Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The Locator posted:

Why would both of you think it would increase the shown DPS?
chance to ignite has a crappy multiplier and its main use is to, you know, ignite things. you are also using elemental focus which means you cant ignite anyway so using something with a bigger multiplier will have to increase your dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ok, thank you for all of that. I don't understand why the in-game stats on the character page are the complete opposite on those two support gems. Seems like the game itself would be better at knowing how the gems would work than anything else, but who knows why they are so different.

I changed up my flasks a bit, with a granite of staunching and removed one mana potion and will work on improving them more later. I still occasionally need a mana flask when I go dry for some reason, and since I have such low un-reserved mana a big mana flask might as well be instant.

Edit: Here is what the build guide says about the gems -
6 - link: Molten Strike - Ancestral Call - Multistrike - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Elemental Focus - Chance to Ignite/Concentrated Effect

For mapping, I suggest using Chance to Ignite for the #% More Fire Damage over Increased Area of Effect as we already get insane coverage. For bosses swap this with a Concentrated Effect for Point Blank and Overlapping Balls. If you do not like using Ancestral Call on serious endgame bosses, you can also use Fire Penetration

So that's what I was doing, just following his advice. I'll swap it around tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 10, 2018

J
Jun 10, 2001

That fuckin chaos orb hat what in the hell. Celestial flameblast is really awesome.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm pretty sure the tooltip difference on Molten Strike in-game is because it shows the melee hit's damage, which Conc Effect doesn't matter for.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Thus an example of how ingame tooltip is wildly misleading, for probably 80-90% of the skills in the game due to skill mechanics.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

hawowanlawow posted:

that's the build I run

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/rabble1310/characters?characterName=Astridelma

that's my character with gear and uniques from reading a couple guides and this thread. the only one that really matters for the build is shavronne's wrappings, but the scepter and helm are nice to have. the helm is dirt cheap, but the sceptre and wrappings are at least an exalt. I've had two exalts drop since I started playing a few weeks ago and that's what I spent them on.

Nice, your passives are mostly the same as mine so I don't think I'll need to make too many changes if I just copy your build. Thanks!

My character is ok as is, up to Kitava at least. I don't think I would ever have been able to beat him if dying reset the fight though, holy poo poo I must have died 100 times during that fight, it was insane! I did all the other boss fights in the game with no real issue, but Kitava was just ridiculous. I don't have to fight him on any subsequent characters right? Like I can just level then start doing maps from my hideout?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chaos Orb owns, but it really needs to have the halves float around a bit.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

I don't have to fight him on any subsequent characters right? Like I can just level then start doing maps from my hideout?

Nope. Your character can only do maps once they talk to Zana in the Prologue.

If it makes you feel any better, A10 Kitava is probably the biggest difficulty jump in the game...but by the time you get to the map version of him he should be a pushover.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Everyone having issues knowing what items are worth trading, including uniques, should install the item info AHK macro.

Ctrl+c (I think) over the item and it brings up an info screen. For uniques it will tell you what the possible rolls are. If they aren't near perfect, it's probably vendor trash. For rares, it will tell you the level of the rolls for each of the mods, and if they arent mostly t1 and t2, it's probably vendor trash.

Ctrl+alt+d will bring up a more detailed search which you can configure so that it only brings up pure upgrades and their prices.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Locator posted:

Ok, thank you for all of that. I don't understand why the in-game stats on the character page are the complete opposite on those two support gems. Seems like the game itself would be better at knowing how the gems would work than anything else, but who knows why they are so different.

I changed up my flasks a bit, with a granite of staunching and removed one mana potion and will work on improving them more later. I still occasionally need a mana flask when I go dry for some reason, and since I have such low un-reserved mana a big mana flask might as well be instant.

Edit: Here is what the build guide says about the gems -
6 - link: Molten Strike - Ancestral Call - Multistrike - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Elemental Focus - Chance to Ignite/Concentrated Effect

For mapping, I suggest using Chance to Ignite for the #% More Fire Damage over Increased Area of Effect as we already get insane coverage. For bosses swap this with a Concentrated Effect for Point Blank and Overlapping Balls. If you do not like using Ancestral Call on serious endgame bosses, you can also use Fire Penetration

So that's what I was doing, just following his advice. I'll swap it around tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks.

Yeah the bestworst part of this game is that the in game damage tooltips are usually a complete lie

For example Molten Strike's tooltip dps refers only to the melee strike which literally no one gives a poo poo about compared to the meatballs themselves (which elefocus and conc effect significantly improve), while elefocus for example would probably lower the ingame tooltip because poe is loving dumb sometimes

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 10, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In fact a remarkable amount of tooltips and charsheet information is a lie, such as armor, and when you realize how crit chance and accuracy interact you'll wonder why they bothered

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Got incredibly bored with softcore so i checked out hardcore again...
Sunk a few characters so far, heres some questions:

How do you prepare for act5+ bossfights?

