Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Why the gently caress did we think it was a good idea to make our own email client? :smithicide:

Don't leave us hanging, we need to know more of this horror!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

DigitalRaven posted:

Don't leave us hanging, we need to know more of this horror!

We make office management software, and one of the features was a simple plaintext only email client, left over from back in the day when it wasn't a guarantee an office lan would even be on the internet, let alone that everyone would have office and their own email address. It kind of sucked but customers stull liked it because they could send the email and add it as an attachment to a customer record with one button. Two years ago the powers that be decided to update it to support HTML email and automatically add your Outlook signature to emails. This was supposed to be one of several "quick and easy" new features in that version.

Y'all, turns out making your own Outlook is hard!

Documenting so many of the bugs with the new email client got me my current job and right now my job is to find the rest. My favorite so far is if you are using office 2016, you'll get an exception at load when it tries to pull in your signature, after which the add signature button is grayed out so you can't add it at all. But there's an easy workaround: if you have two or more accounts set up in Outlook, it geta confused and won't pull in a signature at all, so you can use the add signature button to add it manually. (This was caught before release, but considered a non-issue because we didn't technically support using office 2016 with that release.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dragonshardz posted:

I have a fix for this! The TL;DR is the Windows PTP drivers are poo poo and every time you touch the pad, they wait for you to make a gesture. You can replace them with the Synaptics drivers and the problem disappears.

Holy poo poo I'll try this today.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Just interviewed for a problem management analyst role.
Here's hoping i get it, i could do with the 7k payrise, and not being attached to a deskphone anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dragonshardz posted:

I have a fix for this! The TL;DR is the Windows PTP drivers are poo poo and every time you touch the pad, they wait for you to make a gesture. You can replace them with the Synaptics drivers and the problem disappears.

Doesn't work very well. Synaptics doesn't offer direct download of drivers anymore. I found them elsewhere but then Windows 10 throws a fit about the driver not having a digital signature and refuses to install it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Doesn't work very well. Synaptics doesn't offer direct download of drivers anymore. I found them elsewhere but then Windows 10 throws a fit about the driver not having a digital signature and refuses to install it.

you can get windows to boot out of 'protected' mode or whatever and install drivers that aren't digitally signed, if you truly trust the source you're getting it from. I have to do this every time I update the GPU drivers on my laptop, because I'd upgraded the GPU and it pisses everything off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What kind of gpu vendor doesn't provide signed drivers :confused:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

spankmeister posted:

What kind of gpu vendor doesn't provide signed drivers :confused:

I guess it's a lot weirder with laptops.

My MSI GT70-0NE came with a 680m, and i put a 970m in it. you have to modify an ini file in the nvidia drivers installer to make it install, which invalidates the signature i'm guessing.

Edit : Side Note : Don't gently caress around with changing or upgrading a GPU in a laptop. It's an expensive, stupid, pain in the rear end. I'd done it because the laptop was out of warranty, the 680m died, and it was 'only' a couple hundred more to get a 970 from some rando on the notebookreview forums that does some sort of flashing to GPUs to get them to work where they're not supposed to.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 10, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Do the drivers that haven't make it through the approval process, but are available for download, not have the signature yet? I'm not sure how the signing process works, but I know getting the drivers approved can take months but they let you download them on your own so you can keep your poo poo working and fix bugs quicker.

Actually, thinking about this more I'm probably off-base since this works fine for my win10 desktop.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thread title made me check some of our licenses.
Our ftp license is about to expire in march.
Thank you thread!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Knormal posted:

When our Group Policy people, who I've mentioned a few times in this thread before, tried to turn off USB storage at our place a few years ago they accidently turned off the USB ports entirely. We figured this out when everyone started calling the helpdesk at the same time because their mouse stopped working.

Luckily our being behind the times worked in our favor in this case because most people were still on PS/2 keyboards.

Well, thankfully, we can put them into a fake learning mode by doing AD shenanigans, but it's frustrating having to use someone's broken keyboard to remote into my desktop to do the needful so i can plug in their new keyboard. Or, if the AD permissions are hosed for some reason, having to call our network team to drag and drop around the active directory. A good use of everyone's time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've posted before about our :shobon: IT department, here's the latest. The Intel CPU bug hit the major news on the 3rd-ish.

On the 8th, we got this email:

quote:

Some users are experiencing issues with an update – the issue is a kernel mode and prevents the computer from booting up.

At this time we are requesting users not to logoff or restart their computers. Press control / alt/ del keys to lock your computer.

If you are presented a screen to run updates or reboot please disregard at this time.

We investigating the issue to determine what update has created this problem.

Specifically, after the update, it would boot to windows but upon login, would create a blue screen with "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" error and reboot. Hmm, I wonder what's causing this! Almost guaranteed to be unupdated antivirus that depended on this bug to function being broken by the patch.

I hadn't seen the email so I updated, got this problem, and rolled back the patch from safe mode. An hour wasted, oh well. If I'd filed a ticket, probably would have lost my computer for a day and gotten it back with a fresh image.

Today, we receive this update:

quote:

Confirmed - update from Microsoft that is creating this issue - Meltdown/ Spectre patch.

