Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

I really don't agree with this reading. Saruman clearly and unequivocally failed. He essentially became a servant of Sauron.

He only failed so utterly due to Gandalf. His forces were growing, Rohan was under his control, and he very nearly gained the ring at Amon Hen. Had he done so he might have mastered it (both Galadriel and Gandalf considered themselves broadly capable, at great cost).

Capturing the wrong Hobbits, losing Rohan, and the rise of the Ents crippled his power base in ways that had nothing to do with Sauron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

sassassin posted:

He only failed so utterly due to Gandalf. His forces were growing, Rohan was under his control, and he very nearly gained the ring at Amon Hen. Had he done so he might have mastered it (both Galadriel and Gandalf considered themselves broadly capable, at great cost).

Capturing the wrong Hobbits, losing Rohan, and the rise of the Ents crippled his power base in ways that had nothing to do with Sauron.

PYF -> PYPHUO: Saruman did nothing wrong

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Saruman is a capitalist oligarch, abusing the labour and industry of the disenfranchised lower classes (orcs, hillmen) for his personal gain.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
LOTR is boring

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
If necromancy existed, I'd raise an army of the dead, and force them to do all the manual labor, putting millions and millions of people out of work.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

it really is. Lord of the Rings is boring, the characters in Harry Potter are terrible, and Star Wars is a very shallow, boring universe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of Harry Potter feels like a ripoff of Road Dahl books

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

A lot of Harry Potter feels like a ripoff of Road Dahl books

It's the loving descriptions of food.

See also: Redwall.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

it really is. Lord of the Rings is boring, the characters in Harry Potter are terrible, and Star Wars is a very shallow, boring universe.

Star Wars is full of Kung fu, space, magic, explosions, and laser swords.

Don't go thinking you're better than that, because it's all anyone ever needs.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other reason Gandalf's plan worked is that hobbits were hard to corrupt. He picked them for ring bearers and let Bilbo keep it for that long on purpose. Bilbo didn't really use the ring after he went home and only started to get screwed up by it when he used it during his going away party. It was safe in Hobbitton. Bilbo ends up being the first person to willingly give the ring away. Sam ends up doing the same thing later while Frodo managed to keep it from corrupting him until the very, very end of the journey.

Literally every other race was easily tempted by Sauron. Gandalf didn't rust the elves with it because they made the damned things in the first place. Plus the elves knew exactly what it was and wanted nothing to do with it. Dwarves were greedy as hell and easy to tempt with visions of riches. Men were ambitious and power hungry and could be easily tempted with visions of thrones and kingdoms. Hobbits...well the ring had trouble with that. Hobbits were basically Amish, really; they just wanted to live simple lives where they'd farm and eat and smoke and get left the hell alone. You couldn't tempt them with huge piles of money or thrones of power because they didn't want those things. It showed Sam gardens. That was the best it could come up with to tempt him.

Note that Gandalf wouldn't even touch the thing and refused it when Bilbo tried to hand it to him.

And then Sam just rejects it because that’s way too much garden for one person to tend!

sassassin posted:

My understanding is that the end result of this strategy would have just ended up with Saruman replacing Sauron as the evil Angel-like being.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's the loving descriptions of food.

See also: Redwall.

nothing compares to redwall when it comes to food descriptions

as an American who had never had black currant, I assumed it was squirrel food like acorns or something

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hawowanlawow posted:

as an American who had never had black currant, I assumed it was squirrel food like acorns or something

I could go for a thick slice of honeyed bread washed down with October ale or strawberry cordial right about now.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm guessing this is an unpopular opinion since the guy gets millions of views on Facebook, etc. but Upchurch is a buck-toothed, walleyed retard.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
what's upchurch

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Olive! posted:

what's upchurch

This is Upchurch. Prior to this post, I didn't realize he's evidently also a country rap "artist". I'd only seen him in dumb videos on Facebook giving his hot take on current events.

https://youtu.be/LgADOXxbdPw

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh my god how could anybody watch that.

