Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Have any new 501c(3) corps popped up at 1322 Exposition Blvd recently?

That's a totally Ortwin move.

Golli fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Golli posted:

Have any new 501c(3) corps popped up at 1322 Exposition Blvd recently?

That's a totally Ortwin move.

I am sure we have touched on this collectively a dozen times, but is there any reason a small game company should have 30 separate companys?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

hot balls man no homo posted:

Have they even gone on sale yet? It would be awesome if nobody bought in and they were sitting on a pile of unsold tickets that Miku would be forced to scoop up.

How many work at the LA office anyways? Isn't it like some low number?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hot drat streetroller good luck to you

things only get better for the thread. its a good time to be alive

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

shrach posted:

Except that there is zero extrapolation of headcount. We get both an independent audited figure for the total amount of wages and also an independent audited figure for the average number of employees. I just added that dividing one audited figure by the other audited figure has shown they maintain an average of around £45k per employee consistently for each of the three accounting periods.

Ah ok. My bad, missed that one. Good point.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

So what's so attractive about Derby all of a sudden? Local tax breaks? The national tramway museum?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

No subscriptions
Not pay to win.

Oh they got this all wrong

No subscriptions...
Not! Pay to win

Also shouldn't have this Better Business Bureau logo at the bottom.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/362783-every-time-star-citizen-gets-new-update-everyone-forgets-alpha

:allears:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

is this a troll, am I being trolled

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Endless development is good for Star Citizen.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Daztek posted:

maybe he got a free press copy

even then though...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Star Citizen is inexcusable at any stage of development.

I think people willfully miss the point that "pre-alpha", "alpha", "beta", etc. are just labels. Even though they have fairly normalized use in the software development world, there is no governing authority for their use, so you can claim your "game" is in whatever stage you feel like calling it. So that's one aspect - that calling it "alpha" doesn't really mean anything.

But it goes deeper than that. "Alpha" is supposed to denote relative progress, not be a catch-all excuse for anything and everything that is wrong with a project. "It's in alpha" doesn't explain why Star Citizen is a complete top-to-bottom piece of complete industry-destroying poo poo. The lack of quality in Star Citizen is an empirical observation that doesn't stop being true because the game is "in alpha."

Star Citizen is really loving bad. Even if all of what they're generously calling "bugs" were miraculously fixed it wouldn't make Star Citizen good, or game, and it would not make Chris Roberts less of a fraud, or CIG less incompetent. Star Citizen is pure steaming poo poo, and no categorical label can save it, or excuse the state of its existence.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 10, 2018

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Daztek posted:

No they actually have convinced themselves that this is the case. It's magical.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

So what's so attractive about Derby all of a sudden? Local tax breaks? The national tramway museum?

http://www.derby.gov.uk/business/business-support-advice/degf/

D2 Enterprise Growth Fund – grants available to businesses across Derby & Derbyshire. This is a partnership between Derby City Council and Derbyshire County Council with funding from these two bodies and EU funding through D2N2.

Maybe?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Also a Star Citizen's idea of a good time is getting drunk and talking about star citizen.

Wait. By that definition we've got plenty of Star Citizen's ITT. :ohdear:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Golli posted:

http://www.derby.gov.uk/business/business-support-advice/degf/

D2 Enterprise Growth Fund – grants available to businesses across Derby & Derbyshire. This is a partnership between Derby City Council and Derbyshire County Council with funding from these two bodies and EU funding through D2N2.

Maybe?

quote:

support the continuation of our scheme.

I think I cracked the code on what google search they're using to find these.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

I think the author for got what an alpha is. Alpha is about a year out from Beta, and then another few months of bug testing for gold release candidate. What we have here is a pre-alpha work in progress tech demo a good 5 years away from being playable. Somebody should remind him of that.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Someone remember to box the word journalism in quotation marks asap.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Not really SC - related, but this made me laugh.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Streetroller posted:

So Here's The Deal: I'm suing Chris Roberts for consumer fraud in small claims court.
Everything he's ever said will be used against him as a public figure, and his litany of LLC shell companies don't protect him.
He either comes to Jersey to defend himself, or get's a default judgment of being a fraud.

loving blow me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojx7VcbowYQ

Awesome speech.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dusty Lens posted:

It's Northern England, it's a mad max hellscape where everything is cheap as gently caress because nobody has a job or money.

It's the final step before they go all-in on an Asian code sweatshop and Crobberts conveniently learns how to use Skype (so he doesn't have to visit the third world)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's Northern England, it's a mad max hellscape where everything is cheap as gently caress because nobody has a job or money.

:colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Hallam_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

It's the final step before they go all-in on an Asian code sweatshop and Crobberts conveniently learns how to use Skype (so he doesn't have to visit the third world)

Wasn't there a school there too? I remember that office was just three guys right out of university or maybe still in it. We know they're poaching fresh college grads to produce the most technically ambitious pack of lies that has ever been used to sell space ships.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leeds and Sheffield laugh at this description of Derby.

University towns get a ball-tickle from the government to set up various incubators. There's a group of shady fucks in the Cambridge tech corridor that produced some space flight game or another.

Crytek got a similar ball-tickle from Turkey, etc. They're all after the next facebook/google/apple, etc.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

What is the Florida-equivalent (redneck) part of the UK?

