Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milky Moor posted:

Well, I mean, it's basically them finding Christ and turning him from a sweet good boy to a child-murderer so that might be intentional?

From Child Murderer to Child Murderer: A Star Wars Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anakin was always bad. The Jedi were too blind to see it though. Well yoda and mace did see it but trained him anyway.

Killing children is his speciality. He does it it two movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Wars didn't really do elseworlds, but I'd love to see a story of what if Qui Gon stayed in the ship and Obi Wan went for the part and Anakin grew up working for Sebulba.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shanty posted:

I don't know about Marxist, but two hosed up things are happening in this scenario: A) the government is sending scary tough guys to force a settlement in a trade dispute B) the scary tough guys turn out to be the holy monks we thought were guardians of peace and love.

The thing is, the US and Canada are in the middle of a trade dispute right noe. Canada claims the US is imposing illegal tariffs on Canadian lumber. The US is claiming the Canadian government is unfairly subsidizing the Canadian lumber industry. This has been going on for almost 40 years, there have been a bunch of lawsuits, WTO rulings, and high level diplomatic summits, and it's a big deal to both countries and their timber industry. What hasn't happened, though, is either country blockading the other and massing troops on the border.

This isn't just the Jedi setiling a trade dispute. This is the Trade Federation commiting acts of war against a Republic member world, and that's why the Jedi are ready to be aggressive....to stop it from escalating to all out war and invasion

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Epicurius posted:

The thing is, the US and Canada are in the middle of a trade dispute right noe. Canada claims the US is imposing illegal tariffs on Canadian lumber. The US is claiming the Canadian government is unfairly subsidizing the Canadian lumber industry. This has been going on for almost 40 years, there have been a bunch of lawsuits, WTO rulings, and high level diplomatic summits, and it's a big deal to both countries and their timber industry. What hasn't happened, though, is either country blockading the other and massing troops on the border.

This isn't just the Jedi setiling a trade dispute. This is the Trade Federation commiting acts of war against a Republic member world, and that's why the Jedi are ready to be aggressive....to stop it from escalating to all out war and invasion

Unless the Republic has laws favoring the Trade Federation being allowed to do this. Keep in mind, we don't really know what the laws are regarding this in the Republic, and there's not much reason to assume they're the exact same that dictate international law in our world. Naboo and the Trade Federation are both members of the Republic, with representation. So it is entirely possible the Federation got a law passed at some point allowing them to blockade a planet in cases of blah blah blah.

Like, I don't really know why this would be legal. But the Trade Federation guy sure seems to think it's legal.

The troops, however, are pretty damning. But the Jedi don't know about those until they get there.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cnut the Great posted:

They're not a bunch of "uppity aliens." They're corporate assholes in charge of a private monopoly who are starving a planet to death because they don't want to pay taxes. How are these guys the sympathetic ones in a Marxist reading?

And you missed my point that these magical monks aren't omnipotent superheroes who can do whatever they want. You and others seem to be operating under the assumption that Tatooine is the only planet where bad things are happening. There are bad things happening all over the place. You seem to think the Jedi should be going around toppling governments and completely redefining the social and political order of the entire galaxy, because it's just that easy for them. It's not that easy for them. They're people, like you and me. Slightly more powerful, but not all-powerful.

You're basically asking why there's still slavery, injustice, and evil in the world if Jesus supposedly won the ultimate victory 2,000 years ago. The spiritual victory is important because it's the blueprint for social change. It's not an instant panacea that magically turns the world into a paradise. The struggle for justice never ends. There's no endpoint. There's never going to be a time when you can say, "Nothing bad is happening anymore, everything is perfect." Things can always get better. Change is always necessary. You're the one missing the point.

But I know exactly what you think should have happened. You think the Jedi should have joined with the galactic proletariat to form a vanguard movement and gone around slaughtering all the bourgeois oppressors with their lightsabers in order to bring about a communist utopia. Sorry, that's just not what these movies are about. These movies are, I'm sorry to inform you, insufficiently Marxist. They are Bad Movies. They have the Wrong Ideology.

That the Jedi knights are so powerfully integrated into the liberal order that they can barely even see slavery right in front of their own noses makes the movie MORE Marxist, not less. It’s a cogent and consistent critique. Jedi who just snap and foment a droid rebellion or fix all the Republic’s injusices by slaying Palpatine would be far less historically materialist, and so far less believable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

That the Jedi knights are so powerfully integrated into the liberal order that they can barely even see slavery right in front of their own noses makes the movie MORE Marxist, not less. It’s a cogent and consistent critique. Jedi who just snap and foment a droid rebellion or fix all the Republic’s injusices by slaying Palpatine would be far less historically materialist, and so far less believable.

