Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Do not plug a mining rig into your company network wtf why does this need to be said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm tempted to collect all the bad ideas from this thread and put them in the OP as a sort of hall of shame

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you're asking if it's a good idea to run a mining rig on the same network as a machine with every customer name, credit card number and transaction that goes through your company

holy poo poo what the gently caress

a million, billion times no, how are you in charge of this

I should probably clarify that this is a company with a 3 person management team (including said boss) and 9-10 employees. We aren't Citibank. I'm not in charge of the system either, that's handled by the company that designed it, I am literally just that guy that "knows computers" around the office. The boss is the CEO, the President, and all those fun titles so he literally just had this thing delivered today and set it up himself in his own office with no notice. My job is to export the numbers from the terminals and put them into various spreadsheets, link those spreadsheets, and plug the resulting numbers into (separate) accounting software. I just also tend to take a bit more cautious approach to computer poo poo because I'm always the one fixing the little things.

Also no information of that kind is stored on these machines. If some mythical hackers managed to get everything on our side and the public company's side, they'd at most learn the shipments and payments made to other various depots in the area for the last 30 days - data is only kept that long, export it if you want it. Only raw numbers associated with 3-5 letter customer codes. The only thing any local security breach could get a hold of from us are things like how many kilograms of material and numbers of various containers (that have a deposit on them) we processed for customer AAA, AAB, AAC, etc for the last 30 days (for the curious, it has more extensive functions that we don't need to make use of). It's cash only, no credit cards or payments.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Do not plug a mining rig into your company network wtf why does this need to be said

It doesn't to me, I'm mostly looking for reasons to say to him.

Isolating it on the network at least sounds like something to start with.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/chrisbhoffman/status/950861459302445056

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

IN MATH WE TRUST

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fauxtool posted:

yeah dude just sell it here

my rx580 was doing 12.90 a day for a solid 3 hours today. wtf man

That... doesn't seem right. Whattomine has that at $5.31 a day (ignoring energy costs) for the most profitable coin.

On the topic of burstcoins. Holy poo poo does it take a long time to plot drives. I've finished with 1 tb out of the 32 tb array I'm setting up after 24 hours, with another 1.5 tb being processed via a cpu plotter over 3 machines and 7.25 tb being plotted using a gpu plotter. I have no idea how far along the gpu plot is because the command prompt for it stopped showing updates yesterday, but the task manager is still showing lots of activity on the drive so I'll have faith that it's still doing its job. There's still 22.25 tb that I haven't even started to plot yet. This could take a week or more.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Wow Kodak, you've gone a long ways downhill even in the last 10 years. Hell, even in the last 5 years. You OK buddy?

No, no thanks bud. I'm good on crack right now.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrousoxide posted:

That... doesn't seem right. Whattomine has that at $5.31 a day (ignoring energy costs) for the most profitable coin.

On the topic of burstcoins. Holy poo poo does it take a long time to plot drives. I've finished with 1 tb out of the 32 tb array I'm setting up after 24 hours, with another 1.5 tb being processed via a cpu plotter over 3 machines and 7.25 tb being plotted using a gpu plotter. I have no idea how far along the gpu plot is because the command prompt for it stopped showing updates yesterday, but the task manager is still showing lots of activity on the drive so I'll have faith that it's still doing its job. There's still 22.25 tb that I haven't even started to plot yet. This could take a week or more.

it wasnt "right", but this is nicehash where the value of the coin isnt what drives the price. Only what people are willing to pay to rent my hashing power

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

So I've never cared to get into cryptocurrency but as the "You know computers, right?" guy at my work I figure I better do something resembling due diligence.

My boss has bought a mining rig (no idea what kind, if that matters) and plans to plug it into our company network so he can run it without disturbing his baby at home.

Power/power cost isn't an issue - we sub-lease a space from a company that runs an automated recycling machine that can be reasonably measured in thousands of cubic meters in the same building so the increase in draw from a single rig is nothing.

However 4 proprietary/custom terminals we bought through the public company that oversees our industry are plugged into this same network. Those 4 terminals run custom Point of Sale software the public company developed for our industry which contains a lot of our company's raw data. That POS software is also connected at all times to the database at the public company.