(I've only been to Dunfermline/Edinburgh, Newcastle, London, and Manchester)

Golli fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 10, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I never knew how much I needed "very stable genius" to enter the cultural lexicon. It's like how you buy a car and suddenly notice how many of the same model there are on the road.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Golli posted:

What is the Florida-equivalent (redneck) part of the UK?

(I've only been to Dunfermline/Edinburgh, Newcastle, London, and Manchester)

Up till the last 10 years or so, it would have been one of the east coast Holiday destinations like Scumnthorpe. But scrubs and unwashed started to migrate southwards to one of my old hometowns, Torquay, and that place is now a loving bin.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

I never knew how much I needed "very stable genius" to enter the cultural lexicon. It's like how you buy a car and suddenly notice how many of the same model there are on the road.

Where's my share???

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Forget Derby, I want to know what's going on in the Brno office

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It warms my heart to know that star citizen either not coming out or being a giant piece of poo poo will ruin this person.

At least until the next kickstarter comes along.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Seemingly outing Jester demands a sharp tack in the narrative.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

shrach posted:

What is interesting is that the rumours of cutting back in staff numbers seem untrue. If anything they are increasing staff numbers in the UK exponentially. Foundry 42 Ltd employed an average of 221 people in 2016 which rose to an average of 284 people in the first six months of 2017. Wages in 2016 totalled some £9.8m but the first six months of 2017 totalled £6.05m. They have been fairly consistent with an average gross salary (inc ER's NI) of around £45k per employee.

This is an off-the-cuff Crap Theory not an effort post:

Foundry is beefing up staff to finally push Squadron 42 out the door, after years of Chris pretending they were doing that all along while CIG was ignoring it almost entirely in favor of perpetual ship sales.

CIG is counting on proceeds from game sales to ease cash flow tensions and pay down or off debts. Squadron may not have AAA unit shifter appeal and surely face a hard demand ceiling due to Chris’s disinterest in rewarding game-loops, thrilling flight models, and most of the other invisible design elements that work in concert to produce “Fun.” But on the Hamill factor alone, they can probably count on tapping some new demand at launch*.

The conspicuously introductory year-end Squadron show was created primarily to communicate this high priority to 3rd parties counting on Squadron to be their primary development goal from now until release, yet this time the presentation was actually earnest(ish). Chris played backers for suckers for years with bogus Squadron date drops, always talking out of his arse and counting on their gullibility. This time is different because the parties involved (Coutts or whoever) actually matter and Chris knows playing them for chumps too would be complete foolishness.

Brief tangent

Concurrent to all this, however, Chris just might go for the gold and chumpatize the hardest of the hardcore believers by offering them the investment opportunity of a lifetime. “We’ve got Squadron fast tracked now and who knows — it’s like Call of Duty but better — and call of duty titles sell 14-25 million so the skies the limit!”

Garriott did the SeedInvest thing with SOTA and scored over a half million. It was not much above their minimum threshold on an ask they’d hoped to pull $2m from, but it bought more runway than blood sass we’re going to.

So it’s all hands on Squadron’s deck at Foundry and Star Citizen finally takes the development backseat for a change. Until they resolve their networking challenges there’s hardly any reason to bother with more because only the hardest of the hardcore are willing to endure the frustrations. The hopes beyond Squadron’s launch are that CIG can convert a subset to new ship buyers in Star Citizen and keep that gravy train going, even if it won’t come as easily and pressures to end it will only grow from here

Market Comparables?

*The dogfighting moviegame genre has one recent semi-comparable that was both blockbuster and franchise failure, with Infinite Warfare moving (I think) 14 million units across all platforms. But few bought that for the single player campaign, they bought it for mutiplayer like they always do, and Infinity Ward dropped that ball pretty badly. Ace Combat 7 will hit this year (all platforms, including PSVR) but even if it’s a sterling entry for the franchise, I’d be surprised to see it break 1.5 million units.

Being a PC market only title, and not just PC but GPU-melting, PC Master Race submarket, it still seems likely that Chris has captured a lot of his buyers already. Barring a console release, it seems like they’re hard capped at a six-figure number for as yet unconverted potential Squadron buyers. Great reviews and word of mouth could push that north but at this point they’d need a ton because there’s a strong headwind blowing south and it’s been whispering “development hell” and “vaporware” so long that CIG won’t just have to convert neophytes to buyers; they’ll have to convert neo-skeptics to believers. Sizzle reels won’t be enough to do that because sizzle reels helped create the skepticism in the first place.

Okay I’m done. This is just a blurtpost that looks like an effortpost so it’s probably got big obvious holes I’ve neglected and may entirely be in the wrong due to a bad starting premise. Shoot it up!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 10, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Where's my share???

As soon as I figure out the 5D-Chess business plan this guy is hinting at I'll start cutting checks immediately.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Star Citizen: You can't take the lie from me.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

you can tell that guy's smart because of his love for a tired meme

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

you can tell that guy's smart because of his love for a tired meme

Groyper is fresh and new friend.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Excuse me, that is a new meme.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Make a snarky remark about trump if you reply to him Beet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

How loving dare y- yeah you're right.... :[