Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
$450 for phone-free Android VR:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16862618/lenovo-mirage-solo-google-daydream-vr-standalone-headset-pricing-release-announcement-ces-2018

It still only comes with the lovely point and click hand controller. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Guys I just tried pymax's 8k VR.

It's good.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Alpha Phoenix posted:

It's good.

I look forward to getting mine in three years

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lemming posted:

I look forward to getting mine in three years

Hell, at that point maybe I'll have saved enough to finally upgrade my GPU so that I could run the 8K VR.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Hell, at that point maybe I'll have saved enough to finally upgrade my GPU so that I could run the 8K VR.

Their demo box has a 1080 in it fwiw

They say you can use a 1070 or 980 without issues.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Looks like Oculus got the mix right releasing the Go at $199, $450 is just nuts.

But hey it's got a slightly more powerful processor and inside out tracking of the headset. Although it sounds like it's stuck with the Google Daydream controller while Go at least has a trigger.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 9, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Their demo box has a 1080 in it fwiw

They say you can use a 1070 or 980 without issues.

I've got a 970 that I think is on its way out due to the number of bluescreens I'm getting when doing GPU intensive tasks, so hell, that may not be awful.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Looks like Oculus got the mix right releasing the Go at $199, $450 is just nuts.

It's got inside out tracking though, but for no software support yeah that's nuts

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/obriend17/status/950827660132806656 posted:

Daniel O'Brien

@obriend17
This week we introduced the "Vive Pro." The current #htcvive will stay in market through 2018 and is still the best mass consumer Premium VR product available. Vive Pro is made for the most demanding VR Consumer and Professionals.

3:32 PM - Jan 9, 2018 · Paradise, NV

So I guess we're looking at Vive Original sticking around and Vive Pro launching more expensive, I'd bet $599 for headset alone and $799 for total package.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Alpha Phoenix posted:

It's good.

Dude more details please, is this the CES model?
How was the refresh rate? Are you going to get to try the Vive Pro as well and compare resolution?
Comfort/headphones/anything else

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I was listening to the radio on the way home from work and they got a request for "u dont know de way" from VrChat and they said they would play the remix and then they played Rick Astleys "Never Gonna Give you Up".

Only tangentially vr related, but still

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Chadzok posted:

Dude more details please, is this the CES model?
How was the refresh rate? Are you going to get to try the Vive Pro as well and compare resolution?
Comfort/headphones/anything else

I'm phoneposting from the show, not going to do a full write-up here. Maybe when I get back.

It's good, ok?

Related, I tried tobii's eye tracking FOVeation.

It exists and is good.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I'm phoneposting from the show, not going to do a full write-up here. Maybe when I get back.

It's good, ok?

Related, I tried tobii's eye tracking FOVeation.

It exists and is good.

Better/worse/equal to Vive Pro?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Haven't gotten to the Vive pro yet, but the fov on pimax is good enough that I expect to favor it.

Htc's booth must be in another area, not in VR section.

Tpcast supports up to 4k, but not 4k per eye. I had a brief hope it would be 4k each so it would work with pimax.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lemming posted:

Better/worse/equal to Vive Pro?

It’s too late, he got swallowed by a robotic fridge with a curved 8K QLED that follows you around automatically dispensing retro clamshell BlackBerries

Edit: looks like he survived

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Soundboxing is super fun but why the gently caress would the developer not let you pause and leave a song with the Menu button on the Vive and instead use a tiny hitbox "Pause" button where the cursor doesn't show up cause you're hands are boxing gloves?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

It might be better to just piggy back off something like Unity or Unreal. What language are you trying to use? Unity uses C# and Unreal uses C++. In both cases, you can just plug in whatever code you want, you just have to interface it with what is being displayed in engine. In both engines, you can just grab the location and rotational data directly from whatever ingame representations you have for the headset and controllers. What are you trying to do? If you're displaying a 360 video with the headset, that would be ok, but if you're going to control a camera on the robot with the headset, get ready for vomit city. No way will that thing keep up.

What I'm trying to do is use a hand controller to drive a robot arm (possibly using the joystick and buttons for movement or other things) while using the headset to display a camera feed (likely using two inexpensive USB/IP cameras with the images combined into a side-by-side stereo image). There wouldn't be any "ingame representation" of anything, just a real-world robot.

For the language, I was thinking C++ (one of the more commonly used languages in robotics). I may be running in either Windows or Linux (potentially using ROS).

I've just noticed the Oculus website has a developer's forum:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussions/p1

Might that be a better place to go for this sort of thing?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Are you thinking you're just going to present the video feed directly into the headset? Because I think that's probably a real bad idea for a variety of reasons. I think you're better off copying the camera feed into textures and applying it to some kind of virtual screen. Whether you're doing that in Unity or WebVR or OpenGL it shouldn't be too hard, toolset doesn't really matter.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
So I have a 4th sensor being delivered tomorrow due to an ordering error on my part. I mentioned it earlier, and it sounded like it is a case of diminishing returns to use it, but that it would also virtually eliminate any occlusion I might have. I have the option to return it, but may keep it.

That aside, does Oculus officially support 4 sensors during setup? Will 4 sensors work easily (e.g. 2 on USB 3.0, and 2 on 2.0), or does setting it up require some extra effort with the potential for a problematic outcome?