Additional info:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-stops-fixing-security-flaw-233813777.html

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and-science/technology/microsoft-withdraws-meltdown-spectre-patch-after-bricking-amd-pcs/article/511747

Continue to refrain from running any updates.

It's funny because neither of those news articles are actually relevant to us, , given that we're not using 10 year old AMD chips.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 10, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't lock your computer.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't lock your computer.

It gives you the option to do so, though I don't know why they wouldn't just say windowskey+L

v--- yeah you're right

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 10, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I know, but with the instructions as read, I just imagine a ton of people hitting the three finger salute and walking away without even looking at the options that come up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm bad with Windows shortcuts but even I know Windows-L.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I am ashamed to admit that one of these thread iterations was the first to teach me about Windows + L.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
windows key+ L was something I really caught on to doing after school required us to bring in our laptops

Never trust classmates

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of my co-workers never used CTRL+L, even after people reminded her of it.

She was on the Data Loss Prevention team :negative:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arquinsiel posted:

One of my co-workers never used CTRL+L, even after people reminded her of it.

She was on the Data Loss Prevention team :negative:

That's because she's using Win+L

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not knowing how to quickly highlight your address bar in a web browser is a fire-able offense in these parts.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
If I see machines open after hours where I work, I do Windows+L for them. Considered, then declined, swapping in bad SATA cables. Also decided against Hasslehoffing them.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Not a ticket, but someone may find this amusing. I received a text last night from my 63 y/o mother, stating "Young people know how to find these crazy things called GIFs. Graphics Interchange Format. Look them up on the internet. You'll find some funny ones." ...I just sat with my head in my hands for a bit after that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Whatever, that's adorable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Marcade posted:

Not a ticket, but someone may find this amusing. I received a text last night from my 63 y/o mother, stating "Young people know how to find these crazy things called GIFs. Graphics Interchange Format. Look them up on the internet. You'll find some funny ones." ...I just sat with my head in my hands for a bit after that.

Mom's callin you old dawg

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Marcade posted:

I mean, she's not wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

totalnewbie posted:

That's because she's using Win+L

:smithicide:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One of my co-workers manually sets himself away and goes down to Start-->Shut Down-->Lock every time he steps away from his desk. Even though I tell him that Win+L will do both of those things.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

Not knowing how to quickly highlight your address bar in a web browser is a fire-able offense in these parts.

Click, ctrl+a. Fast enough?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CTRL-L

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Click, ctrl+a. Fast enough?

⌘/CTRL+L

Also if you're clicking in chrome it'll highlight it all for you anyway.

I have a persistent memory of selling a car and the guy typed google into his address bar which searched google for google, clicked it, then searched "yahoo", then clicked the result, then searched for the thing he was looking for. I was aghast.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 10, 2018

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

F6?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Yep that's what I was gonna say.

Next people well learn and use win + x

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

minusX posted:

Yep that's what I was gonna say.

Next people well learn and use win + x

win-x is great on windows 10 for quickly launching admin consoles and completely useless/redundant on Windows 7

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just right-click the start menu.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Ghostlight posted:

I just right-click the start menu.

:same:

Then sometimes I accidentally try it on a win7 machines :eng99:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028111/windows-lock-your-windows-10-pc-automatically-when-you-step-away-from

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Our EMR software is tab based. So you have a client list in one tab that comes up when you log on. You activate the client and switch to a different tab to see details. I was watching one of our people use it the other day and she would tab over to the details like normal, but when she wanted to switch to a different client, she would CLOSE THE ENTIRE PROGRAM and relaunch/log in again to get back to the default tab.

Today I was relating what I witnessed to her supervisor (suggesting maybe she needs more training) and he told me another story about her. Last week she called him and said "you need to send me more expense report files, I'm out". Turns out she didn't know how to copy a file, or how to "save as" to make a new file.

One time she called me up in the evening saying "my computer isn't working!!" because she couldn't connect to remote desktop. About five minutes into troubleshooting she casually mentioned "they're replacing my router right now, could that have something to do with it?" :what:

No less than three times, she has turned off the hardware wifi switch on her computer and then wondered why it wasn't working. When I show her the switch, she says there's no way she touched it. She actually got a different computer out of this by saying "I can't get my work done because my computer never works!" to the CEO. :rolleyes:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

⌘/CTRL+L

Also if you're clicking in chrome it'll highlight it all for you anyway.

I have a persistent memory of selling a car and the guy typed google into his address bar which searched google for google, clicked it, then searched "yahoo", then clicked the result, then searched for the thing he was looking for. I was aghast.

ctrl t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Our CRM is both tab based and cloud based and Java based. Some tabs take ten seconds to load up. Most people know to leave these tabs open in the background to save time.

One site with a front desk of crotchety old people had no idea about tabs and used three separate computers for front desk work. They would run from one computer to the next to do different functions.

I told them about tabs, showed them how they worked, demonstrated how it saves time, and each one looked at me like I was the stupidest loving person on the planet to suggest this as a solution.

"We need new computers that load faster". No, the constraint also exist in the cloud and with Java and bandwidth. "We need better internet, then". You have the best computer : Mbps ratio of the entire org. "We can't do this. It won't work.". Ok then! Bye!