Oh wait, 13 year olds exist, mystery solved.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Olive! posted:

what's upchurch

nothing whats upch

y'know what nevermind

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

Actually reading the Redwall cookbook was kind of disappointing cause it could never live up to post-war Brian Jacques recreating his dreams of food from the the rationing era in the most mouth watering ways possible

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dark Souls PvP is universally garbage and you should be able to ignore it without penalty. Even alt-F4ing when you get invaded is too much of a hassle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dark Souls PvP is universally garbage and you should be able to ignore it without penalty. Even alt-F4ing when you get invaded is too much of a hassle.

I guess it's good you can ignore it without penalty then.

terrible opinion though Dark Souls PVP rules.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I guess it's good you can ignore it without penalty then.
How? I want to do things like kill bosses, help kill bosses, kindle bonfires, summon friends, etc I open myself up to the possibility of PvP.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

fruit on the bottom posted:

My understanding is that the end result of this strategy would have just ended up with Saruman replacing Sauron as the evil Angel-like being.

Yeah. His failure was of a spiritual nature. The wizards were never supposed to rule over anyone, and certainly not to raise their own orc armies. If he had actually gotten the Ring and taken over Sauron's dark empire that would've been the ultimate failure.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
LOTR nerds are insufferable

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gandalf has a ring of power for all of the Hobbit and LotR, which is another thing that is buried in the appendices / you only find out right at the end.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

We Know Catheters posted:

Being a LOTR nerd is not even close to being the most insufferable thing about me. :smug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gandalf has a ring of power for all of the Hobbit and LotR, which is another thing that is buried in the appendices / you only find out right at the end.
Not just that, but it's the Elven "good vibes" ring that makes everyone perk up and be optimistic, which is one of the reasons why everyone in the Fellowship gets all depressed after he "dies."

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Not just that, but it's the Elven "good vibes" ring that makes everyone perk up and be optimistic, which is one of the reasons why everyone in the Fellowship gets all depressed after he "dies."

Haha that's amazing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

Yeah. His failure was of a spiritual nature. The wizards were never supposed to rule over anyone, and certainly not to raise their own orc armies.

Racism.

All of the Maiar (except Radagast) raise up armies, Gandalf does it by forging relationships with the existing nobility. And by forging relationships I mean bosses people around, conspires with Elves to install a random northerner on the throne of Gondor, and casts spells to drive Theoden into a suicidal frenzy.

The films are far less interesting, and also really bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I like the lotr films

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sassassin posted:

Racism.

All of the Maiar (except Radagast) raise up armies, Gandalf does it by forging relationships with the existing nobility. And by forging relationships I mean bosses people around, conspires with Elves to install a random northerner on the throne of Gondor, and casts spells to drive Theoden into a suicidal frenzy.

The films are far less interesting, and also really bad.

being an edgelord about lotr is ten times cringier than being a regular lotr nerd hth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Characters need a mood ring to tell them how to feel after the death of their friend, mentor and guardian - an excellent book for the ages.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I like to pretend I know what I talk about but in reality I only remember random trivia and the only book I ever read was The Hobbit when I was like 10. I enjoyed the movies though and I think being a LOTR nerd is a lot more acceptable socially than most other fanships now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

being an edgelord about lotr is ten times cringier than being a regular lotr nerd hth

Literary criticism is actually rad as hell.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

:smug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fandoms, for the most part, were and are a mistake.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sassassin posted:

Literary criticism is actually rad as hell.

lol yeah I'm sure you really boned up on the material

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

lol yeah I'm sure you really boned up on the material

I have read The Lord of the Rings, yes.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Reading/books/the written word as an artform are all mostly bullshit. Just watch the movies, those are way more fun, you get to see and hear cool things, and it's over way faster.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

Reading/books/the written word as an artform are all mostly bullshit. Just watch the movies, those are way more fun, you get to see and hear cool things, and it's over way faster.

Movies are a bullshit halfway transitional medium just as television is. Video games are the perfected form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How? I want to do things like kill bosses, help kill bosses, kindle bonfires, summon friends, etc I open myself up to the possibility of PvP.

You said ignore it without penalty, not reap all the benefits of playing online without pvp. You can always play offline and never have to pvp.

I don't get why some people hate it so much. Even if you don't enjoy it (no idea how someone doesn't enjoy it but hey) it's at worst a mild inconvenience that sets you back a few minutes if you lose, that you'll only probably only have to deal with a few times in a play through if you aren't seeking it out.