Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Skaven plague monks would be a much cheaper starting point, but would definitely take some converting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Would frostgrave cultists work for what you want?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The cultists are not as destitute and decrepit as what im looking for. The wraith and plague monks have the hunched over look that I want, I went to the LGS today and picked up a sprue that is kind of similar to the wraith, dont know the name of it I will post a pic tomorrow.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoodBee posted:

The Escher sprues have stupid combat heels, so those would have to go.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
People who've played Necromunda 2017, what are your thoughts on the new CC system? Do you think it makes dedicated CC characters less valuable?

I'm a bit sad they didn't keep the old CC system of Necromunda. I thought it was pretty good, and made CC focus high risk but high reward since your attacking ability (attacks, weapon skill) also provided CC defence.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hooman posted:

People who've played Necromunda 2017, what are your thoughts on the new CC system? Do you think it makes dedicated CC characters less valuable?

I'm a bit sad they didn't keep the old CC system of Necromunda. I thought it was pretty good, and made CC focus high risk but high reward since your attacking ability (attacks, weapon skill) also provided CC defence.

I like it. I don't know the original system, but if it was anything like Shadow War I really dislike the original.

I don't think the new system devalues CC characters, but I think it definitely means that a dedicated CC character really needs to be charging whenever possible, using two melee weapons, and really, really wants a high Toughness. In that order. Having a Leader nearby with Overseer also really helps.

Everybody is capable of pulling CC duty in a pinch, which I think is an improvement.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right thread for the question (apologies if that concern turns out to be true) but I'm just after a bit of advice regarding colour schemes for Imperial Guardsmen, if possible. Since a couple of friends and I (them being 100% into 40K and me being new to both 40K and minis on the whole, aside from having played Dawn of War and a bit of Mordheim) have decided to play Shadow War Armageddon and I've gone with the Imperial Guard as my army of choice, as I've always liked that they're always underdogs in whatever situation/mess they're thrust into.
And well, we've gone with SWA (mostly just for skirmishes, etc. rather than a campaign at this point) over 40K itself since although I do have some interest in the universe as a whole, I don't think I really want to take out any loans, just to get a full-sized army up and running! :D (Plus I generally like smaller-scale skirmishes in games)

But anyway the question is, do you guys have any suggestions/ideas regarding how I should paint these guys? I've already glued them all together as per the photos below (the vast majority is from Anvil, with some plastic GW bits from a friend) however I'm not well-versed in what IG corps there are. As you can tell, they're pretty 'modern'-looking, I suppose. (Kinda like those Cadians with full face helmets like this guy, which gives the bonus result of not needing to paint many faces :D)
So what I'm wondering is, are there any other IG corps that use Cadian-esque gear, that I could draw inspiration of? I was originally planning on just going for a dark green for the armour and a lighter green (also perhaps more dull/muted in colour) for the uniforms, but I'm always interested in suggestions, to get a better idea of what other units there are in the 40K universe, that I can 'borrow' from.

Sniper, flamer-guy, sergeant and my melta-gunner (all aside from the sniper are in carapace armour)

And the cannon fodderfour veteran guardsmen, including a radioman and guy with field medic gear

So yeah, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (I'll also gladly accept pointers/tips in general, when it comes to 40K/SWA)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
First, you have a great taste in gaming, since normal size 40K is stupid, bad and expensive (...why do I have 2000pts+ of Space Marines?).

Secondly, Cadian gear is the template for most Guardsmen, so you can really come up with any regiment and color scheme that you want. Here's a brief guide on most known/famous regiments.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

I like it. I don't know the original system, but if it was anything like Shadow War I really dislike the original.

I don't think the new system devalues CC characters, but I think it definitely means that a dedicated CC character really needs to be charging whenever possible, using two melee weapons, and really, really wants a high Toughness. In that order. Having a Leader nearby with Overseer also really helps.

Everybody is capable of pulling CC duty in a pinch, which I think is an improvement.

Sorry, I don't know how shadow war combat works so maybe we're talking past each other. Necromunda is based on 2nd ed 40k so you roll dice equal to your attacks, pick the highest, add your weapon skill and whatever modifiers and the difference between your total and your opponents total is how many hits you (or, if it is negative, they) land.

It meant that a very good close combat character was very difficult to hit in CC and you had to shoot them or engage them with an equally skilled CC-er. This meant that a high weapons skill and attacks stat also provided defence in CC. Whereas a flat to hit means that for two very good CC characters it will be defined by who gets the first attack.

I guess in old necromunda getting the charge was advantageous but not the be all and end all and in necromunda 17, who charges seems more definitive.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I miss the old system. It was a deep, interesting minigame that was only somewhat imbalanced with swords being so powerful.

However in the new rules, with alternating activations and group activations and so on, this combat system works. I guess you could revert to the old one if you really wanted to.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Shadow Wars is based on 2nd Ed 40k so it has the same combat as classic Necromunda.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
We're starting up a campaign at my local club, and as I haven't even opened the Necromunda box yet (waiting on a particularly low day to make the most of that "new game" smell of cardboard and plastic) - are there any load outs people would recommend/avoid for Escher?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

JcDent posted:

First, you have a great taste in gaming, since normal size 40K is stupid, bad and expensive (...why do I have 2000pts+ of Space Marines?).