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 10, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The setup process will claim it's not a supported configuration, but you can hit next and continue

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Wave VR is really cool, thanks to the person who recommended it. The loading times are probably a bit too much for me to use it a lot though. Not sure why that particular game would be the one with bad loading times, doesn't seem like there is much in the way of static resources to load for the levels.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

PerrineClostermann posted:

The setup process will claim it's not a supported configuration, but you can hit next and continue

Cool beans. Sounds promising.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Vive Pro has stereo cameras apparently which is a longstanding wishlist feature

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who cares, I'll bet the Rift 2 will have 5.1 cameras.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Who cares, I'll bet the Rift 2 will have 5.1 cameras.

360 camera with 12k screens and magic gloves.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Wave VR is really cool, thanks to the person who recommended it. The loading times are probably a bit too much for me to use it a lot though. Not sure why that particular game would be the one with bad loading times, doesn't seem like there is much in the way of static resources to load for the levels.
Hmm, I don't remember that being the case for me.. But to be fair for ages it wouldn't even load on Rift without crashing so it's definitely work in progress software.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Vive Pro has stereo cameras apparently which is a longstanding wishlist feature

It sounds like it might be the first headset to support actual for real mixed reality then woah

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Lot of negative noises about Pimax. Serious optics and tracking problems it sounds like. Might actually be worse than the last prototype?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Nobody knew VR was so complicated.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Lot of negative noises about Pimax. Serious optics and tracking problems it sounds like. Might actually be worse than the last prototype?

They were using a lovely demo. They had a coral reef that seemed like it was upscaled rather than 4k. The base unit is rad and the 200 FoV is amazing, and the best selling point. I went back and tried it with a different demo and it was much better. I don't know why they used a demo al day with poorer visuals but they sure did.

It's listed as "80/90 HZ/" I assume it can also lock at 80 if the player prefers [no 24fps option]. There's no screen door effect anymore. BTW for people who aren't following it, it's 2x4k, not actually 8k.

Tacking was... fine? It didn't blow me away but I didn't see any major issues in my multiple demos. I sort of give it a pass at CES because there is literally 8 VR lighthouses within a 15m area, but I can see how it could have issues. I suspect it's just a floor presentation issue.

There is no audio strap option. By default it has 2 headphone jacks, for a small 4' earbud cable on each side. They also had a prototype of their knuckles, and thy seemed great. Those might release before the official ones.

Overall it seems like a good upgrade to the vive, and if you already have the lighthouses, I suspect it'll be better than Vive.5 because of the FoV. I'll try to stop by and check HTC but I don't know if I need an appointment, or if I have the clout to get one. But we might be a NA reseller for Pimax, so that's rad.

some nerd rear end trying it out it's me im the nerd rear end
https://i.imgur.com/o1qbt6X.jpg

lovely 3rd party wand:
https://i.imgur.com/3x4cuSe.jpg

not-lovely knuckle prototype:
https://i.imgur.com/1XKCQru.jpg

Edit: it looks like I need to do North Hall today, so I won't get to htc (in the loving Wynn of all places) until tomorrow. I'll write up about Tpcast tonight. Spoiler: it won't support the Pimax.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 10, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Looks like the knuckles have joysticks, did they have a version with trackpads like Valves?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

At this point I'm more looking forward to the Vive Pro, if PiMAX turns into a not-waste-of-money I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

They also had a prototype of their knuckles, and thy seemed great.

As in, you tried them in VR and they were functioning as expected? Or you looked at them and strapped them on and they seemed ok in that regard?

It's interesting, you're the only positive one I've heard so far. Did you see the image 'reflections' around the edges/peripheral vision that others are reporting?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the Pimax turns out ok because I'm not giving HTC another loving cent of my money.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
According to an article on Medium a "reliable source" says the Vive Pro HMD only upgrade will be $350. If true, that's almost shockingly cheap. Especially for me, since the fact that I haven't purchased the DAS means it'd be effectively $250 :D

Would definitely be an insta-buy at that price. I was hoping for $400 and expecting $500 or more.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kinda mixed about the upgrade though, cause I got no idea what I'd do with my current hmd without lighthouses or controllers. It's a paperweight.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Q: if you already have a vive and the lighthouses setup and buy the upgrade, what do you do with your original headset? You can't sell it on sans lighthouses very easily.

Would you take a mail-in swap plus cash balance deal, you get new headset cheaper, HTC can refurb your old unit..?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Chadzok posted:

As in, you tried them in VR and they were functioning as expected? Or you looked at them and strapped them on and they seemed ok in that regard?

It's interesting, you're the only positive one I've heard so far. Did you see the image 'reflections' around the edges/peripheral vision that others are reporting?

The knuckles were solid plastic prototypes, nothing functional. I picked it up and it was comfortable. That's all. I'm just excited to have 2 potential knuckle devs for Vive, and competition breeds excellence. Their wands worked but they had dysphoria since they still used stock wand models in VR.

I didn't notice reflections specifically, but keep in mind you're nearly doubling the fov from 110 to 200. That's where it shines. I could forgive some ghosts around the edges if it means that we have peripheral vision edges to begin with. But again, it didn't jump out at me. I'd like to know how many people used the Ship demo and not the lovely Coral one.

I suspect that some people expected the moon and stars, and were sad that it wasn't God's Gift to VR. It's not. But it had a bigger sweet spot than my vive and the fov was a massive boon. It's good.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The Walrus posted:

I hope the Pimax turns out ok because I'm not giving HTC another loving cent of my money.

Why not?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

Kinda mixed about the upgrade though, cause I got no idea what I'd do with my current hmd without lighthouses or controllers. It's a paperweight.

Are there any two player, two headset games yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

How would I use the Vive Pro if I don't have a USB 3.1 motherboard? Anybody got recommendations on I/O boards or would I need a new motherboard?

If so, eff that.