Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Koda, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's probably Zenon, he has a third vertical eye like that along with two horns

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Expect My Mom posted:

it's probably Zenon, he has a third vertical eye like that along with two horns

Oh yeah now I see it. Yeah it's Zenon/Xenon.

Who came out a bit weak in this adaption.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah Zenon kinda got one-shotted in this adaptation.

I think people have some valid points about Ryo and their friendship. Their friendship is way more believable in the OVAs. He's less of a psychopath and they both help each other out. God I wish they'd made a couple more (though oddly enough the chibi parody version they made after actually kinda sorta does do this version with everything going to hell at the end, it's pretty weird but there's some laughs in there).

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
e: wrong thread, gently caress

ElNarez fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 10, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah Zenon kinda got one-shotted in this adaptation.

I think people have some valid points about Ryo and their friendship. Their friendship is way more believable in the OVAs. He's less of a psychopath and they both help each other out. God I wish they'd made a couple more (though oddly enough the chibi parody version they made after actually kinda sorta does do this version with everything going to hell at the end, it's pretty weird but there's some laughs in there).

I always thought the Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman OVA was supposed to basically be the third OVA.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I always thought the Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman OVA was supposed to basically be the third OVA.

It could be, but it's a different studio, different director/actors/composer, so for me it's not part of that particular story. Also Ryo is barely in it.

That reminds me, I was very surprised that they killed off Psycho Jenny in this version. That never happens (she's way too powerful). Also she was hilarious in human form, the most hosed up terrifying assistant you ever had.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

with the cyborg 009/devilman crossover, i dunno how it is executed in that particular series but the base premise of cyborg 009 has enough darkness that i don't think they're wildly miscast. all the cyborgs are people kidnapped and experimented on until they become horrible weapons and they have to reckon with that while trying to escape their captor and then prevent him from destroying the world via war. it dovetails with devilman's anti-war message and the sort of existential questions about personhood (the latter doesn't seem huge in either, but the resonance is there). plus devilman as a media franchise will always have that 70's tv series (and now crybaby) bringing some lightness and goofiness to it to temper the tits/gore/apocalypse stuff.

Yeah this is pretty much how it goes. It's primarily something to watch for its action but it does sprinkle in some light discussion on whether the characters in both can still call themselves human.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

with the cyborg 009/devilman crossover, i dunno how it is executed in that particular series but the base premise of cyborg 009 has enough darkness that i don't think they're wildly miscast. all the cyborgs are people kidnapped and experimented on until they become horrible weapons and they have to reckon with that while trying to escape their captor and then prevent him from destroying the world via war. it dovetails with devilman's anti-war message and the sort of existential questions about personhood (the latter doesn't seem huge in either, but the resonance is there). plus devilman as a media franchise will always have that 70's tv series (and now crybaby) bringing some lightness and goofiness to it to temper the tits/gore/apocalypse stuff.

I mean, the original manga had quite a lot of light and goofy, particularly in its first half.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/zysets/status/950662619752415232

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I just found out that the scriptwriter for this was also the scriptwriter for Valvrave and things are clicking into place for my hater rear end.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha yeah, that's the one I was talking about. I liked it! It's all on YouTube.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

I just found out that the scriptwriter for this was also the scriptwriter for Valvrave and things are clicking into place for my hater rear end.

My complaints are pretty much in line with the ones you've made. I like Yuasa's stuff a lot but this was a huge disappointment. The rocket-sled pacing turned everything into a farce and it didn't have anything interesting to say under all the grue.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The tone is pitch black. You are likely to get hosed by a gay devil

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

poo poo wrong thread

should watch this show though

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Smoking Crow posted:

The tone is pitch black. You are likely to get hosed by a gay devil
attending a Sabbath will either end with you....

A.) Getting turned into a DevilChad/Stacy

B.) Getting killed by a demon woman

C.) Getting stabbed Ryo

you cant lose

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 10, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also the only two memorable things about this show were a) Ryo's godawful English and b) YOU'RE A KID NOW / YOU'RE A SQUID NOW

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
ryo's english owns and i honestly respect the voice actor for doing so many scenes with it.

like even learning japanese, telling me to go speak it in a booth sounds like a total nightmare, so i love it tbh

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Compared to Yuasa's earlier works, this felt like a step back in form and technique.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

Also the only two memorable things about this show were a) Ryo's godawful English and b) YOU'RE A KID NOW / YOU'RE A SQUID NOW

I can think of like ten things I find more memorable than that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Whenever I hear about poo poo that was added and wasn't in the Manga I always go "drat that was one of my favorite parts"

I mean Taro eating his mom wasn't in the manga? And neither was miko?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

Whenever I hear about poo poo that was added and wasn't in the Manga I always go "drat that was one of my favorite parts"

I mean Taro eating his mom wasn't in the manga? And neither was miko?