Secondly, Cadian gear is the template for most Guardsmen, so you can really come up with any regiment and color scheme that you want. Here's a brief guide on most known/famous regiments.

Hah, yeah I've heard one or two financial horror stories about 40K before (especially as it doesn't seem like it's played too frequently down here) which is what initially turned me off! :D SWA seems like a great middle-ground though, although I've heard complaints that it's not a great platform for a campaign, compared to Mordheim and Necromunda. (Doesn't bother me either way personally, since as I mentioned earlier we'll just be playing standalone games at this point)

And well, I've taken a look at the list you posted, and it looks like I might need to lock in the Cadians after all (or some other unit from a planet the Cadians settled, I guess), since a lot of the armies in that list differ wildly, in style. The Elysians look good and do seem like a slight possibility though, however they all seem to have those 'grav chutes'/jetpacks and each of them appear to be equipped with a space-FAMAS, which which is a bit different from my minis' space-BAR, heh.
I'll have to look into those two further, I think.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I love old Necromunda like a son, but the old hand to hand system (implemented in shadow war as well) was outdated garbage. It was complicated, swingy, and hard to explain to ppl who've only played current 40k.

The new system is OK, I guess.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

We're starting up a campaign at my local club, and as I haven't even opened the Necromunda box yet (waiting on a particularly low day to make the most of that "new game" smell of cardboard and plastic) - are there any load outs people would recommend/avoid for Escher?

Personally I think the Chem-thrower is garbage.

I would kit Champions out for Close Combat and the Leader for range. (I gave my Champs plasma pistols and power swords and my Leader the Bolter/Needle combi and a power sword.)

A dual pistols champ should be viable as their improved BS makes all guns blazing more reliable. I haven’t tried it though so it could go horribly wrong. Two plasma pistols would be brutal.

Otherwise build a mix of ranged and CC gangers as per standard. I think Escher will have an easy ride against any of the legacy gangs and can run rings around Goliaths if played smartly so I would go for a roughly even split of ranged and CC.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ineptmule posted:

Personally I think the Chem-thrower is garbage.

I would kit Champions out for Close Combat and the Leader for range. (I gave my Champs plasma pistols and power swords and my Leader the Bolter/Needle combi and a power sword.)

A dual pistols champ should be viable as their improved BS makes all guns blazing more reliable. I haven’t tried it though so it could go horribly wrong. Two plasma pistols would be brutal.

Otherwise build a mix of ranged and CC gangers as per standard. I think Escher will have an easy ride against any of the legacy gangs and can run rings around Goliaths if played smartly so I would go for a roughly even split of ranged and CC.

Looks like great advice, thanks! Looks like I now need to squeeze in painting some Escher into my queue :geno:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Hah, yeah I've heard one or two financial horror stories about 40K before (especially as it doesn't seem like it's played too frequently down here) which is what initially turned me off! :D SWA seems like a great middle-ground though, although I've heard complaints that it's not a great platform for a campaign, compared to Mordheim and Necromunda. (Doesn't bother me either way personally, since as I mentioned earlier we'll just be playing standalone games at this point)

And well, I've taken a look at the list you posted, and it looks like I might need to lock in the Cadians after all (or some other unit from a planet the Cadians settled, I guess), since a lot of the armies in that list differ wildly, in style. The Elysians look good and do seem like a slight possibility though, however they all seem to have those 'grav chutes'/jetpacks and each of them appear to be equipped with a space-FAMAS, which which is a bit different from my minis' space-BAR, heh.
I'll have to look into those two further, I think.

Well, you shouldn't worry too much, since coming up with your own snowflake regiment from planet Homebrew is a time honored tradition of IG players, so you shouldn't worry about 40K historical realism too much.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, there are literally millions of worlds that have their own Guard units, and the ones GW produces are intended to be sort of popular/famous exemplars of certain modes (like Catachans are a benchmark for Death World, Steel Legion for hiveworlds, etc.) So you can go bananas on making up your own stuff - you can do something like say they are from a world that was liberated/founded by Cadian troopers, and so they've inherited certain elements and adapted others to their own world over time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

muggins posted:

I love old Necromunda like a son, but the old hand to hand system (implemented in shadow war as well) was outdated garbage. It was complicated, swingy, and hard to explain to ppl who've only played current 40k.

The new system is OK, I guess.

The thing I dislike about the old system is that you either murdered your target and were utterly untouched in return, or you got murdered. There wasn't really a middle ground. It literally wasn't possible to not have a hit scored, and a single good hit roll could turn into five or six times the number of attacks your card said. I think that's pretty silly.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Counterpoint: it was decisive and allowed the overall game to flow without each engagement grinding out several turns. The CC fights are important and can dictate the flow of a battle but they don’t hold the game up.

Mordheim had it the ‘modern’ way and most games, especially if the bands in play were high T ones like Orcs or Beastmen, end up being a handful of close combats in the middle of the table sort of like the famous AOS Moshpit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ineptmule posted:

Counterpoint: it was decisive and allowed the overall game to flow without each engagement grinding out several turns. The CC fights are important and can dictate the flow of a battle but they don’t hold the game up.

