Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That's kiiiiind of a reach there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nah

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 10, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Honestly there's a specific sort of crypto-fash coastal liberal archetype that Bob fits perfectly into. Every time I see him or Wu with a withered take about dropping moon rocks on red states or whatever I'm reminded of the screaming hell vortex that passes for startup culture.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

Honestly there's a specific sort of crypto-fash coastal liberal archetype that Bob fits perfectly into. Every time I see him or Wu with a withered take about dropping moon rocks on red states or whatever I'm reminded of the screaming hell vortex that passes for startup culture.

people who want more diversity.....amongst the upper class

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy poo poo, I remember that moon rock crap! I always feel bad for people and their family who get doxxed. It's a terrible thing but she always came off as kind of terrible but since, at the time, she was someone to push back against the garbage at the time (gamergate and other online harassment), no one really brought it up and just kind of silently distanced themselves from her.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Here's something really cool - Merritt Kopas from ZEAL has done a big old analysis on the legacy of the Angry Video Game Nerd:

https://medium.com/mammon-machine-zeal/you-cant-go-home-again-the-legacy-of-the-angry-video-game-nerd-54d3fd6ed5ae

It's not exactly the sort of thing you'd usually expect to be written about ol' James but it's a REALLY fun article and actually makes some killer points about just where the AVGN stands nowadays in the world of Internet personalities, having lasted for so much longer than any of them.

To use a wrestling analogy, I kinda think of him as the Chris Jericho of Internet critics in that he's been around so long but is still weirdly relevant even as so much poo poo around him changes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Hemingway To Go! posted:

That's true, but I just find it sort of amusing, and I imagine it would make Bob irate if you brought that factoid up to him.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Archer666 posted:

The funniest and most out of touch thing Bob ever did was his pitch for a Terminator reboot (that he now considers turning into a novel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJMDet82Hk

So the 1% percent now has all manual labor done by robots so the lower class citizens are out of a job and unable to climb the social ladder, and they're the bad guys, meanwhile the Mark Zuckerbergs rule the world? Yeah, sounds like a Bob Chipman idea.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sounds like the backstory to the world of Horizon Zero Dawn. They were living in an automation hellscape with no safety nets where people were slaves to their jobs for fear of losing their citizenship status (as all the jobs moved to China in that game's universe). It also had an obligatory "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" liberal talkshow host excerpt too.

I do love those left-leaning and environmentalist messages in my video games.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember that moon rock crap! I always feel bad for people and their family who get doxxed. It's a terrible thing but she always came off as kind of terrible but since, at the time, she was someone to push back against the garbage at the time (gamergate and other online harassment), no one really brought it up and just kind of silently distanced themselves from her.

I remember some garbage-rear end Op/Ed after the US election where some smug company-man democrat was writing with glee about how the "red states" would collapse without the support of the coasts, which is where the economy and everything good is that subsidizes the rest of the country. It was a big fantasy about how republicans would wither and die without the help of the enlightened diverse capitalists at google and apple. His hatred was disgusting, and especially so because he just acted like 100% of voters in Ohio or wherever voted for Trump and were enthusiastic about him, to say nothing of the absolute grotesqueness of fantasizing about the deaths and suffering of people who voted against your candidate in a presidential election. It was the platonic ideal of what people mean when they complain about "liberals."

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Brianna's still on her running for congress vanity project, I believe. Not that it's going well - surely all that anyone has to say is "lol moonrocks"

Other than that, she is not a nice person.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I like many of Chipman's videos; which are often thoughtful and well-argued if sometimes self-indulgent and repetitive.

His twitter is disappointingly unhinged though; just distorted, overly aggressive ramblings lacking in empathy or insight.

Trying to reconcile the two is difficult, I guess it's a testament to the difference between sitting down and actually working to compose and present a good argument and off the cuff twitter vomit.

Whatever; he's not the first person to get psychologically broken by Trump's election.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 11, 2018

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

Sounds like the backstory to the world of Horizon Zero Dawn. They were living in an automation hellscape with no safety nets where people were slaves to their jobs for fear of losing their citizenship status (as all the jobs moved to China in that game's universe). It also had an obligatory "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" liberal talkshow host excerpt too.

I do love those left-leaning and environmentalist messages in my video games.

You're right, that's super dumb, Ted Faro is the true hero of the story!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Karloff posted:

I like many of Chipman's videos; which are often thoughtful and well-argued if sometimes self-indulgent and repetitive.