Innocence basically oneshot me unavoidably, where he placed his flameblast under me exactly 2 frames after i started the animation to recast my golem and not even my quicksilver +20% boots got me out in time.
I had 1500hp and 76% fire resist at that point and basically thought id be in good shape but got noped.
do you overlevel for bosses, do you buy kills, whats your approach to make it through the core game on a new character that has no access to heavy twink gear (which wouldnt have helped me out much anyways i guess)

I really think id like to get a hardcore league going next time around and want to train, but so far all my attempts ended in oneshots or instagibs from damage sources i had not expected to be there, and we are talking about levelling not stupid map mods...

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Have 2k HP for a5, 4k for a10 Kitava. Only thing that consistently fucks me up in the last fight is his fire starting under me in one corner with no way out. I probably just need to learn the tell better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

In fact a remarkable amount of tooltips and charsheet information is a lie, such as armor, and when you realize how crit chance and accuracy interact you'll wonder why they bothered

this is part of the game's deliberate effort to appeal to diablo 2 fans

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I've got a couple of dozen hours in this game now and seriously, gently caress the loot system. I've got one character around lvl 50 and another at 70 and I still haven't gotten a single legendary I can use. The ones I have gotten seem like complete trash too so not even worth trying to trade. I'm really liking everything else, but this is really starting to bother me. Does it get better at the endgame/doing maps and such?

Last year I saw a build from someone abusing the fact that the "+100% damage on low life" from Redbeak, a common low level unique, applied to everything and so made it reasonably viable for casters reserving their life with auras (thus being permanently on low life).

I've seen someone sell me a Lycosidae for a few alc because it was a "low level trash unique", ignoring the fact that at the time, "Your hits can't be Evaded" was considered one of the biggest DPS increases in the game for some crit-based builds because apparently critical strikes need to roll accuracy twice.

Like people have been saying, the unique items in this game are not the same as they are in Diablo. They're freeform and most likely made in advance pre-nerfed expecting some crazy unforeseen interaction because there are so, so many modifiers that interact with each other in this game. There are players who play/invent "hipster" builds by trying to figure out these interactions out of budget unique items that seem like complete trash.

From time to time someone figures out, out of nowhere, a build using some budget uniques no one cared about and their price jumps from a few alc to multiple chaos/exalts. Sometimes that also happens when Mathil mention en passant the thought of using an item for a new build.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 10, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

wizard on a water slide posted:

this is part of the game's deliberate effort to appeal to diablo 2 fans

I don't think that's true at all? I'm sure GGG would implement a more accurate version that could combine multiple hits (e.g. Molten Strike + Balls instead of just Molten Strike) if they were making an engine with the manpower they have today but since it'll never be entirely accurate due to the amount of conditional modifiers they probably view it as good enough.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Innocence basically oneshot me unavoidably, where he placed his flameblast under me exactly 2 frames after i started the animation to recast my golem and not even my quicksilver +20% boots got me out in time.
I had 1500hp and 76% fire resist at that point and basically thought id be in good shape but got noped.
do you overlevel for bosses, do you buy kills, whats your approach to make it through the core game on a new character that has no access to heavy twink gear (which wouldnt have helped me out much anyways i guess)

I don't play hardcore, but I've heard numerous people that do say it's balanced around having a logout macro, one that does a TCP disconnect, which is apparently faster/more reliable than alt+f4. This seems like the exact situation where you'd need to use it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

omeg posted:

Have 2k HP for a5, 4k for a10 Kitava. Only thing that consistently fucks me up in the last fight is his fire starting under me in one corner with no way out. I probably just need to learn the tell better.

When he does the arena wide fire there's a really specific scream/yell thing that kitava does to warm you. Once you figure out that sound it's pretty easy to get to the opposite corner or bail if you can't.

And we'll, if the other guys getting one shot while recasting golems he probably started at a bad time when he should have been moving around (start casting/attacking after he's winding up the attack but you're some place safe) or have a movement skill available to get out of the way. Flame dash/whirling blades/shield charge should all let you Dodge any flame blast in the game really.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah the bestworst part of this game is that the in game damage tooltips are usually a complete lie

For example Molten Strike's tooltip dps refers only to the melee strike which literally no one gives a poo poo about compared to the meatballs themselves (which elefocus and conc effect significantly improve), while elefocus for example would probably lower the ingame tooltip because poe is loving dumb sometimes

Welp... guess it's time to figure out that builder thingie, as I stupidly assumed that watching that in-game number as I switched in/out different gear and jewels in the passive tree would actually be giving me good information. Trying out all the different gems in the passive tree especially is going to be time consuming as hell I imagine compared to just swapping the gems in/out while watching that number change.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Can you guys confirm that using a chaos/scour orb on an item won't remove an enchantment?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 10, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nice, your passives are mostly the same as mine so I don't think I'll need to make too many changes if I just copy your build. Thanks!

