Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I love that actual gold rush tactics are working on internet gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Warning USD is a huge scam coin sell all assets immediately

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
I just got my refinance application approved, time to make the bank regret that decision by escaping the fiat wage slavery. Bank can't take my assets if they're all virtual and hidden on a flash drive buried in my moms rear end

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rock Puncher posted:

I just got my refinance application approved, time to make the bank regret that decision by escaping the fiat wage slavery. Bank can't take my assets if they're all virtual and hidden on a flash drive buried in my moms rear end

Maybe try Herbalife, considering you're interested in the "get-rich-quick" line of investment?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe try Herbalife, considering you're interested in the "get-rich-quick" line of investment?

Is that some sort of nutrient paste? Either way it sounds like a real asset with something tangible that promises to produce returns or something. I prefer to invest in stuff without any actual value.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rock Puncher posted:

Is that some sort of nutrient paste? Either way it sounds like a real asset with something tangible that promises to produce returns or something. I prefer to invest in stuff without any actual value.
But have you read the whitepaper and been tempered in the searing light of Cryptology?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Alright I’m going all in guys. 100 large.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ok I’m out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mechapoetic/status/950872543765856256

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Did anyone post this yet?

https://news.bitcoin.com/miami-bitcoin-conference-stops-accepting-bitcoin-due-to-fees-and-congestion/

USA's top buttcoin conference AKA the yearly The North American Bitcoin Conference (TNABC) happening January 18-19 stopped accepting BTC to purchase tickets because transaction fees and wait times are completely broken. So now you can only buy the tickets in dirty fiat. Currency of the future!

"Bitcoin settlement times, and the fee market associated with transactions, have become a hot topic these days as on-chain fees have risen to $30-60 per transaction".

If your own conference can't manage to accept BTC payments, it's loving embarrassing.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 11, 2018

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

South Korea's major cryptocurreny exchanges raided by police, tax authorities!

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
watch the price rise on this news

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Against all advice I have touched the poop.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

bigis posted:

I legit advise to throw some money in Monero and Zcash if you like gambling. They have actual real world uses by criminal organizations that are starting to pick up.

Everything else is useless trash on a bubble ride.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
oh man. my internet didn't work for a week. Did anyone become a real bitcoin billionaire? Like they own bitcoin and anyone cares what they say?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

South Korea readying bill to ban all cryptocurrency trading: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/south-korea-official-reportedly-readying-bill-to-ban-all-cryptocurrency-trading.html

*Price Is Right fail horn*

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Dmitri-9 posted:

Are there any cryptocurrencies that are inflationary?

almost every PoW or PoS cryptobean is inflationary. New bitcoins are mined every 10 minutes.

the more nuanced part about economic policy in cryptobean systems is how computational work relates to production. even if a cryptocurrency has a 1% annual inflation rate at this point in time, the work it took to generate the first 90% of the supply is often tiny compared to the work it takes to produce the next year's 1%

:effortless:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Lol coins lost 100 billion market cap in like 2 hours. Geez a bunch of internet funbux that cant be used to actually buy anything aren't holding their value????

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
rip my house

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Hey this is fun

https://www.gdax.com/trade/BTC-USD

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Watching the Gdax depth chart is a lot of fun. Can I trade altcoins, on margin?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
It'll bounce back... right? :sludgepal:

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I heard people in real life discussing crypto currency and 'investing' so that made me come on SA and try to find out why anyone gives a single flying gently caress about bitcoin now after all these years of no one giving a poo poo.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Wickerman posted:

I heard people in real life discussing crypto currency and 'investing' so that made me come on SA and try to find out why anyone gives a single flying gently caress about bitcoin now after all these years of no one giving a poo poo.

same reason everyone cares about Powerball or Mega Millions when they are $400M+

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Welp I bought the dip but it kept on dipping.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

bigis posted:

bigis posted:

Welp I bought the dip but it kept on dipping.
just means you should buy even more to cover the losses youve already taken