Mordheim had it the ‘modern’ way and most games, especially if the bands in play were high T ones like Orcs or Beastmen, end up being a handful of close combats in the middle of the table sort of like the famous AOS Moshpit.

I have yet to have a combat last for longer than one round (the activation of both fighters engaged) in half a dozen games. I guess if you've got a couple bare-knuckle Goliath Juves duking it out you might take two turns? :shrug:

Worst case you get two attacks from the first guy who charges outside of the vision cone (hitting on 4s, wounding on 4s, save 6+ for being outside the cone), the second guy turns and swings on a 5+ against a 5+ save. Next activation you're already in combat at get one at 4+, then the other guy swings at 4+.

Minimum of five attacks, two of them against 6+ the other three against 5+. 1/3rd chance per failed save of not being insta-removed. Averages say the first guy drops on the return swing, preponderance of dice says it's 65%+ chance by the second activation.

That is literally the worst case for close combat.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Which kit did you use?

These fenders http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=247&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=plant-blank&controller=product
And these wheels http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=249&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=plant-blank&controller=product

Sadly they don't seem to have the monowheel I used in the back. It was a really good bit and I suppose you could make your own using one of the above wheels, but it was nice to have a pre built one.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Strobe posted:

The thing I dislike about the old system is that you either murdered your target and were utterly untouched in return, or you got murdered. There wasn't really a middle ground. It literally wasn't possible to not have a hit scored, and a single good hit roll could turn into five or six times the number of attacks your card said. I think that's pretty silly.

Yeah that's another thing - I couldn't count the number of times when shadow war came out someone would do all the math and it would be double digit hits and they would do like the blink 182 guy mouthing "what the gently caress?"

And you could charge in a melee God vs a scrub and you roll two ones and a three and he rolls two sixes and you just get pasted to death. I'm not sure of the math but adding more attacks seemed like a liability sometimes because you'd just roll more ones.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Anyone painted their Eschers or seen any cool ones around? I wanna get started on mine but really struggling to come up with a cool colour scheme, and while I like the 'default' scheme I'd rather do something a bit different.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Anyone painted their Eschers or seen any cool ones around? I wanna get started on mine but really struggling to come up with a cool colour scheme, and while I like the 'default' scheme I'd rather do something a bit different.

I'm going to paint mine Naruto Orange

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 11, 2018

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Went for a synthwave neon blue/pink combo on mine. Punk, goth and 80's fashion/aesthetic are your friends when it comes to Necromunda.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

My Eschers are dressed in all black, because I hate originality.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you guys want to get in on Blood Bowl II? I've got a half off code for the Steam version that came with the boxed set, but my laptop can't run it.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Posted this over in the Kickstarter thread, but there's probably be a ton of interest here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tinkerhousegames/tinkerturf-full-color-wargaming-terrain

Pre-painted heavy card terrain perfect for Necromunda. Walkways, platforms, scatter, etc. The first stretch goal was posted on Facebook - it's an underhive themed paint job with tons of rust, weathering, etc.

Edit: Whoops. Looks like it's 2mm card and not 2mm MDF.

Enentol fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 12, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That poo poo is cool. Ugh wish I could justify the $30 shipping.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, it does look good - pity it'll only be made available in around September, though. What can I say, I don't like waiting long! :D

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Here's my Escher scheme:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Nifara posted:

Here's my Escher scheme:

Skulls for the Skull Throne.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
I've only played Blood Bowl on the computer before, but I just picked up a 3rd Ed metal Dwarf team. (I really want Chaos Dwarfs, but these were far cheaper than any Chorfs I could find.)

So, uh, how bad should I feel about fielding what's apparently the Least Fun team to play against?

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 14, 2018

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dallbun posted:

I've only played Blood Bowl on the computer before, but I just picked up a 3rd Ed metal Dwarf team. (I really want Chaos Dwarfs, but these were far cheaper than any Chorfs I could find.)

So, uh, how bad should I feel about fielding what's apparently the Least Fun team to play against?
Congratulations on your transformation into Beard Hitler.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dallbun posted:

Well, they are a great team to learn with because you can't certainly do well pretty easily. Also the added benefit of being just as fun for you as your opponent. So... Yeah...

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Great. Are there at least some matchups that are fun, or should I just give up on this team and shoot myself in my beard bunker now, before I'm put on trial for war crimes?

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Holy poo poo you might as well kill yourself now and save the enormous sense of self loathing you're going to have after your first game. Dwarves are equally as dull to play as they are to face.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dallbun posted:

Great. Are there at least some matchups that are fun, or should I just give up on this team and shoot myself in my beard bunker now, before I'm put on trial for war crimes?

Honestly Dwarfs can be a fun team if you are into their play style, but you have to really really like every game being a 1-0 grind. If you are a newer player going with Dwarfs isn't too bad, but if you are any good with the team that is where the fun gets sucked out.

Definitely go hard with your Slayers and Runners. They are the most fun pieces you can take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Why do people revere that game so much, lol