Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's to sell the comic. That's why he's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought Meggan conquered and/or liberated Hell because Brian Braddock ditched her. She came back because Dr. Doom helped a fellow Romani get out so they could shoot vampires at the Moon, or stop them from bombarding Earth from the Moon. One or the other.

Both?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

mind the walrus posted:

but the panels posted are the finale of the 00s Mystique series
Which wasn't bad, all things considered, but I can't not remember that she a) is constantly telling people that she's utterly naked, because she never wears clothes, just shapeshifts herself into looking like she's wearing clothes, and b) goes ahead and disrobes out of her standard PVC pants and halter top for a shower scene anyway.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheCenturion posted:

Which wasn't bad, all things considered, but I can't not remember that she a) is constantly telling people that she's utterly naked, because she never wears clothes, just shapeshifts herself into looking like she's wearing clothes, and b) goes ahead and disrobes out of her standard PVC pants and halter top for a shower scene anyway.

Do the pants and top turn back into her skin after she detaches them?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

prefect posted:

Do the pants and top turn back into her skin after she detaches them?

No.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That same series points out that the test-tube thing is basically an extension of her making glasses and jewelry. It's not used in a lab or anything, it's just to serve as a decoy for a real test tube.

I forget if she can actually make stuff like gold jewelry, or if it would turn out to be shiny cartilage under close examination.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

I thought Meggan conquered and/or liberated Hell because Brian Braddock ditched her. She came back because Dr. Doom helped a fellow Romani get out so they could shoot vampires at the Moon, or stop them from bombarding Earth from the Moon. One or the other.

Both?

She was in Hell because she sacrificed herself to allow Captain Britain, Psylocke, and Rachel Summers to hold off the damage to Otherworld caused by the start of House of M. Projective empathy plus continued hope meant she was able to recruit a demon army and liberate large chunks of Hell, because why the hell not?

Flash forwards: Dracula is trying to invade the UK with a vampire army, and cuts a deal with Doctor Doom for non-interference. The slight problem is that Drac's a hugely racist prick, and Doom just plain doesn't like him. So, Doctor Doom does as Doctor Doom does, and pulls Meggan (who, like Doom, is Romani) out of Hell in order to gently caress with Dracula.

T'be fair, that was just one of the many brilliant "gently caress you Dracula" moments in that series. Another great one:

Captain Britain and MI13 was a loving amazing series.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every time I assume you guys must be kidding, you're not.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

davidspackage posted:

Every time I assume you guys must be kidding, you're not.

Welcome to comic books lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here is the only lie in comic books:

"This story wrapped up with a satisfying and enjoyable conclusion that was respected by future writers."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm still not sure DigitalRaven didn't draw that page just to confuse us.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should read Captain Britain and Mi13. It’s real good.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Read Captain Britain and MI13. It's really goddamn good and one of the few times I've ever liked Marvel's vampires.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

Here is the only lie in comic books:

"This story wrapped up with a satisfying and enjoyable conclusion that was respected by future writers."

You know for decades there were stories you could point to and this would be true. Nobody hosed with Bucky, Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy or Jason Todd for years. There used to be a sacred handful of plots. Was Winter Soldier the first time a company messed with one of the previously untouchable deaths in comics?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't Red Hood happen at about the same time?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

MikeJF posted:

Didn't Red Hood happen at about the same time?

It was. To such an extent that for a "Ruin a great moment in comics" someone took the page where we first see the Winter Soldier and replaced it with the Red Hood. And it even perfectly fit with the style of art.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

purple death ray posted:

You know for decades there were stories you could point to and this would be true. Nobody hosed with Bucky, Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy or Jason Todd for years. There used to be a sacred handful of plots. Was Winter Soldier the first time a company messed with one of the previously untouchable deaths in comics?

What about the Clone Saga in the Spider-man comics? When did that happen? There were a shitload of "Character is back?!" "No, wait, that was a clone!" stories.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Jason Todd, Gwen Stacy, and Bucky all started happening between 2004-2008, with Jason Todd leading the way.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What about the Clone Saga in the Spider-man comics? When did that happen? There were a shitload of "Character is back?!" "No, wait, that was a clone!" stories.
Early to mid-90s. Aunt May and Peter's Parents are the two big ones I know.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mind the walrus posted:

Jason Todd, Gwen Stacy, and Bucky all started happening between 2004-2008, with Jason Todd leading the way.