One thing I always liked about his movie reviews in particular was that they were generally short and to the point. Unlike other critics I've found generally like to waffle on and on for 30-45 minutes at a minimum.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yeah, it'd be like saying that liking Lemmings but disliking Grand Theft Auto is ironic because they happen to be made by the same people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, it'd be like saying that liking Lemmings but disliking Grand Theft Auto is ironic because they happen to be made by the same people.

Ironic is the wrong word but it's still worth a chuckle that he likes the one game but developers heavily involved in its creation would then go on to make games in the 'bane of his existence' FPS genre.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm about as big of a MovieBob apologist as you're gonna find here, but even I'll admit that he's an absolute idiot at times.

My favorite pathetic Bobism is how weirdly obsessed he is with wanting another live-action Mario Bros movie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

I'm about as big of a MovieBob apologist as you're gonna find here, but even I'll admit that he's an absolute idiot at times.

My favorite pathetic Bobism is how weirdly obsessed he is with wanting another live-action Mario Bros movie.

Worse than that, I want more Looney Toons live action x cartoon movies like Space Jam and Looney Toons: Back in Action.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Worse than that, I want more Looney Toons live action x cartoon movies like Space Jam and Looney Toons: Back in Action.

Worse???

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Roger Rabbit is turning 30 this year. And it still looks and feels a million times better than those other live-action/cartoon movies. It boggles my mind every time I think about it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16876178/youtube-logan-paul-ban-ad-partner-red-monetization-canceled-controversy-google

Youtube's finally doing something Logan Paul.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

Worse???

Wait, people actually non-ironically like Space Jam? I thought that one ended up as more of a meme thing so everyone else just rolled their eyes when you brought it up like you made a pun.

TheMaestroso posted:

Roger Rabbit is turning 30 this year. And it still looks and feels a million times better than those other live-action/cartoon movies. It boggles my mind every time I think about it.

I left RR out because I doubt you'd get all those characters in the same movie again. Even with everyone trying to create an expanded cinematic universe all the time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TheMaestroso posted:

I think the fact the cartoon characters usually had a robot in their spot gave the actors more to play off of then Space Jam where they likely acted off of nothing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

To use a wrestling analogy, I kinda think of him as the Chris Jericho of Internet critics in that he's been around so long but is still weirdly relevant even as so much poo poo around him changes.

This of course makes Doug Walker Kane, who has been around about as long but has been awful the entire time.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

I think the fact the cartoon characters usually had a robot in their spot gave the actors more to play off of then Space Jam where they likely acted off of nothing.

Nope

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well then chock it up to the acting difference between Bob Hoskins and Michael Jordan then.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ok, please tell me there is a cut of Space Jam that removes all of the Looney Tunes and just has the green screen actors.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Some more weird YouTube controversy going on...

Earlier today, a YouTube channel (one that frankly doesn't deserve the oxygen of publicity) put up a video claiming that Shane Dawson is a paedophile, based on comments that he had made on one of his podcasts a few years ago (for those who don't know - Shane is an 11m subscriber channel that kinda got famous for pranks + edgy humour and stuff although that's not what he does now really). It's kinda been getting traction on Twitter, doing the exposed thing, a ShaneDawsonIsOver Party and stuff like that. However, the whole thing has been rather demonstrably proven as a load of bullshit.

-The video in question is a total chop-up job, removing literally all context from what Shane originally said that would make it clear that the whole thing's a joke (not exactly a good one and a very "ooh edgy" one, but a clear joke all the same)
-The channel in question is one of those hideously trashy affairs, putting up the sort of celebrity/YouTuber gossip content that would shame the freaking National Enquirer. Some of their content is...um, kinda suspect itself (posting a video called "Jacob Sartorius MOST SEXUAL PERFORMANCE EVER!!!...Jacob Sartorius is 13)
-Now, it seems to be coming out through leaked e-mails and so forth that the whole thing was a purposeful hit job.

It's kinda getting even more odd now, the guy just put up a (tbh probably faked to hell) video showing a payment made to their PayPal account by a guy who is apparently Logan Paul's manager. The whole thing is a trashfire that I'm not sure how to take: The channel in question has over half a mil subs...what, have they decided to nuke it and try to take down as many people as they can? It's also not stopped horrorpeople like Onision (who hates Shane) spreading the poo poo around.

The poo poo that happens on this platform, seriously. I'm on holiday this month and I didn't want to spend time thinking about an exit strategy but...ugh, it's poo poo isn't it?