I'm sure there's encryption and poo poo throughout our network, the terminals, the public company's database but despite assurances that he did his research I still feel like I better start asking around. Is it a good/bad/doesn't matter idea to have a mining rig connected to the same network as that kind of setup?

Giving admin rights to software created by a guy who was convicted of building and running botnets, then running the machine on a business network with point of sale software connected directly to a different company's financial database? I certainly don't see any risk in doing that!

Kibayasu posted:

I should probably clarify that this is a company with a 3 person management team (including said boss) and 9-10 employees. We aren't Citibank. I'm not in charge of the system either, that's handled by the company that designed it, I am literally just that guy that "knows computers" around the office. The boss is the CEO, the President, and all those fun titles so he literally just had this thing delivered today and set it up himself in his own office with no notice. My job is to export the numbers from the terminals and put them into various spreadsheets, link those spreadsheets, and plug the resulting numbers into (separate) accounting software. I just also tend to take a bit more cautious approach to computer poo poo because I'm always the one fixing the little things.

Also no information of that kind is stored on these machines. If some mythical hackers managed to get everything on our side and the public company's side, they'd at most learn the shipments and payments made to other various depots in the area for the last 30 days - data is only kept that long, export it if you want it. Only raw numbers associated with 3-5 letter customer codes. The only thing any local security breach could get a hold of from us are things like how many kilograms of material and numbers of various containers (that have a deposit on them) we processed for customer AAA, AAB, AAC, etc for the last 30 days (for the curious, it has more extensive functions that we don't need to make use of). It's cash only, no credit cards or payments.

It doesn't to me, I'm mostly looking for reasons to say to him.

Isolating it on the network at least sounds like something to start with.

You mentioned that the point of sale software is directly connected to another company's financial database. As "the computer guy" but not the actual IT person in charge of the network, how certain are you that a security breach won't have repercussions?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Giving admin rights to software created by a guy who was convicted of building and running botnets, then running the machine on a business network with point of sale software connected directly to a different company's financial database? I certainly don't see any risk in doing that!

You mentioned that the point of sale software is directly connected to another company's financial database. As "the computer guy" but not the actual IT person in charge of the network, how certain are you that a security breach won't have repercussions?

You're preaching to the choir, man. I'm not certain, that's why I'm asking. The thing showed up in my life literally 4 hours ago!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Wow Kodak, you've gone a long ways downhill even in the last 10 years. Hell, even in the last 5 years. You OK buddy?

No, no thanks bud. I'm good on crack right now.

They also started their own buttcoin (KodakCoin! Why not KodaCoin or something, yeesh), to double down on the insanity.

....and it seems to have worked, at least for now. Kodak is up 120% for the day (hasn't done anything to help their -$6 EPS, though!). If nothing else, time for all the C-levels to dump their stock before anyone notices that none of this makes any damned sense from a business stand point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

They also started their own buttcoin (KodakCoin! Why not KodaCoin or something, yeesh), to double down on the insanity.

....and it seems to have worked, at least for now. Kodak is up 120% for the day (hasn't done anything to help their -$6 EPS, though!). If nothing else, time for all the C-levels to dump their stock before anyone notices that none of this makes any damned sense from a business stand point.

The world's first film-based blockchain, permanently etched on microfiche in Kodak's ultra-secure vaults!

(you beat me to it)

https://twitter.com/sfiegerman/status/950823163075682306

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Which would be cooler if they weren't still down almost 60% for the year after this 120% rally:

But hey guys, now's the time to try literally anything, I guess. I mean, how much worse can you get than -$6 EPS on a stock that yesterday was trading at just over $3 and had lost 80% of it's value this year alone?

e; It might be worth it to make a bot that did nothing but scour news sites for companies announcing new block-chain initiatives, and whenever it found one, have it immediately buying $1000 of their stock, holding it for 24 hours, and then sell it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 10, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Kind reminder to verify the coin -> USD prices to withdraw from exchanges. Poloniex is charging 0.01ETH to withdraw :fuckoff: Convert it to something cheaper (LTC was basically 27 cents) and transfer it that way

e: For me to exchange under $100 worth of ETN right now, it is cheapest to go ETN -> BTC -> ETC -> poloniex ETC -> convert ETC -> BTC -> LTC -> quadriga LTC ($1.50) than to try and send it direct ($5.50 cheapest) :cripes:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 10, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

Which would be cooler if they weren't still down almost 60% for the year after this 120% rally

This is excellent if you’re a Kodak executive looking to sell in the next, eh, less than two years...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

You're preaching to the choir, man. I'm not certain, that's why I'm asking. The thing showed up in my life literally 4 hours ago!

