as it wasn't mentioned in the update notes. It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes either though, so who knows

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

I noticed this too. There seem to be a lot of people who came into TF2 from Overwatch

Which is surprising, since I thought people were going from this to Overwatch and either adjusting to it or just going back to TF2.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I feel like I have fun 1 out of every 5 games in Overwatch because I have to play heroes I don’t enjoy to have it not be an utter stomp. In TF2 I can play whatever and enjoy 4 out 5 games. That one game is usually bad because of blatant hackers.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I feel like I have fun 1 out of every 5 games in Overwatch because I have to play heroes I don’t enjoy to have it not be an utter stomp. In TF2 I can play whatever and enjoy 4 out 5 games. That one game is usually bad because of blatant hackers.

Overwatch emphasizes team play over individual skill. Timer abilities and ults have a very significant effect on gameplay, while the meat and potatoes of TF2 is placement and DM. This means that character selection matters a lot more, and makes it very rock-paper-scissors in a lot of cases. It's a lot harder to carry when you are going to be at a major disadvantage going up against the wrong hero, in a lot of cases you can't just DM your way out of it, you're dependent on your team to handle situations that are disadvantageous for you.

That's fine when you're with friends and you can work together but it's a recipe for rage when you're with a bunch of randos, which is one reason that the community is so utterly toxic in comparison to TF2. Not that TF2 players never rage but oh my god, half the time in Overwatch I felt like people were raging at each other before the round even started. Which is pretty logical when you think about it, one or two bad hero picks and you're kinda hosed. And that all comes back to how they emphasize timer abilities and ults over DM, because it makes hero picks extremely situational.

I'm sure there's probably a similar degree of salt in Competitive TF2 or TF2center or something too, but that's turbonerd stuff, 99% of players probably just play payload and A/D.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I tried giving OW a go on two separate occasions, but I just can't get into it. Every match feels the same, and the cast is (in my opinion) really boring personality-wise compared to the TF2 cast. I just don't have fun playing it, so why bother.

Also Sombra was a super letdown after playing Spy for so long. I wish other games managed to get a stealth/deception class right.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The issue with OW is that it's simply not fun to play alone, the same with any of the 5 vs 5 MOBA games.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lol if you think TF2 managed to get a stealth/deception class right

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Mystery heroes is the best mode in Overwatch and the only way to have fun

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

We Know Catheters posted:

Mystery heroes is the best mode in Overwatch and the only way to have fun

Not emptyquoting.

That and the seasonal events, they're good as a 10-20 minute filler.

crabf
May 29, 2015
i have no self control and went and opened 40 crates

5 crates later

i didn't catch the unbox screen for that one cause i figured after one unusual the luck well has run dry

merry Christmas to you too valve :)

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
goon luck strikes again

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Please post whenever you buy keys and don't get anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Okay I'll post every time I buy keys

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I feel I had a hacker quit after I called him out. Pyro moving forward , for a split second 90 degree turns and reflects my crossbow shot at me and continues on wm1ing at his other target.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What's the item that causes constant snow bursts to pop around the player?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lowness 72 posted:

What's the item that causes constant snow bursts to pop around the player?

Winter Holiday Noisemaker

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Playing today was miserable. Catbots seem to be making a return. Could barely play the game because I had to stop every 2 minutes to kick another one. It's like a loving hydra.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Winter Holiday Noisemaker

Back in the day I seriously would have paid like 10-15 bucks for an all year infinite use noisemaker. It was always fun cloak and daggering behind some sniper and just making noise in his ear the whole match.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I've tried a couple times over the years, but the other day without noticing I got The Boostie Boys achievement on an insanely tense and great match

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The issue with OW is that it's simply not fun to play

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gwaint posted:

Playing today was miserable. Catbots seem to be making a return. Could barely play the game because I had to stop every 2 minutes to kick another one. It's like a loving hydra.

Yeah, they're back in force, but they seem to only hang around KOTH maps for now. If you just uncheck those, you'll not run into them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I think OW has demonstrated that not bothering to implement matchmaking for so long was the best decision the TF2 team ever made.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think there are certain things TF2 could crib from OW, but overall TF2 is generally the more enjoyable experience. I really only get annoyed with TF2 if there are blatant hackers. Even with missed matched pubs I can usually do well enough to make it enjoyable. If one person isn’t playing well it really makes OW a chore.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tf2 is full of "skill moments" - bits where you do something awesome and are rewarded for it. You land an airshot on a bombing soldier/pyro and he explodes into chunks. You flank a medic out of nowhere and the dropped uber crackles over his body. You headshot a scout and his head snaps backwards then his limp ragdoll tumbles to the ground. You spin up and hose someone down at close range and his body just goes flying.