In other news, YouTube have given Logan Paul the PewDiePie treatment - his YouTube Red projects have been shelved and he's out of the preferred partner ad program. He's also been given a strike, which will greatly affect his revenue for the next 3 months...that's probably it as far as YT is concerned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loving love YouTube drama so much. It’s like a real life game of thrones and it’s incredible.

I just burned through like 10 episode of baited today and goddamn that whole podcast is godawful but amazing. I love how angry they all get.

Although I legit love Andy Milonakis on it, he’s adds a great counter balance. Same with Chad.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That moviebob guy is hard to look at

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Jimbot posted:

Some people very vocally distanced themselves from her. A common thread I heard was that, behind the scenes, she would speak ill of other women in the gaming community (journalism & players) for, effectively, not being the RIGHT kind of woman/feminist.

But I'm going off second-hand information, so I'll just observe from a distance.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Her political platform seems solid enough. If she gets elected all you can do is see what kind of effort she makes while in office. I'm kind of dubious of someone who comes from money but who knows!

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

CelticPredator posted:

I loving love YouTube drama so much. It’s like a real life game of thrones and it’s incredible.

I just burned through like 10 episode of baited today and goddamn that whole podcast is godawful but amazing. I love how angry they all get.

Although I legit love Andy Milonakis on it, he’s adds a great counter balance. Same with Chad.

Refresher course on Keemstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3TfHjj_e4

Things not mentioned (or were mentioned. I haven't rewatched this video in a while) by idubbz in the video:

Keemstar defended Lizard Squad during an interview with them while they were hacking and DDoSing the ps3 and xbox live
Was caught faking a Halo 3 video of playing against WingsofRedemption (yes the starcraft guy)
Harrassed xbox live players to the point Xbox Community Managers would PREMEMPTLY BAN THE CONSOLE (He sold the system banned consoles on ebay)
Stole Halo Reach beta keys which lead into said xbox CM response
Prank called Microsoft to falsely claim random players were hacked causing their accounts to be banned for months
Uses his fans as an alibi buffer for swatting/harrassment incidents

And this is without mentioning what else the ED article of him covers.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

By "doing something" they mean doing the absolute bare minimum. But it's okay, they'll be doing SO MUCH MORE in the future, including:

- loving over everyone elses' income by aggressively flagging everything as "not ad safe" for the critical launch window of views
- loving over anyone who is seriously trying to discuss death or suicide by removing their monitization and/or deleting their channel without warning
- loving over everyone else by implementing a new bot with no human oversight to pre-emptively gently caress over people

What they won't be doing:
- Taking a long hard look at themselves to see why their top-tier content providers are all shitbags who do lovely things
- Not provide ANY human guidance, support, guidelines or oversight to their top-tier money makers, who are overwhelmingly young, stupid, ego-inflated idiots
- Implement any sort of quality control, or tiered-advertising so that it isn't "all advertisers" or "nothing"
- Find a way to reimburse content creators when their videos are FALSELY demonitized for the majority of their views
- Provide ANY sort of human-facing support

PS: By "finally" you mean, what, a week later, rather than instantaneous like they should have?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Maybe I'm the only one happy to see this but, SGDQ is running right now, and one of the donations incentives is choosing the name for Avatar in the run of Ultima 6. The name that's currently leading right now is 'Spoony'. :unsmith:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lornekates posted:

PS: By "finally" you mean, what, a week later, rather than instantaneous like they should have?

Yes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love Idubbbz so I’ve seen that video multiple times. But Keem actually improved after that and it’s why he’s not dead like Leafy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe I'm the only one happy to see this but, SGDQ is running right now, and one of the donations incentives is choosing the name for Avatar in the run of Ultima 6. The name that's currently leading right now is 'Spoony'. :unsmith:

That's nice.

I hope Spoon gets better one of these days. I hope anyone suffering from mental health issues gets better one of these days.

...I hope I get better one of these days.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Karloff posted:

His twitter is disappointingly unhinged though; just distorted, overly aggressive ramblings lacking in empathy or insight.

Trying to reconcile the two is difficult, I guess it's a testament to the difference between sitting down and actually working to compose and present a good argument and off the cuff twitter vomit.

Whatever; he's not the first person to get psychologically broken by Trump's election.

P. sure he was bad before Trump.

Also wanna say I appreciate the dunking on of the last few pages, less so the D&D chat, and I also appreciate that we managed to not descend into yelling at Kim. Yay thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

I love Idubbbz so I’ve seen that video multiple times. But Keem actually improved after that and it’s why he’s not dead like Leafy.

I mean, you're not wrong but he's still a walking trash bag person.

• Locked thread