Who manages your network? You should ask them.

At the very least you should ask the question in some other threads, since this thread doesn't really have the kind of experts you're looking for. This other thread may be a good place to start:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Who manages your network? You should ask them.

At the very least you should ask the question in some other threads, since this thread doesn't really have the kind of experts you're looking for. This other thread may be a good place to start:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832

Actually network engineering is my field and my title *does* have Expert in it, so...

Don't let your dipshit in a suit run loving cryptocurrency miners on the same network your customer and financial data goes through you nitwit. Tell him about the security ramifications, offer to put it in a separate VLAN that can route to the internet but not the corporate network, and if all else fails, polish up the resume, get paper copies of your recommendations as acknowledged by the boss, and enjoy your eventual twenty minutes at the witness stand.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kazinsal posted:

Actually network engineering is my field and my title *does* have Expert in it, so...

Don't let your dipshit in a suit run loving cryptocurrency miners on the same network your customer and financial data goes through you nitwit. Tell him about the security ramifications, offer to put it in a separate VLAN that can route to the internet but not the corporate network, and if all else fails, polish up the resume, get paper copies of your recommendations as acknowledged by the boss, and enjoy your eventual twenty minutes at the witness stand.

I am also an expert but after thinking about it, I disagree. I think you should definitely mine cryptocurrency at work. Also buy some bitcoins. As you can see it’s a more logical argument, so go for it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I am also an expert but after thinking about it, I disagree. I think you should definitely mine cryptocurrency at work. Also buy some bitcoins. As you can see it’s a more logical argument, so go for it

Actually you know what thinking about it yeah gently caress it this thread needs more schadenfreude content.

Offer to go halfsies with the boss.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Kind reminder to verify the coin -> USD prices to withdraw from exchanges. Poloniex is charging 0.01ETH to withdraw :fuckoff: Convert it to something cheaper (LTC was basically 27 cents) and transfer it that way

e: For me to exchange under $100 worth of ETN right now, it is cheapest to go ETN -> BTC -> ETC -> poloniex ETC -> convert ETC -> BTC -> LTC -> quadriga LTC ($1.50) than to try and send it direct ($5.50 cheapest) :cripes:

How are you exchanging ETN? Cyptopia?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

What are the ramifications? I have made it a point to avoid cryptocurrency in my life so what's the difference between this thing and adding just another computer to the network? Has there ever been any security issues with dedicated miners? I'm probably just not searching for the right terms on Google but all I've turned up is stuff about malware getting onto regular PC's. I can't just veto this thing and "I don't want it here because I don't know why" isn't going to cut it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Either segregate with a vlan, or pay $20 a month to totally mitigate the risk to your network using a dedicated LTE hotspot. The loss of productivity and revenue to the business for any downtime will totally outweigh the revenue a single 6/7/8 card miner will bring in.

If the guy has spare space and power by all means get a separate internet connection and network going, but don't plug that poo poo in to your network unless its walled off.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Winminer has been quite painless. They seem to be pretty obviously skimming compared to what every single mining profitability calculator says, but I still ended up with 19.61 actual dollars after 3 days, against 6 dollars in power use it's a good enough deal for me. Extremely easy to set up, you thought Nicehash was easy, Winminer you just download and give an email address and it's off. No dealing with bitcoins at all, it can pay you in straight Amazon or Paypal money. Payment happened in like 5 minutes from initiating it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

craig588 posted:

Winminer has been quite painless. They seem to be pretty obviously skimming compared to what every single mining profitability calculator says, but I still ended up with 19.61 actual dollars after 3 days, against 6 dollars in power use it's a good enough deal for me. Extremely easy to set up, you thought Nicehash was easy, Winminer you just download and give an email address and it's off. No dealing with bitcoins at all, it can pay you in straight Amazon or Paypal money. Payment happened in like 5 minutes from initiating it.