Did Gwen Stacy ever actually come back? They did that absolutely idiotic thing where she had kids with Norman Osborn who grew up super fast, the girl looking exactly like her, but I'm pretty sure main universe Gwen's stayed dead.

Like there's a fuckton of clones, alternate versions from other universes, etc are running around but it isn't a Bucky or Jason Todd situation.

Isn't there also an evil Uncle Ben from another universe running around somewhere in 616 too?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
At least they let Mar-Vell rest in peace.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zore posted:

Did Gwen Stacy ever actually come back? They did that absolutely idiotic thing where she had kids with Norman Osborn who grew up super fast, the girl looking exactly like her, but I'm pretty sure main universe Gwen's stayed dead.

Like there's a fuckton of clones, alternate versions from other universes, etc are running around but it isn't a Bucky or Jason Todd situation.

Isn't there also an evil Uncle Ben from another universe running around somewhere in 616 too?

The Jackal has cloned Gwen several times over the years, but AFAIK the original Gwen has stayed dead.

Oh, and if we're talking about theoretically sacrosanct deaths that eventually got undone anyway: Barry Allen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toshimo posted:

So far

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I will burn the motherfucker down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toshimo posted:

They sorta brought him back as a villain briefly in A vs X but it was a clone or something.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

They sorta brought him back as a villain briefly in A vs X but it was a clone or something.

Are you thinking of when they brought him back around Civil War, but it turned out he was a skrull?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A Skrull clone for an alternate dimension!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm pretty sure the only people they've actually let stay dead are uncle ben and the Waynes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

McCloud posted:

I'm pretty sure the only people they've actually let stay dead are uncle ben and the Waynes.

Thomas Wayne is alive again in DC Rebirth, the current storyline whatever they're doing.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 10, 2018

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

They brought him back for real in Chaos War, albeit VERY temporarily. Granted I believe that brief return to life also had him team up with Dr. Druid and Deathcry...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McCloud posted:

Part of the resistance to them is how crucial they are to the origins of the heroes. Bucky was obviously a tragedy for Cap but he has no less reason or drive to be Cap just because Bucky is alive.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Secret Warriors #12

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Super Dan posted:

Are you thinking of when they brought him back around Civil War, but it turned out he was a skrull?

Nah, they brought him back in Secret Avengers during AvX, I haven't actually read the issues, just seen the covers, but for some reason the Avengers were fighting the Kree at the same time because of Phoenix BS so I don't know what the deal was.

I don't understand all the Phoenix hate, yes Jean Grey (or a clone or artificial construct whatever that retcon was) committed genocide, but both Rachel Summers and the resurrected Jean Grey had Phoenix powers for years without problems worse than accidently rearranging the molecules of Kitty Pryde's clothing so she looks like a baby.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Are you presenting us with a double double retcon where Jean Grey actually wasn't absolved of genocide because while it was the Phoenix Force in an artificial construct of her body that committed it, it was in fact the Jean Grey part of that which drove it to genocide because the other people with Phoenix Force powers haven't done that poo poo?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Are you presenting us with a double double retcon where Jean Grey actually wasn't absolved of genocide because while it was the Phoenix Force in an artificial construct of her body that committed it, it was in fact the Jean Grey part of that which drove it to genocide because the other people with Phoenix Force powers haven't done that poo poo?

X-men story lines make me go cross-eyed

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Thomas Wayne is alive again in DC Rebirth, the current storyline whatever they're doing.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong, but there might be a few issues I missed somewhere

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

McCloud posted:

I'm pretty sure this is wrong, but there might be a few issues I missed somewhere

It is wrong. The Thomas Wayne in question is the Batman from the Flashpoint alternate universe, who recently showed up for part of an issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

No, I was just acknowledging the fact that I don't really understand the original retcon because I haven't read X-Force, and also talking about the resurrected Jean Grey having phoenix powers in Grant Morrison's New X-Men maybe she didn't actually have those and she was just using the name, it's been awhile since I read them and I haven't really read much of the stuff immediately before that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Proteus Jones posted:

Grand design is trying to provide a fairly straight forward narrative and it still loses me in parts

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Secret Warriors #12
Illyana you're a teleporter. You can have cakes whenever you want. No one is buying it.

Proteus Jones posted:

When non-comics people ask me to describe how the X-Men fit into Marvel, I describe them as their own denser, crazier universe inside of the other Marvel stuff. Everything that is "comics" about comics is magnified, amplified, and distilled into pure "even we can't make sense of it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
She just wanted to steal the smart kid's cake.