Yeah one existed and Obi wan thought he was lying hahah.

I think that was your joke. Sorry for stepping on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Like, I don't really know why this would be legal. But the Trade Federation guy sure seems to think it's legal.

The troops, however, are pretty damning. But the Jedi don't know about those until they get there.

I think I remember reading around the time AOTC came out that "Master Sifo-Dyas" who ordered the clone army was supposed to be Sidious in disguise posing as a Jedi master, but then in subsequent years there was all this EU stuff about how Sifo-Dyas was a genuine Jedi who was always worried about the stability of the Republic and was persuaded by his friends Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious (in their civilian guises) that what the Republic really needed was an army.

However, I suppose the EU stuff is no longer canonical. What's the official word at the moment?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

euphronius posted:

Yeah one existed and Obi wan thought he was lying hahah.

I think that was your joke. Sorry for stepping on it.

I didn’t even think of that. I’ve revealed myself as a fake Star Warser

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think I remember reading around the time AOTC came out that "Master Sifo-Dyas" who ordered the clone army was supposed to be Sidious in disguise posing as a Jedi master, but then in subsequent years there was all this EU stuff about how Sifo-Dyas was a genuine Jedi who was always worried about the stability of the Republic and was persuaded by his friends Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious (in their civilian guises) that what the Republic really needed was an army.

However, I suppose the EU stuff is no longer canonical. What's the official word at the moment?

There is none. The topic hasn't been approached, that I know of, since the EU purge.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's canonically not Sidious in disguise or anything; he's a separate guy who did in fact fear full-scale war and ordered the clone army.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough - I'm happy to accept it at face value that he's just a Jedi we'd never seen before but I remember when I was 11 feeling really :smug: to have realised how "Sifo-Dyas" was obviously a fake name used by "Sidious". I think it's fine either way.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sifo-Dyas was a real person even in AOTC. Obi-Wan and Yoda talk about him and that he died ten years ago. However, in earlier drafts of the script the army was ordered by "Sido-Dyas", who was just an alias of Sidious.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

Like, I don't really know why this would be legal. But the Trade Federation guy sure seems to think it's legal..

I didn't get the impression the Trade Federation thought it was legal, as much as they thought that they had enough influence in the Republic (and that Sidious had enough power) that they could get away with it

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Sifo-Dyas was a real person even in AOTC. Obi-Wan and Yoda talk about him and that he died ten years ago. However, in earlier drafts of the script the army was ordered by "Sido-Dyas", who was just an alias of Sidious.

Yeah, at some point during filming Lucas realized Sidous ordering the clone troopers directly until a barely changed name didn't work, so he then did the most half-assed workaround which still really didn't work.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's really weird that an obscure planet almost no one knows about is capable of churning out a galaxy-beating army. Why aren't the Kaminoans a superpower then? How the gently caress did Palpatine afford this army? Can you just lay out a couple million credits and get a decent shot at taking over the galaxy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

porfiria posted:

It's really weird that an obscure planet almost no one knows about is capable of churning out a galaxy-beating army. Why aren't the Kaminoans a superpower then? How the gently caress did Palpatine afford this army? Can you just lay out a couple million credits and get a decent shot at taking over the galaxy?

Also did the Empire blow them up or something or can anyone with enough spacebux go ahead and pay them to do it again?

e: oh you said that lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 10, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How did the Kaminoans feel about their secret planet that hardly anyone knew about being completely revealed to the entire galaxy after they made the Clone Army of the Republic?

Were they cool with it? Was it like a big coming out party? Grand Opening! Discounts on Clones!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

He's canonically not Sidious in disguise or anything; he's a separate guy who did in fact fear full-scale war and ordered the clone army.

I believe that the Clone Wars cartoon established that the person who ordered the army was indeed an imposter(I think it was Dooku though, not Sidious), but that they purposely posed as Sypho-Dyas because they knew that the Jedi would need a plausible explanation in order to feel comfortable enough to actually use the army. Sypho Dyas was publicly known as a guy who would go off the reservation to get things done, and also known as someone that supported the formation of a standing army, and so they used his identity.

Dyas was assassinated to cover up the plan and they find his body in an episode of Clone Wars.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 10, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

porfiria posted:

It's really weird that an obscure planet almost no one knows about is capable of churning out a galaxy-beating army. Why aren't the Kaminoans a superpower then?
Why isn't Raytheon a country?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Basebf555 posted:

I believe that the Clone Wars cartoon established that the person who ordered the army was indeed an imposter(I think it was Dooku though, not Sidious), but that they purposely posed as Sypho-Dyas because they knew that the Jedi would need a plausible explanation in order to feel comfortable enough to actually use the army. Sypho Dyas was publicly known as a guy who would go off the reservation to get things done, and also known as someone that supported the formation of a standing army, and so they used his identity.