A lot of Winminer praise I had was erased once Nicehash also paid out daily with low fees. The way the wording and gui is setup makes me believe there will be greater fees later though.

Plus just looks at these rates. Thats on a 1080 and 1080ti (I know ive said this 900 times but I need to pinch myself daily)... despite all the :wow: $35/day spikes I jizz myself over, the actual average is definitely rising and through GDAX im able to drop all this directly into Ethereum which itself its going to the moon for who knows what reason. I can buy burritos for breakfast lunch and dinner on two video cards. Soon Im not sure there will be a burrito fancy enough to spend this all on

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

A lot of Winminer praise I had was erased once Nicehash also paid out daily with low fees. The way the wording and gui is setup makes me believe there will be greater fees later though.

With WinMiner you're paying for the simplicity. You don't touch the poop, you don't have to worry about wallets, conversions, exchanges, foreign transaction blocks, anything. You just press butan, get USD paid in PayPal or Amazon. I mean, you can get your money other ways, too, but there's really no point.

Nicehash's deal with Coinbase is somewhat suspicious, because the transactional costs for BTC are not negligible at this point, and asks deeper questions about the setup of a system that's already stolen $64,000,000 of people's money. Even if it is totally legit, you're still sitting on BTC, which you need to sell via Coinbase or some other exchange for a decent fee if you want to make it into spendable money. And every minute it sits in Coinbase is a minute you don't actually own it--it's another internal wallet, just like the one Nicehash got "stolen," so there are security implications that are pretty off-putting to a lot of people.

MPH isn't much harder to set up than Nicehash, and effectively pays out directly to ETH (or whatever else you want), pays about as well as Nicehash, and hasn't gotten cleaned out yet...

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is Winminer open to new users yet? Last time I tried they were closed due to the massive influx of Nicehash refugees.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

DrDork posted:

With WinMiner you're paying for the simplicity. You don't touch the poop, you don't have to worry about wallets, conversions, exchanges, foreign transaction blocks, anything. You just press butan, get USD paid in PayPal or Amazon. I mean, you can get your money other ways, too, but there's really no point.

Nicehash's deal with Coinbase is somewhat suspicious, because the transactional costs for BTC are not negligible at this point, and asks deeper questions about the setup of a system that's already stolen $64,000,000 of people's money. Even if it is totally legit, you're still sitting on BTC, which you need to sell via Coinbase or some other exchange for a decent fee if you want to make it into spendable money. And every minute it sits in Coinbase is a minute you don't actually own it--it's another internal wallet, just like the one Nicehash got "stolen," so there are security implications that are pretty off-putting to a lot of people.

MPH isn't much harder to set up than Nicehash, and effectively pays out directly to ETH (or whatever else you want), pays about as well as Nicehash, and hasn't gotten cleaned out yet...

I agree, but my understanding is they're just making much large payments to Coinbase while Coinbase itself just makes funds available to users without actually transferring any money at all thus avoiding fees completely. So Nicehash can just give them 100 bitcoins (for example) at a reasonable fee, much less than the percentage its making off mining, especially later when they start requiring fees for Coinbase transfers too.

Personally I like having it in Coinbase because thats yet another free and instant transfer to GDAX but its a lot of poop touching. Nothing will beat $10 payout limits directly to Paypal or Amazon with winminer. Its actually nice to have choices...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1gnoirents posted:

Plus just looks at these rates. Thats on a 1080 and 1080ti (I know ive said this 900 times but I need to pinch myself daily)... despite all the :wow: $35/day spikes I jizz myself over, the actual average is definitely rising and through GDAX im able to drop all this directly into Ethereum which itself its going to the moon for who knows what reason.

stop mining to an exchange wallet, especially coinbase good lord

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What would you suggest, electrum?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kibayasu posted:

What are the ramifications? I have made it a point to avoid cryptocurrency in my life so what's the difference between this thing and adding just another computer to the network? Has there ever been any security issues with dedicated miners? I'm probably just not searching for the right terms on Google but all I've turned up is stuff about malware getting onto regular PC's. I can't just veto this thing and "I don't want it here because I don't know why" isn't going to cut it.

you're putting a money generating machine on the same internet connection as the rest of your company and neither you or your boss know how to secure it. it's like walking around south chicago with a big sack full of money with a dollar sign on it and bills are falling out and you look really worried and you're trying to pick up all the money but it's flying everywhere oh no

i mean, whatever, your CEO is super, super dumb so if this dumb scheme doesn't sink the company something else will. just let him plop a computer full of closed source mining software written by estonian teenagers on your company network, you might as well get it over with.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Mining to one isn't problematic in and of itself. The problematic part is letting large amounts of money sit there for a long time because it's too much :effort: to move it to a real wallet. BTC, in particular, is problematic in this regard because moving it to a real wallet is expensive--the options that pay you out in ETH or LTC or something else that you can reasonably transfer for under $1 are a lot better idea.

But yeah, I wouldn't let hundreds of dollars chill out in an exchange/internal wallet.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Goon posted:

Is Winminer open to new users yet? Last time I tried they were closed due to the massive influx of Nicehash refugees.

Yes, by the time I noticed they were paying like 7-8 dollars a day I was able to download and run it no problem without a hint of being closed for new users. Maybe they scaled up or maybe people went back to Nicehash.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Winminer works, but I'm thinking of moving away not for the payouts but for the disgusting truth that it demands admin access.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Winminer works, but I'm thinking of moving away not for the payouts but for the disgusting truth that it demands admin access.

It only needs admin access to let you remotely turn a rig on/off or reboot itself.

When the admin prompt appears, you can just cancel out of it and WinMiner will run fine, which is how I do it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't require admin access, only for stuff like fully autonomous headless operation. If you have physical access to the computer and it has a monitor+KB/M connected there's no reason to give it admin access.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Only if your are trying to hold a bunch of coins and not frequently cash out of fake internet money. Like if you want to hold ETH for reasons but only have nvidia hardware, you mine some more profitable nvidia favoured coins to an exchange, convert, and transfer the ETH to a hardware/offline/paper wallet for safe keeping. Holding coins is pure speculation though, mining to instantly sell is income generation by comparison.

DrDork posted:

Mining to one isn't problematic in and of itself. The problematic part is letting large amounts of money sit there for a long time because it's too much :effort: to move it to a real wallet. BTC, in particular, is problematic in this regard because moving it to a real wallet is expensive--the options that pay you out in ETH or LTC or something else that you can reasonably transfer for under $1 are a lot better idea.

But yeah, I wouldn't let hundreds of dollars chill out in an exchange/internal wallet.

This guy gets it. Don't leave what you can't afford to lose on an exchange for any length of time.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Winminer folks, what are you all set up for mining? It's autoselected ZEN on a 1080 Ti, wondering if there's something better.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

When the admin prompt appears, you can just cancel out of it and WinMiner will run fine, which is how I do it.

Weird. When i get the blue UAC prompt and it hit no it never ever loads.

Kazinsal posted:

Winminer folks, what are you all set up for mining? It's autoselected ZEN on a 1080 Ti, wondering if there's something better.

You can either let it run or turn off express benchmark and let it run through a lot of things every 24 hours. The latest update allowed setting your own hash values manually and adjusting the bias of the script to change coins for power users, but if you're power user-ing the butts you're doing it wrong.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
HUSH pays like 10+ dollars per day, but someone's only paying for that a few hours a day. I let it auto switch and don't pay much attention except to check in every few hours to make sure it's not paying out too low to not be worth it. Mine's doing ZEN right now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah I'm just going to let it run and do its thing. Thinking of maybe tossing my old R9 290 in a board from goodwill with a spare EVGA PSU I have lying around, setting the fans to low speed, and using that to heat my apartment with burritos. Dunno if a GPU that old will even hit the break-even point though.

• Locked thread