Miko was in the manga but she was very diffrent. Her design was different too. That Devilman that was being experimented on and squirted out acid goop in the final episode was based on her original design.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Miko was in the manga but she was very diffrent. Her design was different too. That Devilman that was being experimented on and squirted out acid goop in the final episode was based on her original design.

She wasn’t really much of a character, either, just an indicator of ‘oh, hey, there are other devilmen, and it kind of sucks to be them’. Miko actually has more in common with Jun’s swimming rival from Devilman Lady, although her arc ends... uhh... very differently.

If you read the manga, you’ll find it pretty rough and bare-bones compared to Crybaby. A surprising amount of the flesh to the story has some sort of roots in Lady, but let’s just say that it soon becomes obvious why Yuasa asset-stripped that story for cool ideas rather than adapting it.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 10, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/baph0meat/status/950436398225674240

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

If you read the manga, you’ll find it pretty rough and bare-bones compared to Crybaby.

eat a dick bxtch

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Miko shows up in a lot of adaptions how major her character is depends. Crybaby is the first time she really looked different from normal.

Original Manga

Amon Ova

Grimore. (In her normal outfit cause the one I found of her Demon form was super disgusting.)

And lots of others.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

She wasn’t really much of a character, either, just an indicator of ‘oh, hey, there are other devilmen, and it kind of sucks to be them’. Miko actually has more in common with Jun’s swimming rival from Devilman Lady, although her arc ends... uhh... very differently.

If you read the manga, you’ll find it pretty rough and bare-bones compared to Crybaby. A surprising amount of the flesh to the story has some sort of roots in Lady, but let’s just say that it soon becomes obvious why Yuasa asset-stripped that story for cool ideas rather than adapting it.

Please, for all that's good, do not read Devilman Lady without being ready to encounter the most rape you've ever seen in any work of fiction. I'm on volume four and I've never seen so much rape before in anything, anywhere, and Go Nagai shows no signs of slowing down. For all he can draw well and do horror well, my god is he willing to put all of his kinks on the table and not in a good way.

It's shocking we got an anime adaptation out of it, honestly, let alone one that decided that Lady needed to grow to be 50ft tall every ep to fight demons, because.... listen, tokusatsu is popular, okay.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Doesn't she get possessed by Silene.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please, for all that's good, do not read Devilman Lady without being ready to encounter the most rape you've ever seen in any work of fiction. I'm on volume four and I've never seen so much rape before in anything, anywhere, and Go Nagai shows no signs of slowing down. For all he can draw well and do horror well, my god is he willing to put all of his kinks on the table and not in a good way.

It's shocking we got an anime adaptation out of it, honestly, let alone one that decided that Lady needed to grow to be 50ft tall every ep to fight demons, because.... listen, tokusatsu is popular, okay.

Never read it myself. But I heard it more or less goes away around the mid point of the series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/letmygaysmarry/status/951006924291506176

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

I am sure you mean that as a negative, but I'd readily argue the opposite: he was a good fit for the over-the-top and tone-shifting nature of the source material thus, together with Yuasa's personal handiwork since his fingerprints and stated intentions for the project are all over this thing, the guy did a nice job.

That said, I wouldn't mind watching a more subtle version of Devilman per se, in the grand scheme of things, yet that would also require either reducing the scale of events or having more episodes.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 10, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lady's dual titty happy trails already make it the best thing in the franchise

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

lol, she's gay

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

DisDisDis posted:

If the Devilman series brings back an appreciation for body hair, well that would be just fine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DisDisDis posted:

she has so much hair and it rules

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have never posted in ADTRW before but I saw on a gaming website this was good and I really love Evangelion and Attack on Titan so I was hoping for some surreal ultra violence.

This show has a lot of heart and soul and these characters are neat. I am not a weab but I am very impressed by the animation and soundtrack and the hip-hop dudes are so lit.

Also I’m only on episode 3 and Ryo and Akira both come off as very much in love with each other so I don’t think getting a gay read is reaching, it seems very plain-faced.

Apparently this goes really far off he deep end? I’m very excited.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Glad you like it. Check out the manga afterward!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Darth Walrus posted:

the anime is bloated compared to the manga

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tbh, I would have preferred yuasa do violence jack because it's ok by me for you to take liberties with that

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Doesn't Devilman have two pretty straightforward adaptations already? I honestly wish Yuasa went further off track with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Doesn't Devilman have two pretty straightforward adaptations already? I honestly wish Yuasa went further off track with it.

None of the adaptations before this one have adapted the entire story faithfully.

• Locked thread