Overwatch lacks that visceral satisfaction - you point your gun at someone for a bit and eventually they just kinda vanish - and that's when you're actually fighting and not just standing behind a blue wall shooting at another blue wall because ???

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I totally agree. I think tanks make Overwatch stale and it’s not really fun to play as or against, but if you don’t have one you lost already.

If TF2 could bring over functionality like Lucio, Moria, Doomfist I think it could as a some interesting dynamics. We already have superior versions of most of the offense and defensive hero’s as it is, a few new healers might add new strats.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
My true dream is valve redoing tf2 from scratch so that its no longer a non euclidean mess of source hacks stapled together

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
I've been getting back into it and I already spent a bunch of money on bad random hats just to get mad at getting pubstomped all the time

I don't think I've played a single koth map without a catbot in the last 2 weeks and the other day there was a catbot on Badlands, he kept killing my team as they tried to leave and recap the second point on the hill. I hope this doesn't become a common occurrence outside of koth as well now because this is seriously sucking all the fun out of it for me

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The weakest parts of Overwatch are the ones where it tries to mimic TF2, because its design is too fundamentally different, so the bits that are similar to TF2 end up just feeling really off and underpowered.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

Tf2 is full of "skill moments" - bits where you do something awesome and are rewarded for it. You land an airshot on a bombing soldier/pyro and he explodes into chunks. You flank a medic out of nowhere and the dropped uber crackles over his body. You headshot a scout and his head snaps backwards then his limp ragdoll tumbles to the ground. You spin up and hose someone down at close range and his body just goes flying.

Overwatch lacks that visceral satisfaction - you point your gun at someone for a bit and eventually they just kinda vanish - and that's when you're actually fighting and not just standing behind a blue wall shooting at another blue wall because ???

TF2 at it's core is based around death matching which is innately satisfying if you enjoy the mechanics. OW really isn't. It's a huge difference between the games that lots of people seem to miss (which I understand because on the surface they seem quite similar).

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
I'd really like engineer to get some medic-tier support options. Don't get me wrong, dispensers are good for some stationary AoE healing and teleporters are useful and all but nothing beats the medigun and ubercharges for both offence and defence.

That's the one thing TF2 really could do with that Overwatch has nailed, providing a variety of effective support classes. Just having a second class that can reasonably be a dedicated team healer would be a breath of fresh air.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Give heavy a vending machine primary that he puts on his back. Gets a speed boost every time he throws food. Food regenerates based on damage done by fed team mates. Let it regenerate in 3 tiers like the vaccinator but depending on how many tiers you have filled before you throw food affects the size of the health pack. alt fire on full charge makes him crush a giant bag of cheetos that gives anyone nearby an artificial cheese induced high that gives them crits for a sort period. Maybe make that like the pyro's gas cloud so while it's there anyone stood in it deals crits/minicrits whatever..

Of course he'd need a new secondary weapon to help balance the lack of minigun. I dunno..maybe give him a hand gun (or 2) to burn through all those bullets he's carrying.

Hire me valve.

crabf
May 29, 2015
i get the itch if valve added new weapons at this point they'd be either hilariously strong or practically worthless so i'm fine with unlocks as they are

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I dunno, if I was given the choice between Valve adding some new weapons, or fixing 1) matchmaking 2) hacking 3) hitboxes 4) melee detection 5) balance, I'd definitely choose neither - give me more hats.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Otacon posted:

I dunno, if I was given the choice between Valve adding some new weapons, or fixing 1) matchmaking 2) hacking 3) hitboxes 4) melee detection 5) balance, I'd definitely choose neither - give me more hats.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Anyone have any cool direct hit videos? I've started using it and it feels like a slower quake rail gun. Its super satisfying to get kills with it but I'm always bottom-mid scoring. I mean that poo poo ultimately doesn't matter if you're able to push the game objective the same way you can otherwise but still... I mainly play on 32 person servers so I'm sure that has something to do with it.