Dyas was assassinated to cover up the plan and they find his body in an episode of Clone Wars.

It's been a while since I watched those episodes personally, but I pulled everything from the Wookieepedia page for Sifo-Dyas. He did order the army in secret, Tyrannus and Sideous bankrolled it and added the inhibitor chips that contained Order 66.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

euphronius posted:

Anakin was always bad. The Jedi were too blind to see it though. Well yoda and mace did see it but trained him anyway.

Killing children is his speciality. He does it it two movies.

Anakin wasn't always bad. He USED to be a normal kid, who loved his mom, had empathy for strangers and hit on pretty girls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mecha Gojira posted:

He USED to be a normal kid, who had empathy for strangers and hit on pretty girls.

And had a son and killed hundreds of million largely accidentally

e: It occurs to me that C-3P0 is technically also a virgin birth

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

It's been a while since I watched those episodes personally, but I pulled everything from the Wookieepedia page for Sifo-Dyas. He did order the army in secret, Tyrannus and Sideous bankrolled it and added the inhibitor chips that contained Order 66.

I really want to go back and watch that episode again, because I really am not remembering it that way. I'm almost certain Dooku killed him and then masqueraded as him when he ordered the army.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

I believe Palpatine comes from money to begin with (again, that's probably his old backstory - I've no idea what they're going with currently) and he's probably embezzled a few credits from the Republic treasury or something. Dooku is meant to be fabulously wealthy as well so he probably chipped in.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, I always figured Dooku paid for it, since he's the one who hired Jango.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If I recall correctly, Palpatine basically put the entire clone army on the Jedi Order’s credit card and the Jedi were too confused and embarrassed to do a chargeback.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Palpatine's entire villainous scheme could've been thwarted if the Jedi had just hired an accountant.

Serf
May 5, 2011

porfiria posted:

the kaminoans are capitalists, not conquerors. they don't get their hands dirty, they just provide the slaves

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Palpatine's entire villainous scheme could've been thwarted if the Jedi had just hired an accountant.

Or at least just purchased a droid to do it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

porfiria posted:

And why did the owner of some diner in Coruscant know they were cloners, like it was no big thing? Presumably more people knew, too. One wonders why no one has done this before.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 10, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

e: It occurs to me that C-3P0 is technically also a virgin birth

So were Boba Fett and the clones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

And why did the owner of some diner in Coruscant know they were cloners, like it was no big thing? Presumably more people knew, too. One wonders why no one has done this before.

That's a straight mystery/detective trope. It's always the bartender or the diner owner or the shoe shiner that has some critical clue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

Anakin wasn't always bad. He USED to be a normal kid, who loved his mom, had empathy for strangers and hit on pretty girls.

Well Qui him takes him directly to the Jedi counsel and their "evil alarms" started going off so I don't know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

The info on Wookieepedia seems contradictory now that I've read both Dyas' entry AND the entry for "The Lost One", which is the episode about the creation of the clone army.

The episode synopsis says this, which is in-line with what I remember the implication being at the end:

"On Coruscant, the Council deduces that Dooku was responsible for the creation of the clone army. Questioning why their enemy created them an army for them, Yoda explains that this must really be the work of the Dark Lord of the Sith and that all they could do is "play his game".

So it implies that Dooku either manipulated Dyas into ordering the army, or he ordered it after Dyas' assassination. I think when you combine the dialogue in the episode with the scenes in AotC, where Obi Wan talks with the Kaminoins and the date of Dyas' death doesn't seem to match up with him ordering the army, the logical conclusion is that it was Dooku masquerading as Dyas.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

That's a straight mystery/detective trope. It's always the bartender or the diner owner or the shoe shiner that has some critical clue.

Well yeah sure, I get that. But this is one big loving clue. Recognizing the dart is one thing. Knowing the planet it comes from is known for making clones has some rather far reaching implications.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Low class people know a lot and are very effective but ignored by the Jedi is one theme.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

If I recall correctly, Palpatine basically put the entire clone army on the Jedi Order’s credit card and the Jedi were too confused and embarrassed to do a chargeback.

Yeah this is what I always thought, too

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

euphronius posted:

Well Qui him takes him directly to the Jedi counsel and their "evil alarms" started going off so I don't know.

To be fair their "evil alarms" search for such insidious feelings as "enjoys titty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

the jedi live in an ivory tower a spitting distance from the greatest seat of power in the galactic capital city-world

they're probably so unimaginably wealthy that the cost of a clone army is a rounding error for them