My character is ok as is, up to Kitava at least. I don't think I would ever have been able to beat him if dying reset the fight though, holy poo poo I must have died 100 times during that fight, it was insane! I did all the other boss fights in the game with no real issue, but Kitava was just ridiculous. I don't have to fight him on any subsequent characters right? Like I can just level then start doing maps from my hideout?

You'll probably need to put some points into health nodes until you get the wrappings. Zealots oath isn't really worth it until you go full ES so those points would be good to use. There are health nodes right below increased AoE over there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Can you guys confirm that using a chaos orb on an item won't remove an enchantment?

I know it won't get rid of lab enchants at least. I think having a master enchant would prevent you from rolling a potentially better enchant of the same type.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Can you guys confirm that using a chaos/scour orb on an item won't remove an enchantment?

Will not remove Lab enchantments (anything that changes an implicit mod can remove a lab enchantment, but that's like... vaal orbs or using the lab font again). It will remove any master crafted mods that are not protected by a meta mod (e.g. the "cannot change prefixes" meta suffix will cause a chaos orb to reroll all suffixes, including the meta mod, but won't touch the prefixes)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Do I leave this alone, or see what else I can cook up? I guess the only way for this to be better is A. more life and B. dexterity.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Count Uvula posted:

I don't think that's true at all? I'm sure GGG would implement a more accurate version that could combine multiple hits (e.g. Molten Strike + Balls instead of just Molten Strike) if they were making an engine with the manpower they have today but since it'll never be entirely accurate due to the amount of conditional modifiers they probably view it as good enough.

but on the other hand GGG wants us to find stuff out for ourselves, it just might not be the reason "to copy D2"

there are lots of things that are not obvious that instead generate engagement with the game, and engagement = $$$ for their business model

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jusupov posted:

shaped vault with monstrous treasure and beyond was p amazing

pour one out for all those 6 sockets you left on the floor

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Do I leave this alone, or see what else I can cook up? I guess the only way for this to be better is A. more life and B. dexterity.

c. a better base

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

..btt posted:

I don't play hardcore, but I've heard numerous people that do say it's balanced around having a logout macro, one that does a TCP disconnect, which is apparently faster/more reliable than alt+f4. This seems like the exact situation where you'd need to use it.

Endgame is balanced like that. The main story isn't.

Holyshoot posted:

c. a better base

VD enchant on an elder base is going to be money no matter what base it is

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 10, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the way the devs balance the game and economy around third party sites and scripts is weird as poo poo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

hawowanlawow posted:

the way the devs balance the game and economy around third party sites and scripts is weird as poo poo

Some things make perfect sense, like the loot filters. Others are more like their hand was forced.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I have no regrets spending $15 on a polar bear cub.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

there are lots of things that are not obvious that instead generate engagement with the game, and engagement = $$$ for their business model

Or, you know, it could make a lot of casuals get frustrated and quit too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The skill tree is going to weed out a whole bunch of people before loot filters imho.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

hawowanlawow posted:

no you see this lets players interact with each other and it makes the game feel alive or so i'm told.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

euphronius posted:

The skill tree is going to weed out a whole bunch of people before loot filters imho.

I didn't mean the loot filters so much as the character screen giving the player bad information like I just discovered with the recent discussion about that. I'm still enjoying the game enough at the moment that I grabbed the poe builder thing and figured out how to display the proper information, but I can see how that would turn an unknown number of people off to the game.

Dumb/casuals like me can blindly follow a build-guide, but when picking up gear to progress and finding out that the in-game information is completely wrong is pretty annoying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think the game even tries to figure out Ruthless.

Also the guide you are following for your first 10-20 characters should alert you to the proper gems.

I mean a guide at its core is gem links, skill tree and what uniques you want/need.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 10, 2018

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I just recently got to the point of using sextants to really get maps rolling. However I'll be honest I don't feel like I'm coming out ahead in drops. My strat is this shaped Atoll for 11, shaped dunes for 12,and I think it's infested lair for t13. I'm using sextants on atoll but not dunes or lair. I really feel like I don't come out ahead at all when using sextants. It seems like a ton of currency for the possibility of returns. In fact I've had maps where I've just alched and went and come out with 10x the loot as maps that are sextanted up, rerolled for good mods, and used Zana mods.

Is there any method to this madness at all? I feel like I'm just breaking even unless that exalt drops or I get lucky with diving cards.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

its volume that makes sextanting good. Like, running a thousand shaped vaults you'll see an increase, but since its all random if you're not slamming through maps like crazy you very well might see losses over like 100 maps.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the bar for casual in this game is really high

I just saw a video on YouTube called "farming currency for casuals" and it was 40 minutes long lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
With the price of sextants being what they are, you basically have to first use a bunch to block out the bad mods so that you're almost guaranteed good ones. And then you have to run the map a lot to recover the cost of blocking in the first place. Wearing IIQ gear helps as well.

Of the ones you listed only Atoll really seems to be worth doing it on because the maps are placed densely enough on the atlas to take advantage of blocking.