Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Main Paineframe posted:

ok. how about "because the mayor had declared them a public nuisance and was facing political pressure from disgruntled neighbors to get rid of them, so he leaned on the cops to do whatever it took to get rid of them even though they didn't really have a legal justification for it"?

The neighbors were just supposed to put up with it because they’re black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

i guess you're right, better torch the building via helicopter bombing while literally hundreds of cops fire machineguns at the building from all directions, which I'm sure is the regular penalty proscribed in the municipal codes for noise violations

surely burning down the neighbors' homes will solve their nuisance problems

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

You should really rethink this line of inquiry. I think its pretty obvious there are options that fall in between "nothing" and "actual war crime"

MOVE were annoying and lovely but they weren't domestic terrorists. I feel this thread stands as a good chronicle of how actual terrorists get treated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wow brave stances you have taken re the morality of firebombing.

You took down my position on that like it was made of straw.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Wow brave stances you have taken re the morality of firebombing.

You took down my position on that like it was made of straw.

Yeah how lovely of me.

Responding to the thing you just said

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alright now kiss

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Yeah how lovely of me.

Responding to the thing you just said

The only thing I’ve said about the Philadelphia police in this thread is:

Platystemon posted:

Philadelphia’s police are far from blameless

We were then discussing MOVE’s alleged crimes—or at least I thought we were. I may have been naïve in assuming arguments in good faith.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The only thing I’ve said about the Philadelphia police in this thread is:

We were then discussing MOVE’s alleged crimes—or at least I thought we were. I may have been naïve in assuming arguments in good faith.

the police weren't completely blameless in murdering those people over minor municipal violations in a clearly premeditated massacre, but

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The authorities were justified in taking action against MOVE.

That action should not have included firebombing.

That is my hot take.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MOVE was annoying the poo poo out of their neighbors by shouting curse words through bullhorns about zoos an other nonsense. The bullhorn was broken for 3 weeks before the bombing. They also kept bad conditions inside the building. They are probably a cult.

They were assholes but by that time they were a public nuisance at worst.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

That is my hot take.

the authorities would have been justified in giving MOVE a fine

anything more than that is pretty clearly abusing the system to harass them

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

there are options that fall in between "nothing" and "actual war crime"

You realize the police are incapable of committing an "actual war crime" against another citizen? The term "actual war crime" doesn't even mean anything, even in a war. Even in war bombing a civilian apartment isn't always a war crime.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
this was a pretty good documentary on Move:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Fire_Burn

Platystemon posted:

That is my hot take.

this is a pretty good take.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

They also killed a police officer* and injured a bunch of other people in an earlier standoff and had been (rumored to be) stockpiling weapons, which may be why their members were gunned down while trying to escape the fire; the cops thought they were hostile and would try to kill officers and innocent bystanders.

Every now and then you forget that americans aren't people and then they go and write something like this
"the deathsquad said they had good reason to bomb civilians and shoot them as they tried to escape burning to death, so the truth is probably somewhere in the middle"

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Even in war bombing a civilian apartment isn't always a war crime.

hey just wanna remind you that if this is your first thought on reading that post you're a loving imbecile, hth

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Even in war bombing a civilian apartment isn't always a war crime.

This is true in the context of an attacking force bombing legitimate military targets, and an errant bomb accidentally lands on adjacent civilian housing.

Intentionally bombing civilian targets definitely rises to the level of a war crime.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

You realize the police are incapable of committing an "actual war crime" against another citizen? The term "actual war crime" doesn't even mean anything, even in a war. Even in war bombing a civilian apartment isn't always a war crime.

yowza

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Geoj posted:

Intentionally bombing civilian targets definitely rises to the level of a war crime.

Not to police. And they bomb plenty of civilian targets in terms of infrastructure. Targeting a civilian owned bridge or building isn’t always a war crime. War crime has a specific definition.

Please explain how the police are capable of committing war crimes in their own country

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
you heard it here first, folks. a government can't wage war or anything similar to it on its own citizens

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Eox posted:

you heard it here first, folks. a government can't wage war or anything similar to it on its own citizens

Never said that, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said the police can’t commit war crimes, which is true.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This sounds like an insanely good semantic hair to try to split.

Poppyseed is the kind of dude who sprints into a comment thread about a mass shooting to huff out some "Well actually it was a 100-round drum magazine the shooter used on the toddlers at that pre-school, not a 'clip' you buffoon. you absolute dullard."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not to police. And they bomb plenty of civilian targets in terms of infrastructure. Targeting a civilian owned bridge or building isn’t always a war crime. War crime has a specific definition.

Please explain how the police are capable of committing war crimes in their own country

sorry, this isn't the "insufferable semantic nitpicking for obnoxious pedants" forum. might wanna go up a level for that

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Poppyseed is the kind of dude who sprints into a comment thread about a mass shooting to huff out some "Well actually it was a 100-round drum magazine the shooter used on the toddlers at that pre-school, not a 'clip' you buffoon. you absolute dullard."

I'm opposed to gun rights, although nice attempt at putting more words in my mouth in a very convoluted strawman.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i've known posters who use similes. they're cowards.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm opposed to gun rights, although nice attempt at putting more words in my mouth in a very convoluted strawman.

*reads this post back to you in a mocking nerd voice (which I assure you is Very Different from my regular voice) to imply that you are a nerd, and that is what you sound like*

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Language is a communication tool and sometimes you gotta read the room and interpret what people say. It’s a two way street. We call this street: Joinder

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
A civilian can’t commit a war crime against another civilian, especially in the absence of a war

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
here, you're gonna need this if you want to keep posting

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

And you’re right that MOVE was “actually really lovely”. Their house was filthy and filled with vermin that spread to neighboring houses, which MOVE refused to do anything about because of their crazy views on animal rights despite it creating a health hazard for neighbors.

It doesn’t justify the 60+ other houses that got burned down, either.

On the upside, burning down all the houses got rid of the vermin. No more worries about rats in the pantry.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm opposed to gun rights,

:chloe:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Probably time to close this thread

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Probably time to close this thread

gently caress that I’mma dig a poo poo pit we’re in for the long haul

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Capntastic posted:

this is just a ploy so people mail you free dildos

i'm on to you

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

this is just a ploy so people mail you free dildos

i'm on to you

We can share.

There’s some that are made to share.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
lookin' for that sweet 55 gallon drum of lube

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Capntastic posted:

Hey. Hey buddy. You want somma this?
*opens dishelved trenchcoat, revealing bags of sugar-free gummy dicks*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Significant Ant posted:

Branch Davidians set fire to their own compound

i highly doubt that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

i highly doubt that

They did. They also shot a large number of women and children before doing so. Waco was a mass suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

i highly doubt that