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is it. Bitcoin is dead. Why.... WHYYYYYYYYY :negative:

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

just means you should buy even more to cover the losses youve already taken

Brb calling my mortgage broker

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is it. Bitcoin is dead. Why.... WHYYYYYYYYY :negative:

someone spilled coffee on the tether printer they just need another day or so to fix it and then we'll be headed back to the moon

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rad Russian posted:

Did anyone post this yet?

https://news.bitcoin.com/miami-bitcoin-conference-stops-accepting-bitcoin-due-to-fees-and-congestion/

USA's top buttcoin conference AKA the yearly The North American Bitcoin Conference (TNABC) happening January 18-19 stopped accepting BTC to purchase tickets because transaction fees and wait times are completely broken. So now you can only buy the tickets in dirty fiat. Currency of the future!

"Bitcoin settlement times, and the fee market associated with transactions, have become a hot topic these days as on-chain fees have risen to $30-60 per transaction".

If your own conference can't manage to accept BTC payments, it's loving embarrassing.

but, yoiu don't understand,, those (bitcoin cash)(bitcoin core) guys are SUCH evil assholes,,, we have to run a massively self-owning headline,,,, for the good of BITCOIN,,,,,

also

https://twitter.com/BTCNewsUpdates/status/951219173820157953

money of the future yo

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Litecoin actually isn't bad, as far as cryptocurrencies go. Has like 8x the transaction capacity of BTC, and the fees are pennies not $20+.

Not sure why its value is always tied to Bitcoin though. People so obsessed with keeping that .1717 ratio I guess.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Mayo posted:

Litecoin actually isn't bad, as far as cryptocurrencies go. Has like 8x the transaction capacity of BTC, and the fees are pennies not $20+.

Not sure why its value is always tied to Bitcoin though. People so obsessed with keeping that .1717 ratio I guess.

So ~30 transactions per second? lol

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

This thing isn't going to burst for good until after the point of there being so many people invested in it that it will cause an actual serious loving economic crisis. How often is there something that regular people go out of their way to evangelise about as an investment? That people will rationalise despite the fact it is burning massive resources in order to run a useless algorithm rather than improve society? That everyone knows is a bubble but continue to invest in anyway?

Bitcoin is a crisis in motion, we just haven't gotten to the real hurt yet.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Moon Atari posted:

This thing isn't going to burst for good until after the point of there being so many people invested in it that it will cause an actual serious loving economic crisis.
Wouldn't be the first time. Albania's 1997 civil war was triggered by the collapse of Ponzi schemes that a significant portion of the population had bought into.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gobbeldygook posted:

Wouldn't be the first time. Albania's 1997 civil war was triggered by the collapse of Ponzi schemes that a significant portion of the population had bought into.

"In the following years, much of the accumulated wealth of the country was invested in Ponzi pyramid banking schemes, which were widely supported by the government. The schemes swept up somewhere between one sixth and one third of the Albanian population."

:stare:

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNowesWsAElg1C?format=jpg&name=medium

Bitcoin can't even be used for Bitcoining.

...so of course the price is up today.

HODL.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

revwinnebago posted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNowesWsAElg1C?format=jpg&name=medium

Bitcoin can't even be used for Bitcoining.

...so of course the price is up today.

HODL.

Imagine we had 15,000 dollar bills. Would you risk paying for a shirt if you were carrying one? Of course not. Same with bitcoin. It’s like trying to pay with a gold bar.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Imagine we had 15,000 dollar bills. Would you risk paying for a shirt if you were carrying one? Of course not. Same with bitcoin. It’s like trying to pay with a gold bar.

How exactly is it like that? Bitcoins are totally divisible down to the 8th decimal point.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Hint: That's why we don't base our currency on the gold standard.

Oh snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

We need to tell one of those currency collectors to glue a $10,000 and $5,000 dollar bill together so they can have an inferior bitcoin